Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So a friend and I played Create Astral for a while before petering out, partly for non game reasons but partly because Astral had such janky and unintuitive behavior in a lot of places (its relationship with the multiblock smelter, various machines not working properly with funnels and belts, various recipes that were changed...) and poor documentation of those changes. We got just shy of building the electrolyzer (had about half the blocks made for it) before stopping.

I like Create as a mod, I liked the depth of farming and cooking that Astral provided, and I'm a fan of TC/Hephaesta/whatever it's called nowadays... but I do not need a long quest mod or a ton of overhauls to basic mechanics to enjoy the game. Especially not when those overhauls conflict. Just want to build some machines, grow some crops, and have a nice building environment going to make a model village or something.

Short of making a mod pack myself, what packs are even recommended for Create focused nowadays? Above and Beyond seems very progression focused (if I can ignore the progression or at least not have to dedicate everything to it, that's fine), but is there another good option to work with? Most feedback I've seen is one of those two packs or "make your own".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

taiyoko posted:

There's the steampunk pack, though that also has thin air and cold sweat, so you've got to manage temperature and have respirators (or diving helmet+backtank) for both high and low elevations (iirc, >128 or <0).

We actually tried that before Astral, and the temperature mechanics immediately turned both of us off it. Still have it installed but unlikely to go back.

I guess I can find something without Create if I have to. Just liked that approach for machinery a lot better than the others I've dealt with.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

OmniBeer posted:

You could try Create: Perfect World? It's not heavy- mostly all the Create add-ons, a bunch of decorative stuff, and some farming for a Vanilla + type of gameplay, but if you want Create and farming, it might work. Would just need to add TC/Heph or some other tool mod, because I think this one is strictly vanilla tools otherwise.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/create-perfect-world

I ended up starting with this one and got a little house going near a generated village, so we'll see how it works out. I like it so far. Unfortunately neither TC (not on 1.20) nor Heph (on the wrong framework) work with it, but I can live with vanilla tools.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

queeb posted:

is that actually good/ it looks very uhh, amateur i guess? minerals all over the ground you just pick up and stuff, seems weird

I found it downright terrible when I played it, but some people have really latched onto it, so maybe I missed something.