Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

Hmmm, fair enough. Nitrobenzene it is, then! It really is too bad, though. The rest of the pack is so good about giving you lots of tools to choose from to solve any particular problem, so I figured there was something i was missing re: LFTR. doubly sad given all the effort some dev obviously put into designing that line and all the quest text. when you lay out the numbers it's pretty jarring just how large the discrepancy is between various fission processes and nitrobenzene. it's just so ridiculously energy dense.

i was mostly meaning all the EBF-ing i'd have to do for fusion causing power strain, not the startup itself. I have one LuV-powered volcanus now, and a few regular EBFs but I'm loath to use the EBFs with how drat efficient the volcanus is. is it better to build more volcani or overclock the one i have to ZPM? i assume eventually I'll be doing both, but I don't mind shoving all my autocrafts into one machine and doing IRL stuff for a couple hours. those volcanus controllers and casings are annoying as hell to craft.

thanks!

The "lots of tools" thing is mostly before IV, yeah. Once you climb up the tiers, things get a little more regimented. ZPM and UV in particular are barely even tiers -- you make the next level of fusion and that's it. LuV would be in this category as well if it weren't for naqline and optionally lanthline. (Lanthlines vastly improve cerium and samarium yield, it's usually worth making but I believe it's strictly optional still. Bastline is the best one to make so you can start banking holmium early.)

Once you get a mk2 fusion reactor (late ZPM,) consider naq fuel. Naq fuel mk1, boosted by cryotheum and molten naq in the large naq reactor gives 10 million EU/t. Straight fusion power also exists, but helium plasma got nerfed in the XL plasma turbine and trying to do an Extreme Heat Exchanger variant is massive infra spam.

Volcanus are just better than EBFs in every way. Recommend putting the casings and such on autocraft if you can. The ABS is actually pretty easy to automate for all the goofy-rear end alloys. Once you get power upgraded, run ZPM Volcanii. Note that the pyrotheum usage of a volcanus is the same no matter the tier -- it's just a flat X per second. You can also share pyrotheum hatches. If you don't already have a blaze EEC, I recommend getting one so the pyrotheum cost is essentially zero. Alternatively, you could make a mega blast furnace, but they are only really good for smelting stuff that you vastly out-tier, or if you have tons of power banked in your LSC that you don't mind throwing into a hole to make things go faster. At the edge of your smelting ability, a volcanus is faster and more power efficient per ingot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
I'm early LuV and I'm in the process of building a new base (again again) because I ran out of space, so I'm finally moving to the void world and embracing the lawn base and building much neater and more expandable.
My previous auto crafting setup was based on HV single blocks, largely phased out by multis and IV assemblers. This time I'm trying to use nothing but multiblocks (hello 4 LPFs) with the possibility of expanding upwards if more parallels are needed. It's not going to be robust enough to last forever but it'll do for a good while.
I haven't yet got trinium or cerium set up so assembler multis are just out of reach, and the arc furnace looks expensive just for annealed copper occasionally but I think I've got everything else (oh and circuit assembler is technically do-able but need more stars).

Old base is powered by a fluid nuke for base load and 4 LCEs running HOG kick in as needed. This isn't going to cut it going forward obviously. I don't want to run nitrobenzene so I've been tinkering with LFTR. I made a decent batch of fuel just to get things going and I'm thinking of setting up an AE subnet with fluid crafting just to handle fuel production with level maintainers. Sharing processes in machines shouldn't be an issue because of how slow the fuel recipe is. Without overclocks fuel 1 takes half an hour to make enough to run the LFTR for 16.6 minutes. From what I understand it doesn't produce enough to constantly run fuel 2 so it'll need fuel 1 occasionally.

Hopefully it'll be a fun puzzle!

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
drat I just realised I can't simply cram a bunch of molds into different busses of one LPF for fluid solidifying like you would an extruder. What a bummer.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

So my fiancee watches me play modded Minecraft all the time, and since I have a server set up, she'd like me to set something up for the two of us to play :3: I don't think she wants to go the full path of Greg, but she wants to do survival with a lot of base-building plus a little bit of exploration and progression. Magic and technology are both on the table for that. What would be a good non-expert pack to go with? I'm considering Enigmatica 2 (the non-expert version) with a few things like Decocraft tacked on that I like, or possibly ATM8. Any recommendations?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

RocketMermaid posted:

So my fiancee watches me play modded Minecraft all the time, and since I have a server set up, she'd like me to set something up for the two of us to play :3: I don't think she wants to go the full path of Greg, but she wants to do survival with a lot of base-building plus a little bit of exploration and progression. Magic and technology are both on the table for that. What would be a good non-expert pack to go with? I'm considering Enigmatica 2 (the non-expert version) with a few things like Decocraft tacked on that I like, or possibly ATM8. Any recommendations?

Probably an All The Mods or Direwolf20 pack, they're both good kitchen sink packs.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

While out prospecting I came across a really nice box canyon kinda setup with only one way in, and pretty steep sides.

So, tech progress is on hold while I build a respectable surface base that isn't a dirt hut and a dozen railcraft water tanks plumbed into a cavern I dug out:

I'm planning for a central fountain will small crops in terraces around it, leading to a moria-like gate on the right side there where my waypoint it.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 1, 2024

Joyboy
Mar 18, 2021

I'm sure everyone feels the same.
Is GTNH still what I want to play if I want a deep tech pack? Haven't seriously played modded minecraft for a few years so no idea what the current modding landscape looks like.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Either GTNH or Nomifactory. Nomifactory definitely gets you away from creosote and flint tools and toward serious tech much faster.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Joyboy posted:

Is GTNH still what I want to play if I want a deep tech pack? Haven't seriously played modded minecraft for a few years so no idea what the current modding landscape looks like.

GTNH is my recommendation. Nomifactory has a faster start, but shallower depth.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Starting a fresh gtnh setup today after basically making it to start of steam age and getting busy with other stuff. My modded Minecraft experience is basically getting partway into nomifactory and that's all.

Will post my trials and tribulations here, legit barely idea what I'm getting into lol.

Also, my daughter (9) has shown some interest in modded Minecraft, what's the best create modpack? Still above and beyond? I havent ever really played with create but I figured that's something we could both get into

queeb fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 1, 2024

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There is a fan version of A&B for newer versions called Cabin which tries to emulate the original the best it can despite several mods never updating to newer versions. Also makes some quality of life changes such as switching from brass/obsidian resource needs for trains to primarily gold. Ultimately still A&B with its automation quirks of bedrock cobblegen of andesite, needing clay and kelp to make bricks you combine with andesite for andesite alloy, and later mechanisms having some mildly complex assembly processes.

There’s a lightweight pack called Perfect World which focuses more on a vanilla+ experience.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

definitely feeling spoiled by the GTNH questbook after looking at above and beyond haha, GTNH book is like a gamefaqs guide from back in the day, hella detailed

heres my day 1 start:

this is home, fruit trees on the left, pams gardens which i guess can spread? just behind those, my hole in the wall on the right, which is like a 3x3 cube with a bed i found in a rogueliek dungeon house

my little farm with random seeds and stuff ive been finding

edit: 100% open to tips and stuff too

queeb fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 1, 2024

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

When you get the quest to build a railcraft water tank, make sure to build it inside the cherry blossom biome by the lake. You need a decent amount of humidity in the biome to get the tank to fill well, and the hot desert in your first screenshot has 0% humidity (meaning the tank won't fill at all) while the cherry blossoms have 80%. At least 60% is recommended for a biome location so you'll be covered as long as you know this quirk. You can always tell the humidity of the biome in that blob of info in the top left at the end of the "Biome:" line.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Keep an eye put for more water, just eyeballing it that lake you're settling at may not have enough sand clay and gravel for your initial smeltery, coke oven(s) and bricked blast furnace. I had go hoof if over an entire mountain for the materials I needed.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

with a bed i found in a rogueliek dungeon house

This is the optimal GTNH early game. Steal everything you see.

If you want some gameplay tips, I did a writeup of a run I started about 9 months ago starting here.

e: ^^ don't make grout. Steal smeltery bricks from villages and use a GT hammer to mine some to break them into brick items. You never need to make grout

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This is the optimal GTNH early game. Steal everything you see.

If you want some gameplay tips, I did a writeup of a run I started about 9 months ago starting here.

e: ^^ don't make grout. Steal smeltery bricks from villages and use a GT hammer to mine some to break them into brick items. You never need to make grout

hell yeah ill check this out, and im looking at threefolds video for some ideas but i kinda just wanna figure it out on my own and now follow his builds

edit:

this is new

queeb fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 1, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

GTNH is my recommendation. Nomifactory has a faster start, but shallower depth.
Shallower in the sense it doesn't make you completely stop what you're doing and beat 50% of the Twilight Forest partway through, yeah. :smugbert:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

queeb posted:

Starting a fresh gtnh setup today after basically making it to start of steam age and getting busy with other stuff. My modded Minecraft experience is basically getting partway into nomifactory and that's all.

Will post my trials and tribulations here, legit barely idea what I'm getting into lol.

Also, my daughter (9) has shown some interest in modded Minecraft, what's the best create modpack? Still above and beyond? I havent ever really played with create but I figured that's something we could both get into

I've been playing create arcane engineering and I think it's better than above and beyond, but it assumes a level of create knowledge that above and beyond doesn't. for anyone just starting out I think A&B is still the best.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

My luck was terrible, I didn't find a village with a smeltery until I was into MV :v:

So that sucked, but once I stole it I was able to super-size my own.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Shallower in the sense it doesn't make you completely stop what you're doing and beat 50% of the Twilight Forest partway through, yeah. :smugbert:

neither does gtnh unless you want to do optional magic :colbert:

Arrath posted:

My luck was terrible, I didn't find a village with a smeltery until I was into MV :v:

So that sucked, but once I stole it I was able to super-size my own.

It is kinda sad that there's essentially no use for a super-large smeltery in GTNH. It doesn't double ore, so you basically only ever need it for making tool parts for a short time or for recycling steel dust in LV.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gone Fashing posted:

I've been playing create arcane engineering and I think it's better than above and beyond, but it assumes a level of create knowledge that above and beyond doesn't. for anyone just starting out I think A&B is still the best.

And everything else. "Congrats, you can do Integrated Dynamics stuff now!" "Great! Do you have any suggestions for how to get started?" "Lol no and also the mod's book's tutorial is broken because of how we changed recopies" "Hm."

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Zereth posted:

And everything else. "Congrats, you can do Integrated Dynamics stuff now!" "Great! Do you have any suggestions for how to get started?" "Lol no and also the mod's book's tutorial is broken because of how we changed recopies" "Hm."

yeah that's been my issue with C:AE, you do chapter one of the magic line and it's like great, I now have unlimited source. I know from watching a couple of lets plays this breaks Ars wide open, but how the gently caress do I even do anything?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

AceClown posted:

yeah that's been my issue with C:AE, you do chapter one of the magic line and it's like great, I now have unlimited source. I know from watching a couple of lets plays this breaks Ars wide open, but how the gently caress do I even do anything?
Yeah if I was not The Ars Guy whenever we're running a pack with Ars in it I'd have been lost too. I don't think it even tells you how to make the drat spellbook.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It is kinda sad that there's essentially no use for a super-large smeltery in GTNH. It doesn't double ore, so you basically only ever need it for making tool parts for a short time or for recycling steel dust in LV.

Yeah I've just been throwing spare enderman eggs into it, really.

Also discovered a few random, useless alloys on accident.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah its funny that GTNH feels like the best onboarding to modded minecraft with how good the questbook is and yet the mod is so gargantuan and non-time respecting

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

yeah its funny that GTNH feels like the best onboarding to modded minecraft with how good the questbook is and yet the mod is so gargantuan and non-time respecting

TBH it's really not the best onboarding to modded minecraft. GTNH essentially exists in an offshoot timeline compared to everything else. Not only is it for a 9 year and 9 month old version of minecraft, but it has a ton of custom Java development that is essentially useless to the few other packs still using 1.7.10 (other than NEI; Blightfall got updated within the last year with the GTNH NEI e.g.) Not a lot of what you learn from GTNH is going to apply well to other modpacks, except for maybe a few 1.12.2 ones. Even then, only a few echoes of the old stuff remains there.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

neither does gtnh unless you want to do optional magic :colbert:

GTNH doesn't even if you want to do magic. You only have to do the first boss to unlock your wand and then you do more bosses to get better wands, etc.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

McFrugal posted:

GTNH doesn't even if you want to do magic. You only have to do the first boss to unlock your wand and then you do more bosses to get better wands, etc.

"Finishing" TF by getting the Lamp of Cinders does unlock a 'secret' quest-reward though which is kind of nice early on. Level 1 tinker cleaver with 20 open mod slots and no pre-applied mods.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Don't you need better wands to be able to do the node moving spell which is necessary for any decent amount of CV generation?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

Don't you need better wands to be able to do the node moving spell which is necessary for any decent amount of CV generation?

Yeah I remember having to grind a pretty long train of tasks to be able to move a node to a stabilizer in our base. I feel like we had to get up to the lich in TF.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Is there a primer on what enchantments are useful in GTNH, and which tinkers mods are good for the various weapon types?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Arrath posted:

Is there a primer on what enchantments are useful in GTNH, and which tinkers mods are good for the various weapon types?

No enchantments are useful. The best weapons are TiCon, which don't take enchants. The best armor is IC2 or related, and those don't take enchants. Also, 1.7.10 enchants are pure RNG unlike modern MC.

Put redstone on crossbows until they hit minimum draw speed.
Put moss on bolts, 2x if you have them. Do not put moss on any other TiCon item; it is very hard to make.
Put quartz on bolts after moss.
Swords mostly aren't used once you get xbows. Put looting and beheading on a cleaver if you go that route for withers in HV. Quartz otherwise.

Put redstone on mining hammers. Unbreakability is a meme; bring a tool station and repair material into the field.
Pickaxes mostly aren't used after stone age, so whatever is fine. Redstone is good.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

No enchantments are useful. The best weapons are TiCon, which don't take enchants. The best armor is IC2 or related, and those don't take enchants. Also, 1.7.10 enchants are pure RNG unlike modern MC.

Put redstone on crossbows until they hit minimum draw speed.
Put moss on bolts, 2x if you have them. Do not put moss on any other TiCon item; it is very hard to make.
Put quartz on bolts after moss.
Swords mostly aren't used once you get xbows. Put looting and beheading on a cleaver if you go that route for withers in HV. Quartz otherwise.

Put redstone on mining hammers. Unbreakability is a meme; bring a tool station and repair material into the field.
Pickaxes mostly aren't used after stone age, so whatever is fine. Redstone is good.

That's what I was afraid of, thanks! I'll junk all these enchanted books I yanked out of dungeons then.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I think if I was going to recommend an onboarding to mods pack it would probably be Stoneblock 3 tbh, it's got a solid quest book, it's short enough that makes the pack "winnable" and the quest book is pretty solid.

The hilarious loot tables from the quest rewards are also fun.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol it really puts into perspective how big gtnh is when im looking at a threefold video and his base is huge, its like 60 1 hour episiodes over a year in and hes like 1/2 way through the tiers, i think hes on IV

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
i wish more modpacks would take a page out of GTNH book and have a decent questbook.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If you have a book with Haste put it on some piston boots! you'll move faster and step up tiles, which you can't get in combination until later armor sets in HV. It's a handy thing early on.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Sure, but CV is pretty late in TC4 anyway. I forget what boss you have to kill to get a strong enough wand... Lich isn't hard to kill though, that's only the second boss. Might have to kill hydra or something, but that isn't too demanding either. The labyrinth can be cheesed with an equal trade focus. Having to climb up the tower to kill the ghast boss is where TF gets annoying.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 2, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Sure, but CV is pretty late in TC4 anyway. I forget what boss you have to kill to get a strong enough wand... Lich isn't hard to kill though, that's only the second boss. Might have to kill hydra or something, but that isn't too demanding either. The labyrinth can be cheesed with an equal trade focus. Having to climb up the tower to kill the ghast boss is where TF gets annoying.
Okay but you understand this is a new, different argument now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Okay but you understand this is a new, different argument now

I guess. Also there's some quest in the questbook that gives a ridiculously beefy node so technically you don't have to jar one. Unless that's locked behind something you need a jarred node for? I dunno.