Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Rynoto posted:

For a challenge-based base builder I'm currently quite fond of The Winter Rescue which is frostpunk-inspired-but-minecraft.

Tried this out a bit and am enjoying it so far, though not without some annoyances. The temperature and weather stuff seems fairly neat, though I have been getting fairly lucky so far it seems. Been mostly regular or kinda warm weather so I barely had to pay attention to my temperature bar, though early on I did have one serious blizzard which was a bit of an oh poo poo moment, ending with me basically boxing myself in in a 2x2 space with a campfire next to me to survive. Not sure if there is a way to make a campfire heat a space more efficently, the ingame thing mentions that making a fireplace supposedly heats better but then doesn't give any hints on what that entails.

The start has been fairly slow, played for a few hours and only now am getting close to building the actual Frostpunk-esque generator. Till there it has been fairly TFC-lite, taking some of the mechanics like charcoal pits and kilns which are pretty neat, though also slow down progress a bit. Also it can be kinda easy to want to try and make mortar for bricks for aesthetic reasons but needing to kiln the flux to make limewater makes that both kinda time consuming and costly I realised. Also they bring both the good and the bad (but not all bad) of TFC mining over. You got huge ore deposits so finding one will settle you for a bit and there isn't even any annoying need of measuring units to make full bars (One piece of ore is one bar worth) and there are no cave-ins or anything. The downside is that they also got all the different stone variations and such and ores being tied to those. And maybe that is just a me thing but one of the worst feelings is needing to find a specific type of ore and having to just trek an unknown amount across the overworld to find a spot where it could spawn. Arguably this is where this modpack is even a bit worse than TFC, because you got no surface ore bits to hint at what might be below and while the quest journal does list in what rock those ores spawn, you don't get to see that info until you find the ore itself which I feel kinda invalidates the value of having it (You mostly get a hint of "In some igneous" and such, which might make it even worse if you did find a igneous rock type and now get to search caves without knowing if the ore is even spawning in that particular type). Also, no copper tools but bronze ones as well as making progress be gated, which was real annoying in my current run where I had a lot of copper if I wanted, but had to search quite a while to find tin and so was stuck with the lovely starter flint tools. I am probably being a bit too harsh on it, but one of the loading tips is "Less grinding than TFC" so they kinda invited comparisons themselves :v:

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying my time with the modpack, just that particular mechanic irks me. Sorta wish there was like a "geoscanner" thing or something you could get that would point you in the general direction of where you might find the ore, sorta like a nature's compass for stone types

Greader fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

In regards to the "fireplace" thing in the quest book in The Winter Rescue, I think it's referring to the fact that you can have a gap above the campfire in your shelter without ruining your heat. I'm not sure how much tolerance exactly for it there is, but having walls around the campfire in a U-shape, even a large shape like in a shelter, seems to contain the heat and allows you to walk around near the campfire during a snowstorm without having to huddle.

Additionally, if you have a sleeping bag I think you can sleep to skip night without using fuel in your campfire.

Been playing some more Winter Rescue and did some testing, and funnily enough it seems like the best way to get heated up quickly is to put the campfire on like a "Pedestal" of some kind, basically have it one block above the floor. Been trying that and it has been extremely effective, maybe a bit too much even. For some reason it feels like the heating is also somewhat inconsistently applied on all sides of the campfire, because when I placed it like essentially a brazier in the middle of my general work area, one of the diagonally adjacent spots got so hot that unless it was full-on blizzard time, I was taking damage instantly even when just walking through it. Tested this with other ones, including ones that were basically free standing outside and they all got one block diagonally that is getting heated much more than others, and seemingly in the same direction for all of them.

Otherwise, I kinda came around on the stone layer stuff a bit, biggest thing was realising that I guess Shale is just the topmost stone layer in my area and underneath is a lot of more variation, not sure if I am just unlucky with whatever is near the surface but it did make me assume it was gonna be the same for anything further below the ground too. New annoyance now is iron and how everything wants iron sheets, because babysitting that bloomery constantly is so much fun (Wonder if I can make it taller than the two blocks/8 ingots per run worth I got now though). Probably should beeline a way of producing iron quicker/with less manual input next

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Tbh it is kinda weird with TWR how lava gets like no mention in the quests and such (at least for as far as I got) and is seemingly only implemented in a "I guess it warms you, but not too much else you'd just build around it" kinda way. Especially because from what I know and remember of Frostpunk lore, the actual heat of the generators is largely geothermic with coal being used to help pump it or something, compared to the TWR one where the coal is apparently the main source of heat that you just burn in a fancy pile. Kinda feels like wasted potential when Minecraft already has stuff like pockets of lava to find and mods that add piping liquids and such, yet the generator is just a block you feed some coal into and it emits a warmth aura. Though I also have yet to get to the later parts of the pack, maybe once I am past TFC-lite and at whatever the tier 2 generator is, it will be actually be a bit more involved.

Feels like I have just been kinda making GBS threads on the modpack and nothing else in here and I am sorry about that. I guess it just hits a certain spot for me since it feels like there is something really neat almost there, but it doesn't quite manage to live up to it.