Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do I get quartz sand in GT:NH? It doesn't give any reference on ore generation like the regular ores. If there's any nearby, would an ore scanner show it? I didn't see it so I assumed not.

Quartz dust? Hit R on it in NEI; you use a mortar and pestle on sand.

edit: the concrete buckets/etc can use two varieties of the stuff but only one is available. Let NEI cycle through the variants; you need to hit R on one mod's version but not the other, I forgot which is which.

VVVVVV It's much faster to just make flint mortar and pestles and shift-craft half a stack of sand at once, though. Same for flint.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

So I tried making one of these, and it doesn't quite work.

* You can't make paper tool parts at all in GT:NH.
* Thaumic doesn't add a modifier.
* Magical wood DOES, but it only works once, and requires Carminite from the Ur-Ghast tower to craft.

So my axe is currently at reinforced IX. That being said, I think I can just go out and grind more tool XP and get another modifier that way, so it ought to still work. Just a heads-up for anyone else who got ideas based on this.

Might be dreaming, but I'm pretty sure GT:NH paper tool parts need paper stacks. Craft 9 paper or something per 1.

edit: looked it up. 64 paper per TiCon crafting item, in a compressor.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 16, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Qubee posted:

What's up with Mekanism not meshing well? I've got a basic fluid tank filled with magma, a basic mechanical pipe (or whatever it's called) and a magmator for energy production. I wanted to have magma automatically feed into it so I don't have to keep using a bucket to fill it, but I can't get it to work. Even using the configurator to push (from the fluid tank) and pull (into the magmator). Am I doing something stupid or? The fluid tank has been placed two blocks above and the mechanical pipe connects to the bottom of it.

You want the pipe to Pull from the fluid tank and Push into the magmator.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
With MultiMC, how do I download an updated pack version from curseforge and keep my settings?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

OgNar posted:

I simply moved my old mods into a new folder, setup a new instance with the new pack, then copied the new mods into the old folder.
played a session of the 1st instance to see if it was ok then deleted any extraneous stuff.

That worked great, thanks.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

McFrugal posted:

so if you've properly lit your base you still won't get creepers.

Last time I played GTNH, Ender creepers would happily teleport into a well lit up base. They don't aggro unless you look them in the eyes, though, so less of a problem than they could be. I always regarded them as free ender pearls since walling in their heads means they won't teleport or do anything when poked.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oh yes, it is Old Mod Time

Old setup on the right, new setup on the left

Is that a Forestry multifarm thing? I've never built one; always thought it sounded too hard or something.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

FPzero posted:

Well, like, Regrowth didn't technically block you through quest rewards, but it was structured in such a way that following the quests also progressed you along the modified tech paths the pack had put together. Basically, I'm looking for something where my progression loosely mirrors a quest book because it just helps me set short and long-term goals and stay focused on them. Agrarian Skies was another example of this from what I remember.

Gregtech New Horizons is the best example of this that I've seen. You almost have to follow the quest book or you'll be lost and confused.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Bhodi posted:

They removed all the reactor designs from the wiki and replaced it with a paragraph telling people to go to a discord server. No thanks, I'm not interested in joining your community using a different medium. Youtube-as-a-replacement-for-documentation is already bad enough, thanks.

You mean you're not also in 15 different discords? It's really not that bad... much better than youtube videos. This is the kind of content in the relevant channel on that discord.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

ewe2 posted:

You know, you should really learn some basic research skills, it's really not very hard. All you have to do is search github for the name of the repo and you will discover that it was forked and no I'm not going to do that for you, get off your lazy butt.

20 people each spending 10 minutes to search for something spend over 3 hours of collective time. exaggerated for effect

Or, the first person doing the initial research can post that link and save innumerable time for everyone else.

Given that you say you 'searched for the repo and found it', surely you could have copied and pasted it into your post.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

FPzero posted:

I'm not sure how much longer I'm gonna play GTNH. I can feel myself falling off from it more and more each time I play. I just hit Steam, and now I'm facing the prospect of needing as much bronze and iron as I do to proceed, and then dealing with steam boilers and potential explosions, and I just feel so spread thin playing by myself. The added crafting steps to make everything is starting to wear on me too. The opening was interesting to see how the super stone age progression worked, but now I'm past that initial novelty. Do we have any kind of PGS server for GTNH here?

I might go back to Heavens of Sorcery as a solo venture, since that had a real interesting opening progression and was a lot lighter on, well, everything.

Check this thread.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Bann posted:

Another expert pack worth a look is FTB Interactions. I liked it when it initially came out, but the 2.0 you can really feel the care and polish. My impression of FTB:I is that its like someone wanted to make a 1.12 version of GTNH that wants they player(s) to succeed. It's still a long term expert quest based pack framed around Gregtech. It's first gimmick is that you start in a skyblock, and your first few sessions will have you learning the ropes and amassing some resources before you construct a portal to the overworld.

Is there a way to get the 2.0+ version without installing the FTB Overwolf app? Can't seem to find a download link that can be used with MultiMC.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Vib Rib posted:

Mining levels and tool use XP for tinker tools are incredibly not fun and any pack that adds them has done so in poor judgement. Even by the standards of packs renowned for the grind, it's an utterly shameless grind, with no redeeming features. You either find a way to exploit/break it or you slog through it.

I just play the pack normally and the tools leveling up trigger dopamine hits that encourage me to play more. No need to 'exploit' the 'grind'.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

quote:

A Cow with a Breeding Harness cannot be Milked

Why the gently caress not? What a weird mod.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mycroft Holmes posted:

How do you get stone dust? I used a hammer on stone, but that just gave me cobble. Cobble gives me gravel, gravel sand.

In GTNH, or other modpacks, when you want to know how to get an item, generally you can mouse over the item in your inventory or NEI and press R and NEI will tell you how to get it. Browse the pages and tabs, if applicable, for more sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mycroft Holmes posted:

ugh, the last bit of the orefinder screen is getting cut off, so I don't know what color zinc is and I need it for brass.

Zinc is from Sphalerite. It's a tertiary ore spawn in Sulfur veins in the Nether. Pulverize the ore, hammer it, wash it, then either smelt directly for zinc ingots or process otherwise (centrifuge, I think) for zinc, sulfur, and 25% small gallium.