Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Happy Hedonist posted:

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I think I'm going to look for a nice lapboard and wireless keyboard/mouse unless I can get my steam controller to work, that's a great suggestion. Last time I tried to run modded through steam it had issues because of the launcher, I'll try again.

This ain't a temporary thing so I might as well look for a long term solution.

I've had success with a little lapboard to a wireless m/kb on for couch gaming when a controller isn't feasible. Definitely try to get the steam controller working if you want to use a controller though, with all the fancy bindings it allows you to do you can get a nearly infinite amount of keybinds working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Constantly, as is the case these days with every mod ever made. Occasionally he'll bother responding "no" to people who ask if there's a Fabric version, but seems to entirely ignore requests for a Fabric port.

It's perfectly understandable, as is my understanding Fabric is a whole other beast entirely and doesn't have the libraries that Forge does to facilitate the process, I'm just more surprised that AE2 with all its impenetrable complexity made the leap, and despite SD being open source nobody's taken up that particular mantle. There are a couple offshoots of Simplified Storage, but that's not quite what I'm after.

AE2 was has a couple benefits - it was written by a total wizard who architected it brilliantly then handed it off, where it's been steadily maintained (with no feature changes to speak of) by some of the more talented modders in the community. Being open source for years with nobody keeping a stranglehold on it has meant a lot of people have had the freedom to tinker with its internal systems and get familiar. It's been smoothly updated with every MC version with little or no delay because of that, so when Fabric got mature it was the first big mod to get ported. It wasn't stable until some months ago due to some challenges with the rendering system.

Now that Create has been ported too, I'm hopeful that'll put to rest any ideas of Fabric not being able to do certain things. The speed of Fabric (or rather, the speed of its mostly-exclusive performance mods) makes it extremely appealing over Forge, but there's a ton of catching up to do on the mod front. Also seems like it'll have less of a problem overall with MC version upgrades, as an ecosystem.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rynoto posted:

All except optifine are generally pretty common already built in but optifine doesn't like their mod being packed so have to plug it in manually.

It's not that they don't like it, it's that it changes the rendering pipeline and breaks rendering for lots of mods, and breaks on certain GPUs. So modpack makers never want to deal with that.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Khorne posted:

Is there something wrong with gdlauncher? I stopped using multimc when they cried over the mc 1.whatever updates and refused to support it.

What's this about? It supports all the versions right now. The curseforge stuff will affect all third-party launchers equally anyway afaik

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Let's just be honest, every part of this game is the worst part of the game

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I do love the idea of AE2, but every single time I try to make another go of it I remember why I gave up in agony every previous time.

This can be fixed with about 2 custom recipes, to skip the growing and water-based stuff. AE2 is one of my favorite mods for lots of reasons, but the really bizarre early-game crafting stuff is a huge pitfall, and you should not feel guilty modding your way around them. Newer versions of the mod are making some changes to it too, so that should be a big help.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

1.19 drops and Fabric, Iris, Sodium, Lithium, Phosphorus et al all update day of, god drat :stare:

Fabric is good.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

If this pack is going to be more than 3-4 people I really wouldn't recommend manually distributing it. That can lead to all kinds of issues and eventually you'll want to tweak or add or remove something and you'll have to go through the whole process again. Better to use a system that is built to do that.

That said, with curseforge sucking rear end recently I'm not sure what the best choice is.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dynmap too, though it's kind of out of game

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Are there any client-side mods or datapacks that give the player a prone key? It's be nice to be able to get into small spaces without having to put a trap door down every time.

Client-only, as in joining servers that don't have it? No. But there are mods that add prone/crawling in general.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

For anyone looking for a server to play on, Progress is back! It's been a while, so things are a bit different this time. The pack is pretty small, but open-ended without any big changes to mods or recipes. It's all Fabric, and focused bigtime on performance, and using performance improvements to have a huge, beautiful world. Shaders come running out of the box :)

Server thread in PGS, anyone is welcome to hang out and have a good time: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006330

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

post screenshots

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

jesus christ

I need those trains

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Impermanent posted:

I haven't run it personally yet but from all of my experience with the Create team in general I can tell you: hell yea and way more performantly than you'd think.

Pretty hard on FPS though, I've found.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

It feels like everyone is beginning to abandon forge and switch over to fabric.

Not sure if this is because they're tired of forge drama or more interested in fabric capabilities.

It's a few things.

Fabric initially started as an API to make updating to new MC versions a lot faster, since Forge at the time was taking several months, I think almost a year at one point. Not only that but Forge updates required really heavy mod changes due to big API changes, making the modding scene usually multiple major versions behind MC. It delivered on this, with early fabric mods getting updated within days of new MC releases.

Around that same time Jellysquid was developing some big performance improvement mods, and they were far more effective than anything that came before, making modded MC playable on machines that struggled with it. To cut a long story short, she was trying to get some support/changes from the Forge devs to make these kinds of mods easier, and they were total jerks, and not for the first time. But Jellysquid said screw this, I'm not having anything more to do with Forge and left to work with Fabric. Once that suite of mods was up and running it gave Fabric a big edge, and Fabric put a lot more focus on performance vs sheer force of features like Forge (fluid, power, gasses, etc). Now it's not just runtime performance, it's startup time too. No more waiting 10 minutes to launch your game!

Forge continue to drive away mod devs, both for being personally abrasive people but also really unreliable as a platform - not only is it very slow to update, but they regularly release breaking changes in incremental releases (one is happening right now, actually). What this means is that a mod might say "made for Forge 40.1.x", where anything past the second decimal would be only minor bugfixes and no breaking changes. But Forge will release breaking changes in that minor version, making all mods break and confusing the hell out of users who don't know what's going wrong.

Forge still has a ton of inertia from built-in features and mods simply tailor built for it, but as time goes on more and more mods are jumping ship, as the work required to maintain things is no longer worth it. Every new MC version is a lot of pain for a Forge mod, but is a tiny piece of work for a Fabric mod.

I also have a vague and totally unverified feeling that all the CurseForge nonsense is accelerating it. The only real alternative to Curseforge is Modrinth, and even though Modrinth supports any mods it's unofficially the home of Fabric mods.

For me personally, from the moment I tried out Fabric with all the performance mods and was getting 150 FPS on a 32 render distance world without worldgen lag... I knew I would never, ever be able to play a Forge modpack again. And I haven't, and now I'm making Fabric packs myself since it finally matured enough to have some good content. :)

Hopefully before long we can all ditch Curseforge too.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Friend of mine's had a Shockbyte server for a while that was doing just fine with several people at a time on the lowest tier (1GB) back in 1.16, now with 1.19 he's beefed it up to the third tier (3GB) which is supposed to support up to 30 people, but having added nothing more than the usual Fabric optimizations, Origins, and Tom's Simple Storage (which is barely in use) it is semiregularly making GBS threads itself and dying from running out of memory and timing out with 3-6 people. I'm terrified of trying to introduce Create to this loadout once that updates given how much it's already struggling, and I'm not sure what to blame in this situation.

3GB is still pretty low, if you plan on having decent view distance and a few mods you'll very easily end up at 5-6GB. Make sure you have the right optimization mods (lithium) to reduce memory load, and have the server restart on a regular schedule. I have mine restart and back up every 6 hours. Also be aware that some optimization mods increase memory consumption, notably c2me.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Got Lithium and Starlight on the server side (thinking ahead because Sodium does weird poo poo with Create), that's it. Server restart every 6 hours is a little redundant when it already crashes and has to restart itself at least once an hour whenever anyone's playing. Never heard of c2me, though I've just discovered FerriteCore and Memory Leak Fix which both claim to help with memory issues though they're both pretty opaque as to how and MLF specifically recommends you use it in conjunction with an "optimization" mod that has a big fat upfront disclaimer that it introduces a memory leak :pseudo:

I really start to wonder how deep one can get into the rabbit hole of chasing optimizations before the strain of the stack of optimization mods is worse than the problem they're trying to fix, not to mention what some of these mod makers consider "optimization" in the first place.

What are the errors when it crashes? Even with low memory crashes that frequent are very unusual, something else is going on. Post the latest crash-report, or if there isn't one, the latest.log from after a crash.

Also you should definitely be using Sodium - it's more client focused but it does still help on the server side, and it should cause no problems with create. I use both on Progress with lots of players and those mods have never clashed.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

isndl posted:

How much exploration have the players been doing? Because Minecraft always eats poo poo when you start generating new chunks too quickly in my experience, and I can see six players spreading out causing that easily.

Yeah, this. Pregenerate the world with chunky pregenerator and set a world border so nothing new can be generated. May be worth doing the same thing in the nether too.

On Sodium, yes it is client focused and mostly changes rendering, but it also does some memory and multithreading stuff that helps on servers too.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Apparently it isn't currently compromised, but when someone shows their whole rear end like that, it's extremely likely that they're going to do something stupid and potentially harmful anyways. Best to proceed as if the project is already compromised to be sure.

Do we know that that's the actual maintainer? Could be their Discord got hacked. I mean, being a bigot like that and being in charge of a software package called "Poly" don't seem to go together.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Replace RS with AE :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hey everyone, back for my bi-annual Progress promotion!

Progress is back, and I've been more ambitious than ever. If you've never played on it, Progress is a modpack/server I've been running for.... definitely more than a decade now, changing a bit with every single iteration. We're just starting a brand new server - this pack is built around Create, has a full questline and tutorialization for all the complex mods, shaders out of the box and gorgeous worldgen. It's not a hardcore pack like many of you are probably used to but it has customized progression and a fun questline to follow. A whole bunch of super chill goons have been playing on this server for years and years and we'd love for more to join us :)

There is no whitelist, so you can simply download and jump in.

PGS thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023381