Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Khanstant posted:

is there a nude mod with full penne yet or is the modding scene dead?

pams harvestcraft might have penne. cant help with the nude stuff though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Also start using forestry worktables asap!! you won't have to memorize where the parts of a piston or motor go, and it will use whatever tools are available (most of the time)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Actually the devs changed things around so you don't use the avaritia crafting table to build rockets- now you use the nasa workbench, which, among a bunch of other machinery/circuits, requires 6 nether star plates! much easier but you'll still probably prefer going with thaumcraft for the stars.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

"Nether star plates." What did I get myself into?

At what tier in GT:NH could I use a hobbyist steam engine? It looks like tin cables won't connect to it and somebody in Discord confirmed it's a no-go there. I'm wonder if this one I found in a village is something I can do this-or-that particular thing to incorporate into my LV power generation.
Nether stars are just treated as a kind of “ingot” or crystal in the same class as stuff like diamonds, lapis, all the gt gems, Thaumcraft shards... all of these things can be compressed into blocks then cut into plates. Or pulverized into powder, and the powders can be autoclaved back into crystals.

Those steam engines consume steam, not produce it. They turn steam into rf, which I never really saw a good use for

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

That's pretty funny- I actually did the exact same thing this morning. get hosed, you worthless mechanic

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Patware posted:

Got bored and decided to waste some materials making my Pam's Traps hopper into tin pipes and into a chest and...

...is there a Steam Age way to make the hoppers not take out the bait

Those things are annoying the hell out of me. I can't figure out a single way to place bait into that block. also, the only way i'm seeing to pull things out of it without also pulling from the input is with something with a blacklist filter, like enderio conduits or the gregtech item filter blocks with a conveyor cover. i was going to automate them but i'm at a loss. if anyone else has i'd love to hear it.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the watering can grows them super fast if you weren't already aware! it's a little tedious for getting lots of different crafts consecutively, but it gets the job done.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Threw in my vote for disabling it, seeing as I already disabled it locally due to the latest patch. i'm a little annoyed the conversation seems to be entirely centered around servers with no regard to how the changes affect SP worlds. a mechanic invented for your server performance shouldn't be punishing my single player world's infrastructure.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm not sure that's a very good idea unless it's very ad hoc and easy to set up. At the beginning of HV, you still have some big recipe upgrades ahead of you (cleanroom circuits in the ev circuit assembler for starters), and you probably don't have AE2 yet. AE2, while incredibly expensive at the start in terms of materials and power (at least if you want reasonable autocrafting), is a big enough boost to ease of use that you'll save time just crafting a stack here and there and waiting for your infrastructure to get better.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Yeah polyethylene really demands that you make a bunch of machines just to make it. Though you can siphon off some of the products at some points, like divert some ethylene to a tank for use making other chemicals.
There's three production methods for polyethylene:
1, oil -> sulfuric light fuel (via distillery) -> light fuel (chemical reactor, using hydrogen) -> severely steam cracked light fuel (chemical reactor again, using steam, will need a fluid canner to put either steam or light fuel into a can for the recipe) -> Ethylene (distillery) -> Polyethylene (chemical reactor, using oxygen or compressed air)
2, plants -> yellowish biomass (brewing machine using water) -> ethanol (distillery) -> ethylene (dehydrator) -> polyethylene (chem reactor) Please don't ask me why there's two biomass fluids that share the same name but do different things.
3, same as 2 but you use a chemical reactor instead of a dehydrator, inputting sulfuric acid but requiring less eu.
Easiest way to make sulfuric acid is by combining sulfur and oxygen to make sulfur dioxide, then again to make sulfur trioxide, and then mixing it with water to make the acid. It's not the worst thing but I don't like the oxygen requirement. I wound up using method 1 because I didn't know at the time that there were two different biomass types and was looking at the other type which is much worse for ethanol production so I thought it wasn't very viable before HV. You can get a lot of oil pretty easily... I'm not sure how easy it is to get a comparable supply of plants. I think later on you're processing oil via a distillation tower and can use the less valuable results to produce ethylene so method 1 might be advantageous in the long run.
Seems like a lot of things use oxygen, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a steady supply of it. Most people grow sugar beets (an IC2 crop) to make sugar to process for oxygen.

I find 1 to actually be pretty easy. the LV machines aren't that hard to build, and I already had a line of lv machines making light + heavy fuel then mixing them to make diesel. btw, the best rate of return for ethylene is from naphtha rather than light fuel. so instead of siphoning off my main power source i set up a third distillery->chem reactor->chem reactor->distillery->chem reactor. i just route some oil towards it whenever i need polyethylene and let it accrue a few buckets. once i have hv infrastructure i'll be able to just run it full time and let it fully fill the polyethylene holding tank. I'm already doing that for light/heavy fuel, but the whole polyethylene line takes more than 1 amp mv, so i'm leaving it. you just really don't need that much polyethylene at that stage.

all the oil production has the added benefit of supplying near unlimited hydrogen sulfide for making sulfuric acid and sodium persulfate. I automated those, too, which is a big help for circuits down the road.

for whatever reason i've never wanted to mess with biomass and biodiesel.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

if you care about the gas and naphtha at all, the distillation tower is way more than twice as efficient. it's a must-build if you're doing oil chem.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

drat, i better double check my setup! I probably forgot to include oil:distillate in the overall ratio. thanks for pointing it out.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

that's pretty much how it works. for each tier higher, it cuts the time per operation in half while keeping the total energy required equal, doubling the cost per tick, then doubles the cost per tick for no additional speed gain. so lv->mv is 4x. if you do lv->hv, it does those both twice. so it cuts the duration down to (1/2)*(1/2) = 1/4 but multiplies the total cost per tick by 16. to ev would be 1/8 duration for 64x per tick.

for n tiers increase, duration is 1/(2^n) while per tick multiplier is 2^2n

this applies to multiblocks as well, which is important for when you start using higher tier energy hatches, as it'll automatically boost energy tiers completely ruining your efficiency.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Faldoncow posted:

What's the word on using AE in GTNH as I enter EV tier? Any tips?

i'd rush the first bit of it asap. making the screens and a set of drives so you can craft from a terminal is a huge step up and isn't bad power-wise. the power crunch comes when you try to use it for autocrafting. definitely be slow and careful adding new autocrafting systems because if you add too much too quickly you can end up with pretty absurd power costs. one thing that's neat is you can have a bunch of patterns, but route all the materials for "autocrafting" it to a chest or something so you can get precise measures of what's needed for a given set of crafts. that doesn't cost much power but can take the calculating out of batch crafting.

it also makes handling fluids much easier, so i'd recommend pushing some fluid storage/terminal too. given the large volume of lots of fluids, you're better off sticking a storage bus on a super tank than trying to fit everything in fluid drives.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

please dont

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oh yes, it is Old Mod Time

Old setup on the right, new setup on the left

you vs. the farm she told you not to worry about

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

what do you need so many feathers for? by HV you can make a powered spawner from enderio. before tbhen i can't imagine you'd need so many you'd have to automate it.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

gregtech new horizons :unsmigghh:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

if you're willing to spend the reseources, a pyrolyse oven will get you near infinite charcoal

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

BlondRobin posted:

Yeah, it’s a good idea, it just joins everything else in the “Ugh, gotta get around to building a setup for that” since I also plan on feeding it nitrogen, so I need a nitrogen setup (which I need anyway, admittedly) so I get the byproducts which are an easy way to get into epoxy and cetane chemicals. It’s more work than just feeding wood into an infernal furnace.

tbh you dont need the nitrogen to get some returns. the whole thing is energy positive converting the liquid byproducts into benzene and burning that. that's what i did until i could get my n2 setup routed into it.

actually i'm not sure it was energy positive before adding n2. it definitely is after, though.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

sorry, when i said byproducts i was shorthanding it for wood tar, forgot that was actually a thing. distilling wood tar and burning the benzene produces net energy for the oven.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

back on my GTNH bullshit again. just cooked my first stack and a half of titanium, getting ready to set up a rudimentary AE system and build my first LCR. three different youtubers (Kharax82, MainlyAndy, and Lashmak) all started new GTNH playthroughs recently with the most recent updates. this modpack feels healthier and more alive than ever, i love it

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

drat, I need to take some screenshots of my absolute MESS of a base.

I think I topped out at like 14 coke ovens- whatever was just enough to stay creosote-neutral on one railcraft 2x2 liquid fueled boiler firebox. I've since moved to EIO spruce farm powered by a single 8v solar. the spotty power gen works fine for this machine as it just needs a little burst to chop the whole tree. got my lumber axe up to reinforced x , so no durability issues. tree farm feeds into a MV pyrolyse oven w/ t2 coils + n2, liquid output is wood tar which gets distilled into benzene and toluene. benzene powers this whole setup, toluene makes tnt. charcoal is sent to 4 compressors to make triple compressed blocks. blocks fed into a big boiler -> steam turbine @ just under 1a hv production. that's my totally passive power gen for basic chem and lv/mv machine lines, passive h2/n2/o2 production, and AE system.

also have oil producing all the way through cetane-boosted diesel for more burst-y power needs (blast furnaces), and rocketry. highly recommend diversifying power production because then you get all the side benefits of the system's byproducts. Like, oil means i have passive (poly)ethylene gen, and the pyrolyse oven means i'll have everything for epoxid ready to go once i build a couple more distillation towers and can move from wood tar to charcoal byproducts. I just have a ton of untapped byproducts from oil and charcoal production, it's killing me to void so many tasty chemicals right now

thank you for coming to my tedx talk.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i feel like parasitic really is a great way to describe how most magic mods feel. if you're playing a quest/objective-based modpack, the tech mods tend to all be modified to feed into one another, but it's like as soon as you jump into the magic mods, everything's its own separate system and each mod has you starting from scratch. i think it's mostly on modpack authors to better integrate magic mods into the core progression, but i get why it usually doesn't happen. because those mods usually have their own internal systems of progress, they don't interlock with your average tech mod very well. it's a lot more work than combining, say, immersive engineering and ic2.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

just updated my boiler multiblock+large turbine setup post moon and realized this setup flows PERFECTLY. triple compressed charcoal takes 10930 seconds to compress, which is the exact default burn time of triple compressed charcoal in that multiblock. it produces 24kL steam/sec, which is the exact intake my brand new normal sized energetic alloy turbine takes. don't need a regulator and can use oversized pipes with no explosion risk

strangely, my turbine's power output seems to alternating between 580 and 590eu/t when i thought it should be 630. halp

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The steam is probably moving sluggishly through that pipe. Try building the turbine such that its steam input hatch directly touches the boiler's output hatch, and the business ends of said hatches are facing each other.

makes sense. we'll see if the missing amp of LV power makes enough difference to go through the hassle

base tour time! realized how easy multimc made uploading screenshots so here you go

my original lv line and handcrafting area. i just plopped my AE panels down right in the middle

oil processing. left is diesel and right is cracking naphtha for ethylene. my solar powered spruce farm in the back

the back of my lv line with automated rubber+cable, and a small ore processing line with my second ebf. the yellow cable coming down from above is my passive power gen. there's also an extractor stuck in there for glowflowers.

my main ebf, mv line, and hv line. can also see my vacuum freezer peeking from behind the ebf

my very neglected thaumcraft corner

where i first put my bed and built a dirt hut. used to have a stack of coke ovens here. now it's just glowflower passive production and my food fields

view from above

spaghetti underground. left to right, this is automated cetane boosting, implosion compressor, cleanroom, auto sulfuric acid, and a combo line that does a few things. originally for persulfate, now the electrolyzer also helps with chlorine from all the excess hcl. handling all the hydrogen sulfide and diluted sulfuric acid is becoming an issue, so some of this may be split off to its own area where i can plan better for my future sulfuric needs

pyrolyse oven with tar being turned into benzene and toluene. this area will be expanded greatly when i get around to building two more distillation towers

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm kind of curious if you figured this one out.

What got my fed up with GT:NH is that no matter what I connected up to the LHE, I could see the output would just fill up to max, vent steam, and then dump a bunch out in one big megapacket. This was despite the size or whatever of piping I had connected to it, and despite the tier of output I actually used. So I would never get a change to use all the steam I'd produce and I had to piss through distilled water to maintain what I had. Even the latest pack had that kind of problem.

Now I'm screwing around in OmniFactory where I don't feel as bad just losing whatever excess since it's far less of a hit to scale around it.

i upgraded my output hatch to mv, and installed a long distance pipeline and i have the same issue. i think my problem is the lack of a regulator because the output hatch doesn't push every tick as far as i can tell. sometimes the input hatch on the turbine has steam in it, which shouldn't happen if it was receiving the right amount per tick. looks like it's time to spend the ev circuits on a regulator. boo hiss

on the plus side i centralized my power mostly. hooked up my steam turbine plus a couple hv diesel generators to a 4-slot ev battery buffer. i now have four full amps of ev burst power available for my whole base, making ebf/vacuum freezer upgrading quite easy. also have an energy sensor on my battery buffer that only turns my diesel generators on when my buffer is low. i'm saving a ton of fuel now that all my ongoing processes only use my passive power

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Regulators don't help you if your output is unsteady. What I'd do is make a super tank or something, then use that to buffer steam. Put the regulator on that. IIRC, all that steam stuff occurs not per tick, but per second, so you'll get the entire output of your boiler or LHE or whatever every second rather than a little every tick.

actually, turns out it was the lack of regulator. the input needs to be fed the exact amount to consume each tick or it voids the excess, causing lower efficiency for the following tick that falls short. my boiler is producing the exact right amount of steam, it's just not moving it every tick. having a slightly oversized output hatch and pipes is enough of a buffer. the long distance fluid pipeline is apparently a no-go for this situation without a buffer between it and the input

McFrugal posted:

The rate of new maintenance problems cropping up is very low, though. Very, very low.

yeah, it's low, but i think it's based on time running, so things like turbines and your cleanroom that run constantly are at more risk and need to be checked regularly

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you throttling the distilled water input? That kind of scares me.

Oh, my system is just a regular pressure boiler and steam turbine. No LHE. I’m only in early IV

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i really appreciate what watching a bunch of GTNH videos has done to my google ad personalization
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIxn-DO2Zeg

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

and by gendustry mcfrugal means binnie's genetics because gendustry was removed a while back.

i will say bees have a big advantage over ic2 crops in that the crops only go up to a certain material tier (like tungsten or so), but there's a bee for basically everything in the game

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Edit: Does anybody know why the AE2 terminal GUI would close if I hit 'T' without focusing on the search bar? It loves to slam me out of the GUI in the middle of typing "steel" or "interface."

Inventory screen: lower left there's an NEI settings button. click inventory, then key mapping. there's a thing mapped to t that searches inventories and it closes AE terminals. just remap it to whatever else that you won't use in AE. dunno how to unmap it fully

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

automation of insertion of objects into my assline was an extremely pleasurable accomplishment

too long for a thread title, that's too bad

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Automated Assline Insertions

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

So I recently switched my GTNH world to be a localhost server rather than an SP world and I'm having a minor issue. If I disconnect from the server with my player instance and go afk for a while, the command prompt goes nonresponsive and I can't log back my world. I can't type in the prompt so I have to manually close the cmd window rather than using the 'stop' command. I'm not sure if this risks world/save corruption.

Is this a known thing or something with an easy fix? I've literally never hosted MP worlds so I have no idea if this is common or how to troubleshoot.

On another note, I've discovered combining fluid p2ps with ender fluid conduits to create an entire fluid i/o network with built in filtering and very low power overhead, this is such a game changer. so so much better than using fluid import/export/storage buses for every fluid port. (thanks to Threefold for this revelation, who is currently doing a GTNH playthrough on YT that's probably the best out there imo)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The Precise Assembler has two modes, and in the mode all that AE2 stuff is for, it is doing normal assembler recipes. There are tens of thousands of assembler recipes, and they all draw from a common ingredient pool. Pipe sorting wouldn't work.

An example: input and output buses use the exact same ingredients to craft, but differ on the control circuit. Circuit 1 makes an input bus, and circuit 2 makes an output bus.

i mean, why don't you just create a redstone control circuit with five bits, enough to send a redstone signal to the pipe hooked up to the appropriate input bus. only activate a given pipe input when the crafting system is sending ingredients which would activate that circuit number's redstone ID

(please don't actually do that. it sounds fun but probably even more tedious than what you set up. i could see it requiring less in terms of AE2 stuff though!)

actually i'm not sure how you'd translate the crafting request into the redstone circuit without just having 25 different interfaces anyway
e- you could include 25 different extra items (not used by any recipe) in each assembler recipe which would get picked up by a set of filters and serve as a set of IDs, activating a corresponding redstone signal and pipe. how's that for overengineered?

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 3, 2022

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

McFrugal is getting tripped up here on when you said crafting all 25 circuits.

This isn’t for crafting circuits, it’s for controlling the crafting of all those annoying assembler recipes that have different control circuit requirements.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

RocketMermaid posted:

Is there anything like FTB: Interactions that doesn't force you to focus so much on combat? I like both E2:E and Nomifactory, but I'm not sure I'm willing to devote thousands of hours to something like GT:NH.

unless you're someone who absolutely needs to complete all challenges to feel like you accomplished something, why don't you just give gtnh a try? you can set a smaller intermediate goal, like get to the moon, or automate your first circuits. honestly i think many people end up playing through multiple times, getting to further tiers each time. you don't need to devote 1000 hours to have fun with gtnh. i've started new worlds like three times and had a blast each time trying different strategies

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

RocketMermaid posted:

I'm going ahead and giving it a shot. :) I'm sad it doesn't seem to be compatible with Chromaticraft though, that's one of my favorites from 1.7.10 in spite of Reika basically going out of their way to make it more needlessly complicated with every update. I'm preemptively turning off pollution because GT has enough other fires to put out without a new restricting mechanic. Just after a few minutes, though, it seems really well done!

Absolutely gently caress pollution. making the right choice there. that mechanic was originally instated to discourage mass parallelization to keep server resources low, so in my mind it's not really a part of the core experience.

the gtnh discord is always full of people answering questions, it's a good resource if you get stumped

lastly, there's some pretty great playthroughs of gtnh on youtube, i got a lot of tips and direction from watching kharax82 and threefold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i've never bothered disabling the mob mods. they're not much of a problem once you set up a base + bed if you're careful. and yeah getting a crossbow isn't *that* far into a playthrough.

btw they patched the vengeance thing so you take way less damage from it. it's not killed me since.