Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sleep through the nights.

Your #1 priority for starting a new world should be collecting enough wool to make a sleeping bag or bed so you can sleep at sunset. Then you can focus on gearing up with iron armor and tools, making a couple stacks of torches, collecting a stack of food, making a crafting table on-a-stick and an iron or gold sophisticated backpack then start exploring the surface of the world. Modded Minecraft actually has loot worth finding in the treasure chests you find in dungeons, villages and other points of interest, so doing a lot of exploring first is actually viable instead of being forced to immediately settle down to build a base.

ATM has YUNG's Better Dungeons, which are multi-level structures with increasing difficulty that are accessible from the surface by various different buildings with spiral staircases and also When Dungeons Arise which produces a lot of weirder structures. When you find a structure, place your bed and set your spawn before exploring. YUNG's dungeons typically have a room next to the bottom of the spiral staircase that has a bed/crafting table/furnaces/etc. just waiting for you. When exploring dangerous places you should spam torches to remove spawnable locations and temporarily wall off tunnels to prevent mobs from pathfinding to you.

Be sure to activate any waystones that you find as you explore, they'll make it easy for you to fast travel around the world. Villages typically have one, and you'll find them randomly in the world.

If you're felling particularly confident, you can stay awake during the night and wait for Apotheoic Bosses to spawn -- they'll make a noise, generate a line of text in chat, a glowing column of light and a highlighted mob outline. They're guaranteed to drop at least one piece of affixed gear, rarity materials that you can use to affix your own tools and armor and gems that you can slot into your affixed equipment to do a lot of different useful things. You'll also find gems in loot chests, which are useful to keep around if you have the inventory space.

ATM, like basically all Minecraft modpacks, has a gravestone mod which nullifies most of the death penalty other than making the corpse run.

If you hold the key that's in your inventory after you respawn, you'll see a glowing trail leading you to your grave, and you'll be invisible to enemies and kind of floaty to glide across gaps if you don't interact with anything or attack enemies. Plus, every time you die you unlock more of the secrets of death.

A nice side effect of exploring the world searching for valuable loot is that you'll fill in your Journey Map, and find all sorts of beautiful places to build your base. Once you're spoiling for choices, you can settle down some place nice and start climbing up the tech tree of whatever magic or machine mod strikes your fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
i'm building a fluid nuke setup in GTNH. I've got a thermal monitor from some lootbag. how do i hook it up to my fluid nuke using redstone to make the nuke auto turn off if it gets too hot?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

midnight77 posted:

i'm building a fluid nuke setup in GTNH. I've got a thermal monitor from some lootbag. how do i hook it up to my fluid nuke using redstone to make the nuke auto turn off if it gets too hot?

Slap it onto the side of the pressure vessel blocks. It might need to be close to the center, they have a max range and I don't remember what it is. Then, configure it, and any time the heat is above the listed value it will output a redstone signal.

(that's a NOT gate next to the thermal monitor, you don't need it)

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Slap it onto the side of the pressure vessel blocks. It might need to be close to the center, they have a max range and I don't remember what it is. Then, configure it, and any time the heat is above the listed value it will output a redstone signal.

(that's a NOT gate next to the thermal monitor, you don't need it)

you got some more pictures? i'm not great at redstone stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

midnight77 posted:

you got some more pictures? i'm not great at redstone stuff.

If you're not good at redstone stuff, my first suggestion would be not to use fluid nukes. They are extremely fragile and will explode if mishandled. A nitrobenzene setup in IV will not only not explode, but will do way more EU/t (3A ZPM with an XLGT using HSS-E rotors on fast mode.)

That being said, if you want to keep doing it anyways: These are screenshots of older builds I dug these out of my screenshots folder. I don't have those maps any more, so I'm not sure how helpful they will be.

And a similar build from 2022:

The idea is the same: think of all the ways the fluid nuke can explode, use fluid detector covers (and that heat detector cover), and configure them to output a redstone signal if the failure condition isn't met. Then, AND them all together, and use the output from that to turn the reactor on and off.

A list of failure scenarios/otherwise from memory:
* Not enough cold coolant available to go into the reactor.
* Heated coolant level inside a buffer tank is too high.
* Not enough distilled water in the Large Heat Exchangers.
* Heat in the reactor is too high.
* LSC is in the discharge cycle.
* A manual control lever is turned off.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Fluid nuke automation is quite simple if you don't mind it wasting power. I had a super tank on top for cold coolant (2000 buckets buffered), one for hot coolant before the LHE, and a tank for distilled water feeding the LHE.

Fluid detector cover on the cold coolant tank controls the nuke. Not enough cold coolant and it won't run, so it won't explode.

Fluid detector cover on the distilled water tank controls the LHE. Not enough water it will turn off, so it won't explode.

The tank for the hot coolant allows them to decouple. If the LHE turns off the nuke can happily keep running as long as the coolant buffer lasts, then it'll turn itself off whenever it needs to, and won't explode because it has somewhere to put the hot coolant.

If something needs maintenance you'll be slowly losing distilled water so I had another fluid detector cover on the water tank that would allow externally supplied distilled water when it was under 3.5k buckets.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Ah, I found the quest tab and where quests are. Should be neat to start from here! I went and looted a few villages on the way to the current village I'm staying in, and I'm thinking of just settling down temporarily to figure things out and at least begin some of the base building stuff.

Some highlights of my exploration (remembering that I am new to Minecraft and my only experience is watching a few speedruns and osmosis from other games and their mods):

1. Finding my first village. I knew from watching stuff that you could just loot their stuff and nobody would mind. Then I stepped outside and a villager with poor complexion decided to shoot me! Took me a little while and an achievement to realize that they were always hostile, especially when I hoofed it out of the village after looting every building and ran into a campground swarming with even more enemies

2. Found a weird elevated platform with a green ray shooting up in the sky. Went up there and found some chests, including a nifty feather that replaces fall damage with hunger damage! Very nice. Not sure if I need to have it equipped on my hotbar when falling, but that's what I've been doing and it seems to work.

3. Finding a little hut that seemed like a witch's hut. I attempted to trade with the villager there and was promptly poisoned. Ran for my life scarfing down bread and barely survived. Found a neat raised walkway with some buildings on it. Looted that area, slept for the night, and when I got back up, the witch had followed me! Ran away successfully

4. Found a neat flower field and saw a tower in it. Went up the tower because loot. Looted the crate at the top of the tower and heard a hissing noise shortly before exploding. Remembered belatedly that Terraria had similar traps as I went on a corpse run for the umpteenth time. To top it off, the remains of the top of the tower had bug things in it, so I ran away.

5. Finally found the village that I'm in, which appears to be safe. Also found the quest panel after a little googling (it's in the top left corner when you hit e to bring up the crafting menu).

Game is good and I am enjoying exploring and screwing around.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

Sleep through the nights.

Your #1 priority for starting a new world should be collecting enough wool to make a sleeping bag or bed so you can sleep at sunset. Then you can focus on gearing up with iron armor and tools, making a couple stacks of torches, collecting a stack of food, making a crafting table on-a-stick and an iron or gold sophisticated backpack then start exploring the surface of the world. Modded Minecraft actually has loot worth finding in the treasure chests you find in dungeons, villages and other points of interest, so doing a lot of exploring first is actually viable instead of being forced to immediately settle down to build a base.

ATM has YUNG's Better Dungeons, which are multi-level structures with increasing difficulty that are accessible from the surface by various different buildings with spiral staircases and also When Dungeons Arise which produces a lot of weirder structures. When you find a structure, place your bed and set your spawn before exploring. YUNG's dungeons typically have a room next to the bottom of the spiral staircase that has a bed/crafting table/furnaces/etc. just waiting for you. When exploring dangerous places you should spam torches to remove spawnable locations and temporarily wall off tunnels to prevent mobs from pathfinding to you.

Be sure to activate any waystones that you find as you explore, they'll make it easy for you to fast travel around the world. Villages typically have one, and you'll find them randomly in the world.

If you're felling particularly confident, you can stay awake during the night and wait for Apotheoic Bosses to spawn -- they'll make a noise, generate a line of text in chat, a glowing column of light and a highlighted mob outline. They're guaranteed to drop at least one piece of affixed gear, rarity materials that you can use to affix your own tools and armor and gems that you can slot into your affixed equipment to do a lot of different useful things. You'll also find gems in loot chests, which are useful to keep around if you have the inventory space.

ATM, like basically all Minecraft modpacks, has a gravestone mod which nullifies most of the death penalty other than making the corpse run.

If you hold the key that's in your inventory after you respawn, you'll see a glowing trail leading you to your grave, and you'll be invisible to enemies and kind of floaty to glide across gaps if you don't interact with anything or attack enemies. Plus, every time you die you unlock more of the secrets of death.

A nice side effect of exploring the world searching for valuable loot is that you'll fill in your Journey Map, and find all sorts of beautiful places to build your base. Once you're spoiling for choices, you can settle down some place nice and start climbing up the tech tree of whatever magic or machine mod strikes your fancy.

The dungeons with the entrances above ground (towers or a house) are actually from Dungeon Crawl and not YUNG’s. In ATM9 due to the changes in spawning they’re fairly easy to do, especially if you get an Ars spell book and a magelight glyph to light up areas from a distance.

As long as they don’t get overwritten by some other generation, either the first or second level will have a secret room with a couple of emerald blocks (hidden in the carpet), a couple chests, and an enchanting table. Using journey map they tend to be easy to find.

I do wish dungeon crawl did more levels, but there is no difference even though Minecraft’s world height is different. Also the mod it is a fork of had more variety of rooms.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oh LOL I thought the stuff that YUNG's Better Dungeons generated was from When Dugneons Arise.

And, yeah, the lighting requirement changes for mob spawning does make all the dungeon mods easier in 1.19+. Torch arrows are also easy to craft and super useful for lighting up areas safely from a distance, as are the various different staffs/launchers/etc. that can fire torches from your inventory and the tool affixes that that consume durability to spawn a torch at a distance.

edit: other notes:

There's an extremely useful Ars Nouveau spellbook that you can find in loot chests called Launch! which throws you up in the air and temporary puts in you elytra flight mode, which is super useful for traveling around before you get an elytra of your own or build a jetpack or do any of things that let you fly.

The most valuable loot you can find are artifacts from the Artifacts mod; they cannot be crafted and are only found in loot chests and generally do useful things like nullify fall damage entirely or give you permanent water breathing or increase your Fortune level by one point on all tools, even beyond the maximum level allowed by enchanting.

In the upper left of your character portrait when you look at your inventory there is a circular button, clicking on that will show you the Curios mod menu which gives you a bunch of extra equipment slots other than the four vanilla slots. The tooltip for items will list the curio slot they can use.

The Tool Belt mod gives you a radial menu which shows up when you press R. This is great for freeing up slots in your hot bar. It also has its own unique inventory slot other than the Curios belt slot that shows up when you press ... V? that's terrible, I rebound it to Alt-R.

Your key bindings are going to be all kinds of hosed up. Every single key on the keyboard that doesn't have a stock vanilla use is going to be bound to multiple mods simultaneously and you're going to discover that pressing a key either doesn't do anything at all, doesn't something else entirely or does several different things at once. Learn how to use the Key Binds menu.

Simple/Advanced Magnets are great for quality of life.

Carrying Reliquary charms makes you invisible to the relevant mob. You can put them in a Charm Belt to free up inventory slots. These are fairly easy to make for the simpler mobs, you can craft charm fragments from their common drops. Other mobs have an extremely rare chance of dropping a charm fragment directly, keeps these if you get them.

Eating a new type of food permanently upgrades your maximum health. Crafting a Heart Amulet and filling it with Heart Canisters can also increase your health.

Once you start brewing potions you should immediately turn them into charms -- they're potions that you can turn on and off at will and that you can enchant with Unbreaking to get more potion per potion. If you get deep enough into enchanting, you can enchant them to be completely unbreakable. This is particularly useful for Potions of NetheriteSight/AllthemodiumSight/UnobtaniumSight/VibraniumSight.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 20, 2024

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ars is extremely flexible and incredibly useful. Would you like to be able to mine obisidan without taking the incredibly long time it takes with a pick? just cast an Aplified Break spell at it! Put on Item Pickup too and it goes directly into your inventory without dropping into the lava nearby or anything!

Freeze enemies to death with Cold Snap! Fling yourself around with magic to get places! Armor that boosts your Ars mana capacity and regen and repairs itself! And the already mentioned "place a torch at range", which you can upgrade to be brighter than torches are, in your choice of color!

I love Ars Nouveau.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Dirk, a thing I've seen a lot of ATM players do is craft 5 basic minecraft boats in to a boat shape and this gives you a huge boat you can place on water and it has a lot of starter gear and a safe place to sleep out the night

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
ok, so according to this thread and asking around, fluid nukes suck. Nitrobenzene is apparently the way to go. Does anyone have any tips for setting up something like that?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Welcome to zombocomArs Nouveau. You can do anything at Ars Nouveau.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
ok, looking into growing a shitload of trees. apparently that means a managed bonsai farm. does anyone know the nei codes to get bonsai seeds that arent poo poo? no way in hell i'm doing the rng grind of crop breeding.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

midnight77 posted:

ok, looking into growing a shitload of trees. apparently that means a managed bonsai farm. does anyone know the nei codes to get bonsai seeds that arent poo poo? no way in hell i'm doing the rng grind of crop breeding.

code:
/give @p 4279 1 0 {growth:31,gain:31,resistance:0,name:Red Stonelilly,owner:berriespp,scan:4}
The name and owner are hardcoded values for each seed. You can find the owners from this link:

https://forum.industrial-craft.net/thread/15864-quick-guide-for-obtaining-a-specific-seedbag-via-commands/

I've never done any of that nonsense so idk if it still works. If you just want wood and aren't trying to automate benzene or anything, just craft a rainforest oak sapling and grow it, it makes a huge tree that can be lumber axed down reliably.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

midnight77 posted:

Huh? You don't need bonsai stats. Just plant a lot of them. You can turn regular saplings directly into bonsais.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I think I spoiled a bunch of mod packs for my friend by in fact doing everything with Ars Nouveau. I like the vibes and art style a lot more than techy automation stuff, but I can see how built in mob farms and flying through the nether with ancient debris wallhack and 5x5x5 instant mining can take some of the fun out of it.

Now we're playing something else and, like, whenever there is no starbuncles in my base I'm asking "where is starbuncles?"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ars Noveau is insanely fun definitely makes the early game in big packs manageable.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ars Noveau is insanely fun definitely makes the early game in big packs manageable.
Just getting the book and making one glyph gets you infinite torches you can place at range, which is amazing for convenience and dealing with spawners, and it just goes up from there. :allears:

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Zereth posted:

Just getting the book and making one glyph gets you infinite torches you can place at range, which is amazing for convenience and dealing with spawners, and it just goes up from there. :allears:

Then you make a spell that lags the hell out of your computer and kills all your fenced in animals, because you really needed to overkill a zombie with a spell that costs 1400 mana instead of using a more reasonable spell.

At least my current spell no longer sets every thing on fire.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Maguoob posted:

Then you make a spell that lags the hell out of your computer and kills all your fenced in animals, because you really needed to overkill a zombie with a spell that costs 1400 mana instead of using a more reasonable spell.

At least my current spell no longer sets every thing on fire.
I like Cold Snap, either with Freeze first or some gear providing that. Fire has more collateral damage and doesn't work underwater.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

why is the powered centrifuge for Resourceful Bees in Enigmatica 6 Expert so much further down the tech tech tree than making a level 1 apiary is down the magic tree (just need golden powder form nature's aura, an entry-level material)

:mad:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So I decided to watch a speedrun of ATM 8 (not using it as a guide - I'm taking a much more leisurely path that follows the quests and will explore modpacks slowly), and holy poo poo does it get complex. Amusingly, I recognize a lot of the stuff from the mods from other games. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

I'm looking forward to going through these things myself later and building an organized setup that isn't a hectic mad rush from a speedrunner.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For a hot minute I thought about actually going for building the ATM star but then I actually looked at all of what it needs and peaced out. The most I ended doing with it and establishing a super efficient mystic agriculture and bee farms to build an infinite storage disk for RS. Since the game was hosted on my own oracle server I kept the chunks loaded 24/7 and just kept upgrading as the massive material requirements were generated over time. Putting together a couple of other systems in the base and exploring some of the other dimensions was as far as I went.

The real challenge for me was maintaining a balance of a base aesthetic and the sheer size/complications of some of the machinations I was building.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
ok, i've got logs flowing from my crop manager to my me storage. how do i get the logs to go to my industrial coke oven automatically?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

midnight77 posted:

ok, i've got logs flowing from my crop manager to my me storage. how do i get the logs to go to my industrial coke oven automatically?

I think you'll want a stocking input bus on the multiblock. There are other options like export busses or just not putting them in the ME system but I think the ME compatible busses are designed to minimize tps loss.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
is there a way to automate an ic2 reactor to turn on and off using redstone? i've got it hooked to a battery buffer and want it to only turn on when the batteries are almost dead.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

midnight77 posted:

is there a way to automate an ic2 reactor to turn on and off using redstone? i've got it hooked to a battery buffer and want it to only turn on when the batteries are almost dead.

They actually don't run at all until you give them a redstone signal, so it's basically built in.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They actually don't run at all until you give them a redstone signal, so it's basically built in.
so, currently i have two energy dtector covers on the battery buffer, one inverted. what do i set them to and how do i hook them to the ic2 reactor?

midnight77 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 22, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

midnight77 posted:

so what's the rs latch setup?

That's designed to keep generators from blinking on and off rapidly. The circuit drives high when the fill level of the energy storage gets low, and drives low when it's nearly full. For IC2 nukes this isn't necessary, since they turn on instantly and at full blast, but some other generators have warm up times. (E.g.: a large combustion engine.) Using an RS Latch to drive them minimizes the number of warmups over time.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That's designed to keep generators from blinking on and off rapidly. The circuit drives high when the fill level of the energy storage gets low, and drives low when it's nearly full. For IC2 nukes this isn't necessary, since they turn on instantly and at full blast, but some other generators have warm up times. (E.g.: a large combustion engine.) Using an RS Latch to drive them minimizes the number of warmups over time.

so, currently i have two energy dtector covers on the battery buffer, one inverted. what do i set them to and how do i hook them to the ic2 reactor?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

midnight77 posted:

Make them both non-inverted. Set one to a value close to but not zero. Like, 10% of the total storage. Wire that to the S input of the latch. Set the other to 90% and wire it to the R input.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Make them both non-inverted. Set one to a value close to but not zero. Like, 10% of the total storage. Wire that to the S input of the latch. Set the other to 90% and wire it to the R input.

https://ibb.co/1LfgdP6
https://ibb.co/VYyZ2YH

it's running even when i rotate the latch the other way. both energy detectors are set to eu stored and 10% and 90% respectivly.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024

midnight77 posted:

it's running even when i rotate the latch the other way. both energy detectors are set to eu stored and 10% and 90% respectivly.

wait, i think it's working now.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Sky Greg actually sounds like it would fix my main issues with it, which is the dumb resource gathering stuff

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Falcon2001 posted:

Sky Greg actually sounds like it would fix my main issues with it, which is the dumb resource gathering stuff

It's definitely an interesting take on the formula. There's some things I'd like to have from GTNH - I'd commit unspeakable acts for a Railcraft tank for steam, as an example - but it's neat to have scarcity much less of a consideration.

Edit: though posting this did make me realize I could just drop a bunch of HP solar boilers with water source generators under them. Maybe repurpose the initial super tank that I was storing creosote in...

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 22, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

midnight77 posted:

Oh, I forgot about that. The RS Latch has four configurations. That mode lets the signal flow backwards (mimicking the vanilla redstone version of this circuit.) Shift-right-click twice while holding a GT or PR screwdriver to put it in a mode that stops the flowback. Also, the two outputs have one inverted and one not. Screw around with the inputs using buttons until you figure it out

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

It's definitely an interesting take on the formula. There's some things I'd like to have from GTNH - I'd commit unspeakable acts for a Railcraft tank for steam, as an example - but it's neat to have scarcity much less of a consideration.

Edit: though posting this did make me realize I could just drop a bunch of HP solar boilers with water source generators under them. Maybe repurpose the initial super tank that I was storing creosote in...
Super tanks are a great option for early steam storage, but in pretty short order you'll be able to just use the AE2 system they start you with. The variety of ender tank-like blocks are great too, for instant steam transport all across your base. I got by on using a set of steel drums for a good while, but honestly it's extremely easy to just tech up into such high steam production you don't need to worry about storage and just produce all you need. The large bronze boiler can be fueled for 'free' with the simple lava generators as soon as you can make cupronickel coils and an insane amount of steam. And if all else fails, just throw on yet more solars. Having infinite raw resources makes it drat easy to get all the production you need.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, I built the bronze boiler and have been trying to feed it with seven of the iron lava furnaces (all I have fluid conduits for) but they don't seem to be able to quite do the task.

I guess I could make pumps and GT pipe and try to just throw more around. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Wow, the throughput on EnderIO ender fluid conduits is actually really low! For most things it's not an issue but for something that gets produced and consumed at huge rates, like steam, it's suddenly a problem. Really fucks up my plans for base-wide steam provision.

Built and automated the big steam boiler and slapped a super tank on it that exports to an ender tank. Put a matching ender tank with my small LV setup only to find I can't pull from the tank fast enough to power even a single steam turbine. The LV pump isn't much better (so an MV pump is only twice that) and the tank itself can be fitted to auto-pump at up to 4 buckets a second if I deck it with pistons. I may end up using LaserIO for fluid transfer out of ender tanks at this point. Not sure what other options I have.