Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
On reflection, my choice of name kinda sucks.

As the first registrant of House Pinchay, which is the far superior name, I would like to retain my role as Sitting Councilman for the duration of my liege's reign. However, if someone else prefers the role and it is the will of my fellow members that they be seated, then for the sake of fairness, I would be willing to step down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

malkav11 posted:

Be careful about your decisions if you're not ready for a King's reign to end - just a couple of decisions that send stability in the same direction can end reigns if there's enough of a spike due to dilemma results and existing momentum.

Momentum is a hell of thing and yes, I've seen Kings being toppled after 3 rounds of voting :v:

EDIT: I've received council from nobleperson C... to raise the access level to the Sheets to "Commenter" from "Viewer". This way it should be easier for each House to ask questions/leave comments on certain details that are only accessible to them without a ton of mental gymnastic or 200 PMs. Please note that the thread is the default comms channel, so only use this to address specific queries/discussion objects that would be difficult to talk about in the main thread without a point of reference. I reserve the right to rever the access level to "Viewer" if this becomes the default way of communication though :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 7, 2021

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Senator of Ganmam

Sir Grandalt Pinchay turns from his tea towards Blastinus.

"I agree, Blastinus should be the sitting councilman of our house. He should be a fine enough guide for us and King Harald V."

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Omobono posted:

That name is from before the incident

Hey, that's King Incident the V, now, our Lord. Best get used to it.

I agree that Nea the Namer should represent us first.
In terms of a deputy to assist in negotiations - perhaps the family member furthest in rotation from the sitting councilman should be our Navigator?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gambol senator

How about the next one in line for sitting councilmember*? This way they get a round of practice with the lower stakes decisions before playing with the big boys and girls?

*which would be me right now and I suck at negotiating :derp:

Agenda: when we get our choice, I'd say to simply go with our most favored one (second favored if unavailable) since we're first pick. Nea the Namer can decide once the choices come in.
Can we ask our sages to invent a spy-repellent spray? We got shark-repellent spray, you'd think spy repellent would be easier.

E: Bargaining questions, are bargains always binding or only some (basically along Twilight Imperium 4 rules).
Example, if party A gets paid X coins for a promise to vote with Y influence on a single future dilemma on party B's demand, can party A renege afterwards?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 7, 2021

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Next in line makes the most sense to me as Navigator, on the basis of wanting people to have a chance to "wake up" before being put in the hot seat.

You think with all the money we've invested in spyglasses, we'd have a better time spotting spies.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

I will humbly accept the responsibility of being Sitting Councilman for the House of Lethis, unless my esteemed bretheren feel that this is not the will of the Mother.

Furthermore, I propose that we follow the system of having the next in line be the negotiator, this being megane for this dilemma.

Question for OP: I didn't see this mentioned, are the kingdom resources modified/reset in some way between reigns, or do they carry over as is?

Covski fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 7, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Although if C... wants the job because they're currently the furthest in play line that's also fine by me.

We good with doing a turnover each dilemma, right? This way there's less lulls for everyone.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Omobono posted:

Although if C... wants the job because they're currently the furthest in play line that's also fine by me.

We good with doing a turnover each dilemma, right? This way there's less lulls for everyone.

No rush, I can bide my time :ocelot:

Per-dilemma sounds good to me, unlike our crabbier Pinchay allies. Once they get a scrap of power into their claws, they hold onto it until death!

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Senator for House Cyfoeth, I'd be fine with a rotation between each dilemma, beginning with Danaru for our first sitting Councilmember. I hold no strong feelings regarding the position of negotiator, whether it be the same as our sitting Councilmember to consolidate their negotiating ability or for the next Councilmember in line.

Alternatively, we can buck tradition and have our vote be democratically selected from inside our house, with the Councilmember making the proposal for the rest of the House's senators to approve. Note:This suggestion isn't necessarily practical as much as maximum chaos, I'm personally for a single empowered councilmember.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Senator for House Cynfoeth, rotation on each dilemma is the less complicated, plus gives me the most time before making any real decisions so I can be over there drinking wine and smoking whatever decadent nobles smoke for recreation in this country learn how the game plays.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Sitting Councilperson (unless otherwise stated) of the House of Pinchay here. If it be the general will of this assembly, then I would be likewise willing to pass along my duties to the next in line at the conclusion of the present dilemma. I was under the initial impression that I would be locked in until the king's demise, so stepping down beforehand didn't occur to me.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Senator of House of Pinchay

Sir Grandalt Pinchay nods at the suggestion.

"It would give me an opportunity to make some suggestions to his majesty. I am fine with that rotation."

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blastinus posted:

Sitting Councilperson (unless otherwise stated) of the House of Pinchay here. If it be the general will of this assembly, then I would be likewise willing to pass along my duties to the next in line at the conclusion of the present dilemma. I was under the initial impression that I would be locked in until the king's demise, so stepping down beforehand didn't occur to me.

Each house does what they want with their succession, it's not an assembly thing.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Olywnians, as interim sitting councilperson by lieu of "First!", I hereby suggest that we maintain that methodology & just go in the present order, rotating each dilemma, unless someone wants to shuffle ranks, including my own! I'll go not first if somebody else wants it.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

oldskool posted:

Olywnians, as interim sitting councilperson by lieu of "First!", I hereby suggest that we maintain that methodology & just go in the present order, rotating each dilemma, unless someone wants to shuffle ranks, including my own! I'll go not first if somebody else wants it.

Fine for you to go first and just to follow the order in our Excel sheet.

That Italian Guy: Any chance you can add a new tab to the Excel sheets labelled "Legend" or similar that includes that very helpful special abilities key and the Realm Board / House Politics info?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Covski posted:

I will humbly accept the responsibility of being Sitting Councilman for the House of Lethis, unless my esteemed bretheren feel that this is not the will of the Mother.

Furthermore, I propose that we follow the system of having the next in line be the negotiator, this being megane for this dilemma.

Question for OP: I didn't see this mentioned, are the kingdom resources modified/reset in some way between reigns, or do they carry over as is?

~The Great Mother~ cares more about our results than our arrangements to fulfill Her Will, so there will be no issue with this decision.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Covski posted:

They reset to the middle point, and then are modified up or down based on ongoing factors like stickers or story cards. (But that doesn't affect starting stability, which is solidly in the middle.)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

~The Great Mother~ cares more about our results than our arrangements to fulfill Her Will, so there will be no issue with this decision.

Agreed; this order is surely by the Mother's design. Otherwise she would not have made it so.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Senator for house Cynfoeth

Yeah, it seems fine to just cycle the title

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

Yo mama so great, everyone in Ankist worships Her.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Well, if I've been elected I'll figure out a fun little duchess character and get ready to make decisions plots and plans once the selection is official.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

oldskool posted:

(Senator for House Olwyn)

Sounds good, as long as we promise to try to listen to one another. Do we want to appoint a Treasurer?

Also, do we want to discuss hidden agendas in public, or just tier them based on the House card? (hint, hint)

BTW, from a mechanical perspective, when does the 'Star' ability on Achievements trigger? If you get it in one game, you get the benefit in the next game?

Quackles fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 7, 2021

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Quackles posted:

BTW, from a mechanical perspective, when does the 'Star' ability on Achievements trigger? If you get it in one game, you get the benefit in the next game?
Achievements are only gained/updated at the end of a game, so, yes.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Blastinus posted:

Second Cousin Thrice Removed of House Pinchay: I agree with the sitting councilperson of House Pinchay. A rotation of the seat in order every dilemma should be fine, assuming that 'pass' is available in case of real life problemsproblems of the delicate sort with maidens and/or sirs needs to be dealt with

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
^^^ Of course real life comes first, so as long as it's clear for everyone itt that there has been a passage of power I see no problem is skipping/replacing someone who is unavailable!

Omobono posted:

E: Bargaining questions, are bargains always binding or only some (basically along Twilight Imperium 4 rules).
Example, if party A gets paid X coins for a promise to vote with Y influence on a single future dilemma on party B's demand, can party A renege afterwards?
That is correct. If House X's "officer" proposes and House Y's "officer" agrees (and provides me with a screenshot of the deal in PM/email), the agreement it's binding. I'd suggest everyone to use very clear wording (without getting into drafting proper contracts and/or rule lawyering excessively) to avoid issues (so do not offer 5 Coins to get a generic favor down the line cause that's not really unforceable and you are basically throwing away your money). If two Houses are in disagreement on the way an accord has been fulfilled, the current Moderator will decide on the matter. Of course, the Moderator can be swayed...If the Moderator is part of one of the Houses in dispute, the King (me!) will decide. The King is notoriously weak willed, though, and will always side with the party offering the largest amount of Coins to influence him. Btw, there is a bargaining section in the OP, in case of doubts :)

Covski posted:

Yes, although I haven't explained how yet cause I wanted to introduce some rules once they become relevant. There are several Legacy effects that will influence the level of any given Resource (among other things) at the start of each King's reign, potentially even giving them positive or negative Momentum from the get go.

TravelLog posted:

That Italian Guy: Any chance you can add a new tab to the Excel sheets labelled "Legend" or similar that includes that very helpful special abilities key and the Realm Board / House Politics info?
That's a good idea and I will do so asap.

Quackles posted:

Also, do we want to discuss hidden agendas in public, or just tier them based on the House card? (hint, hint)

You should probably avoid discussing Hidden Agendas in public, even hinting at stuff could give an advantage to the opposition. I guess this is something that could use comments in the sheet as an exception to the general rule since it's only decided once per King's reign instead of per-dilemma.

The Star symbol means "this bonus triggers at the start of each King's reign" (EDIT: and yeah, you only trigger Achievements completion at the end of a King's reign, during the scoring phase). There's a list of all symbols in one of my latest posts, but I'll also copy that to each House's sheet soon.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 7, 2021

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

If two Houses are in disagreement on the way an accord has been fulfilled, the current Moderator will decide on the matter. Of course, the Moderator can be swayed...If the Moderator is part of one of the Houses in dispute, the King (me!) will decide. The King is notoriously weak willed, though, and will always side with the party offering the largest amount of Coins to influence him. Btw, there is a bargaining section in the OP, in case of doubts :)

Saying you'll ALWAYS side with whoever pays you the most actually seems problematic now that I think about it. For example, House A is the current Moderator, then posts "Deal to accept payment of 20 coins from House B in return for (insert action House A was going to do anyway) accepted". House B objects because they made no such deal, but House A pays "the King" 10 coins to resolve in their favor (they don't even need evidence?). Either House B has to live with it, losing 20 coins while House A gains 10 after their bribe, or they can pay a higher bribe still losing a high amount of coins while House A isn't penalized at all. Then House A just goes and does it again and again to other houses bankrupting everyone (and since they're the richest house, they become Moderator each turn even if other houses try for it).

This example is kind of absurd and it would be really obvious what they're doing to everyone but the rule says you're going to side with whoever bribes the most no matter what. Can't you just enforce the deals yourself without bribes (have a rule against editing "deal posts" just in case)?

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 8, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Well I would have to receive a screenshot with an officer of House B agreeing with the absurd proposal of House A first, so this is probably a very marginal case to beign with :) (also the Moderator would have to be part of either House A or B). The OP has the "bargaining" rules that include the need to strike it itt and the need for a screenshot of the agreement to be sent to me for it to be valid.

That said, we need some kind of objective method to decide such marginal cases; and "amount of Coins offered" is as objective as it comes - especially considering Coins are already part of a "spend them for bribes or save them for score" mechanic to begin with.

EDIT: also to reiterate...by the normal rules of the game, if the agreement is "give X Coins > receive Y Power on the Aye for the current vote" or something like that (and it's concluded with valid proof), the agreement is automatically biding with no further discussion. I expect most people will only enter in agreements that are similarly automatically eforceable, so bribing the King is a marginalx2 case, imo.

EDIT: spelling, clarifications.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 8, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The king can intervene only after a bargain has actually been struck and there's a disagreement on execution when one of the parties is the current moderator.
Considering all communications is supposed to happen in-thread anybody trying to fake a bargain is in for a bad time. As in, actual SA mod intervention because :wtc: in trying to cheat in a fun narrative game.

(Which I fully expect to metaphorically lead to a lot of cut throats and stabbed backs but that's neither here nor there)

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Yeah, if there's any backstabbing to do, it'll all be out in the open.

Which I suppose makes it frontstabbing instead.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

oldskool posted:

I had meant to post much earlier that I was fine with the "default" order suggested by the king in these matters, including the role of treasurer staying with the sitting councilmember.

I do have mechanics questions, mostly down to the differences between in-person and online play, I guess. So, achievements are secret until completely fulfilled, right? Since at that point they affect the overall game. However, in person, marking the boxes would be, well, a noticeable action, even if the achievement isn't fulfilled yet. I guess what I'm asking is if we'll have some notification when rival houses are making progress of some kind on their side of their house card, or if it's going to be a huge surprise to everyone else when House Daucus kicks down a fifth peasant while no-one else is looking and unlocks the secrets of immortality. (This is not an actual goal, it is a joke example)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I do have mechanics questions, mostly down to the differences between in-person and online play, I guess. So, achievements are secret until completely fulfilled, right? Since at that point they affect the overall game. However, in person, marking the boxes would be, well, a noticeable action, even if the achievement isn't fulfilled yet. I guess what I'm asking is if we'll have some notification when rival houses are making progress of some kind on their side of their house card, or if it's going to be a huge surprise to everyone else when House Daucus kicks down a fifth peasant while no-one else is looking and unlocks the secrets of immortality. (This is not an actual goal, it is a joke example)

They're screens, so it isn't obvious what you're marking and you always mark at least Prestige or Crave after a reign. And generally marking off a box for the hidden agenda you've selected unless you for some reason have to take one for the fifth time.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What about bargains like "We'll pay you # coins in exchange for you voting our way on the next future vote that deals with [Influence] [military matters] [etc]"?

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Quackles posted:

What about bargains like "We'll pay you # coins in exchange for you voting our way on the next future vote that deals with [Influence] [military matters] [etc]"?

Since the dilemmas don't usually explicitly say what they're going to affect, just give general ideas I don't know how practicable those kind of deals would really be, also there'd likely need to be more stipulation in terms of Affirmative or Negative vote and for how much power when voting. Having a deal to vote a certain way on the next vote or something would probably work, but the wording doesn't usually explicitly what's going to change until after the dilemma is voted on.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

I think something like "we will vote Yea this time, as you've asked; in exchange, during the reign of this king, the next time we say Dragonfly you will abstain" is a totally fun and enforceable deal... if the king lives long enough for it to matter.
E: reread the OP; favours for favours is not in favour.

Something like "we'll abstain this round, but for the next three rounds if you don't vote with us you pay us a dollar", even?

Lots of possibilities for fun, doable weirdness I feel.

C... fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 8, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Oblivion4568238 posted:

So, achievements are secret until completely fulfilled, right? Since at that point they affect the overall game. However, in person, marking the boxes would be, well, a noticeable action, even if the achievement isn't fulfilled yet.
Yeah achievements are revealed when completed; and yeah at the end of the game everyone is scribbling down on their secret screen at the same time, so it's not really easy to figure out who's doing what.

Quackles posted:

That is acceptable since Dilemmas show on their front which resources are going to be impacted and if positively or negatively so (Although at times a vote will influence other hidden resources or have other consequences altogether). It could be a deal with the devil for the House agreeing, since they don't know in advance what the Dilemma they are promising to vote on is about, of course.

C... posted:

Something like "we'll abstain this round, but for the next three rounds if you don't vote with us you pay us a dollar", even?

Lots of possibilities for fun, doable weirdness I feel.
That is also acceptable cause it has clear, objective "X for Y" stakes.

And when I say "favour<>favour" is not possible as an agreement, I only mean in the specific game terms - you could strike one of these, but they are not binding or enforceable in any way (or: nothing stops you from saying to another House "if you abstain, we will do the same"...but it's just words. You can change your mind any time).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 8, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

EDIT: moving to the start of the new page for visibility.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 8, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Question - so do we get to see where the resource tracks start at the start of a game before we pick hidden agendas? (I mean, I personally don't get to pick this round, but generally speaking.)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Quackles posted:

Question - so do we get to see where the resource tracks start at the start of a game before we pick hidden agendas? (I mean, I personally don't get to pick this round, but generally speaking.)
Good question! I had included a screenshot in a previous update, but it was really lost in the wall of info, so here it is again (and I've added it to the post above as well). Resource "color" is randomized during the first game, but it depends on legacy effects for the following ones.

Current Resources

EDIT: ah, also you should now be able to see a cheat sheet with the meaning of almost every symbol in the game in the second tab of your House Sheet!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Also: For purposes of keeping order, would it be possible to have a 'table of contents' in the OP that links to all the Dilemma cards and their resolutions as they are decided? (So there'd right now be one entry linking to card 0, celebrating the coronation of the king.)