Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
A buddy of mine and I just started jumping in to modded minecraft after not playing any minecraft or mods for roughly 10 years. Everything is changed and its a lot. We are basically constantly getting our minds blown by whatever we come across in the FTB Endeavour 1.16 pack.

However, now that we're getting further along into it I can see ways I'd prefer to tailor the experience. M
I'd like to find a modpack that suits our playstyle a little bit more, maybe is a little slower or has a longer term goal than the kitchen sink style, but I think there's 4 or so main things we'd like to hit.

1. I don't care for having 5 or 6 different, siloed, magic systems, all of which seem to mostly be outgunned by Ars Nouveau. It's cool that I can make big celestial shrines and start magic flower tree chopping factories and open a portal to the elf dimension but these all kind of pale in comparison to being able to have a machine gun of fireballs. It'd be one thing if they built on each other or interoperated at all, but they don't really. Each one feels like a unique and distinct thing and flavorwise they're all great but ultimately lacking in... a sense of meaningful progression - at least once I discovered fireball chains. Are there any modpacks that integrate magic into the rest of the system? Also, a lot of these mods treat magic as very... technical. Are there ones where you have more of a chance of blowing things up? I want my reach to exceed my grasp and summon a demon by accident. Something like that.

2. We are loving the Create mod, Immersive Engineering Mod, and ComputerCraft: Tweaked mods. Anything that we could do that iterated on these or otherwise expanded on their connectivity (particularly computercraft, which seems like it barely connects to anything but is so powerful) would be amazing. The flexibility and aesthetic of Create in particular rules.

3. I don't think I can play any other game of minecraft that doesn't have something like Refined Storage in it. The ability to keep all of the items is a central database is a killer feature, esp. since neither of us is good at keeping chests oragnized.

Are there any modpacks that cater to these kinds gameplay interests? I love automation, fiddling and tinkering with things, computercraft-style programming interfaces, a sense of progression, and to feel like the various mods are more or less integrated. The exploration side of Endeavour is nice and provides a downtime activity after brain buzzing about something but is not essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I'm not up on my recent modpacks to give a recommendation for the sort you're looking for, but I will say that Astral Sorcery is probably still worth the investment even with Ars Nouveau. AN may have you covered for combat and the like, but AS has passive perks and utility features that help shore up common resources and bolster your movement options. I think they'd probably work well together.

I do agree that RS is a nearly vital mod for me, because sorting through a dozen chests trying to deal with limited inventory is something I've done enough of in this game to never want to handle again.

Thanks for the response on this - and yeah, that's fair. Astral Sorcery's perk systems and the sheer experience of building the stuff in it is really neat and I absolutely love the feeling of doing rituals in it. It feels very aesthetically driven and I love that.

And yes, RS is so great. I see that there's a drawer storage mod a lot of people use too that might help out next time I'm in the early game, since you need to get to the nether to start RS, but I can't imagine doing mid game stuff without it.

I guess my question is really more - are there goon-approved modpacks focused around tech and sorcery that work together well, and hopefully include one of the two big computer mods? That's the kind of stuff I think I'm more interested in for the next modpack.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Thanks to everybody for talking about Omnifactory a bunch ITT. Y'all got me interested enough to play it and now I'm wading in to MV after just now setting up a big DML self-feeding loop. This modpack is amazing. I'm going to go for GT:NH after I finish tihs.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i'm about to step into HV in Omnifactory now and I'm not really sure what the strategy for autocrafting slightly complex intermediate items like circuits are. They're super important and you need a ton of them but apparently the AE2 crafting card solution is really bad for them, due to the lag they cause? I've been batch crafting them in groups of 100 or so at a time to avoid having chunks taken out of my time when I need to use them, but that really doesn't feel like enough now that I'm beginning to want things like printed processors in huge amounts for expanding AE2 storage and capacity. I've got on-demand crafts for most simple items like rods, plates, and gears going now and ME emitter-stopped passive crafting for various ingots, dusts, and other base-tier ingredient, and on the other end have no issue just using JEI to slam out multiples of given MV machines as I'm building out new automation lines. But, the intermediates like circuits are a lot more confusing about how to handle without massively increasing lag on the server I've got going.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

TheJadedOne posted:

I set up passive autocrafting of parts and outputted them into a limited size drawer so that they were always available. It just ate through my gallium supply for a while until I got it buffered enough.

ok thank you for saying this, this is what I wound up settling on too. It feels slightly jank for dealing with the huge low-tier circuit needs of AE2 but I guess that once I've moved on to the next theme of circuits I can probably just passive craft the first tier, since I won't be able to use those boards.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
HV omnifactory update: godDAMN do I have a lot of chemical reactors. So much piping. I'm glad I did this in omnifactory first because doing all this with just Greg pipes sounds like hell

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
man dev branch omnifactory is really good. I need like 8 million more tungstate than I currently have now though. I got real used to sitting on my rear end at base while I was going up through ores that were more easily bought and now I gotta work a little for my inputs again.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

So, I've never used Create, but a friend has been talking it up so much I'd like to give it a whirl. Anyone have any recommendations for a pack built mostly around, or heavily involving, Create? Ideally a progression/quest-based pack that doesn't assume you already know how to use it, but I'll take what I can get.

Create has a really incredibly user-friendly system for teaching you how it works. Any modball sandbox with create in it is all you need to learn it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Omnifactory is one of the best experiences I've had in gaming. haven't tried Gregetech: NH but it seems like it will involve both more of the things I like (complex logistics) and the things I dislike (big need for large mining). really interested in GT:NH having both thaumcraft and opencomputers in it. I want to script my whole drat base.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the biggest :O moment for me with Create was realizing that you can use belts to turn rods, not just the other way around.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
new direwolf20 modpack out there now, might spin that up for a casual server with my friends.

Although a few of them who have yet to delve into 'expert' packs are interested in something a bit juicier. How does Create Above and Beyond work as an entry to the genre? My entry was Omnifactory which seems fine but I don't really want to jump into it again so soon. It's that I guess for the ultra deep end and starting up GTNH

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
prediction: the post 1.16 mod era is going to gradually lose ground to Fabric and the next mod golden age will be on Fabric. It looks like the way Fabric works makes it a ton easier to port between versions, which is probably the silver bullet

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
are there any good resources on there on putting modpacks together and editing recipes to work together seamlessly? I keep finding packs that almost have everything I want in them, and I'd like to just start putting something together that I like rather than make do.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Vintage story Is a good game. Worth checking out for sure.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Wow create above and beyond absolutely owns. It is also working as a phenomenal onboarding mod for my sisters for expert style packs

Only problem with it is that whenever I start watching one of our assembly lines go I hear the pee wee Herman/ big blue ball machine song in my head

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The way the truth and the light is to use me level emitters to turn on/off single purpose dedicated machines

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
?? Emitters were the low lag solution to crafting card problems last time I checked the omnifactory discord.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Try Create!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This uh... can this run on a server?

I haven't run it personally yet but from all of my experience with the Create team in general I can tell you: hell yea and way more performantly than you'd think.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This has been yet another one of my posts gushing about GTNH. I can't help myself.

More GTNH posts! I'm going yo start it after Create Above & Beyond and need to get myself psyched!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
just started GTNH!

first few hours thoughts:

I need a lot of gravel.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Wow they just go ahead and give you a door in a quest a few hours in to gtnh. "Masochistic pack" my foot. You get free cotton seeds from tilling the soil!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Day 2 of gtnh

My co op partner and I are in the steam tier. I haven't experienced anything I would call a ball kick yet. Although the water bucket recipe for clay bricks came close. I waited until I could make a tinkers crafting station and a railcraft water tank for that. I have a simple steam set up of 3 coal boilers connected to a water tank outputting to various low tier steam equipment. Overall the machines are slow but with the aid of hoppers they're largely set and forget. I still am using regular stone furnaces with creosote oil for my regular baking, smelting crushed ore, etc. I've put together a few worktables now and am looking forward to fast forwarding through future stacks of screws, springs, etc.

Exploration wise it's been fairly tame. There's some obviously dangerous dungeons nearby that I've simply decided to avoid for now. I settled by a river at the border of some hinterlands and a garden, which has been great since the 80 percent humidity is helping my tank a lot, but there's a slime island far above me and occasionally king slimes pop up disconcertingly close to my base. I don't think I have the firepower to kill him yet - maybe after I get steel.

Most intense monster spawn was definitely a rare fishing hook zombie on the other side of a lava pillar. Walled that off extremely fast

Overall I'm absolutely loving it. I've never been so happy to have an in game to do list (thanks clipboard). I just need the gypsum for my steel making machine now, and since I found some fullers earth earlier I was able to use a dowsing rod to locate a source. Very neat little research bits in this game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I killed some king slimes. This guy rules. He's a tinker tool pinata

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hahaha spent two hours getting dicked over by a ultra rare zombie brute with force choke, toss, wither, ghastly fireballs, regenerate, and 1up. Eventually sealed him inside my tinkers smelter and poured lava on top of him when that wasn't enough to kill him.

Finally made it to steel/ tinkers hammers and lumbaxs today. Finally finally finally going to be operating with real amounts of ore and wood, not baby amounts.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's a huge pain in the rear end but I love how it makes night terrifying. Plus I've got FTBUtils installed since it is a small MP server so I have insurance against truly bad combinations loving up my base (since anti-creeper griefing is enabled) Also my friend and I love laughing at each other's increasingly hosed up tales of getting owned by infernal mobs.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

https://hytale.com/news/2022/7/summer-2022-development-update

MC-adjacent news, but apparently Hytale is totally rewriting their engine in C++ from C# or Java.

lmao, this thing is never getting released.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
GTNH Report:

I love this pack. Another friend got too near the two of us already playing, so now a third player is on my server, scrambling in the dirt. He just built his first steam machines after about a week.

I am in the middle of MV right now. Testing the waters of thaumcraft and red power to see how much quality of life I can gain while my EBF chugs along on its processes of silicon, aluminum, and various ender.io metals.

Redpower is an almost adequate substitute for an AE system. I don't have the ability to pull items from my drawer chambers and large dust bins into my hands for immediate crafts, but at least I can pull them in to a chest attached to an crafting station to get general work done. For everything else, there's the blisteringly costed crafting cards. Even with the painful price point and guaranteed obsolescence in two more tiers, it feels worth while to automate conveyers, pumps, circuits, etc. I would never say that in another pack. Never build something I know will be outmoded eventually. But gregtech demands it, and I answer.

I have spent entire game sessions redoing the aesthetics of my base. I'm in there so much that the old cobble walls were making me cross eyed. Now it's stone brick and concrete floor, with Ztones aesthetic blocks making up my slightly distant thaumcraft tower.

The copter pack has a simplified exploration to an incredible degree, and my steel and carbon crossbow makes short work of most monsters I come across. I've twice died to Vengeance tagged special mobs and the overwhelming power of my own crossbow bolts. For them, the solution is a vanadiumsteel sword and prayer.

The machines are mostly a hodgepodge of vageul6 defined lines with no real attempt at building a solid A to Z ore processing plant yet. It just doesn't quite feel ready when the hv macerator is so close. Plus, there's so many ores, and each one has its own demands for optimal processing.

I love this modpack

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I went from OMnifactory to GTNH and I think that's a great choice. Lots of fun in the pack and it gives you a real opportunity to understand gregtech.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
does refined storage have greggified recipes or are you just using the vanilla ones

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Nomifactory, create above and beyond

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Polymc's whole dev team that isn't bigots are relaunching as Prism Launcher, as voted on in their new discord today. They were able to get access to the files from the old git repo.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
prism is literally Polymc but without the one weird dude so its pretty good

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
jesus christ. well prism launcher is still good

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Keep the night mod it really introduces a beautiful sense of terror in the early game (I think the same about infernal mobs, though)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
give it a shot. it feels modern to the point that it has some functionality that i don't see in recent modpacks.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
one of the single best moments of my GTNH playthrough was slapping together a dedicated water tank for the sink. The perfect version of Modded Minecraft would to me have that kind of thing plus the complicated assembly line processes of using AE to get things assembled, but no loving space travel. I am pretty sure the sheer hassle of those rocket ships is what killed my run.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i am playing gtnh with pollution and infernal mobs on. neither is really an issue once you're at the personal dimension stage of the game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
God I simply cannot play packs without Greg style ore generation now. Are there any other good modpacks like that besides gtnh and nomifactory?

I think the last modpack I played that wasn't either of those was create above and beyond, which ruled after the initial hump of scrounging. Regular kitchen sink style modpacks make my teeth hurt now though especially with 1.19 spreading everything out so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
at this point the deepest gaming dream of mine is for there to somehow be a gregtech new horizons that sheds itself of base minecraft entirely and becomes its own game. there's so much potential locked just behind having to deal with being a collection of minecraft mods.