Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Has anyone else had any bee/forestry related issues in GTNH 2.3.0?
I've had a bee house going for a long time (several stacks of combs produced), and while there's a ton of flower spread my spectacles aren't showing anything on the leaves of my vanilla trees.
They're forest bees so pollination is 'slower', but I'd think with the amount of flowers they've made there should be something.
Also my grafters aren't losing durability when they break leaves so I'm wondering if there's a config that I need to enable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

McFrugal posted:

Vanilla trees don't pollenate. You have to have forestry versions of those trees, attainable by using... uh, a treealyzer or magnifying glass or anything else that reveals sapling stats.

I'm not sure if butterflies are disabled or not. If they're not, you should probably put your forestry trees indoors so you don't spawn butterflies forever and eventually flood the mob list. Or maybe that's been patched out anyway?
I did wonder about that, but the quest book seems to say otherwise.
In the forestry chapter, quest 'Speak for the trees' it explains that you need the treealyser to convert them to forestry, then it says

quote:

Alternatively, you can just grow a bunch of vanilla trees and surround them by good pollination bees in bee housing.
<snip>
Completing the quests will require scanned trees, but you can progress on breeding while waiting for your GT scanner or Treealyser to be made.

Thanks for the clarification though!

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
The forced progression in twilight forest kinda sucks when your portal dumps you somewhere you're not supposed to be yet.

e: Oh this terrible biome ends a couple of blocks over, phew.

American Dad fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 15, 2023

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
I got gregteched. I was looking for my first mica vein and spent ages with the ore finder wand and got nothing. Decided to just do some visual prospecting on a nearby outcropping that has exposed small ores, eventually find cassiterite ore. The realisation hits me like a ton of bricks that there's another kind, which is the kind in the mica vein, and not just the cassiterite sand which I've been carrying around with me like a jackass.

Anyway with this knowledge I found a vein near my base so yay.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
I'm just scratching the surface of MV now (as in, I've built one or two MV machines), and I've become disgusted by my LV factory hole that's incredibly ugly.
It's also steam powered which I need to ditch. The throughput even on large potin pipes is just not enough anymore so I've set up the production of light fuel, which is powered by the fuel it produces instead of steam.
Rather than re-working what I've got and carving out more space for MV I've decided to move 2000 blocks away to a nice canyon biome and try to make something less ugly. I'm an awful builder so I am relying on it starting off looking nice.
My plan is to dig into the clay in an area that almost completely wraps around a nice little valley which I'm going to wall off and preserve except for some paths here and there or maybe I should have raised walkways instead?
There's plenty of room to grow there, and different tiers can be easily self contained. I'll need to spend some time trying to map out the basic shape first...

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
An enderman stole a dirt block from next to my twilight forest portal, breaking it. Rude.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

SynthesisAlpha posted:

zombie pigman backpack
Good advice, I already did this the first time I made that portal... after I decided to move my base 2000 blocks when I hit MV.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
I haven't played GTNH in about 7 weeks now and I've forgotten what I was going to do. Set up AE I guess? But how was I going to power it? 🤔

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Getting there...
What even is that stuff? I'm just scratching the surface of IV.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
About GTNH fluid movement. You can just shapeless craft a regular cell into a universal cell and it will pick up any amount up to a bucket like the larger cells. I think they don't work for crafting with fluids that way but you don't need fancy volumetric flasks to move small amounts.

E: you can also just shapeless craft them back into regular cells when you're done.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
What kind of stuff can blood magic do for you in GTNH? It's not a mod I've ever really used, and I'm too busy when in game to try to research it there.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Most multiblocks don't care about item/fluid hatch tiers (although there are exceptions). EBF you can use whatever. I'm still using LV input busses on mine while they run at IV.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
I think sticks are also effective against vampires.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
I'm early LuV and I'm in the process of building a new base (again again) because I ran out of space, so I'm finally moving to the void world and embracing the lawn base and building much neater and more expandable.
My previous auto crafting setup was based on HV single blocks, largely phased out by multis and IV assemblers. This time I'm trying to use nothing but multiblocks (hello 4 LPFs) with the possibility of expanding upwards if more parallels are needed. It's not going to be robust enough to last forever but it'll do for a good while.
I haven't yet got trinium or cerium set up so assembler multis are just out of reach, and the arc furnace looks expensive just for annealed copper occasionally but I think I've got everything else (oh and circuit assembler is technically do-able but need more stars).

Old base is powered by a fluid nuke for base load and 4 LCEs running HOG kick in as needed. This isn't going to cut it going forward obviously. I don't want to run nitrobenzene so I've been tinkering with LFTR. I made a decent batch of fuel just to get things going and I'm thinking of setting up an AE subnet with fluid crafting just to handle fuel production with level maintainers. Sharing processes in machines shouldn't be an issue because of how slow the fuel recipe is. Without overclocks fuel 1 takes half an hour to make enough to run the LFTR for 16.6 minutes. From what I understand it doesn't produce enough to constantly run fuel 2 so it'll need fuel 1 occasionally.

Hopefully it'll be a fun puzzle!

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
drat I just realised I can't simply cram a bunch of molds into different busses of one LPF for fluid solidifying like you would an extruder. What a bummer.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Still plodding along with my base relocation. I ended up making both the circuit assembler multi, and the precise assembler which was a bit of a journey. Well worth it though! I had to make to LuV energy hatches to stick on my volcanus to smelt stuff, but now they're on those two multis instead. It was glorious seeing the crafting time for an EV circuit to go from 10 seconds to 1.25 seconds. (Perfect overclock with new voltage teir and base double speed??).
LFTR fuels 1 and 2 are requestable on their subnet, although I don't need fuel 1 anymore I don't think. Surprisingly little input goes into it once it's all set up, but the processing times are insane.
I've also got basic chemicals (and inputs) set up now. I've completely moved away from petrochem which is a nice change from the mess that was my HOG line. Still need to re-do epoxid and PBI.

My current project is moving my now broken ore processing, so that I can get some rhenium? in order to make a sparge tower so I can get LFTR fuel 3 which should be self sufficient at that point. Now that I'm here it's fine but would not recommend starting it. A few more fluid nukes would be much simpler, and then you can switch to fusion.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Yeah that's what I was going to do. You get a tiny amount from one of three different washed ores iirc? 18mb? Otherwise it's ZPM with milling which uh that's too far away.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Moved and automated my assembly line, and got the stuff I needed for the Random Crap (hafnium, rhenium) so now I'm ready to make a sparge tower! Project for tomorrow.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Fluid nuke automation is quite simple if you don't mind it wasting power. I had a super tank on top for cold coolant (2000 buckets buffered), one for hot coolant before the LHE, and a tank for distilled water feeding the LHE.

Fluid detector cover on the cold coolant tank controls the nuke. Not enough cold coolant and it won't run, so it won't explode.

Fluid detector cover on the distilled water tank controls the LHE. Not enough water it will turn off, so it won't explode.

The tank for the hot coolant allows them to decouple. If the LHE turns off the nuke can happily keep running as long as the coolant buffer lasts, then it'll turn itself off whenever it needs to, and won't explode because it has somewhere to put the hot coolant.

If something needs maintenance you'll be slowly losing distilled water so I had another fluid detector cover on the water tank that would allow externally supplied distilled water when it was under 3.5k buckets.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Fusion donut up and running! So simple to keep running. I'm currently only making a quarter of the power my LFTR was but I could just add more turbines to outdo it. I've torn up all the LFTR fuel processing but the reactor itself is still sitting there with some fuel in it, ready to help out with any prolonged power spikes.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

JFC do I really need to build a whole separate subnet to make the 10:1 ratio on the Dissolution Tank work, because for some reason I need hafnia instead of hafnium for high heat gratings? This is asinine.
I use fluid detector covers on the hatches and me fluid export busses with redstone cards pointing into them. Works fine for me but you might need to set it a notch lower than the desired target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Yeah you'd need to use energy detector covers on your battery and a latch to turn it on and off to not waste fuel. Or just forget about fuel efficiency because who cares as long as your production can keep up?