Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You don't need mods to build a giant Minecraft penis, but a builder's wand would definitely help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Then add Optifine to help you get some FPS when you increase your render distance to see the whole thing! Ok, fine, maybe you do need mods to maximize your Minecraft dong project.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm quite enjoying Sky Bees now that I'm over the initial sieving hump. gently caress the Nether, though. Has to build out like 500 blocks to gently caress with a fortress that's lousy with skeletons that gang-murder you five at a time. Just got into steel and Immersive Engineering.

I also really like Powah as an energy mod. I miss my Ender IO conduits, but Cyclic cables and Powah's setup are pretty nice.

My only major complaint is the Resource Bees Centrifuge refuses to stay attached to a Cyclic cable. Every time it starts a new comb, it breaks all connections. That and you can't just bucket poo poo into the Cyclic solidification chamber and I can't figure out how to extract from Mekanism fluid tanks.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 8, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The friend I was playing Sky Bees with wanted to try a new pack. I was thinking Valhelsia 3, but the world isn't really that exciting, I was expecting more structures. I'm wondering if going back to Rougelike Adventures and Dungeons wouldn't be the right call. Is there anything similar for 1.16.5? Life in the Village 2 might be fun, I've never used Minecolonies, but I was hoping for more tech and magic.

I'd do another skyblock, but we just did Sky Bees and I can't imagine Skyfactory going much differently. Though, not having to gently caress with bees nigh-constantly sounds nice.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 29, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone have any favorite Thaumcraft 6 spells? I still need to get Curse, but I'm curious for some ideas. Been playing a ton of Roguelike Adventures and Dungeons and really been enjoying endgame TC.

Especially the Ẃ̴͇̜̓͆̀Ạ̧̧̛̭͘R̵͈̮̻̣͑ͯ̈́ͯ̏̀̕P̵̡̤̬ͧ̃͜͝͝

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 10, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Captain Monkey posted:

What modpack are you using? I’ve been trying to scratch my thaumcraft itch and I haven’t played through 6 yet.

We're playing Roguelike Adventures and Dungeons. I've almost 100%ed the book, currently working on the super-late Impetus tech from Thaumic Augmentation. I've done so much stuff in TC that I've never tried before.

I've leaned incredibly heavy into Thaumcraft, with Electroblob's for more supporting buffs that TC doesn't really offer. I've got golems (my first time getting them to do gently caress-all of use) handling my Mystical Agriculture crops, incredibly powerful armor, dragonbone weapons, and have completed my first Eldritch Citadel and stripped it for parts for my tower. The endgame of Thaumic Augmentation is kind of annoying (the enemies are super aggressive and the warp builds up), but the gear looks awesome and offers a lot of great additions and fun tools overall. I really like Impetus, it's a cool throwback to the old Aura system.

Though, I am fully sick of Crimson Cult ambushes and other irritating warp effects.

Basically, I'm focusing on magic and introducing mods and gear in my tower, they're learning modded MC (one's done Sky Bees with one, one's pretty new) and exploring. I'll probably be teaching TC and probably Embers, which I'll move onto once I successfully set up Impetus generation and storage. Next up is probably going into a

However, we've been having a lot of fun. First up is my increasingly "is, uh, that guy alright?" wizard tower, then the rest of our little starter town and increasingly-populated village.

My tower and house.

My friend's houses and other buildings around town:

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 14, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Sure, this looks safe. Don't have rift stabilization started yet, but polluting the gently caress out of a Dimensional Doors block seems fine.

Edit: God drat, Thaumic Augmentation lets you make some cool-looking poo poo.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 14, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Which is a shame, because Thaumic Augmentation is absolutely great. All the Emptiness stuff is cool, all the Eldritch blocks and structures are gorgeous and fun to mess with, the enemies are obnoxious, and the Impetus magic is really enjoyable to tinker with. Hopefully a lot of that gets included and expanded.

I just started Embers on my RAD server, tarted up a machine tower from Prefab and got all my machines set up. Updated my cosmetics to the Ashen stuff from my void mage gear for the interim. Stupid Optifine breaking Quark's rune shimmers really killed the vibe on my Void Thaumaturge set.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Just started playing Mc again, my wife and I are playing some lightly modded Mc but it's making me wish for a bigger experience. I remember liking thaumcraft a ton but see it's not been updated in years... And I want to be in a more recent version of minecraft to see all the new stuff. So I guess I'm asking for a modpack that's on a fairly recent version and is magic and exploration focused. Maybe a tech mod in there too but I don't want to be putting together massive crucibles.

It's not new (it's 1.12.2), but Roguelike Adventures and Dungeons is heavy into gear and magic mods. The core of it's Thaumcraft+Thaumic Augmentation, Embers, and Electroblob's Wizardry. It has a lot of different dimensions and gear options.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is there an easy way to manage Hexxit 2 in GD Launcher? I'd like to fire it up and maybe set up a server.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Holy poo poo the dragon forge from Ice and Fire is a loving lag factory. On the other hand, dragonsteel looks loving amazing, so it's impossible to say if it's good or bad.

Also we just loving gave up on using legit Eye of Dragons to find them, they explode like 75% of the time.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 26, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Jesus, I'm never using Colossal Chests again. I was getting 2-10 seconds of lag every time my Simple Storage system did ANYTHING in my RAD world. I added Refined Storage and made the swap and god drat it's like night and day. Shame to lose the interdimensional access (the 1.12.2 version doesn't have it in), but oh well.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Are there any omni factory type modpacks but for magic? Like with a quest book to provide some goals.

I'd say anything with Thaumcraft and Thaumic Augmentation is already halfwey there. That book is boss. I just did the whole thing in Roguelike Adventures and Dungeons and I was quite impressed the whole way through with everything except the annoying Warp effects.

Sky Bees is very reliant on Botania, Blood Magic, and Astral Sorcery with modified recipes, if that's more your speed, too. I quite liked it, but I got bored around the "use bees to make singularities to use in Extreme Crafting" stage because gently caress that entire enterprise.

Heavens of Sorcery is theoretically what you're after, but the grind is miserable. It leans really heavily on Wizardry, too, which is just ugghhh. If you think Thaumcraft focuses are ineffectual, Wizardry can make you change your mind.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 5, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just started up Create: Above and Beyond and I'm kind of having mixed feelings about it. I'm quite enjoying learning Create, but I can't help but feel like this is the fuckin' hard way. There's absolutely zero guidance on how a lot of builds should kinda look. I've made some absolutely atrocious things, but I love them anyway. I've managed automatic non-standard cobble gen, a flint/iron generator, and a rubber generator so far. Belts and shafts and cogs loving everywhere.

I'm sure I'll get more efficient as I go, but the room-filling nightmares straight out of the Church of the Broken God are definitely enjoyable to make. But there's nothing quite like going piece by piece and watching that first iron nugget go into a chest, like I just managed. Now I just have to check that chest every so often.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Thanks for all the tips for Create! We finished Chapter 1 and I'm pretty happy with the pack so far. We have a mountain base, a bunch of water wheels and windmills powering things. The major weak link in the pack seems to be storage organization. I know Pretty Pipes is in there, but ughhh. We just set up a slime and skyslime farm and I have Hellbark lava-gen set up. I'll try to get some pictures. We'll have to start prettying it up, because a lot is a loving mess of its old or just outside.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So here's our Create:AB base! I'm pretty happy with it.

I'll start with a memorial to our godawful early iron-gen. This is getting torn out and replaced with a better, faster design soon.

The giant kinetic mechanisms gen. Reasonably quick, but won't be able to keep up without an upgrade or 5.

My room.

Our monster manual farm for stuff we don't need constant income for.

It's counterpart, the autofarm.

The new flint packing system and part of the manual processing system. Or it would be the flint packing system, if the stampyboy didn't just stop working constantly. Just have to feed it flint from the cobblegen.

Our storage wall.

The blasting/smoking area.

The tree farm.

My soon-to-be-expanded lava-gen. This might just be replicated where I need lava, instead.

My pure quartz machine. I went with nether quartz, but it would work for certus, too.

The iron-gen for brass-tier mechanisms:

Next up is skystone and charged certus and we can finally start integrating for brass-tier mechanisms.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 23, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, so I have up through chapter 2A cleared. However, I'm having an issue with getting a reasonable amount of charged quartz. I thought it was Pretty Pipes, but I think it's it's just AE2 Chargers loving suck. They are really inconsistent about how they draw and hold power. Any tips for charging quartz faster or more efficiently?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, so what the gently caress is up with alchemy in Create: Above and Beyond? The documentation for Thermal Foundations in 1.16 is nonexistent and it seems like you do a lot of this with those machines. I kinda wanted to mess with the alchemy thing it lets you do, but what the gently caress is an alchemical laser?

Edit: Of course, asking about it lets me immediately find it in JEI. Still pretty bonkers, though.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 27, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You can also use Bucketing Tinker's tools. Having a shovel-axe-bucket with a 4k tank is sick as hell.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
If you're playing Create: Above and Beyond, don't sleep on starting Occultism. It's a really neat mod and offers a options for keeping stuff stocked without a ton of belts or pretty pipes. I'm in tier two (djinni summoning) and just got a void miner.

Most of what I've done so far is use Foliot (the tier 1 spirit) transporters to either keep stuff like stirling dynamos or furnace engines stocked with coal coke or help out with automating invar a bit. Work well with storage drawers and Create depots and other item storages. THe mod even includes a pretty efficient dimensional storage that I think you can eventually hook into a ME system. Looks like it's 1 slot per item as long the metadata is identical, so books the like stack just fine. Seems like it'll be really useful for the radiant-tier automation.

The book is also quite good, but there's entirely too many pentacles to do binding rituals to make all the stuff with to keep track of.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Working our way through chapter 3. I've discovered the automation benefits of dimensional storage. Massively simplifies moving stuff from A to B.

This is my new painball processing facility. Paintballs come in via portal and chromatic blend leaves via another portal. I'll fix the floor later. I'm using a drawer controller, but I'm thinking I may need to do one portal/chute combo per drawer, instead, since they drop one at a time.

Additionally, dimenstional mining is hilarious. I was going to make some dumb, degenerate iron crushing/re-foundry-ing system to get infinite nickel, but nah, djinn. Threw our first Eternal Stella on a mining djinni and I'm filling up a cobalt barrel with ore.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 3, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I forgot how much I hated getting presses in Applied Energistics. :fuckoff: C:AB even offers the freebie skystone chests, but they're all identical as far as I can tell. I have like 20 calc and eng presses, but zero silicon presses.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Looks like it's a server update time for me.

quote:

-AE2 presses can now be multiplied/exchanged through the use of invar

That said, they did 'slightly nerf' my beloved dimensional mineshaft by removing the ability to make the lamps unbreakable. Joke's on them, I already have one. Though, I can't seem to find where in the config the eternal stella's compatibility list lives.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 3, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ptroll posted:

Has anyone worked out a good setup for the alchemical laser in Create: Above and Beyond?
I have a "working" one but it's not perfect (It gets jammed with reagents regularly and I have to go and clean it out). I don't know much about how to actually get things done when a minecart is involved and the loader/unloader is not as well suited to the job as I'd like.

I'd be interested in that, too. I've just been doing it by hand, but I'm dreading working my way up to the chaos catalyst.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ptroll posted:

You're definitely meant to build up to the chaos catalyst by hand (you can just put down a single bit of track and a lever on the laser and not have it actually move on the track), but using it in automation is odd.
If you can stomach doing the research it's potentially very worth it-- my recipe for silicon wound up being just andesite, which is trivial to generate.

I have Volatile, Metallurgic, and Crystalline done. We lucked into a crystalline from a randonium or something, but that doesn't really give us any info.

Finished the research, looks like my silicon is nether wart, which is pretty trivial. Blazing turns into silver, but we have tons of coins, so I'm less excited about that.

Also, do Neptune's bounties just not spawn in C:AB? I know the whole thing around luck is hosed for them being junk or whatever, but what the hell, I've gotten ZERO.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 4, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I'm having no luck getting a natural tall one. I made a dirt tower and grew single log trees one under the other and that seems to be valid for the extractor so I guess that's the workaround.

Yeah, just put down a hellbark log, a dirt, then a sapling. Bonemeal the sapling to get the 1-tall one, then replace the dirt with another log. It can only tell if leaves are placed naturally, doesn't really care about logs.

Also, it's AWFUL lava-gen at 25mb/cycle at best, but it's fine if you get like 5 and put it in a tank to feed a smeltery or whatever. I don't think lava's a worthwhile power source in C:AB. Treefarm into charcoal is best of breed until you get to Chapter 3, and then just turn it into coke, which is like 20x as good.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 6, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Yeah this was my thinking as well, I just want to be able to grab some lava from there every once in a while instead of going all the way down a mine shaft or into the nether just for a couple buckets.

It's perfect for that, yeah. I think Arboreal Extractors work best when it's 1 per tree, too. Not that copper machines are all that expensive.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The new 1.2 version of the mod pack removes the ability to Stella lamps, FYI. I don't even know where in the configs that is.

It also fixes the stupid issue with AE2 presses. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Well that really sucks. I wanted to test out the mineshaft so I cheated in the materials because I spent an hour in the nether with the otherworld goggles and the crystal pick looking for Iesenium or whatever it's called and came up totally empty. Indestructible things and things that generate resources are my favorite.

Did you make a divining rod? Between that and a Eff IV Flux Bore, wasn't too awful to get enough. No worse than scrap hunting.

Also, flux bores are awesome. They pretty commonly get Silk Touch from enchanting, can take the Holding enchantment, and can mine 9x9 squares with 4 radial upgrades. Flux saws, by comparison are strictly inferior to lumber axes. I'm sure you can expand a hammer to do the same work, but flux is way easier to deal with in large quantities (you can hold 9M RF in a Holding IV one with the 6x storage upgrade) than repair materials.

If you're running your own server, I'd just cheat in an Indestructible book and creative-enchant it.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 8, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've had to cheat in almost every use of Indestructible I've done so far. It doesn't take damage or enchantments into account. Finicky as hell.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Buddycards is kind of a fun mod, but Perfect Buddysteel is hilariously expensive for how non-competitive with Netherite it is. Yeah, just wander around looking for ender kids to trade with and they want specific grade cards for gear that tops out around 9 armor/2 toughness. Like, the same amount of effort would give you easily 5-10 debris.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

I tried a bunch of stuff out in creative to see if it would be worth pursuing and I agree the armor is worthless especially for the effort cost. It's frustrating enough that the normal buddysteel costs a block of iron per bar and isn't even as good as iron gear until you've collected a decent amount of cards. Tested out the card grading and it took me over 500 tries to get one S rank card even with the grading bonus, also definitely not worth the effort. The only worthwhile part of the mod is the medals which are useful for their buffs, but the nether medal is broken though and doesn't give the strength and speed bonus when enchanted.

There doesn't seem to be a necessity for keeping the cards either if you don't care for having the collections, once you have one it counts towards set completion, so you can shred everything and try to make some of the other sets.

I like the idea of a trading card mod though.

The nether medal gives you Fire Resistance and you get the other two when you're on fire, according to the book, I think?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think if you have enough super glue and time you can literally put your base on a railcart system with Create?

Create: Above and Beyond is a colossal modpack, though. Really wild how many automation setups you have to come up with and then execute and tune.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Been playing some Vintage Story and loving hell, this is brutal. I don't mind the finicky crafting, but the loving drifters are impossible to deal with. Even at 0.3 enemy strength they just murder you.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hi, excuse me All The Magic: Spellbound, but what the gently caress

This is one of the nine insane things you need to make a ProjectE Philosophers Stone. "Gated" is certainly a euphemism for it.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 31, 2022

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

McFrugal posted:

I can't tell what those blocks are.

They're blocks of allthemodium alloys, a bunch of other end-game magic stuff, and a star made of 55 blocks of concrete.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, I have to take back my initial impression of All The Magic: Spellbound. It's really cool getting to gently caress with all these mods. Not in love with some of the endgame stuff still, but we'll see how it goes.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:
This seems balanced to me

It's pretty fun so far. Though, I will admit, it's very "are a bad enough dude to hit yourself in the dick with a hammer" sometime. We're at the end of Astral Sorcery, ElementalCraft, Psi, Occultism, and Mana and Alchemy. I kinda gave up on the to-do list after the dozenth sign.

Mana and Alchemy is really cool, one of my new favorites once I got the hang of it. I can't get the ritual pouch to work, which has been a little annoying, but the overall vibe is really enjoyable. It's a vert interesting take on the kind of arcanist magic system Wizardry does. The spells are pretty solid, have fun effects, and the mobs and materials are cool. Blows Wizardry out of the water, more spell options, they actually do things you want them to do, and they look really neat.

Also mixing and matching cosmetics is pretty cool. The hat is a set of spinning runes around my head from M&A's armor. It's an All the Mods pack, so we're in that OP stuff, but cosmetics are always fun.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 22, 2022

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm having a heck of a time with Horologium crafting in Astral Sorcery. I have the constellation in the sky, if the attunement altar is to be believed, I have plenty of starlight, but stuff just won't craft. I was trying to do the Mantle of Stars and one of the ATM star items and neither get to the part where you put items on relays. Really drat annoying.

Of course, now that I've complained, the next night (without the constellation in the sky) the Mantle attunement works. Probably something to do with the custom recipe, then, I guess.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'l looking at the custom Kubejs recipe and it's got I'm trying to figure out how long this is supposed to take. It says 800, which I assume is ticks. I've sat for minutes with this, so it's clearly something up.

I'm just gonna cheat it in and dump the components, this is dumb.