Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do I get quartz sand in GT:NH? It doesn't give any reference on ore generation like the regular ores. If there's any nearby, would an ore scanner show it? I didn't see it so I assumed not.

Quartz dust? Hit R on it in NEI; you use a mortar and pestle on sand.

edit: the concrete buckets/etc can use two varieties of the stuff but only one is available. Let NEI cycle through the variants; you need to hit R on one mod's version but not the other, I forgot which is which.

VVVVVV It's much faster to just make flint mortar and pestles and shift-craft half a stack of sand at once, though. Same for flint.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 5, 2021

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
This is one that I actually know!

The quartz sand, that is used in for glass dust and concrete is a product of macerating regular Minecraft sand.

Edit:

Looks like i got beaten to the punch. But yes, the default keys "r" and "u" are going to be your closest friends in GT:NH.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
It's been a few years since I've played Minecraft, I think I still have the technic launcher somewhere on my PC. The mods I remember using most were Equivalent Exchange (I always got such a joy shoving stacks of dirt into the tablet and pulling out iron bars and poo poo), and Millenaire (just to have some goal in the game). Are these still updated? Is technic, for that matter?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I wasn't actually seeing any recipes for it for some reason. I found out somewhere else about macerating sand so I stuck with that because I hate making mortars (and hammers, for that matter). I'll double check on a fresh startup of the pack tomorrow. I also don't see recipes using the macerator for most of the ores, which might explain why I was so confused about that machine.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Achernar posted:

It's been a few years since I've played Minecraft, I think I still have the technic launcher somewhere on my PC. The mods I remember using most were Equivalent Exchange (I always got such a joy shoving stacks of dirt into the tablet and pulling out iron bars and poo poo), and Millenaire (just to have some goal in the game). Are these still updated? Is technic, for that matter?

I still think Millenaire does villages way better than vanilla in every single way. Upgrading those villages was so fun and I loved watching them grow.

drat y'all making me want to put up with the hassle of getting back into modded Minecraft :argh:

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

I still think Millenaire does villages way better than vanilla in every single way. Upgrading those villages was so fun and I loved watching them grow.

drat y'all making me want to put up with the hassle of getting back into modded Minecraft :argh:

I know, I just looked up Millenaire again and now it has Inuit and Turks now! This is the first time I really got the itch to play in a long time as well.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Occasionally I've idly tossed around the idea of a Millenaire based modpack where you get the core resources for various mods from the different Millenaire cultures and improve your relationship with them to get to the higher tiers, but I don't really know how hard that would be to actually set up. I guess the most bootleg way would be to just minetweak various recipes to require the unique items from Millenaire.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Achernar posted:

Technic still exists, somehow, but 'I really, really wouldn't recommend it to anyone except to play Blightfall' is the state it's in.

EE is still floating around as Project E (and maybe EE3?) though isn't really thought about much anymore as much more interesting ways of getting everything have come about. Millenaire's still around, but there's also a mod called Minecolonies that lets you manage and grow your own town by recruiting villagers, telling them where to build things and how, etc, it's basically a game of its own inside the game.

Also modded Minecraft is easier now than it's ever been to play!

Edit: speaking of Minetweaker, I might do a little writeup about important mods including stuff that's useful for modpack creation.

Edit 2: MultiMC can grab Technic packs now, too.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 5, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I wasn't actually seeing any recipes for it for some reason. I found out somewhere else about macerating sand so I stuck with that because I hate making mortars (and hammers, for that matter). I'll double check on a fresh startup of the pack tomorrow. I also don't see recipes using the macerator for most of the ores, which might explain why I was so confused about that machine.

That sounds abnormal, you might want to try reinstalling.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Black Pants posted:

EE is still floating around as Project E (and maybe EE3?) though isn't really thought about much anymore as much more interesting ways of getting everything have come about. Millenaire's still around, but there's also a mod called Minecolonies that lets you manage and grow your own town by recruiting villagers, telling them where to build things and how, etc, it's basically a game of its own inside the game.

ProjectE is still my favorite way of managing all the different kinds of building materials I use and nerds can pry it from my cold dead hands :argh:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xun posted:

ProjectE is still my favorite way of managing all the different kinds of building materials I use and nerds can pry it from my cold dead hands :argh:

That's pretty fair.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, honestly sometimes I wish there was a projecte light version that keeps the exchanging and remembering what you've picked up before part. But then you get into all of the cosmetic metal and quartz variations and bleh seems like it'll basically be project e again

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

That sounds abnormal, you might want to try reinstalling.

Maybe? Let's just double check. I'm using GT:NH 2.0.9.0 from Technic. Rewinding a bit here, I was first having trouble figuring out the calcite process. If I type in "calcite" I get:
1 Native Calcite Cluster
14 GregTech Calcite Ores
1 Calcite Dust

I don't get crushed calcite ore nor impure calcite dust. I've kind of figured out by now that the Simple Dust Washer recipe means I can also just using a basin full of water but it doesn't spell out any more clearly how to get there with low-tech stuff.

Checking uses of the Overworld version of the Calcite Ore, there's a recipe to use the Forge Hammer to turn it into Crushed Calcite Ore that I really question. I don't think that works with the Steam Forge Hammer. There's a Pulverization recipe for it that has the same processing icon as the Macerator, but shows four products along with the two Crushed Calcite Ore, while I only get one from the Macerator. I have figured out that I can kind of infer from the Pulverization recipe that I can use the Macerator at this point, but it doesn't come up among the tabs.

Magnetite Ore only produces one Crushed Magnetite Ore but still doesn't have a Macerator recipe.

Quartz Sand has a Pulverization recipe but no Macerator recipe.

It generally looks like the Steam Age machines are just not represented and are just kind of assumed?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

crushed ores or impure dusts don't show up in NEI. i assume this is due to preset options, because there are a poo poo-ton of them.

macerators - all different names, including the stupid EV+ ones - all perform the Pulverisation process, which oredoubles for the most part.

forge hammers perform the Forge Hammer process. this does not oredouble, but will crush raw ores and powder crushed ores. it will also make plates out of ingots and produce whole products from rock/gem ores like coal, diamond, emerald.

at steam level, put your ores in the macerator (unless you need whole coal or diamonds). steam age machines operate at LV capacity (i.e. only processing 32eu/t or below recipes), but using steam directly at a poor steam-to-EU conversion rate. LV machines are way more efficient.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Checking uses of the Overworld version of the Calcite Ore, there's a recipe to use the Forge Hammer to turn it into Crushed Calcite Ore that I really question. I don't think that works with the Steam Forge Hammer. There's a Pulverization recipe for it that has the same processing icon as the Macerator, but shows four products along with the two Crushed Calcite Ore, while I only get one from the Macerator. I have figured out that I can kind of infer from the Pulverization recipe that I can use the Macerator at this point, but it doesn't come up among the tabs.

Building on what was said earlier -- maceration (or pulverization) can output byproducts once you get to HV macerators or later. Your steam macerator only has one output slot, so it will only create the thing in the upper left (crushed calcite ore.) An HV macerator will create the crushed ore, and occasionally the byproduct in the top right. I am only in the HV age myself so I'm not sure when new macerators make the tertiary and quaternary products.

At your tech level, trying to make your first bricked blast furnace, your calcite processing will probably be:

1) Dig hole
B) Macerate calcite ore into crushed
iii) Forge hammer crushed calcite into impure calcite dust
IV] Physically toss into the world (using Alt-click from your inventory screen or Ctrl-Q from your hotbar) impure calcite into a placed vanilla cauldron with water in it a stack at a time to wash it into regular calcite dust. (Or less than a stack at a time if you enjoy bailing water into a cauldron)

All those extra steps exist so you can perform additional processing steps later on in the tech tree. There's centrifuging, electrolyzing, ore washing, simple ore washing, thermally centrifuging, sifting, and even chemical baths. You don't have to worry about any of that right now.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

As another newcomer to GT:NH, I’d guess the issue isn’t a glitch with Rocko Bonaparte’s install, it’s just that finding the right item or recipe is a bigger pain than any other modpack I’ve played. For example, I almost came to the thread to ask how to make a simple iron plate for my first file, because:
-there are 98 results for “iron plate”
-the first one that’s just called “iron plate” is the IndustrialCraft2 version, and it can only be made in machines
-the Railcraft version of iron plate is the most visually distinct, but it too can only be made in machines
-the GregTech iron plate, the one I actually needed because it’s the only one that can be made with a hammer, looks almost exactly the same as the IC2 one
-there are 8,778 shaped recipes using a hammer so that’s no help
-there are 179 shaped recipes for the file I was trying to make, and while it’s easy to intuit that it’s the same shape with different materials, that doesn’t help me find the kind of iron plate I need

Eventually I realized that some of the other results for “iron plate” showed me the generic shaped recipe for hammering out plates and I was able to progress. But this kind of roadblock has happened multiple times.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey who was it that was making the 1.16 pack and using Blood Magic? Check out https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/tome-of-blood

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

runchild posted:

Plate rage

I'm also grumpy about all the GT:NH recipes requiring so many tools that have metadata (durability) associated with them, so I can never have them autocomplete in the crafting grid. This is a double hoot for the recipes of a handful of things that require precise placement. So I end up having to look up some pretty basic stuff sometimes because I put stuff in the wrong order. Having a steam forge hammer has been a real boon because I just don't have to worry about most of those smaller hammer recipes any more. I was hoping the macerator would help with the mortar but it isn't consistent.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm also grumpy about all the GT:NH recipes requiring so many tools that have metadata (durability) associated with them, so I can never have them autocomplete in the crafting grid. This is a double hoot for the recipes of a handful of things that require precise placement. So I end up having to look up some pretty basic stuff sometimes because I put stuff in the wrong order. Having a steam forge hammer has been a real boon because I just don't have to worry about most of those smaller hammer recipes any more. I was hoping the macerator would help with the mortar but it isn't consistent.

Hmm, I wonder if I have an NEI setting that needs changed or something. Autocomplete only ever gives me a ghost pattern and doesn’t actually move items into the grid regardless if durability is involved or not. I assumed this was just the way things worked in 1.7.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It should complete into the grid if it's something that doesn't require one of the typical tools (mallet, hammer, wrench...). I've had a few machine parts complete that way.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

runchild posted:

Hmm, I wonder if I have an NEI setting that needs changed or something. Autocomplete only ever gives me a ghost pattern and doesn’t actually move items into the grid regardless if durability is involved or not. I assumed this was just the way things worked in 1.7.

Shift-Click.

You're used to 1.12+ JEI, where normal click moves exactly enough to complete one of the recipe, and shift click moves as much as possible. In 1.7.10, normal click makes ghosts and shift-click moves as much as possible.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Also start using forestry worktables asap!! you won't have to memorize where the parts of a piston or motor go, and it will use whatever tools are available (most of the time)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Good news, the devs are removing metadata from tools so they'll go into the crafting grid.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
For anyone who's worked with ModTweaker/CraftTweaker, this is the kind of syntax KubeJS has:

code:
	event.shaped(Item.of('immersiveengineering:blueprint').nbt({blueprint: "electrode"}), [
		' H ',
		'LLL',
		'PPP'
	], {
		H: 'immersiveengineering:ingot_hop_graphite',
		L: 'minecraft:lapis_lazuli',
		P: 'minecraft:paper'
	})
Also,
code:
	event.remove({output: 'immersiveengineering:stick_steel'})
	event.shapeless('mapperbase:steel_rod', ['immersiveengineering:hammer', '#forge:ingots/steel'])
and
code:
	event.remove({id: 'immersiveengineering:crusher/ore_quartz'})
	event.recipes.immersiveengineering.crusher(Item.of('minecraft:quartz', 6), 'minecraft:nether_quartz_ore')

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 6, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Black Pants posted:

For anyone who's worked with ModTweaker/CraftTweaker, this is the kind of syntax KubeJS has:
Do they accept a different null character? One that is not space.

Whether they do or not, it seems like a modern way to interact with recipes.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
MineTweaker uses 'null' so seeing those require a space seems annoying to work with.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are there any convenient tricks for synchronizing Better Questing progress with new teammates on a server? We added a new person to the group and most of the progress didn't make it down to them. I thought that if they logged out and back in that more would synchronize but it didn't.

The worse-case I see is to enable edit mode, get all the missing quest IDs, and then just set them to complete on the console, one at a time. I really want to avoid that though.

This is also with GT:NH so for all I know, this has been improved post-1.7.10.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Have you tried just sending them your BQ status save? I can't check 1.7 right now but in 1.12 at least it's a subfolder with a handful of .json that tracks it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are there any convenient tricks for synchronizing Better Questing progress with new teammates on a server? We added a new person to the group and most of the progress didn't make it down to them. I thought that if they logged out and back in that more would synchronize but it didn't.

The worse-case I see is to enable edit mode, get all the missing quest IDs, and then just set them to complete on the console, one at a time. I really want to avoid that though.

Try having the new person run /bq_user refresh . I've never actually done a quest pack with a team so I have no idea if this will work.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

GTNH's version of BQ has a GUI for edit mode so it's a lot less annoying than that.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Khorne posted:

Do they accept a different null character? One that is not space.

Whether they do or not, it seems like a modern way to interact with recipes.

I suppose you could use a letter and not define it, though I haven't tried. I'm curious why a space is 'annoying' to work with though, it's a lot easier than typing 'null' repeatedly, not to mention only having to type each ingredient name once. Do people edit this sort of stuff with non-monospace-font editors? ...do people edit their scripts in Word?

You can also do recipes like
code:
 'P'
 'P'
Where P is a wooden plank to just require two ingredients vertically anywhere in the crafting grid. Or 'PP' for two horizontally, that kind of thing.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 7, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:yeshaha:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Kill it with fire then nuke it from orbit, then drop the planet into the sun, then throw the sun into a blackhole.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

finally... an additional 10% ore byproduct from maceration is within ur grasp...

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

finally... an additional 10% ore byproduct from maceration is within ur grasp...

The only way I can see gregtech being "relevant" is if 10+ people are in the same base.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I'm fighting the good fight to get Logistics Pipes added to GTNH :sun:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Does anyone have any experience with playing modded minecraft with a controller? I know that sounds dumb but I can’t sit in an office chair and play games atm due to a medical thing and I miss modded minecraft. With all of the hotkeys I know it’d be difficult, but a mod that let me bind to a controller would work. I’m gonna need a keyboard in front of me for some stuff, but it should be possible?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Happy Hedonist posted:

Does anyone have any experience with playing modded minecraft with a controller? I know that sounds dumb but I can’t sit in an office chair and play games atm due to a medical thing and I miss modded minecraft. With all of the hotkeys I know it’d be difficult, but a mod that let me bind to a controller would work. I’m gonna need a keyboard in front of me for some stuff, but it should be possible?

I remember I used Joy2Key so I could play with a baby in my arms and it worked pretty okay! If you've still got the keyboard then just bind the main gameplay controls on the controller and keep the keyboard for those random mod hotkeys. I definitely didn't do it for very long but as a proof of concept it was viable. On the other hand any mod with a lot of fiddly crafting will probably be a pain, using a thumbstick to control the mouse in the menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
if you run it through steam, you can probably set everything up fairly easily. steam controller interface/settings is amazing