Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

How're you generating enough lava for the boiler? Or are you just leaving it on 25% throttle all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Fluid p2ps have infinite throughput, so you could just hook them up to decent capacity GT fluid pipes

e- unsure if this applies to skygreg, but don't see why not

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

How're you generating enough lava for the boiler? Or are you just leaving it on 25% throttle all the time?
Two simple lava generators at 1mb/t each. Put a cupronickel coil underneath them and they get 10x production. 20mb/t is 400 mb/s which is enough for the big bronze boiler.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Okay I'm thinking I might start up my in-progress GTNH world again but I know I'm out of date. Previously I used the Technic Launcher for it (because the pack straight up says not to use curseforge) but I recall never seeing an option to upgrade beyond 2.3.0 when I last played. Prism Launcher is still fine for it though, right? As for upgrading my world, obviously I'll keep a backup on hand but would I just create a newest version instance, copy in my old world save and resolve any modified ini files I changed, and hopefully go from there?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Okay I'm thinking I might start up my in-progress GTNH world again but I know I'm out of date. Previously I used the Technic Launcher for it (because the pack straight up says not to use curseforge) but I recall never seeing an option to upgrade beyond 2.3.0 when I last played. Prism Launcher is still fine for it though, right? As for upgrading my world, obviously I'll keep a backup on hand but would I just create a newest version instance, copy in my old world save and resolve any modified ini files I changed, and hopefully go from there?

All correct. Upgrading a world through 2 major pack versions (current stable version is 2.5.1) might be tough if you've got a lot of progress, but it probably won't be impossible.

Prism is actually the preferred way to play. Get a java17+ version of GTNH from http://downloads.gtnewhorizons.com/Multi_mc_downloads/ . You'll need a Java runtime as well for it if you don't already have one; I like the Adoptium releases. Once you've imported the pack zip to Prism, go into the instance config and set it to use your new Java runtime.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vib Rib posted:

Two simple lava generators at 1mb/t each. Put a cupronickel coil underneath them and they get 10x production. 20mb/t is 400 mb/s which is enough for the big bronze boiler.

Oh, huh, I thought it needed more than that. Nice, that should be doable!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Turns out LaserIO nodes can transfer something like 8,000 mb/t when fully upgraded (only costs gold and redstone, extremely common even day 1) and can hit multiple distributions or even just bridge between two inventories so yeah, this'll work.

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh, huh, I thought it needed more than that. Nice, that should be doable!
Far as I can tell the boiler lava consumption rate is 100mb/0.35s, or about 15mb/t.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

All correct. Upgrading a world through 2 major pack versions (current stable version is 2.5.1) might be tough if you've got a lot of progress, but it probably won't be impossible.

Prism is actually the preferred way to play. Get a java17+ version of GTNH from http://downloads.gtnewhorizons.com/Multi_mc_downloads/ . You'll need a Java runtime as well for it if you don't already have one; I like the Adoptium releases. Once you've imported the pack zip to Prism, go into the instance config and set it to use your new Java runtime.

Would you recommend trying to upgrade the world to 2.4 and then 2.5 or just trying a straight upgrade to 2.5.1? I only made it to HV pre-Moon launch.

If the world doesn't work for whatever reason I suppose I'm not opposed to sitting down and restarting again.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Would you recommend trying to upgrade the world to 2.4 and then 2.5 or just trying a straight upgrade to 2.5.1? I only made it to HV pre-Moon launch.

If the world doesn't work for whatever reason I suppose I'm not opposed to sitting down and restarting again.

Just go straight for 2.5.1. Make a backup of the world so if you bomb out on the upgrade, you don't lose anything.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Looks like it worked. I'm touring my base and I don't immediately see anything that's broken. But even if something was it'd be a good reason to try and be better about my automation. More importantly though, goddamn my new CPU is pulling its weight. Previously my FPS at this point was down in the 30s-50s, now it's hovering around my monitor's 144Hz refresh rate, so the game is looking *smooth*. Excited to dive back in (once I remember my keybinds or remember where the keybinds ini on the old install were).

Edit: Oh right, I also need to disable pollution and remove special and infernal mobs too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Looks like it worked. I'm touring my base and I don't immediately see anything that's broken. But even if something was it'd be a good reason to try and be better about my automation. More importantly though, goddamn my new CPU is pulling its weight. Previously my FPS at this point was down in the 30s-50s, now it's hovering around my monitor's 144Hz refresh rate, so the game is looking *smooth*. Excited to dive back in (once I remember my keybinds or remember where the keybinds ini on the old install were).

Edit: Oh right, I also need to disable pollution and remove special and infernal mobs too.

Your CPU is probably helping, but a lot of that is having a modern Java runtime, too. Java8 is ancient.

In 2.6, the Optifine replacement Angelica is also being included by default, which will improve performance even more. GTNH devs are nuts -- the licensing of Optifine disallows inclusion in modpacks (you have to download it yourself,) so they wrote a completely different version of it from the ground up and released it as open source.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Good on them!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That's not that weird, every modern modpack uses Sodium/Rubidium/Embedium.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Your CPU is probably helping, but a lot of that is having a modern Java runtime, too. Java8 is ancient.

In 2.6, the Optifine replacement Angelica is also being included by default, which will improve performance even more. GTNH devs are nuts -- the licensing of Optifine disallows inclusion in modpacks (you have to download it yourself,) so they wrote a completely different version of it from the ground up and released it as open source.

I actually did have Java 17+ on the previous install, it's just that my previous CPU was an i5-4690K that I bought like 6 years ago and was already a year or two old when I did :v: That's still an insane story though. I can't believe Gregtech has turned into the peoples' champion of Minecraft modding after its original lambasting from this very thread a decade ago.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

I can't believe Gregtech has turned into the peoples' champion of Minecraft modding after its original lambasting from this very thread a decade ago.

Yeah, it's pretty wild. The interesting thing is that the GTNH devs' insistence on strictly following licensing guidelines for mods is actually left over from the bad old days of modding, where every mod had "do not redistribute, download through my adf.ly links only" type licensing and Technic was getting railed for not respecting adf.ly links or whatever. Some of you might remember those days; the mentality borne from that is still alive in GTNH, and leads to these sorts of outcomes.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, it's pretty wild. The interesting thing is that the GTNH devs' insistence on strictly following licensing guidelines for mods is actually left over from the bad old days of modding, where every mod had "do not redistribute, download through my adf.ly links only" type licensing and Technic was getting railed for not respecting adf.ly links or whatever. Some of you might remember those days; the mentality borne from that is still alive in GTNH, and leads to these sorts of outcomes.

Yeah I remember those days well. I was part of the original Technic MP playtest team with some other regulars at the time and I remember CovertJaguar getting so mad about his mods being included in the packs.

I think if people had had more reasonable reactions or just kindly asked for removals without the whole "my adfly dollars" and getting angry part, there would've been a lot more gracious removals from modpacks. But when you go flying off the handle at people over it, well, it resulted in goons essentially going "lol what are you gonna do about it".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Turns out LaserIO nodes can transfer something like 8,000 mb/t when fully upgraded (only costs gold and redstone, extremely common even day 1) and can hit multiple distributions or even just bridge between two inventories so yeah, this'll work.

Oh gently caress, yeah, this is a thousand times better than conduits and pipes. :getin:

laserio my beloved

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oops, Ender Tanks seem to be fucky in this version. Every time I load into my world, they stop working. One tank (code 888) says it's full of steam and its matching pair, also code 888, says it's empty. I have to break and replace the receiving tank (the one full of steam) and suddenly everything works again.
That's a pain in the rear end.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I've just been using a Super Tank that I got from a quest; 8000 buckets of Steam is pretty decent storage.

Also man this mod pack is driving it home just how much I love LaserIO.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
ugh, i've asked here, i've asked on the discord, i just can't seem to get rs latches working.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I accidentally made a building that's a face.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

FPzero posted:

Yeah I remember those days well. I was part of the original Technic MP playtest team with some other regulars at the time and I remember CovertJaguar getting so mad about his mods being included in the packs.

I think if people had had more reasonable reactions or just kindly asked for removals without the whole "my adfly dollars" and getting angry part, there would've been a lot more gracious removals from modpacks. But when you go flying off the handle at people over it, well, it resulted in goons essentially going "lol what are you gonna do about it".

I think I still have covert jaguars take down notices somewhere. I kinda wish he had tried to take me to small claims in his state for it, it'd be funny if nothing else.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I think I still have covert jaguars take down notices somewhere. I kinda wish he had tried to take me to small claims in his state for it, it'd be funny if nothing else.

Oh man those were the days. :allears:

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Fusion donut up and running! So simple to keep running. I'm currently only making a quarter of the power my LFTR was but I could just add more turbines to outdo it. I've torn up all the LFTR fuel processing but the reactor itself is still sitting there with some fuel in it, ready to help out with any prolonged power spikes.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
CJ is such a funny guy, I talked to him at minecon and he really didn't even like the idea of other people installing other mods with his. Like he had an idea for a way of playing the game he thought was cool and he wanted people to try it but since nobody ever plays with just one mod nobody had even ever tried it and he seemed so depressed about it. I offered to put together a modpack built around his vision and make it an official pack (this is back when anyone cared about technic) and he seemed so sad when he told me no. He refused to even shake Kakermixs hand though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

30.5 Days posted:

he really didn't even like the idea of other people installing other mods with his

That's actually pretty common among a lot of mod authors. I think the best example of this is Witchery. At its core, Witchery is, very obviously, meant to be played with no other mods. Its toolkit is overwhelmingly for PvP type servers, as well. I imagine the author designed the mod for a group of friends or an IRC chat room or something, put up his own server, and everyone fought each other with the toolkit. However, outside of that potential situation? Essentially no one used Witchery that way. The Witchery author made the mistake of adding a bunch of esoteric crafting mechanics, and modpack authors love that poo poo to death. Thus, everyone's introduction to Witchery was modpacks that put it as a speedbump to progression through the rest of the pack. Hardly anyone got to experience it for its true purpose -- SMP PvP.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Speaking of PvP mods, I recall that back in the days of og technic it included an ICBM/Missile Command mod that allowed you to build silos and launch strikes at each other. Am I hallucinating that memory or was that a thing? Does anything like it exist for modern minecraft?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Arrath posted:

Speaking of PvP mods, I recall that back in the days of og technic it included an ICBM/Missile Command mod that allowed you to build silos and launch strikes at each other. Am I hallucinating that memory or was that a thing? Does anything like it exist for modern minecraft?

I remember that, there was a pack that combined that and mekanism that I played with some friends

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The mod was ICBM by calclavia. The pack is currently voltz but it no longer contains mekanism and I remember there being some drama around mekanism and the original pack name with calclavias collaborator

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

The mod was ICBM by calclavia. The pack is currently voltz but it no longer contains mekanism and I remember there being some drama around mekanism and the original pack name with calclavias collaborator

Oh nice I might have to do some research, thanks!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That's actually pretty common among a lot of mod authors. I think the best example of this is Witchery. At its core, Witchery is, very obviously, meant to be played with no other mods. Its toolkit is overwhelmingly for PvP type servers, as well. I imagine the author designed the mod for a group of friends or an IRC chat room or something, put up his own server, and everyone fought each other with the toolkit. However, outside of that potential situation? Essentially no one used Witchery that way. The Witchery author made the mistake of adding a bunch of esoteric crafting mechanics, and modpack authors love that poo poo to death. Thus, everyone's introduction to Witchery was modpacks that put it as a speedbump to progression through the rest of the pack. Hardly anyone got to experience it for its true purpose -- SMP PvP.

I played on a public server once that had a pack with Witchery and it was actually used for pvp shenanigans. It was kinda broken, someone in a Witchery werewolf form will just destroy your armor if you get hit by them.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Its been a while but im playing some minecraft again.

With nomifactory, the energy convertors come in 1a, 4a, 5a, 16a

What is the difference?

the amount of machines it can run simultaneously?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

hey what is the normal power draw of an Immersive Engineering garden cloche?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Meskhenet posted:

Its been a while but im playing some minecraft again.

With nomifactory, the energy convertors come in 1a, 4a, 5a, 16a

What is the difference?

the amount of machines it can run simultaneously?
"Amps" in Gregtech are not super complicated once you get the hang of them but they are pretty specific. Every machine inputs or outputs a number of amps, and energy converters, battery boxes, and so on are ranked in amps based on how many they put out. Very roughly speaking, yes, most machines take 1 amp to run, but essentially more amps amounts to more power. The really important thing is that you never put more amps into a wire than it's rated for. There's exceptions (and you should be able to read it from the tooltip) but most wires have 1x amp per rating, so putting out 8 amps means you need 8x wire. Anything smaller will burn up once more amps flow through it at once.
Machines will generally not explode from too many amps the way they do from too high voltage, but that's because they tend to regulate their own input.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Note that Nomifactory specifically (but not CEu edition!) is weird in that as long as the amperage of the CEF and the amperage of the cable are the same (or the cable is higher), you can happily shove more than that cable's worth of amperage down it. I absolutely have multiple 16x CEFs pumping into the same 16x cable with way more than 16 machines on that line happily running with no issues.

Do not try this in actual GTNH or other gregtech packs. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zereth posted:

hey what is the normal power draw of an Immersive Engineering garden cloche?

specifically, is it "drain a 4 million Powah hardened power cell in under a minute and get only three batches of whatever I put in to grow" high?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

It's benzene time baybee :toot:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Zereth posted:

specifically, is it "drain a 4 million Powah hardened power cell in under a minute and get only three batches of whatever I put in to grow" high?

That does seem extreme. Probably depends on the pack.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zereth posted:

Normally it uses RF, so it sounds like either there's some kind of bug draining your power or that modpack has them configured weirdly. Check the config?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

RF is FE, everything uses it (except the bad mods).

e: the FTB wiki says it uses 8 RF/t, so 160 RF per second or 9600 RF per minute.

e2: take a look at minecraft/defaultconfigs/immersiveengineering-server.toml, the machines.garden_cloche section, consumption attribute

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 28, 2024