Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Given a mod and a datapack that does the same thing the mod does, is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Black Pants posted:

That said I've had a few people say they'd appreciate some sort of guide in packs like that so I've considered it for the one I'm going to be releasing soon but I'm not exactly sure how to go about unobtrusively informing players of their options in-game. I don't have any experience with Patchouli (and it seems a bit limited for this purpose) and while I could use FTBQ I guess it seems a bit overkill considering I sure as hell am not going to make actual quests.

My advice: forget unobtrusive. For a server I ran last year with a custom modpack, I simply wrote a cheat sheet and linked it in the op.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
It's true you do lose a lot in the switch from 1.12 to 1.16. The mods I miss the most are Twilight Forest, The Betweenlands, Mowzie's Mobs, RTG, and Streams. There is still one pretty compelling reason to upgrade: Create 0.3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDIuWv7ROi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCI9EF-GCII

Besides Create, you get the Forge ports of BetterEnd and (soon) BetterNether, Tetra (sort of an evolved Tinkers Construct), TerraForged, Alex's Mobs, and a lot more features from 1.12 standbys like IE, Quark, and Charm. Also, you get access to datapacks, a completely new "mod" format that is considerably easier for the player to tweak. A few excellent ones that focus on worldgen:

Incendium
WallsOfConquest
End City

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 1, 2021

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SugarAddict posted:

I'm still sad that twitch went "gently caress minecraft mods". It was the best rapid custom modpack maker I know of and it took 99% of the work out of "throwing mods in a modpack".

GDLauncher works better than Twitch/Curseforge ever did.