Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

As another newcomer to GT:NH, I’d guess the issue isn’t a glitch with Rocko Bonaparte’s install, it’s just that finding the right item or recipe is a bigger pain than any other modpack I’ve played. For example, I almost came to the thread to ask how to make a simple iron plate for my first file, because:
-there are 98 results for “iron plate”
-the first one that’s just called “iron plate” is the IndustrialCraft2 version, and it can only be made in machines
-the Railcraft version of iron plate is the most visually distinct, but it too can only be made in machines
-the GregTech iron plate, the one I actually needed because it’s the only one that can be made with a hammer, looks almost exactly the same as the IC2 one
-there are 8,778 shaped recipes using a hammer so that’s no help
-there are 179 shaped recipes for the file I was trying to make, and while it’s easy to intuit that it’s the same shape with different materials, that doesn’t help me find the kind of iron plate I need

Eventually I realized that some of the other results for “iron plate” showed me the generic shaped recipe for hammering out plates and I was able to progress. But this kind of roadblock has happened multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm also grumpy about all the GT:NH recipes requiring so many tools that have metadata (durability) associated with them, so I can never have them autocomplete in the crafting grid. This is a double hoot for the recipes of a handful of things that require precise placement. So I end up having to look up some pretty basic stuff sometimes because I put stuff in the wrong order. Having a steam forge hammer has been a real boon because I just don't have to worry about most of those smaller hammer recipes any more. I was hoping the macerator would help with the mortar but it isn't consistent.

Hmm, I wonder if I have an NEI setting that needs changed or something. Autocomplete only ever gives me a ghost pattern and doesn’t actually move items into the grid regardless if durability is involved or not. I assumed this was just the way things worked in 1.7.

runchild
May 26, 2010

This is a silly question that I basically know the answer to, but: is there a setting to make newer versions of GregTech Community Edition use the older pipe models? I have an irrational but strong dislike for the newer skinny-with-cubes look.

I’ve been bouncing back and forth between GregBlock and Gregicality Skyblock Edition. Even though GSE is more up-to-date and has a number of QoL improvements, this is one of the sticking points for me.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

While I unfortunately don't have an answer to your question, what's the difference between Gregblock and GSE? Seems like they both aim to do more or less the same thing. Is it just that GSE is newer/more polished?

No worries, like I said I pretty much knew the answer. It was more of a roundabout way to complain if I’m being honest.

From what I can tell GSE dropped a few mods like Pneumaticraft and most of Project Red. The early game adds some stuff from Progressive Automation and Bonsai Pots, though it is very stingy with the hopping bonsais (which makes sense, those things are pretty OP). There’s probably plenty of other stuff I don’t know about too. Oh, and it re-added Thermal Dynamics, which was removed in GregBlock’s 2.0 update.

But you’re right that they are very similar. Gregicality itself seems to be a fork of Gregic Additions and the content from the other addons made for GregBlock. It was even called Gregic Additions Reworked originally, and Gregicality Skyblock Edition was GregBlock Reworked.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Two mods that no modpack has ever needed imo

GSE’s lack of the ProjectRed Project Bench is actually another big negative for me. It feels better than the Forestry Worktable or GregTech Crafting Station IMO. The red alloy wires and gates are nice too, though GSE still has that module so the two packs break even there.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Getting very tempted to spin up a 1.7.10 nostalgia pack to run on a server.

1.7.10: It just Works.

I’d be interested in that. One of my personal packs that I’ve been playing with lately is 1.12 but I call it “NostalgiaCraft” since it’s mostly just Buildcraft, Railcraft, IndustrialCraft, and Forestry.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

It wouldn't be that nostalgic.

What were you thinking of including?

runchild
May 26, 2010

Xun posted:

Has the thermal...series added the pipes back yet?

https://twitter.com/kinglemmingcofh/status/1516921736712769536

runchild
May 26, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

if anyone else has the brainworms i did in enjoying stuff like the bee breeding in forestry

Oh hell yeah

runchild
May 26, 2010

The Thermal Dynamics rewrite is on the way. King Lemming has been posting images of it on Twitter the last couple of months, and said he hoped to have a beta out pretty soon. And he said it will come to both 1.16 and 1.18.

I liked most of the changes I noticed in the newer version of Thermal Foundation, but I did find the changes to machine I/O a bit frustrating (blue and orange only, no more extra colors for extra slots). It didn’t ruin my experience or anything, just made things trickier. And hey, maybe the TD rewrite will offer a new way to fine-tune things.

Edit: I think they just replaced portable tanks with fluid cells. Which I think are uglier and too easy to confuse with flux cells but AFAIK work mostly the same.

runchild fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 2, 2022

runchild
May 26, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Huh, you know now that I see it I think I was using a pack at one point that had those but they were disabled or otherwise didn't work for some reason. Nice to know there was something, but of course it's another of the ones still stuck on 1.12.

Quark has a rope that sounds like it works exactly the way you want, and they keep that mod pretty up-to-date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

also, and I am sure I am opening a can of worms here, but I started getting recommended random "Skyblock" videos on youtube with ridiculous amounts of views, and some folks I follow have done their own skyblock stuff. what's all that about?

Skyblock is a mod pack style where you start on a small floating island in an empty void. Maybe it’s a tree on literally just one block of dirt, maybe it’s Botania’s “Garden of Glass” island, or maybe it’s not actually a block in the sky (like Stoneblock, for example). Regardless, the point is that you can’t go out and collect resources so you have to obtain them by other means. There are many mods that give you ways to do this, but the most common is Ex Nihilo, which is mainly about crushing cobblestone (usually obtained via lava+water) into gravel/sand/dust/etc and sifting it to get ores.

Personally I really enjoy skyblocks, because exploration can sometimes be frustrating and I really hate Minecraft combat. Skyblock refocuses things towards setting up automation and solving the puzzle of “how do I get X if I can’t just go mine it?”

Fun fact, the original skyblock was actually unmodded. It was just a custom map in vanilla.