Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
House Prospero, the Dukes of Coden, remain ready to safeguard the wealth of the kingdom. Like always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
House Gambol, Dukes of Solad

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I've just been informed by the Royal scribe that a clerical error has been rectified! The Noble Danaru has always been part of the Dukes of Coden, as you all well know. He was never part of Dukes of Gamam! Preposterous!

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Nea posted:

No better name for the house of downer poets than a spontaneous leap for joy! House Gambol, Dukes of Solad.
Any notions for how we'll manage sitting council member? I'm sure we're all eager to take a try at it.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

C... posted:

No better name for the house of downer poets than a spontaneous leap for joy! House Gambol, Dukes of Solad.
Any notions for how we'll manage sitting council member? I'm sure we're all eager to take a try at it.

Real answer: I don't know, rotate out every game maybe?
Fake answer: before every game write a sad poem saddest poem gets the seat this is how succession works

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nea posted:

That's a real word? Uh, learn something new every day.
Not a bad choice.

Nea posted:

Fake answer: before every game write a sad poem saddest poem gets the seat this is how succession works

Random rotation looks good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqv_LUStxDw

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

C... posted:

I would leave each House to self govern, but what I was thinking is either to rotate per Dilemma or per reign. Whoever is the current sitting councilmember would have to have a larger presence while they're in charge, of course, so I guess it also depends on who's able to be around for the voting.

You could even split the role in two and have someone in charge of submitting the vote and someone in charge of the money/bargaining/corruption. Up to you really, as long as everyone who wants to have a go gets a chance to and as long as it's easy to understand who's doing what for all the parties involved I have no objection in leaving this to the players :)

I guess worst case scenario if a House can't manage themselves or the active players are awol I can intervene as a benevolent tyrant and lay down some groundrules.

EDIT: to avoid issues I guess I'll give out an official "guideline", with the caveat that Houses that want to self organize are free to do so.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 6, 2021

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

scavy131 posted:

House Prospero, the Dukes of Coden, remain ready to safeguard the wealth of the kingdom. Like always.

A hmm choice from a Shakespearean view. I propose House Cyfoeth after our area's fantasy Welsh influence, going by those names.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Sighence posted:

A hmm choice from a Shakespearean view. I propose House Cyfoeth after our area's fantasy Welsh influence, going by those names.

I can support this proposal instead of mine, House Cyfoeth does seem more appropriate.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The House Pinchay of Gamam shall ensure that the workers are well paid and the nobility given their due rights in the kingdom

Slaan fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 6, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm just gonna toss my hat in the ring for House Daucus for Olwyn.

Yes, there is still a Discworld reference here, just a more subtle one.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Omobono posted:

That's a real word? Uh, learn something new every day.
Not a bad choice.

I'm gonna be real, I knew at one point but had forgotten the real word and was just looking for something with the right sounds, the fact that it happens to be appropriate was an accident.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Quackles posted:

I'll back this one. Captain Carrot gets my vote.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

House Lethe of The Dukes of Natar is ready to serve ~The Great Mother~... and our Kingdom.

This is pretty good. Praise her!

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Nea posted:

Maybe we rotate every time we lose on a vote? Losing sitting member goes and has some quiet time?
E: by we, I mean my house - y'all do what you like!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Decadent and unmotivated you say? Sign me up for Coden, please. Prospero looks good.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Quackles posted:

Sounds good to me!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Sighence posted:

I like this but I'm gonna need a pronunciation guide

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

//House of Solad player//

Nea posted:

I'm gonna be real, I knew at one point but had forgotten the real word and was just looking for something with the right sounds, the fact that it happens to be appropriate was an accident.

:hmmyes:

By the way, is it possible to have some banners we can put at the start of our posts once we set our house name, with our house flag? Like the small flags in , just with the chosen name written in glorious MsPaint*.
Otherwise I fear I'm it's going to be a loving mess at the start until everyone learns who is playing who.

*ok maybe not paint.

Quackles posted:

House Carrot?

gently caress, that's a really good one. I hate completely respect you already, fellow noble who I'm going to send assassins against to nip this rival competence in the bud

Omobono fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 7, 2021

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Omobono posted:

By the way, is it possible to have some banners we can put at the start of our posts once we set our house name, with our house flag? Like the small flags in , just with the chosen name written in glorious MsPaint*.
Otherwise I fear I'm it's going to be a loving mess at the start until everyone learns who is playing who.

I can make some once the names are decided.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIgSTjzrmRg

This means yes, I megane will provide miniature flags once the House names have been decided :)

EDIT: after seeing your efforts in the Railroad Ink LP, I bow to your artistic prowess.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 7, 2021

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Bellmaker posted:

House Lethe of The Dukes of Natar is ready to serve ~The Great Mother~... and our Kingdom.
This is good! What with the decadence and heretical ideas of "progress" espoused by the other houses, it seems we have our work cut out for us :catholic:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Maybe if we're lucky, we can turn House Natar onto the good word of anime.

I look forward to the inception of House Nyatar (like, nya).

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I too can find myself in House Cyfoeth of Coden

And greetings to our neighbours in Gamam to the north, whose presence never fails to class up any party. Oh, and to the west the ever faithful folks of Natar, with just south of them the folks of Olwyn. What amusing inventions will we see from them, I hope they will visit. And all the way to the west, sadly so far from us the people from Solad, whose lovely poems we do not get to hear quite enough.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Should I move or stay, it seems the numbers have gotten more equal?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
This may seem obvious but it's not in the OP...can we have a rule against story spoilers in the thread just in case? It's possible someone might get story knowledge from watching someone else's playthrough or something.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Quackles posted:

I suppose the winds are blowing in favor of this. The last Lord of Olwyn backs the name House Daucus.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

grandalt posted:

Should I move or stay, it seems the numbers have gotten more equal?

Yeah we have a perfect balance atm, but the Signup will stay open during the game (limited to existing Houses), so if you would like for the sorting hat to place you into another House, do tell and I'll make it happen!

There is a good lead for most House names, so I'll start to prepare the first update (while leaving some time for the remaining members of the Dukes of Gamam to weight in on their House's name since we only have 1 vote so far). The most likely names for the Houses are:

House Pinchay, Dukes of Gamam: I wonder if Spanish is a common language in this region of Ankist - or if this is just a 1998 reference, in which case I should say that they work hard and they play hard.

House Gambol, Dukes of Solad: the perfect name for a House full of depressed inventors.

House Cyfoeth, Dukes of Coden: the Romans used to say nomen omen, so I guess this House's ancestors were saying enw tynged?

House Daucus, Dukes of Olwyn: the members of this House are known for their belief in root vegetable panacea approach to the world issues.

House Lethe, Dukes of Natar: literature and knowledge are, in fact, very bad and everyone should forget about that nonsense.

I'll reach out to megane to have some nice flags made for the Houses while I prepare the update.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 7, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Quick update: The plan is to have the introductory update today and start the first Dilemma tomorrow. I'll also send out Google Sheet links to everyone today so if you don't have PMs please send an email to gloomhavenlp@gmail.com from your preferred communication method, specifying your SA username. This will also be used when/if you need to submit orders on behalf of your House in the future.

whitehelm posted:

This may seem obvious but it's not in the OP...can we have a rule against story spoilers in the thread just in case? It's possible someone might get story knowledge from watching someone else's playthrough or something.
Can't believe I've missed that :doh:

Thanks for the reminder and yes absolutely, this is a strictly no spoiler LP, not even in tags! Also please try to refrain from any oblique reference to future events, if you have any previous knowledge :)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That Italian Guy posted:

House Gambol, Dukes of Solad: the perfect name for a House full of depressed inventors.

That name is from before the incident*. We're keeping it as a light of hope, that one day our genius might lead to, uh, whatever our story objective is*.

Fellow Soladian (Soladine? Soline?)* dukes, our king's** proposal of rotating the leader each dilemma seems good. I propose that Duke/Duchess Nea starts, as befitting of the one who chose the name.
Then, I dunno, alphabetical order? Reverse alphabetical?

*I really need the screen so I can properly know the backstory
**I'd say is appropriate to refer to TIG as the king. Said king is nominally in charge, but with no actual power. Close enough for me.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

You all should have now received a PM with a link to your House's Sheet. Some of you will have received two instead - due to a mixup with a link. Only one of them (the second) should be working, so please make sure to bookmark that one :)

Jossar, scavy131 and Bellmaker, I currently don't have a contact method for you; please send an email to gloomhavenlp@gmail.com from your preferred contact method and you'll use that for thread related comms!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Omobono posted:

That name is from before the incident*. We're keeping it as a light of hope, that one day our genius might lead to, uh, whatever our story objective is*.

Fellow Soladian (Soladine? Soline?)* dukes, our king's** proposal of rotating the leader each dilemma seems good. I propose that Duke/Duchess Nea starts, as befitting of the one who chose the name.
Then, I dunno, alphabetical order? Reverse alphabetical?

**I'd say is appropriate to refer to TIG as the king. Said king is nominally in charge, but with no actual power. Close enough for me.

Sounds good to me, fellow Soladine compatriot, insofar as anything good can emerge as a shining beacon in this dreary and dismal world.

(Alphabetical seems fair enough.)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 7, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

House Gambol, family huddle, this should be a spy-free room.oh who am I kidding

I think that for this run we should try to prioritize marking our second 'cheevo over the other two, and we should see if we can pick an agenda that does not conflict with that objective. Our low priority number means we should go first in picking the agendas this round.

Apart from that, getting a positive sticker this generation wouldn't go amiss but that's in the sea's tides.

E: loving autocorrect

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

That Italian Guy posted:

You all should have now received a PM with a link to your House's Sheet. Some of you will have received two instead - due to a mixup with a link. Only one of them (the second) should be working, so please make sure to bookmark that one :)

Jossar, scavy131 and Bellmaker, I currently don't have a contact method for you; please send an email to gloomhavenlp@gmail.com from your preferred contact method and you'll use that for thread related comms!

Alas, for the first time my lack of PMs has successfully hoisted skywards my petard. Mail sent to ya That Italian Guy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

I threw out House Pinchay because we have a pinchy lobsterboy as our mascot. Does anyone have a more serious name for the Dukes of Gamam?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Slaan posted:

I threw out House Pinchay because we have a pinchy lobsterboy as our mascot. Does anyone have a more serious name for the Dukes of Gamam?

Well, going with the aforementioned Discworld naming scheme, I was planning to toss House Dibbler into the ring, but we're craftsmen, not merchants.

If we need an alternative, here's my thought process: we're hard-working, we build things, and presumably we've got massive overbites. Throw that into Google Translate for Italian and we get House Castoro!

That's "beaver", if you're curious.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Everyone should now have access to their respective House sheet, if that's not the case please let me know!

The trumpets strike three rising notes and eighty-one doves are released as Harald V is crowned king by the Prior Mother of the Cult. The People erupt in a cheer of joy: our hopes of enduring prosperity are renewed with a new king. Foreing dignitaries from Kasuk, Kauppias, Cidlada and Mhuir crowd the royal castle to evaluate the new king and win his favor. The ceremony is followed by a feast lasting for three days and nights along all the streets of Lybra, our capital city. A week later, sitting on his throne behind the grand chiselled door of the Council Room, the new king addresses us for the first time: "Any authority is flickering, and power can be a blessing or a curse for those on whom it is exercised", he says. After a long pause, he adds: "Ruling is an unsolvable dilemma."

Welcome to The King's Dilemma! This is the beginning of our story - or at least, the beginning of one of them. The text above is from our very first Story card; they look like this:

These cards, as the name imply, advance the story of our kingdom and are often added to the Storyboard after a vote. The front has a Storyline symbol in the top right corner, that represents which story the card is part of; these cards oftnen have a signature space and a signature effect on the bottom of the front, which represent the House/nobleman who was responsible for passing the law tied to that storybeat and the possible bonus/penalty their house received for it. For example, a Story card may look like this:

Legend of Special Abilities
By now, you may have seen some of these symbols - either in the example above or in your House's sheet - and you may be wondering what each symbol means. Here's a list of (most of) the symbols we'll encounter during our game:

The Realm Board
Most of the events in the game are going to be tracked on this board:

Time Counter: Every time we resolve a Dilemma by voting on it, the winning outcome will be displayed on it, starting from the right and moving to the left. If we reache the leftmost section (gold with a small skull on it), the King will die of old age if the outcome of the Dilemma has a skull symbol in the back OR if this is the 5th card placed in this slot. This means that a King's reign will, at most, last 11 Dilemmas.

Resource/Stability tracker: Almost every decision will influence the resources on the board, by moving them up (to the right in this case) or down (to the left). Each Resource tends to continue going up when it is rising, or down when it is dropping. This is called Momentum, which is indicated by the color of the Resource marker: If the marker is white-side up, it has Positive Momentum, meaning that it is moving up, and if it is black-side up, it has Negative Momentum, meaning that it is moving down (this is randomly assigned at the start of the first game). If a Resource marker moves in the same direction as its Momentum (such as due to the effects of a Dilemma), it moves 1 additional space and adds a Momentum marker of the same color (white = up, black = down). As long as it has the Momentum marker attached to it, if it moves in the direction of its Momentum again, it moves 2 additional spaces instead. A Resource marker can never have more than 1 Momentum marker. All Momentum is lost if the resource changes direction.

Each time a resource moves up or down the tracker, the Stability marker moves the same amount of spaces. If the Stability marker reaches either end of the Stability Track when applying the outcome of a Dilemma card, the King abdicates and the end of the game is triggered. This can be caused by the King's allies becoming too powerful and forcing him to abdicate so that they can elect their own king (if the Stability marker reaches the top of the tracker) or by a an agry mob forcing him out of power (if the marker reaches the bottom).
End game Scoring changes based on what has caused the reign to be over (King's death, powerful allies, riot).

Storyline tracker: There can be up to 6 distinct storylines happening at the same time - based on the symbol on the Story card - plus one special Event or Trigger card. If a story beat has a mechanical effect, only the topmost card's effect for each "stack" (IE: the one visibile in the Storyline tracker) will influence the game. I will keep a separate chronicle of all the story cards that have been revealed so far, to allow everyone to keep up with the developing story of the Kingdom of Ankist).

Due to the size of the tracker (and since I'd like the text on the Time Counter and Story Cards to be readable), we're going to have our tracker rotated 90°, so that the top will be right and the bottom will be left, like this:

Before proceeding with the first real Dilemma, I would like to lay down some ground rules. I'll specify what can be changed by each House based on their self determination as long as everyone is on board and everyone itt can easily recognize who's doing what.

Sitting Councilmember
  • This is the person in charge of submitting the vote on behalf of their House before the end of the voting window.
  • The duration for the window is 48h unless otherwise specified in the post that starts it. If the window is missed, the default outcome is "Pass and gather power".
  • By default the Sitting Councilmember is rotated after each Dilemma. This can be changed by the House. A Dilemma vote will last on average 48 to 72 hours, in case there is a need of a tie-break by the Moderator. A King's reign will last on average between a week and a month, depending on the Stability and Time counters.
  • Make sure to start your message by displaying your current role, for everyone to know who is taking the decisions for your House in the current vote.
House Treasurer (optional)
  • This is the person in charge of bargaining on behalf of their House before the end of the voting window.
  • By default, this role is officiated by the Sitting Councilmember and it's rotated at the same time. This can be changed by the House. If the roles are officiated by two different people, only the Treasurer can propose/accept an accord with another House.
  • Make sure to start your message by displaying your current role, for everyone to know who is bargaining for your House in the current vote.
The Senate
  • Everyone who doesn't currently have an active Role is encouraged to post (and/or RP if they want to) itt to let their own faction what should be done and to criticize the obviosly wrong stances of the opposition.
  • Always remember that each Dilemma could potentially have far deeped consequences that a simple Resource movement (or none at all!). You are there to let your Active duty kin know what the family really wants.
Rotation
  • By default, the Active Councilmember will be rotated based on the Signup order. This can be changed by the House.
  • By default, the Treasurer (if it exists) will be the next in line to be Active Councilmember. This can be changed by the House, if they decide to split the roles.
  • This is the current Signup order for each House (I'll add this to each House's Google Sheet as well and keep them updated over there):

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 7, 2021

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Senator from House Cyfoeth
I for one welcome the roles our first active Councilmembers will have in shaping the future of this king's reign and the kingdom as a whole.
Truly, the reign of Harald V can be seen as the start of a bright and secure future for the kingdom and the people.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

:siren::siren::siren:
  • Every House has 48h to decide if they want to follow the guidelines or nominate a different Sitting Councilmember(and/or treasurer) for the 1st Dilemma. This can be changed at a later moment, but I'd need to know who to address for the initial Dilemma :)
  • During the same time period, once the Sitting Councilmember has been selected, I will need a PM/Email from them putting all the 6 Hidden Agendas in a scale from Tier 1 (want most) to Tier 6 (want least). This is cause the Hidden Agenda is normally selected with a draft. You will get assigned the highest tier available Agenda based on picking order (one is removed at random before starting the draft). Once Agendas are divided, I'll update every House Sheet to let everyone know their own House's Agenda for the reign of King Harald V.
  • If i get a confirmation for both the Sitting Councilmember and the Agenda priority tier before th 48h limit has expired, I'll proceed with the next update then.
:siren::siren::siren:

Hidden Agendas

Resource Goal
The Resource Goal rewards you for keeping a certain number of Resource markers in specific areas of the Resource Track. The interaction between the differing interests generated by these goals will encourage you to support or compete with the other players to keep the Resource markers in the position you desire. A specific player may be your ally during the current Voting Phase, but strongly oppose you during the next, depending on their personal interests in each specific moment. Try to read the intentions of the other players and deduce their Secret Agenda to gain an advantage during each Voting Phase. NOTE: certain Agendas grant a larger Prestige Points or Crave Points bonus after being used 4 times by your House, according to your House Sheet.

Money Ranking Goal
The bottom of each Secret Agenda card also lists the number of Agenda Points you gain if you are the first, second, or third player with the most Coins at the end of the game. The different Secret Agendas have different scores linked to money; for example, Greedy makes a lot of for the Money Ranking Goal, so a player with this Secret Agenda will be more inclined to accept money from the other players during negotiations. Vice-versa, a player with Rebel makes few for the Money Ranking Goal, so they will probably be more inclined to spend Coins to “buy” the other players and “oil the machine” in their favor. In case of a tie, all tied players share the same position (and get the corresponding score described on their Secret Agenda card). NOTE: aside from this, Coins are only used to bargain. You don't get to save leftover Coins in between reigns (although your starting amount may be modified by achievements or other legacy effects).

Picking Order
The House with the least Prestige is the first to picked, while the House with the most Prestige is the last. During the first game, The order is based on the "nobility" of the House itself, determined by the "House Number" on your House Sheet (the highest the number, the highest the nobility). The picking order for the reign of King Harald V is:
  • First Pick: House Gambol, Dukes of Solad (2)
  • House Cyfoeth, Dukes of Coden (4)
  • House Daucus, Dukes of Olwyn (5)
  • House Pinchay, Dukes of Gamam (7)
  • Last Pick: House Lethe, Dukes of Natar (12)

By the way, since not everyone may be familiar with the way Google Sheets work, if you want to have a look at all the comments left by your Housemates and you don't want to click around cells, you can click on this icon to see a list of all the comments in a "nested structure":

Top right corner, text bubble icon. The comments are in reverse order, with the most recent ones at the top; they are nested in a way similar to old forums/reddit, with a "master" comment being the first comment on one specific cell and all the other comments being nested as "replies" to that one.

I also suggest to clean up old comments by resolving them once they are no longer relevant, to keep things readable. I leave this to each House's self organization for my own sanity :)

EDIT: I'm adding all the additional rules to the section with the same name in the OP, in case you want to have a look at them later on!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Be careful about your decisions if you're not ready for a King's reign to end - just a couple of decisions that send stability in the same direction can end reigns if there's enough of a spike due to dilemma results and existing momentum.