Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How do I get quartz sand in GT:NH? It doesn't give any reference on ore generation like the regular ores. If there's any nearby, would an ore scanner show it? I didn't see it so I assumed not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I wasn't actually seeing any recipes for it for some reason. I found out somewhere else about macerating sand so I stuck with that because I hate making mortars (and hammers, for that matter). I'll double check on a fresh startup of the pack tomorrow. I also don't see recipes using the macerator for most of the ores, which might explain why I was so confused about that machine.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

That sounds abnormal, you might want to try reinstalling.

Maybe? Let's just double check. I'm using GT:NH 2.0.9.0 from Technic. Rewinding a bit here, I was first having trouble figuring out the calcite process. If I type in "calcite" I get:
1 Native Calcite Cluster
14 GregTech Calcite Ores
1 Calcite Dust

I don't get crushed calcite ore nor impure calcite dust. I've kind of figured out by now that the Simple Dust Washer recipe means I can also just using a basin full of water but it doesn't spell out any more clearly how to get there with low-tech stuff.

Checking uses of the Overworld version of the Calcite Ore, there's a recipe to use the Forge Hammer to turn it into Crushed Calcite Ore that I really question. I don't think that works with the Steam Forge Hammer. There's a Pulverization recipe for it that has the same processing icon as the Macerator, but shows four products along with the two Crushed Calcite Ore, while I only get one from the Macerator. I have figured out that I can kind of infer from the Pulverization recipe that I can use the Macerator at this point, but it doesn't come up among the tabs.

Magnetite Ore only produces one Crushed Magnetite Ore but still doesn't have a Macerator recipe.

Quartz Sand has a Pulverization recipe but no Macerator recipe.

It generally looks like the Steam Age machines are just not represented and are just kind of assumed?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

runchild posted:

Plate rage

I'm also grumpy about all the GT:NH recipes requiring so many tools that have metadata (durability) associated with them, so I can never have them autocomplete in the crafting grid. This is a double hoot for the recipes of a handful of things that require precise placement. So I end up having to look up some pretty basic stuff sometimes because I put stuff in the wrong order. Having a steam forge hammer has been a real boon because I just don't have to worry about most of those smaller hammer recipes any more. I was hoping the macerator would help with the mortar but it isn't consistent.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It should complete into the grid if it's something that doesn't require one of the typical tools (mallet, hammer, wrench...). I've had a few machine parts complete that way.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are there any convenient tricks for synchronizing Better Questing progress with new teammates on a server? We added a new person to the group and most of the progress didn't make it down to them. I thought that if they logged out and back in that more would synchronize but it didn't.

The worse-case I see is to enable edit mode, get all the missing quest IDs, and then just set them to complete on the console, one at a time. I really want to avoid that though.

This is also with GT:NH so for all I know, this has been improved post-1.7.10.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
"Nether star plates." What did I get myself into?

At what tier in GT:NH could I use a hobbyist steam engine? It looks like tin cables won't connect to it and somebody in Discord confirmed it's a no-go there. I'm wonder if this one I found in a village is something I can do this-or-that particular thing to incorporate into my LV power generation.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is the normal GT:NH Thaumcraft wand progression something like this?

1. Smash nagas. Make an iron-capped, wooden wand.
2. Smash more nagas. Make a gold-capped, wooden wand.
3. Smash lich. Make a gold-capped, greatwood wand.

I'm there with my plain-old iron-capped, wooden wand about to make the greatwood wand and seeing I need 30 vis in all the primals, but the wand will only support 25. It sounds like I have to blow some effort making an intermediate wand I'll immediately throw out.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have some sense that Faldoncow is curious about what kind of space to set aside for all that because setting that up is probably the next few days for the two of us on Boof's server.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If I'm just messing around in a generic modpack then I try to cram in the prefab mod so I can slap down some ranch house somewhere with a shaft down to Y=12.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It looks like we did the same thing Gwyneth Palpate did and managed to build our base on top of a stronghold on accident.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I also wonder how the handled people breaking and taking the chests. In challenge modpacks, I often rejoice that I found a chest because I wanted the chest and not the contents.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The greatwood scepter quest in GT:NH didn't complete for me. It clearly wants iron caps. Does it expect it to be fully charged or something?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What's a checklist for stuff to be ready to do on your first trip to the moon in GT:NH? We want to make sure we pack up the right stuff. It sounds like there's a protracted trip to grab titanium, and possibly a need for a moon base to replenish oxygen. I was thinking we have to grab up meteors and do the dungeon too.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Eox posted:

There are far too many Gregs

My theory is that Greg is the spirit of Gregor MacGregor. You should never trust anything that has a lot of Greg in it:

quote:

General Gregor MacGregor (24 December 1786 – 4 December 1845) was a Scottish soldier, adventurer, and confidence trickster who attempted from 1821 to 1837 to draw British and French investors and settlers to "Poyais", a fictional Central American territory that he claimed to rule as "Cazique". Hundreds invested their savings in supposed Poyaisian government bonds and land certificates, while about 250 emigrated to MacGregor's invented country in 1822–23 to find only an untouched jungle; more than half of them died. MacGregor's Poyais scheme has been called one of the most brazen confidence tricks in history.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a sustainable item I can use for machina essential in GT:NH? Buttons are my typical but they need springs.

Really, I could just go for that but I feel awkward making a stack in order to fill a tank.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Clairetic posted:

Forge devs have also been beating a drum about an upcoming feature about hot swapping of mods, so I think the plan is to have it so you can connect to servers with *different modlists* and load/unload mods accordingly. Who knows when/if that will actually happen though. I suspect some of the ??? is seeing stuff being added in anticipation of that.

That sounds excessive for regular users but I can imagine that is a real boon for mod interaction development, especially with the horrible startup times these days.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Clairetic posted:

I actually was leaning really heavily in this direction back in the day, but people expressed concerns about like, the fact that possibly 80% of the audience is children whose parents might take issue with it. So I want to do it but it might have to be abstracted out a little bit into 'potions' and 'infusions' so it doesn't look too much like real world drug use. That's part of the reason I was thinking about ways to cook and stew stuff over a campfire - I had a 'tea kettle' item (which has been supplanted by clay pots due to the overworld focus) for brewing those sorts of ingredients into magical tea/juice.

I remember finding out so many kids were playing Baby's First Space Race and I had to quickly audit all the quests to make sure I wasn't cursing like a sailor.

Regarding boozing it up, what if you just consumed whatever and it hit you when you went to sleep? Like a dream or something.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I need some more details on feeding a hungry node. I set up a dispenser overhead to drop crafting tables on a 1-second clock pulse. I built a bit of a chute to encourage a straighter drop. The node has roughly 25 in the primals. With a thaumostatic harness and girdle, I can't escape it's pull if I get within a block of it. I assume that will get worse. It is encased in obsidian such that an equal trade focus could glass the for jarring... somehow. I'm playing GT:NH so there's apparently something that I can make and point at it to make it temporarily normal (vortex attenuator?) but it looks like I need to wrap myself some more before it'll even show up. What should I be preparing to successfully capture this node once I spice it up to 100 in all primals?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding the hungry node: I did see that trick about tainting, but with the idea you somehow jar it and take it to an existing tainted biome. I guess you encase the node in obsidian and equal trade it to glass before jarring it.

I was having a hard time imagining that working. You make the switch, sure, but then the node presumably eats the glass.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is anybody else generally interested in a GT:NH server? Mr.Boofu's server will go down soon, and it's basically down to me and Faldoncow. We've slowed down quite a bit but we'd keep it up with our slower pace if there were other people generally around. We're trying to figure out if we want to migrate the server's save state to a new instance when the service expires.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What is the research path to bottled taint anyways? I think I saw that the bucket of liquid death is a pre-req, but I can't even get that to come up yet.

dragonshardz posted:

Depending on how much RAM GTNH asks for (it's 1.7.10?) I could host it on a bit of the Disasterpiece crew's hardware. Our other throwback server - some wacky super saiyan thing - seems to mostly be uninhabited of late.

I can act like it's no skin off my back to just use somebody else's hardware, but then the question becomes whether or not you're just hosting a dead server instead. That isn't fair though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

dragonshardz posted:

:shrug: I'm putting the option out there, is all. We've got a little wiggle room to host stuff that "sleeps" when nobody is on, and if it's a couple people grinding on GTNH it'll be a blip compared to the ~12GB our mainline server is likely to want.

Okay if you're cool with it then I'd be happy to take a stab at a migration. Mr.Boofu was going to pull everything off when the server goes down so we can try to migrate it all to that server. It would probably be easier to coordinate on the Discord he had set up: https://discord.gg/HXYuQKAxkb

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What would help me get more feathers in GT:NH? I'm guessing I should slaughter chickens with fortune, but I guess I need to use one of the blessed knives of the pack since other weapons are liable to cause random explosions and kill half the remaining chickens to little effect.

I tried blow a fan on them into a hopper. I got a chest full of eggs, but no feathers.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Did you want feathers so you could melt them down into Volatus essentia?

That's the situation. I don't need a ton of them, but I think I only get 2 volatus per feather and I'm probably going to need 2-3 jars. So upwards of a stack of feathers. The drop rate just hasn't been too good, but I'll see what the cleaver gives me.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Do you mean particularly that progress is specifically blocked on various quest rewards?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

FPzero posted:

It's really funny to see people unironically suggesting a gregtech pack these days because back when technic pack was getting started, it was the butt of jokes here. The million intermediate steps to lengthen IC2's already somewhat complex recipes especially.
Yeah I think it's some kind of stages of grief thing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got little hangups like that too while play GT:NH. Then my system SSD started failing. It's fine after replacing (and reinstalling Windows...).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I popped on a multiplayer goon Blightfall server a few years ago a few days after it started up. Everything had already been finished with a giant mashup of machines and connectors. I feel like if you want to run a Blightfall server that you'll just have to be ready to flatten it regularly.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In my head, I have some notion of a team-based block game where the two sides have to blow up the other's MacGuffin or something and there's a mix of offence, defense, resource acquisition, and tech progression ending in a pile of Wile E Coyote machine shenanigans. Unfortunately, I expect it to mostly end in a lot of cheesy behavior.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How do you make those sexy multiblock diagrams?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah that's where I'm messing around. I'm just very slowly trying to get an ME network up. I just fart around a little with it each night as I can. We were more prolific earlier in the year but then life happened. I think it'll still play better with a few more people in the team even if we don't run into each other too much.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Also, play with other people!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

are there any decent kitchen sink modpacks that can work with only 8GB of RAM? preferably with lots of Items and Progression™ but not like a full on expert mode pack

last time i got into modded minecraft it seemed all the big'un packs were all for 16GB and up

No specific recommendation but you can get away with more if you stay with older Minecraft versions. I think 1.8.9 is where it got gobbly with RAM. Of course you can run newer packs but not with the kind of kitchen sink excessiveness you're wanting.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to optimize Thaumcraft distillation in GT:NH. I don't think the core mechanics on that haven't really changed in that pack. It's using Thaumcraft 4. I'm duplicating a lot of certus quartz because I need heaping fistfuls over fistfuls of the stuff to get an intermediate amount of AE2 working. So I'm trying to figure out how to speed up the alchemy process.

I have an alchemical boiler working on water and an alchemical furnace working on glass. Four parts vitreus from glass and two parts aqua from water let me duplicate a certus quartz crystal. I know if I already have essentia on hand that it runs faster. I'm directly piping the furnaces into the alchemical construct.

It looks like the furnace's internal essential buffer is full and I'm not distilling the vitreus particularly quickly. I've tried bellows on the furnace, as well as connecting an alembic to a buffer with a bellows attached to that. I don't think it's really helping. The FTB Wiki claims "attaching Arcane Bellows to the sides [Re: Alchemical Furnace] increase the speed of draining the buffer," but I don't see any difference.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

BlondRobin posted:

For what it’s worth the only way to speed up the rate at which essentia moves from the furnace to an alembic (any alembic, more alembic won’t speed it up) is using Alumentum as fuel. For this reason I used to create infinite Alumentum to run my essentia burners, though I haven’t in my own GTNH run since they tripled the cost of the conversion and made it harder to get charcoal.

Also there’s an upgraded alchemical furnace in one of the mod mods, it requires Alumentum but is supposed to be even faster? I haven’t tested it yet.

Honestly I can’t imagine needing to duplicate ores in this pack given a casual mine will get thousands upon thousands, and then you can just have a robot mine for you at any level so you can have as many ore veins as you want, but I also cheated in a prospector scanner I guess. It’s probably more important if you’re playing totally legit.

What got me on this track was stuff like this:
https://imgur.com/a/PlqCN

...where they are stuffing bellows on buffers for some reason. So I had a notion that I could draw the essentia more quickly with them if I introduced some buffers and bellows. It doesn't seem too straightforward.

I guess the advanced alchemical furnace is the thing that might do this faster, but I'm anticipating the recipe for that to be especially nasty in GT:NH.

I'm trying to get way ahead on AE2 in the pack and start hooking up everything. Doing that with some ergonomics and aesthetics is going to eat up a ton of cable. At this point, I have a complete flow from a cobblestone generator to the furnace to get vitreus and I'm trying to lean into it. There's always the old thing of making more than one furnace and going parallel instead, but I'd rather do some clever buffer/bellows thing if it will be faster.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In our GT:NH game, I suddenly had water blocks disappearing, netherrack disappeared, cobblestone turning to gravel, gravel to sand, sand to nothing, and lava to cobble. I thought it was some crazy warp effect but I don't see such listed in Thaumcraft nor the extra warps mod the pack has. Pollution sounded similar. I measured something like 400,000 gibbl which seems to be too low for sour/acid rain or whatever. It eventually stopped when I went a hundred blocks out and back. What the heck could that have been?

Edit: I guess it is some Gregtech effect. I also expect McFrugal to come smashing into the wall to vent on this particular topic. I didn't even know it was a thing going on since I don't remember seeing a prompt for it like the other effects that come up.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 27, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I found the config. I don't want to just disable everything. Well, I really like my lonely creepers. They're very cute.

Is there anything typical in 1.7.10 for detecting if an item is damaged? I'd like to outright trash anything that's damaged but I can't think of anything in the normal ecosystem. I also don't think Integrated Dynamics ever was made for 1.7.10. If it was, it certainly isn't in GT:NH.

Edit: I guess OpenComputers has something, but I haven't really looked into it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Pretty sure EnderIO conduits can check metadata like damaged/undamaged.
I did some experiments. The advanced ones can filter on various 25 percentiles of damage as well as any damage or no damage. It has to be done with respect to a blacklist/whitelisted item, so I need to specify all the items I want to test. I can't directly just filter out any damaged item: blank whitelist, any damage. I don't think blank blacklist, no damage worked either for a blanket filter. Nothing did anything like I'd expect unless I started listing items in the filter.

My setup also seems to be throwing out everything right now whether damaged or not, so I don't think I have it completely right. I think it has to do with priorities because it seemed like it worked fine in a simple chest-to-chest experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've always previously leaned on Thermal Dynamics ducts for more complicated sorting scenarios and now I'm struggling with EnderIO conduit filtering and priorities for a mob farm. It's very fond of my -10 priority insertion into a trash can that's pretty much first in line for processing. That's supposed to be my fallback. I was under the impression that higher numbers are going to be favored over lower numbers, and I don't see anything that states distance matters. However, some inserts filtered for just basic items (gold ingots, iron ingots, ender pearls) with a priority of 50 on the same line don't appear to get any attention.

I also have a filters into a separate section for undamaged gear that I can recycle, but it doesn't receive anything. The trash is set up with -10 priority advanced filters for the basic gear types, ignoring metadata, any damage. Does any damage also mean zero damage? I am trying to filter into the processing line using basic filters set for the gear, ignoring metadata, at priority 50. My fear was that damaged gear would wind up there. Instead, nothing winds up there.

I'm inspecting this by replacing the trash can with a chest and watching what rolls into there. Basically, everything is rolling into there now that my overfill storage is full. Well, mostly full. There are actually a few chests on the end that don't get any attention. Their priorities are zero, they are set to insert, and they don't have filters. This makes me think that distance does matter for priority.