Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
In regards to the "fireplace" thing in the quest book in The Winter Rescue, I think it's referring to the fact that you can have a gap above the campfire in your shelter without ruining your heat. I'm not sure how much tolerance exactly for it there is, but having walls around the campfire in a U-shape, even a large shape like in a shelter, seems to contain the heat and allows you to walk around near the campfire during a snowstorm without having to huddle.

Additionally, if you have a sleeping bag I think you can sleep to skip night without using fuel in your campfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Arrath posted:

GTNH: Talk to me about cable loss:

Let's say I have a LV bus bar of 4 steam turbines, spaced 1 block apart, all facing and feeding a 7-long 4x copper cable with -2eu/m.

If, for example, I have a machine tied onto that cable across from a turbine such that the energy path is one block, does it get hit with 1 tile of loss? All 7? Is the energy generation and delivery simulation so detailed that a machine making a demand does pathdinding over the cable and finds the closest turbine with free capacity?

Direct feeding every machine with a dedicated turbine is beyond my resources at the moment so I'm thinking of a way to power a decent spread of machines that is a balance between material investment and energy loss.

In general, but especially early on, you will want to use cables of the lowest possible voltage tier for the power you're using on that line. If you were using 1x Silver cable (512 eu, 1 amp) and you sent 2 amps of LV (64 total EU), the cable would burn because you exceeded the amperage value. Regular copper cables have a 2 eu/block loss so they are just way, way worse than tin cables for an LV power setup. Later cables have higher amp values per blockso there's a lot more choice but stick with tin at LV.

As for the way things send power, everything is done by request, so yes the machine will send out a request for EU over the cable and the closest block that can provide will do so. Each packet that is sent will lose total EU according to the cable as it travels, and I believe battery buffers and other power transfer blocks also have a 1 EU cost associated with them (so you can't chain battery buffers for fake superconductor effects).

It's totally fine to feed all your machines on one fat 4x cable (switch to tin, though. Or Redstone alloy NOT RED ALLOY if you have the EBF). Just put your lower consumption machines like the wiremill towards the end of the cable and be careful if you run an arc furnace or thermal centrifuge as they are 3 and 2 amp machines that will happily starve the rest of the line.

Also don't connect your turbines in a line! You can face them up and down now so you can crowd 4 of them around the same block of cable at the start of the line so you're not losing efficiency and you can fit more machines around each cable

As an example, here's my LV line: Canning Machine, Bending Machine, Wiremill, Assembler, Lathe, Cutting Machine, Distillery, Extractor, Forge Hammer. Up top is Simple Washer, Thermal Centrifuge, Chemical Bath, Electrolyzer. This is by no means an optimal setup I am just lazy and once a machine is down it usually stays.

And the other side: Fluid Extractor, Compressor, Chemical Reactor, Mixer, Forming Press, Arc Furnace, Circuit Assembler, Centrifuge, Polarizer

And just for fun my Thaumcraft Basement

And this is my giant steam tank, still in use powering the LV line (and a few random things like the spruce farm crop manager and the Silicon Solar Grade Poly SI machines). HP Solars are cheap! Spam the poo poo out of them! Make sure you have enough water, though, this has 3 dedicated water tanks at 90% humidity! I always meant to add a fourth row of boilers but never got around to it and have since moved on from steam. Poor, lonely pipe.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RocketMermaid posted:

Modded Minecraft: imagine 11 LV asses on the edge of a factory

Please Greg, he had a life

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

In regards to the "fireplace" thing in the quest book in The Winter Rescue, I think it's referring to the fact that you can have a gap above the campfire in your shelter without ruining your heat. I'm not sure how much tolerance exactly for it there is, but having walls around the campfire in a U-shape, even a large shape like in a shelter, seems to contain the heat and allows you to walk around near the campfire during a snowstorm without having to huddle.

Additionally, if you have a sleeping bag I think you can sleep to skip night without using fuel in your campfire.

Been playing some more Winter Rescue and did some testing, and funnily enough it seems like the best way to get heated up quickly is to put the campfire on like a "Pedestal" of some kind, basically have it one block above the floor. Been trying that and it has been extremely effective, maybe a bit too much even. For some reason it feels like the heating is also somewhat inconsistently applied on all sides of the campfire, because when I placed it like essentially a brazier in the middle of my general work area, one of the diagonally adjacent spots got so hot that unless it was full-on blizzard time, I was taking damage instantly even when just walking through it. Tested this with other ones, including ones that were basically free standing outside and they all got one block diagonally that is getting heated much more than others, and seemingly in the same direction for all of them.

Otherwise, I kinda came around on the stone layer stuff a bit, biggest thing was realising that I guess Shale is just the topmost stone layer in my area and underneath is a lot of more variation, not sure if I am just unlucky with whatever is near the surface but it did make me assume it was gonna be the same for anything further below the ground too. New annoyance now is iron and how everything wants iron sheets, because babysitting that bloomery constantly is so much fun (Wonder if I can make it taller than the two blocks/8 ingots per run worth I got now though). Probably should beeline a way of producing iron quicker/with less manual input next

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Looks like the campfire is hotter in one corner because of how coordinates work. Either the player or the campfire has coordinates tied to a corner of the space they take up rather than the center, and the campfire code isn't made to compensate for the error. It also warms you based on how close your face is to the fire, so if you put it on a pedestal your face is on the same y-level. My advice is to just leave it on the ground. The hottest part of the campfire's effect seems to be the northwest corner, at least for me.

On another, heat-related note, farming is annoying. You have to run the generator to plant seeds, that's fine. Most crops keep growing when the generator runs out of fuel, but saplings won't grow unless the generator is running. That's also fine, the generator has good range so you can put a lot of saplings down to easily come out ahead in charcoal. What's NOT fine is that when it gets cold and it snows the pickier crops will lose all their growth unless you have the generator running. I don't know how you're supposed to keep the generator running 24/7, and I'm not sure it's worth it anyway?
I put glass over my crops to prevent snow from getting on them but I left a bit of my farm exposed to the sky to test if that mattered and it looks like snow won't accumulate on farmland anyway so maybe it didn't matter.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm sure it's been said before but dang GTNH really does nail a sense of accomplished progression, even if it's so minimally incremental as "sweet I can make plates 2:3 now!" Or "screws 1:4!" Or "pipes without burning wrench and hammer durability!" Or "haha gently caress off fiddly rotor recipe, I'll just extrude you now"

I was excited to tab trough NEI and realize a cutting machine would double my casing yield thus make circuits that much less of a drain on my steel, of all things.

I went from struggling to craft a pair of circuits for another machine to making 48 circuits just to have a stockpile!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Arrath posted:

I'm sure it's been said before but dang GTNH really does nail a sense of accomplished progression, even if it's so minimally incremental as "sweet I can make plates 2:3 now!" Or "screws 1:4!" Or "pipes without burning wrench and hammer durability!" Or "haha gently caress off fiddly rotor recipe, I'll just extrude you now"

I was excited to tab trough NEI and realize a cutting machine would double my casing yield thus make circuits that much less of a drain on my steel, of all things.

I went from struggling to craft a pair of circuits for another machine to making 48 circuits just to have a stockpile!

Yeah this keeps going forever. Yesterday I built a Large Chemical Reactor, acquired just enough Radon through sifting thorium for a quantum eye so I could make an EV emitter for the EV Circuit assembler. I have to put together 8 Nanomainframes (T7 circuits) to make the control computer for the T2 rocket.

But before that matters I also need to process the tugstate I've been building up passively into tungstensteel. I also think I'll finish setting up the electrical stimulators in the Explosive Bee alveary to speed up ITNT production since i'll need quite a bit for the various rocket components.

Oh and I finally upgraded my goggles of revealing and boots of the traveler to the nanosuit versions because handling the Radium was giving me 10 minute radiation sickness! I'm so stupidly fast now it's great.

If you want to conserve even more steel from circuits look at the different vacuum tube recipes in the assembler! The best recipe requires Redstone Alloy (a blast furnace metal), but using annealed copper cables (make in an arc furnace) plus molten red alloy yields 8 vacuum tubes per 4 steel rods, which is 4x the steel efficiency of the hand crafting recipe. I continued using the basic LV circuit recipe for a long time because the next tier actually uses diodes which are a huge pain until you get easy access to gallium.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I also need to process the tugstate I've been building up passively

i interpret this as a rather flowery term for "gooning"

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Yeah this keeps going forever. Yesterday I built a Large Chemical Reactor, acquired just enough Radon through sifting thorium for a quantum eye so I could make an EV emitter for the EV Circuit assembler. I have to put together 8 Nanomainframes (T7 circuits) to make the control computer for the T2 rocket.

But before that matters I also need to process the tugstate I've been building up passively into tungstensteel. I also think I'll finish setting up the electrical stimulators in the Explosive Bee alveary to speed up ITNT production since i'll need quite a bit for the various rocket components.

Oh and I finally upgraded my goggles of revealing and boots of the traveler to the nanosuit versions because handling the Radium was giving me 10 minute radiation sickness! I'm so stupidly fast now it's great.

If you want to conserve even more steel from circuits look at the different vacuum tube recipes in the assembler! The best recipe requires Redstone Alloy (a blast furnace metal), but using annealed copper cables (make in an arc furnace) plus molten red alloy yields 8 vacuum tubes per 4 steel rods, which is 4x the steel efficiency of the hand crafting recipe. I continued using the basic LV circuit recipe for a long time because the next tier actually uses diodes which are a huge pain until you get easy access to gallium.

Yeah, even in UV I'm like "I have about 30M helium plasma now, but if I'm going to smelt all this neutronium I'd better build a few more fusion rings so I can start generating power from boron plasma."

Side note, I wish the TC4 Infusion Interceptor quest were actually in a TC-related tab instead of the AE2 one - I had no idea it was basically an "instant infusion" machine until after I spent the time to craft 30 Ichorium. :suicide:

Also, now that I have the Awakened Ichorium Pickaxe, it's so weird to go into the Bedrock dimension and see standard Minecraft ores.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Loot bags are such a tease. I finally broke into MV so I converted my stash of LV bags into 6 MV bags and rolled the dice.

8 apples, twice. Rubber tree sapling. 4 wooden pressure plates. :negative:

But it turned around on the last three: 8 diodes, an elevator (completing the quest and netting me a 2nd, hello vertical base), and 8 Damascus steel.

Checked out the steel, 5x handle durability multiplier!!! Immediately chucked it into the smeltry...nothing. Ah poo poo okay let's check nei...MV extractor. poo poo, I have more pressing needs than that for my bare stash of MV circuits.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Arrath posted:

Ah poo poo okay let's check nei...MV extractor.

Do you mean MV extruder? If so, then no, you don't have anything better to do with your MV circuits than that... except maybe an LV circuit assembler. The MV extruder is AMAZING.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Do you mean MV extruder? If so, then no, you don't have anything better to do with your MV circuits than that... except maybe an LV circuit assembler. The MV extruder is AMAZING.

Whoops, yeah. Damned keyboard.

But yeah I was thinking my approach would be: mv steam turbine, mv electrolyzer, then then extruder and/or circuit assembler. Which I think I can just barely scrape the resources together for. If the extruder is just that good I might bump it up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Arrath posted:

Whoops, yeah. Damned keyboard.

But yeah I was thinking my approach would be: mv steam turbine, mv electrolyzer, then then extruder and/or circuit assembler. Which I think I can just barely scrape the resources together for. If the extruder is just that good I might bump it up.

Don't bother with the MV turbine. Make four LV turbines and an LV transformer, and transform the current up by hitting the transformer with a soft hammer. MV electrolyzer is also good, and fortunately it is super cheap. My order would be LV circuit assembler -> MV electrolyzer (if you are having trouble coming up with alumina) -> MV extruder.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If you're running any combustion engines, go MV combustion. Steam Turbines get worse in MV and HV and are probably not worth the effort. Get the LV Circuit Assembler, then the MV Electrolyzer, then the MV Extruder. After that, it's whatever else you want but I found MV to be a relatively short tier so you may not want to bother investing in tons of MV machines. Get by with what's required, like the MV Assembler, and look forward to HV more, because that's when I found it worthwhile to upgrade many of my machines.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I suppose I should look into the transformer recipes, huh.

There is a lot of stuff I skipped in the LV tree I'll have to look back at, for sure. Oil/chemical stuff, largely. Haven't even made a battery yet lol.

But yeah, thanks for the tips! I saw the efficiency dip on the MV turbine but didn't figure it was the end of the world, otoh LV stuff is much more manageable to craft so 4x the turbines it is!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Arrath posted:

I suppose I should look into the transformer recipes, huh.

There is a lot of stuff I skipped in the LV tree I'll have to look back at, for sure. Oil/chemical stuff, largely. Haven't even made a battery yet lol.

But yeah, thanks for the tips! I saw the efficiency dip on the MV turbine but didn't figure it was the end of the world, otoh LV stuff is much more manageable to craft so 4x the turbines it is!

It's less that the efficiency is good or bad, and more that it's not worth the MV circuits nor the aluminium right now. Unlike the machines in question, which have discrete, irreplaceable utility when upgraded, you can use up-transforming to do the same thing as the MV steam turbine. Plus, steam infrastructure is already pretty long in the tooth in MV. Ideally, you should be looking for an alternatively like benzene or oil.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's less that the efficiency is good or bad, and more that it's not worth the MV circuits nor the aluminium right now. Unlike the machines in question, which have discrete, irreplaceable utility when upgraded, you can use up-transforming to do the same thing as the MV steam turbine. Plus, steam infrastructure is already pretty long in the tooth in MV. Ideally, you should be looking for an alternatively like benzene or oil.

That makes sense!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
For loot bags, just hang on to everything until you have an EBF that can process stainless steel (one that runs at HV). At that point you can progress in Thaumcraft enough to make the Thaumic Restorer.

Why does that matter? Almost all lootbags have a high chance of rolling on a trash table instead of the real loot table, which is where the saplings and poo poo are coming from. Combining a lootbag with a fortune 3 book and a specific item per bag (a motor of that bag's tier for the voltage tier bags) lets you eliminate the trash from the loot tables.

Bibliocraft has a method of duplicating enchanted books by making a template (at the cost of 40 levels for fortune 3), and the resulting chase can make 3 books. Sounds pretty mid until you make 2 books, then put the chase in the Thaumic Restorer to heal the durability. Make 2 more books and repeat forever for one ink and one book per fortune 3 book. It also takes barely any Instrumentum to restore the chase because it's literally 2 durability (I think it's 1 essentia per 8 durability)

It takes an infusion altar to craft the restorer which needs at least a greatwood wand (stainless steel screws) and the altar needs eyes of ender (made in the HV chemical reactor) so that's the gateway to finally pulling actual loot from lootbags.

Honestly it's not worth opening HV and EV bags because IV lootbags have insanely valuable things, the biggest prize being ender chests and ender tanks. It is absolutely worth 9 HV bags for the single IV bag.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So uh, how do you get apples in The Winter Rescue? Oaks aren't dropping any.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Have you searched NEI to see if there are any new kinds of trees or saplings?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Tombot posted:

Have you searched NEI to see if there are any new kinds of trees or saplings?

There are a bunch of new saplings but none of them specify apples. I guess I'd have to collect them all to find out.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Man I cannot figure out how you're supposed to deal with temperature requirements for animals in The Winter Rescue. I remembered I found some lava underground so I went down there and no, it's barely warm at all. Standing next to it and the environmental temperature is still -14 degrees. Domesticated animals will DIE if the ambient temperature is negative according to the wiki, and there's just no way I'm going to constantly shove charcoal into a generator to keep temperatures positive; even if I did that it's not hot enough because the T1 generator caps out at +10 degrees and the weather is usually below -10, sometimes as bad as -16.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 8, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I have never seen a minecraft mod that handles temperature well. The game and its systems do not have nearly enough infrastructure to handle it well and all temperature awareness is extremely local and hyper-pronounced, plus, more importantly, it adds nothing. Temperature has only ever been ways to interrupt your actual play with times where you have to sit in place (by heat or in water) because the lava you were mining near was too cold, or you're overheating and about to die of heatstroke because there's a torch somewhere in your work room.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I have never seen a minecraft mod that handles temperature well. The game and its systems do not have nearly enough infrastructure to handle it well and all temperature awareness is extremely local and hyper-pronounced, plus, more importantly, it adds nothing. Temperature has only ever been ways to interrupt your actual play with times where you have to sit in place (by heat or in water) because the lava you were mining near was too cold, or you're overheating and about to die of heatstroke because there's a torch somewhere in your work room.

TWR doesn't do anything like the latter, except when there's a snowstorm. In normal weather you can just walk around with straw-stuffed armor and be completely fine even in -16 degree weather (which is a little silly but convenient), but when it snows you cannot be outdoors, and ideally you should be by a campfire or other source of significant warmth. I have gradually discovered that certain blocks influence warmth, and heat reflects off of blocks as well, but I have yet to find any fuel-free method of keeping things warm to the degree that is required for livestock. I don't know, maybe the pack is designed for multiplayer so that there is enough time to go around to keep the Generator fed without making it a huge chore to get anything else done. Like, if there's five players in a base then you can spend 1/5th of the collective time on making sure the generator is full and charcoal stockpiles are high. In single player it's horrendous though. 8 charcoal lasts like 5 minutes or something.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 7, 2024

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

TPV coils! Now I can finally make tungstensteel! Also the enderium and crystalline alloy I need to build dimensional transceivers so I can get oil into my personal dimension.

Four hours of smelting and half my entire fuel stockpile but it's the last big upgrade I needed to push to IV tier and the T2 rocket. Other than like, actual power infrastructure and a coherent AE system. But it's great to tick off another big goal like a coil tier.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh I misjudged the temperature of lava in TWR, it's just really cold underground. The lava pool is like +5 degrees, that's pretty good. Not quite enough to keep animals alive passively but with the generator it'll work. If you cover it up it severely reduces the heat though, which means I'd have to test various transparent/partial blocks to see if there's something that would keep animals out of the lava without ruining the heat.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Tbh it is kinda weird with TWR how lava gets like no mention in the quests and such (at least for as far as I got) and is seemingly only implemented in a "I guess it warms you, but not too much else you'd just build around it" kinda way. Especially because from what I know and remember of Frostpunk lore, the actual heat of the generators is largely geothermic with coal being used to help pump it or something, compared to the TWR one where the coal is apparently the main source of heat that you just burn in a fancy pile. Kinda feels like wasted potential when Minecraft already has stuff like pockets of lava to find and mods that add piping liquids and such, yet the generator is just a block you feed some coal into and it emits a warmth aura. Though I also have yet to get to the later parts of the pack, maybe once I am past TFC-lite and at whatever the tier 2 generator is, it will be actually be a bit more involved.

Feels like I have just been kinda making GBS threads on the modpack and nothing else in here and I am sorry about that. I guess it just hits a certain spot for me since it feels like there is something really neat almost there, but it doesn't quite manage to live up to it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Lol I just found out that if you catch on fire in TWR you take both fire damage AND overheating damage which kills you in like 5 seconds. Insane.

Also it seems that a single block of lava doesn't any noticable heat. So lava is basically useless for warmth.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 9, 2024

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A multiblock question: Can I mix n match tiers of hatches or do they have to be unitary?

E.g. my first ebf, festooned with LV in/output hatches and busses as the quest leads you to do. I'm ready to upgrade that be directly supplied by MV (lol no I am not, I need a laser engraver and a flawless emerald to make components of the energy hatch and and...), can I do so just by swapping out the energy hatch(es) or do I need to hit all the LV components and upgrade them too?

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Most multiblocks don't care about item/fluid hatch tiers (although there are exceptions). EBF you can use whatever. I'm still using LV input busses on mine while they run at IV.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
Started playing GTNH (mainly because I get lots of downtime at work). I'm almost ready to go to the nether for the first time. I'm planning to build my standard blast proof box around the other side. Is there anything I should keep an eye out for over there? Any warnings? I've heard that the nether in NH is quite difficult.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

American Dad posted:

Most multiblocks don't care about item/fluid hatch tiers (although there are exceptions). EBF you can use whatever. I'm still using LV input busses on mine while they run at IV.

Sweet thanks

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Hatches: mix and match, other than energy hatches. Not that anything bad will happen just there's no point to having say 1 MV and 1 LV energy hatches.

Nether: I would say make a hangglider, a Longsword, and a crossbow. The mobility of the longsword dash-jump is awesome and really helps traverse the nether. Lots of the mobs spawn as always infernal (blazes, wisps) and are therefore super dangerous. Best to kill them at range. Since the first nether trip is pre-LV a wooden or slime crossbow with alumite tipped bolts will carry you easily (use the moss from the quest on the bolts!)

Just dip the nether as little as possible for Sulfur and leave it for later. As soon as you have some aluminum and an assembler you can make an adventure backpack, porkchop it into a pig backpack, then get struck by lightning from creating a twilight forest portal to get the zombie pigman backpack which gives permanent fire resistance. At that point the nether is a lot easier.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MV also brings the copterpack, which is excellent flight. Being able to fly makes the nether a lot less scary.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

be aware of vampire pigmen, you need to kill them only with a wooden sword. they're immune to everything else. or just run (the correct approach)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
You can also turn them off, alongside other similar Special Mobs, in the config.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Or completely remove Special Mobs because it's a dumb bad mod

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

see also: infernal mobs

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I turned off special and infernal mobs and didn't look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
I think sticks are also effective against vampires.