Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

dragonshardz posted:

Wait, Java is on 14? The latest version I can see for download, that isn't the JDK, is 8 (aka 1.8u271).
They changed how Java is distributed after 8. There's no more generic JRE package since apps are now supposed to bundle their own runtime pieces, so if you want the same kind of generic for-whatever Java environment as before, you do have to get the JDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm also holding out for logistics pipes potentially being added. I would totally do LP over AE2 just for style purposes.
Appropriately enough, in the recent README changes:

They've done an informal 2.1.0.3 release, so hopefully an official update isn't too far off.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

McFrugal posted:

It's in the full log.
https://gitlab.com/modding-legacy/supporters/-/raw/master/step.json
That's the json file it's trying to parse right before the error.

Considering it's making me sign in before viewing the file, I have to wonder if the launcher can't actually see it properly and it's being given an http error instead which it then tries to parse as a json file?
That one generates a warning, but I'm not sure it's the one that's actually causing the error and startup failure.

The stack trace of the one that generates the ERROR at 16:37:22 looks like fairly generic Minecraft code rather than a mod. It might be something like 'usercache.json' in the server directory that's corrupt?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

TheJadedOne posted:

I've had a lax couple of days just bulk making supplies and now I am starting in omnifactory MV where I am starting to deal more with fluids. Getting to making chlorine, polyethylene, so also storing oxygen etc. In my past games where I used AE2 just for items I would use a storage bus on a drawer controller so my raw materials didn't take up space in my system. I've never used it for fluids. What is the best way to deal with fluids that I can keep in mind for the long term? My first thought are quantum tanks for each with a fluid storage bus on it that I could then use AE2 fluid output buses to put them where I want them. It seems like things are gonna get HUGE in the end so I am looking for the last laggy way of doing it.
Disclaimer: I'm still only in HV in Omnifactory, approaching EV, so I don't yet know how crazy things get in the late-late-game. I'm also playing on a server and tend to leave things running all day long so I'm not too fussed about the speed of things. But so far, I've been finding AE2 fluid cells sufficient for what I need and anticipate. A 4k fluid cell can still hold around 32,000 buckets, half the amount of the basic quantum tank for only four T1 circuits instead of eight T2 circuits.

I always partition the cells so that there's nowhere for overflow to go and mess things up. But I don't do the strict one-fluid-per-cell that the guide recommends either; I'll keep related fluids together on the same cell, like phenol, bisphenol A, acetone, and the epoxy resin they produce. Even fluids that are only briefly passing through the system need to go somewhere, but don't really need their own dedicated cell.

Production is done in independent 'workstations' that only handle one or two stages of processing at a time (usually one but if it's an intermediate product with absolutely no other use then it can go directly into a second stage) and then output back into the AE2 system. Level emitters stop the machines if a certain amount of excess builds up in the system, to avoid filling cells with the intermediate products.

I'm hoping this should be scalable since I can always add more copies of workstations and upgrade to faster machines without interfering with anything else. The one thing I'm kind of worried about is lag though, since that's a lot of fluid export buses right now. I really should be replacing them with fluid interfaces since they're supposed to be a lot less laggy, but that's a lot of conduit to redo...

TheJadedOne posted:

second question: my understanding of cabling is if you have a CEF with 16 batteries and you want 16 machines plugged into it all the cable connecting the machines has to be 16x right?
For the first few tiers of cables, yes, since the multiplier on the cable is the same as the max amperage it can carry. Later on there'll be cable types that can carry more amps per multiplier, so you might only need 4x cable to carry the 16 amps to supply 16 machines (if they're machines that only accept 1 amp).

Also note that flux capacitors in CEFs do not count the same way as actual GT batteries for controlling output amperage; a 16x CEF with 8 flux capacitors in it will still potentially output 16 amps, not just 8. Burned a few handfuls of expensive cables before figuring that one out...

Once I got to the point where a lot of production was automated though, I've been tending to slap down more 4x CEFs and doing smaller 4x cable runs rather than long runs of 16x cable.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
I've been mixing approaches. I have one main RF power bus running around most places hooking up to local CEFs for small clusters of lower-drain machines, but I also have separate circuits with their own dedicated dynamos for particular high-drain subsystems, like the DML simulators, the floor of blast furnaces, and the tungstate processing section.

I need to do some rethinking though now that I have easy access to endsteel and lumium conduits, so a single EV machine isn't going to hog the entire RF bus anymore.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Blocking mode on the ME interfaces doesn't work well with the assemblers, unfortunately, as explained in this comment.

You might be able to do some kind of intermediate buffering between the interface and assembler where blocking mode will work properly with chests or such, but I just gave up on trying to share them and made separate assemblers for each tier of circuit. I did have the SMD components sharing an assembler for a long time, but just recently had to separate them out as they were starting to jam up as well, but that didn't start happening until around LuV-level and very large batches of requests for me.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I was specifically looking for advanced DML machines that I should keep in my mind.

I have basic perpetual generation of ender pearls and diamonds for polymers and energy and was going to start optimizing, but I have to ensure the alloy smelter doesn't fill both slots with only one of the ingredients.
A limited item filter is what worked for me for exactly that purpose, set up like this on the input to the alloy smelter:

(The storage drawers aren't essential, I just liked having spots where I could grab some of the surplus.)

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I see I can make some of the chemicals from wood, and I have a pyrolyse oven doing nothing right now, so I was thinking it was time to set up a tree farm (also, sometimes I just need some planks and sticks) to produce coke and some chemical byproducts. I think there's a path to methanol from that too. Is that a decent direction or should I get to methanol through biomass elsewhere?
You can make a lot of useful stuff from charcoal byproducts from the pyrolyse oven, including that methanol, but that'll also take something like four distillation towers if you want to fully automate it. For a while I just used a few distilleries to extract the specific chemicals I wanted from the charcoal byproducts (mainly for phenol and acetone, I think) even though that's pretty inefficient, until I had the resources for the distillation towers.

I made a bunch of methanol from fermented biomass, but in hindsight that probably wasn't very efficient, and most of its products can be made other ways. Biomass is just easy to get going early with the excess from something like sugar cane farming.

quote:

Will I be using acetic acid soon for anything? Vinegar isn't even popping up in anything yet but it's a simple next step and I'm wondering if I should ignore it or prepare for it.

Can I confirm that I need to anticipate needing gelid cryotheum? I can start making it but I don't know what for.
Both of these will primarily be for making draconium ingots, which you don't need to worry about until you've got naquadah access.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Huh so you keep using phenol? I was making circuit boards with that for awhile but I dropped it when I went up a circuit tier.
I think I'm still using it for the multi-layer fiber circuit boards via the bisphenol A route. There's an alternate route for that with naphtha, but I crack and distill all my naphtha instead. I'm tempted to go back and rework some of those older processes, but...lazy...

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Nice!

I feel like I'm finally getting close to the tank; I've got the neutronium and the omnium, am currently working on getting the rest of the necessary chaos shards, and then whatever other miscellaneous little bits are still needed.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
And now I've finally got my creative tank...

...except I didn't get quest credit for it, because like a dingus I rushed through the last few steps and forgot to take one of the neutronium solar panels out of AE storage and actually hold it before building the T10 miner. I'm tempted to cheat one in temporarily, but eh, just creating another one will be easier now anyway.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In Omnifactory, what is the efficient path for turning rutile ore into titanium? In particular, I'm trying to figure out if I should wash the crushed ore instead of spinning it through the thermal centrifuge. I think one gives me a 14% chance of a rutile dust while the other gives me 3 small dusts guaranteed. I think the 3 small dusts is statistically going to be better; it's like having a 33% chance instead, but I wanted to know if there's something else to consider.
The higher-power macerators increase the chance of getting the extra ore dust, up to 100% with an IV or higher macerator, so in the long run you're far better off washing it and grinding it again.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What are sustainable sources for nickel and gallium in Omnifactory?

Nickel you can get from slimes in DML, which can create nickel coins that can be melted down (also works for platinum, when you need more later on). Kind of annoying and slow, but it's an infinite source. I don't recall an infinite source of gallium, but I think I got enough as byproduct or from plain old mining anyway.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Rocket fuel is one of the few things I *didn't* have set up as a bunch of individual steps feeding back into the ME network since so much of it is intermediate products not used for anything else. My setup was like this:

Partially disassembled since I was switching stuff over to creative tanks, but all the machines are still here.

Back row, flowing right-to-left: Fluid interface serving mercury, chlorine, ammonia, methanol, and oxygen; fluid interface for returning stuff back into the ME system; reactor making hypochlorous acid; reactor making chloramine; reactor making 1,1-dimethylhydrazine; reactor making rocket fuel.
Front row, right-to-left: reactor making dimethylamine and feeding into the 1,1-dimeth reactor; reactor making dinitrogen tetroxide and feeding into the rocket fuel reactor.

Piping was kind of a pain, though. You can't just use the auto-eject for getting the chloramine into the next reactor, since it ejects the water byproduct instead, so that had to be piped by conduits instead. Needed a bunch of fluid filters and some different channels to ensure everything went where it was supposed to, and I also sometimes got tripped up by some kind of bug where fluid filters seemed to stop working until breaking and replacing the conduit.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Captain Invictus posted:

I have given up trying to recover my world. now I just want to transfer over my inventory to a new world. but googling character transfer, I'm led to use NBTExplorer to do such file transfers, and so I try to open my lost world's level.dat file to get the inventory from it.

why. why is even the file reader maxing out the memory usage from this damned world.
Seems possible that the level.dat file is just plain corrupted in some way. If there's a 'level.dat_old' file in the same directory, you could try copying that over level.dat (make a backup of the original first) and see if you can load that instead.

If that doesn't work, you could try creating a new world (ideally with the same seed to avoid future chunk boundaries) and copying its level.dat into your current world. That would reset everything about your character, but if you're willing to live with that, it might get the rest of the world back...

If you'd like, you can shoot me a copy of the bad level.dat file and I can try and see if there's anything wrong with the NBT structure.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Hmm, the NBT structure isn't corrupt, and it does eventually load in NBTExplorer, but dang, that's the biggest level.dat file I've ever seen. It looks like there's a whole bunch of redundant data under the worldgen nodes; the biome list for the overworld contains over 53,000 entries even though there are only 253 actual unique biomes, and almost all of them are duplicate copies. Then there are millions of 'surface rule' tags defined just for the Nether, and this actually takes up most of the space in level.dat, which seems...odd.

I suspect there's some kid of bug in the worldgen mods (most likely TerraBlender and/or OTBYG) that's caused this redundant crap to accumulate in your level.dat over time, which is why it's seemed like it's getting slower and slower the more you played. Unfortunately you're on 1.18.1 and all the recent fixes to those mods are for newer versions.

Here's an edit of that level.dat that removes the junk data that you can try with the original world. Unfortunately it's not easy to separate the legit original data from the redundant junk, and I don't know if it's safe to just remove the biome list or not (maybe it'll get regenerated?), so this includes two versions. The one in the '01' directory removes both kinds, so try it first and if that doesn't work, the one in the '02' directory keeps the biome list and just removes the surface rules.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/nogm2qbx6zxs7kr/Gargamel_maybe_fixed_level.dat.zip/file

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Holyshoot posted:

Is upgrading a server version of modded minecraft pretty straight forward? Just copy paste everything except your world?
I basically treat server updates like a completely new install to a new directory and then just copy over the world and any customized config file or admin differences (whitelist, etc.) from the old install directory. Then, even if things get completely screwed up with the new version for some reason, I still have the old version I could fall back to.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Captain Invictus posted:

what's the mod that lets you place a block that makes specific chunks within a certain radius of it always active no matter how far you are from them? I had it in a previous install but forget what it is. I remember it being an enchant table-looking block with a little floating teal diamond on it, and you could toggle being able to see how far the radius of it was
That particular one sounds like ChickenChunks, which looks like it's still being maintained, though I don't think I've seen it included in many packs recently.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/chicken-chunks-1-8

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

MonkeyforaHead posted:

None of the other modpacks using REI have broken, and reinstalling does nothing to fix this one. Java sure does come up with novel ways of breaking.
This might be a little irrational, but even though I have a ton of modpacks archived in MultiMC, I still get a little nervous when I go back and launch one for the first time in a long while, worried that some change in Java, or MultiMC, or some fault in a mod (version update checkers that can no longer contact their sites are often trouble) will trigger some kind of cascading failure that results in messed up config files and a corrupt world. The whole system has often felt rather fragile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Ariong posted:

I'm not seeing it. It seems like there's nothing with the word drain anywhere in here, although it is very possible I am simply using the search tool wrong.

Wrong chunk, I think, you probably want the chunk at "[31,0] in world at (-1,0)" (it just coincidentally happens to also be in the -1,0 region file).