Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Gregtech: New Horizons status:

How high is the pollution from four blast furnaces running all the time? Actually it looks like you have a couple other sources of pollution, what are those?

The pollution values in GTNH are a bit spitballed atm, they're trying to balance it better so I'm wondering how bad it is already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That'd be funny, but probably not.

I lurk in their development chat room, and they had a big slapfight over pollution today. (Not related to the RC boiler thing.) Supposedly the design goal of pollution is to punish multiplayer server players for spamming tons of laggy low-tier poo poo instead of teching up. It's a very new mechanic.

I don't see a slapfight anywhere on the Discord, are you talking about a different chat room?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I wasn't actually seeing any recipes for it for some reason. I found out somewhere else about macerating sand so I stuck with that because I hate making mortars (and hammers, for that matter). I'll double check on a fresh startup of the pack tomorrow. I also don't see recipes using the macerator for most of the ores, which might explain why I was so confused about that machine.

That sounds abnormal, you might want to try reinstalling.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm also grumpy about all the GT:NH recipes requiring so many tools that have metadata (durability) associated with them, so I can never have them autocomplete in the crafting grid. This is a double hoot for the recipes of a handful of things that require precise placement. So I end up having to look up some pretty basic stuff sometimes because I put stuff in the wrong order. Having a steam forge hammer has been a real boon because I just don't have to worry about most of those smaller hammer recipes any more. I was hoping the macerator would help with the mortar but it isn't consistent.

Good news, the devs are removing metadata from tools so they'll go into the crafting grid.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are there any convenient tricks for synchronizing Better Questing progress with new teammates on a server? We added a new person to the group and most of the progress didn't make it down to them. I thought that if they logged out and back in that more would synchronize but it didn't.

The worse-case I see is to enable edit mode, get all the missing quest IDs, and then just set them to complete on the console, one at a time. I really want to avoid that though.

This is also with GT:NH so for all I know, this has been improved post-1.7.10.

GTNH's version of BQ has a GUI for edit mode so it's a lot less annoying than that.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I found out that the version of tinkers construct in GTNH has decreasing returns on repairs. Every repair reduces further repairs by 1%, up to 50% at 50 repairs. What the gently caress.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I've left it on so far, just to see what would happen. I put my bricked blast furnaces a few chunks away from my main area and I'm using solar boilers for power still so my EBF is the only thing producing pollution. Gonna see if that's enough pollution to give me any debuffs.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So pollution decreases once per minute. Each minute a chunk loses 0.55% of its total pollution. Then if it has >400k, it take checks each adjacent chunk and spreads 5% of the difference between the polluted chunk and adjacent chunks.

What that means is there is a stasis point for a chunk with 100% uptime on machines where the spread and dissipation equal the amount you are producing. Unfortunately that amount is around 379/sec before the chunk stabilizes above 500k. It's way too low of a threshold and way too punishing. The debuffs are applied way too frequently and last too long. The duration and severity are based on pollution level but even the minimum 500k gives like 25 seconds.

If you shut pollution off it doesn't take more than a few minutes for the levels to drop below 500k because of how pollution pushes to neighboring chunks. Unless disabling it in the configs ALSO disables the dissipation/spread mechanics in which case I would cheat in an air filter machine, the filters, and a battery and just run it until the number drops to safe levels and then trash the machines.

Miners are incredibly awesome and absolutely worth the giant pile of steel for all the mining pipe. Cheat in an admin anchor so they actually work away from your base!

Yeah the pollution settings are definitely overtuned and the devs are lowering pollution rates (and/or raising the thresholds?), it remains to be seen if it will be enough for normal machine use to not produce debuffs.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
It still baffles me that the MFR dev put it in as a rare drop from regular rear end rubber trees. You would eventually get one from a rubber tree farm, and if you didn't know any better you'd plant it and wipe out possibly your entire base. It should have been creative mode only.

As for GTNH I recommend the redwood sapling type you can plant just one of and get a tree out of it. It's tall, but not unreasonably so, and chops very easily with a lumber axe.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

I remember power crystals getting annoyed at people because he did not put it in as a drop, it was creative-only and people were adding it as chest loot or drops in modpacks.

Then someone picked up MFR after power crystals stepped away and whoops, now it's a normal rubber tree drop.

Oh, so for once the original mod author was more reasonable than the person who continued development.
Still, I think power crystals should've just removed the sapling from the mod once people started misusing it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Pam traps are annoying and terrible in that as soon as you place bait in it, it consumes one to activate the trap. However it only functions while it has bait in it, consuming one each time it produces items. In other words, a single bait never actually functions it just vanishes and it "deactivates" again. They're kind of terrible and it's easier to just get the animals and make a traditional farm. I can't really think of a way to automate them short of filtering capable blocks like you mentioned.

GT fish traps however are awesome and a huge spread of them is the cornerstone of a biodiesel production setup. They even fish up the occasional emerald or gold nugget.

Well, a traditional farm will require manual collection of items anyway via killing the mobs. Also I don't think rabbits are in the game so the ground traps are the only way to get rabbit meat. The pam's fish trap is I think the only way to get some fish types as well. Rabbit meat and rare fish are the only real concerns there though, so once you have those eaten you can stop using pam traps.

Oh, to everyone else: one of the fish from GT fish traps doesn't actually melt down so you'll need to filter it out alongside the other junk.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Another way to make an unbreakable tool is to slap a part on it that gives Reinforced IV(unstable parts might be easiest), then put 3 additional modifiers on it via the special mods, then you only need 3 mods from levels to fit enough obsidian to get to reinforced X.
You can also just make a tool entirely out of unstable parts, but that costs a LOT of diamonds for the heavier tools since you have to craft semi-stable nuggets.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Speaking of astral, I'm trying to make starmetal in astral sorcery out of iron ore blocks. I stick them near a crystal in a temple/shrine, I link it with the wand, a beam of light connects them and they start to sparkle. And then just.. sit there. I kept the thing chunkloaded and waited an entire day and they just sit there. What am I doing wrong?

It takes longer if you link multiple blocks to the crystal. Did you put down like 20 blocks or something? Also even if the beam is pointing at an empty block it'll slow down conversion, so be sure to remove beams that you don't need anymore. Try 4 at once.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Robotic arms are way less used. Motors and circuits though, yeah. Personally I make them 8 at a time but I guess I could start doing 16...

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Basically, yeah. Though, with your example (in GTNH at least,) you can make a flint pickaxe more or less the normal way. Plus, TiCon is in the pack. The vanilla tools don't even work AFAIK.

I don't think a single one of us is playing this pack because we think GregTech is a fun, balanced mod. We're in it for the suffering. :unsmigghh:

Vanilla tools work but they're pretty bad by comparison.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

ugh, polyethylene

ugh

really highlights how you want to automate the lower levels of your production chains first!!

Yeah polyethylene really demands that you make a bunch of machines just to make it. Though you can siphon off some of the products at some points, like divert some ethylene to a tank for use making other chemicals.
There's three production methods for polyethylene:
1, oil -> sulfuric light fuel (via distillery) -> light fuel (chemical reactor, using hydrogen) -> severely steam cracked light fuel (chemical reactor again, using steam, will need a fluid canner to put either steam or light fuel into a can for the recipe) -> Ethylene (distillery) -> Polyethylene (chemical reactor, using oxygen or compressed air)
2, plants -> yellowish biomass (brewing machine using water) -> ethanol (distillery) -> ethylene (dehydrator) -> polyethylene (chem reactor) Please don't ask me why there's two biomass fluids that share the same name but do different things.
3, same as 2 but you use a chemical reactor instead of a dehydrator, inputting sulfuric acid but requiring less eu.
Easiest way to make sulfuric acid is by combining sulfur and oxygen to make sulfur dioxide, then again to make sulfur trioxide, and then mixing it with water to make the acid. It's not the worst thing but I don't like the oxygen requirement. I wound up using method 1 because I didn't know at the time that there were two different biomass types and was looking at the other type which is much worse for ethanol production so I thought it wasn't very viable before HV. You can get a lot of oil pretty easily... I'm not sure how easy it is to get a comparable supply of plants. I think later on you're processing oil via a distillation tower and can use the less valuable results to produce ethylene so method 1 might be advantageous in the long run.
Seems like a lot of things use oxygen, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a steady supply of it. Most people grow sugar beets (an IC2 crop) to make sugar to process for oxygen.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 25, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hooplah posted:

btw, the best rate of return for ethylene is from naphtha rather than light fuel.

Are you sure about that? I did some math recently and light fuel is the best if you're forced to make only one thing from oil (which will be the case before you get a distillation tower).
Oil to sulfuric light fuel is 1:1, then 1:1 again to light fuel, then 5:4 to severely steam cracked light fuel, and 4:1 to ethylene. That's 20:4 or 5:1 overall.
Oil to sulfuric naptha is 5:2, 1:1 to naptha, 5:4 to severely steam cracked naptha, then 2:1 to ethylene. That's 50:8 or 25:4 overall, slightly less efficient.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

Whats that? you don't like creepers spawning in the middle of your factory floor and detonating themselves on your line of MV machines? or the zombie that just tunneled his way though your fuel tanks and generators? or the fact you have to spend a whole day away from everything in a fortified bunker while madly swinging a sword at everything that moves in the hopes they die before they tunnel into your bunker? etc. etc. etc.

Suffering Is FUN......

There are no tunneling mobs in GTNH, and spawning rules don't change, so if you've properly lit your base you still won't get creepers. Bloodmoons are mostly harmless in that pack, you just get more mob spawns and can't skip night. Not being able to skip night means solar power is less effective on that day, of course.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Turn off infernal mobs and special mobs. :v:

I kindof agree with this anyway, but you do get enchanted loot from infernal mobs and some special mobs are useful for their drops, so I've just changed the configs to be less annoying. No fishing mobs, no mobs that require a wooden sword to kill, gravel dirt and drowning creepers are off, Vengeance gets turned off, most of the infernal modifiers that can activate out of combat get turned off too (ghastly and storm most importantly, but gravity and blastoff get disabled too).

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 26, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

GDLauncher works better than Twitch/Curseforge ever did.

I don't agree with that, but it's almost as good feature-wise.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Fabric will probably slowly expand their hooks so that more powerful mods can be made with it without wrecking the load times, and then we will be free of Forge.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

https://gserv.me/minecraft-and-subtle-bigotry/

tl:dr, Fabric's bleeding devs due to community shittery and the people in charge of the project (or rather, the one person in charge currently, the IC2 dev Player) would rather ban people trying to do something for 'starting drama' than fix anything.

People are also afraid that he'll just wipe all the sourcecode if he gets pushed enough.

Well. "people with pluralities" is certainly a new term.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Right now, I'm ferrying oil manually from a moderately distant geyser with dollies and aluminum tanks. Eventually, though, I want to set up a multiblock drilling rig. I'm also on one of the prerelease alpha versions, which has a "long distance pipeline" feature (apparently cloned from the 1.12.2 version of GT6.) It basically teleports liquid from one distant area to another without the fluid actually being in the pipes, as long as both ends are in loaded chunks and there's an unbroken line of pipe blocks between.

Well that's an stopgap solution to have before you get ender tanks, I suppose.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah wasn't it redstone dust, not blocks?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I need some more details on feeding a hungry node. I set up a dispenser overhead to drop crafting tables on a 1-second clock pulse. I built a bit of a chute to encourage a straighter drop. The node has roughly 25 in the primals. With a thaumostatic harness and girdle, I can't escape it's pull if I get within a block of it. I assume that will get worse. It is encased in obsidian such that an equal trade focus could glass the for jarring... somehow. I'm playing GT:NH so there's apparently something that I can make and point at it to make it temporarily normal (vortex attenuator?) but it looks like I need to wrap myself some more before it'll even show up. What should I be preparing to successfully capture this node once I spice it up to 100 in all primals?

Hungry nodes always pull/eat at the same radius regardless of size. Also you can escape a hungry node with a glider I think?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

a hungry node almost ate my horse one time but I rescued it

Wow, how? Did you grab it with a golden lasso then glide away?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Regarding the hungry node: I did see that trick about tainting, but with the idea you somehow jar it and take it to an existing tainted biome. I guess you encase the node in obsidian and equal trade it to glass before jarring it.

I was having a hard time imagining that working. You make the switch, sure, but then the node presumably eats the glass.

You don't need to move it while it's still Hungry. Get yourself some bottled taint and just slap the ground under the node to taint the area. Might be safest to taint the chunk from underground actually, you don't want the thrown bottle to get sucked into the node instead of hitting the ground.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The title for the Blood Magic section of GTNH is "Paying the highest price"

the high part of the price isn't blood, but in this case, arcane stone

I heard there's almost no benefit to doing blood magic in GTNH. You get some extra foods to eat for max hp, that's about it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Teleposers beg to disagree. Interdimensional teleportation for players (and most tile entities, including probably chests and tanks) are going to make my life MUCH easier.

There are other methods of teleportation in the pack. I think there's a method via Witchery?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
EU doesn't work at all like RF so I am personally okay with it being its own thing.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
GTNH needs like 5 or 6 GB of ram to run. Not as bad as you'd expect.

For me to switch to a server at this point would necessitate some guarantee of it either lasting years or giving me access to the save file once it goes down. I'd also strongly desire creative mode for a bit to get myself back near the point I'm at in singleplayer, which is... like halfway through HV?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 25, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What would help me get more feathers in GT:NH? I'm guessing I should slaughter chickens with fortune, but I guess I need to use one of the blessed knives of the pack since other weapons are liable to cause random explosions and kill half the remaining chickens to little effect.

I tried blow a fan on them into a hopper. I got a chest full of eggs, but no feathers.

A Butcher's Cleaver is what you want for slaughtering animals. They come with built-in looting.
You could put a bunch of chickens on top of a hopper that feeds a dispenser that shoots eggs at a wall, then periodically cull the adult chickens resulting from that. You can also set up some automated system to kill the adults but I don't know what options are easily available.

Did you want feathers so you could melt them down into Volatus essentia? I think bees have that too, so you can set up a bunch of apiaries or bee houses to breed drones to melt.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I feel like GTNH may take over a year to complete, if you know what you're doing. And you leave it running or use a server.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

FPzero posted:

Well, I tried out GTNH yesterday and it seems interesting so far. However, I kept getting huge lag spikes while playing, some so bad they actually crashed minecraft without crashing the game, causing all entities to stop moving and for the game to crash when trying to exit. Today, I tried booting it up and opening my world, and the game just never loads the world, instead just kicking me out to the main menu again. Maybe this pack was just never meant to be for me. Maybe it's the ghosts of technic pack past trying to stop me from playing a gregtech focused pack.

Any thoughts?

How much RAM did you give it? 4-6GB is enough, I wouldn't go lower or higher. I'm giving it 5GB.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

FPzero posted:

I'm not sure how much longer I'm gonna play GTNH. I can feel myself falling off from it more and more each time I play. I just hit Steam, and now I'm facing the prospect of needing as much bronze and iron as I do to proceed, and then dealing with steam boilers and potential explosions, and I just feel so spread thin playing by myself. The added crafting steps to make everything is starting to wear on me too. The opening was interesting to see how the super stone age progression worked, but now I'm past that initial novelty. Do we have any kind of PGS server for GTNH here?

I might go back to Heavens of Sorcery as a solo venture, since that had a real interesting opening progression and was a lot lighter on, well, everything.

One way you can reduce the microcrafting annoyance is to just build a whole bunch of parts at once. A common saying is "if you need one, build a stack" but that's... not really viable for most things, and you really should avoid overproducing in steam age where your efficiency is low. In steam age you can make like 8 or 16 of a thing and not waste too much resources, while vastly reducing the microcrafting tedium.
You should also get a tcon hammer asap so you can mine quickly (preferably with a digger and miner backpack). The amount of ore you need is actually not nearly as bad as it looks because ore veins are so massive. Also get a railcraft water tank so you don't ever have to worry about water. If your boiler is always full of water it can't explode!

Heavens of Sorcery is generally better though, if GTNH isn't interesting enough to you that you can overlook its various annoyances.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I agree with most of the above. Definitely turn off mobgriefing and pollution. Pollution is in the midst of a rework and will be officially disabled next patch anyway while they figure out how to implement it. If you install aromabackup you don't really need to turn off machine explosions but I don't blame you if you do.
Early on you should at least settle in an 80% humidity biome, because the earliest source of infinite water gives water at a rate directly tied to the humidity. Also IC2 crops prefer a high humidity biome but don't worry too much about that.

Later on, you should consider finding a spot that has easy access to multiple biome types if you're at all interested in bees. Mostly the temperature and humidity gradients; don't worry about normal/normal because you can force that with a silverwood sapling. Silverwood saplings can be bought easily in a coin quest.

You can ignore bees I guess but you either need bees or ic2 crops and they're both annoying in some way until you can afford genetic modification. IC2 crops are potentially less annoying once you get renewable glowstone and spider eyes (via a common plant for the former, a relatively easy ic2 crop for the latter) since you can make weed-ex from that and it turns out weed-ex does not hurt crops unless they have high Growth stat. With a crop matron spraying weedkiller you can actually set down crop sticks and walk away! Bee mutation and production can be automated too; it's harder in some ways to scale that up and easier in others... crops vs bees is a complicated matter. Doing both is viable too since some materials are easier to get one way or the other. Black Granite dust is important at one point and that's easiest to get via crops.

Also swamps are generally nice to settle in because slimes are easy to kill, have a good repeatable quest, and the various specialmobs slimes drop useful things (mostly).

Don't beeline for the healing axe. Eat all the food you can, the hearts really add up. Also, each food contributes based on saturation so don't expect tiny foods to give you many hearts (they DO count though)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Tinker tools get harder to repair every time you repair them, capping out at half efficiency. Any tool that uses a lot of durability will eventually start sucking up a noticable amount of materials to repair. Excavators and Lumber Axes are the worst offenders; Hammers have a durability multiplier that makes up for it mostly, and you're more likely to slap a bunch of reinforcement on a hammer to make it last longer.

Because of this, you should absolutely definitely use easy-access materials for excavators and lumber axes. Iron and steel are NOT easy enough to come by to use for this. Netherrack is the easiest material to get that works as a tool head, and you really won't care about the lower mining speed on lumber axes or excavators. It's not the end of the world if you want to keep tossing iron at those tools but it's really not worth it IMO.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I'm having trouble finding iron in GT:NH. I've got an ore scanner, but all the colors it uses makes it hard to distinguish iron from other metals.

Eh? Are you looking for regular iron ore or just iron in general?
Iron can be gotten from Yellow/Brown Limonite, Magnetite, Granitic/Basaltic Mineral Sand, Pyrite, and of course Iron ore. Iron ore spawns in Magnetite veins.

To find out what vein any particular ore block spawns in, use NEI. Left click on the block in NEI or press R on it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't go too hard in the paint on oreberries. You can get enough aluminium to stumble through to MV from ore gravel alone.

I have to disagree. Oreberries can be scaled as far as you care to, and can be processed fairly easily by making a huge smeltery.

I like to put my oreberry farm underground, via a ladder in an easy to access place like directly under my house. I use planks to prevent mob spawns and put blocks above the crop sticks to prevent myself from walking onto the oreberries and hurting myself. Redstone torches provide enough light to see without hindering oreberry growth.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
How is it a timesink? You don't have to crossbreed to get them since you get some oreberries from an early quest, and planting oreberries gets the oreberry plant. You just plant the initial 8 or so oreberries, harvest them when they're at 3/4, and plant what you harvested until you've filled out the farm space you've dug out. Keep harvesting at 3/4 and you get a steady amount of aluminum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

FPzero posted:

Speaking of oreberry harvesting, is there any way to guarantee I get a drop of berries when i right click to harvest? I noticed there seems to be a 50% chance or so that the bush actually harvests when right clicking with an empty hand. I might've missed something though.

I'm fairly sure if you place the relevant metal block under so they can grow to 4/4 it drops berries more often. Don't worry about it, you're not doing anything wrong.
The only big screwup you can make with IC2 crops is trying to use the spade to right-click crops to get seed bags. The base chance is much lower if you do that, but it supposedly ignores plant growth stage so you could use it to get seed bags at stage 1 without waiting for it to grow. At max or near max(1 below? I don't know the formulas), you're better off left-clicking.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 8, 2021