Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I've only been able to play a couple of sessions with him, but I made a Call of Cthulhu character named Count Leon Potemkin who is basically a conman from Des Moines who has spent the last few years pretending to be an exiled Russian nobleman. In his attempts to get in good with the rich and powerful he has repeatedly found himself in terrifying occult situations, culminating in a possessed bed pushing him out a window and nearly killing him.

More recently my current D&D campaign has me playing as Horace Eastman, previously the muscle for an international band of thieves, now an aging and good natured fighter/rouge following a decades long stint in prison where he ended up finding (a) god. A friend of mine whose first campaign this is has been playing a neutral evil paladin named Boris who was eventually revealed to be my son, so a lot of the encounters so far have been us trying to approach the same problems in strategically and morally opposite ways while trying to keep one another alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Was it the bed in The Haunting? That bed gets everyone.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I got cocky after the flying knife went down so easily.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Night10194 posted:

That just makes me think of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jYyYl3RdjI
(you can watch this movie on youtube now)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The bed is perfect because it will gently caress you up but it's not terribly likely to kill any one PC. It's the perfect 'this situation is about to go crazy!' moment and led to a super memorable sequence when I was running the adventure where their lawyer got flung out the window, got back up covered in glass shards, calmly went to the Packard, pulled his BAR out of the back, and then kicked the front door in screaming bloody murder and wanting vengeance.

Then the others grabbed him and yelled 'we're getting you to a hospital' but it's still the funniest possible reaction to being flung out the window by a death bed. I think every single CoC party that plays that adventure ends up with one character with an awesome death bed story. :allears:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Aw heck yeah I love reading about people’s characters!

In return, here’s some of mine:
I can’t find the solo pic of my first long-term character, so here’s the whole party with Savian Rakenkrak

Savian was raised in a religiously conservative dwarven monastery run by his elder brother Ramud, who believed that the dwarves had been worshipping their god Vergadain all wrong. The small enclave had started as a means to worship the gods without creating things in a forge, or drinking ale, as these things were the domain of the gods, and not for mortals. As the population of the monastery grew, Ramud became even more cocksure of his beliefs, and eventually led an uprising against the dwarven kingdom with Savian to serve as his advisor in the new ruling party. Unfortunately despite the impressive combat abilities of the monks, Savian had been fed some bogus advice by one of his informants, and when they stormed the palace it was not empty as expected but full of every royal guard in the dwarven nation. Savian and Ramud were captured along with their followers, and Ramud was summarily executed for insurrection. Always the sneakier of the two, Savian managed to flee his prison quarters while awaiting his own trial, and fled across the continent to the port city of Zhester.

Shortly after arriving in Zhester, a forward party from Barovia arrived, successfully deposing the current lord and installing Count Strahd von Zarovich as the Open Lord of Zhester. Strahd then set up some sort of arcane device that threw the land into darkness so that he could walk openly during the ‘day’, and evicted or slaughtered any civilians who dissented against him. Savian and his allies took this eviction notice as a call to action, and set out to gather allies across the nations to form an army strong enough to defeat Strahd.
It was during the early stages of this journey that Savian first spoke directly with his god Vergadain, meeting him in his dreams. Vergadain, now considerably weaker after the violence in the dwarven homeland had stripped him of a large number of his followers, promised Savian a weapon forged in the fires of the gods themselves in return for Savian proselytising in the name of Vergadain. Eager to atone for his part in the loss of many worshippers of Vergadain, Savian happily agreed.

After several months of travelling with his companions, teaching them about his straight-edge lifestyle in honour of Vergadain, slaying many allies of Strahd and gathering even more of his enemies to fight alongside the party in their planned assault on Zhester, Vergadain finally came through on his promise and delivered a gift to Savian in his dreams. Lightbringer, the axe lifted from the fires of the forgemaster himself. Shortly after receiving this gift, Savian and his party were attacked by sand golems while travelling, and a party member was slain. Unable to be revived by the divine magic of Savian’s good friend Nu’lis, Savian’s faith in the gods was shaken. He began to blame Vergadain’s weakness as a god for first the death of his brother, and now the death of a friend. Almost immediately, Savian’s demeanour towards the gods changed, as he realised that divine power was not earned, but merely a popularity contest with only the gods who had the most followers being strong enough to affect change in the world.

When exploring a ruin on an island that contained a portal to the pocket dimension that was the interior of Strahd’s castle, Savian strode directly in with the poise of a man who had lost the will to live in the name of his god, and struck Strahd unawares. Followed by his loyal friends, a lengthy battle ensued against the vampire lord, culminating in the destruction of the darkness machine and the return of daylight to Zhester. Caught in this dazzling light, Strahd was defeated and Zhester was finally freed. Empowered by the relief of the citizens of the city that their dark lord had been defeated, Savian took to the streets to ensure that everyone knew exactly who had freed the city: Savian, the bringer of the dawn.
While covering every square inch of the city promoting his name, Savian found himself in the sewers underneath what had been Strahd’s castle, where he discovered an entire society of gnolls who had been forced to live underground for generations by the city’s fearful population. On Strahd’s arrival to the city, the gnolls had been forced into slavery for Strahd’s desires, and in turn were even more delighted with the defeat of the vampire than the rest of the city had been. Utilising his new standing in the city, Savian ran a successful city-wide gnoll reintegration campaign, allowing the long subjugated hyena-people to return to the surface. In return, Savian asked for nothing but for their people to spread the word of the man who had ‘singlehandedly’ brought them their freedom.

As his name spread throughout the city, Savian found himself able to perform small amounts of divine magic thanks to the increase in worship of the new gnoll god, Savian the bringer of dawn and breakfast. Buoyed by this, and determined to take divine matters into his own hands, Savian continued to smear the name of Vergadain, and indeed any other god he perceived as not being strong enough. When a now much-weakened Vergadain confronted Savian in his dreams about this new behaviour, Savian attacked him with the very axe Vergadain had created, slaying the weak god and establishing himself in the pantheon.

—————————
We’ve just started a sequel campaign, set ~100 years in the future, where Savian is now an established god with a sizeable following. I’m now playing Gez Grundlestain

A goblin bard cunningly disguising himself as a very ugly halfling, he has been summoned to the royal court of Zhester by the current lord after selling him a faulty horse. Lord Nu’lis claims the horse was merely two goblins in a trenchcoat, while an incensed Gez is insistent to anyone that will listen that it was in fact a pig disguised as two goblins in a trenchcoat disguised as a horse.

E: while I love all the characters in this thread,

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Mac OS Guyver
is a winner on name alone

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 20, 2021

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Here's another one from the Rogue Trader game: Ginfizz the Freeboota, my "backup character" in case my primary character gets killed.

Raised from a spore by the Archmilitant Esme Parkreiner after the failed Ork siege of Damaris, drilled in the manner of a Praetorian, taught to venerate the God Emperor as the biggest and strongest git in the Galaxy.

Years later, when a massive chaos pirate fleet besieged Damaris, Esme sent Ginfizz out among the wild Orks that had infested the hinterlands ever since the failed Waagh. He returned as their Boss, leading an armada of scratch built deathcars that struck the demon legion in the rear at a crucial moment, breaking their assault on the hive city.

His "mustache" is a second pair of tusks, like a babirusa

Orks are the second best aliens in 40K. I've searched but not found any rules for playing as a Jokaero in the FFG RPGs.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Orks are lovely. I once played a Rogue Trader campaign that we sprung on a friend as a joke: she thought we were playing an entirely different system until she showed up at the table and we all handed her a portfolio. "Congratulations, dirt farmer! You've inherited a Warrant of Trade! Now come meet your crew!"

The guy playing the Ork weaponsmaster made frequent reference to the configuration of the vessel and how his quarters were positioned beneath the captain's bridge, until it finally dawned on her that he was continuing to literally troll her.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Another character: Adrian LeBarge, the con artist who robs cultists, from a short Unknown Armies 3E actual play I guested in a couple months ago.

Art by Basil

I'm trying to challenge myself and play characters without combat skills, so I won't be tempted to take the easy way out and kill troublesome NPCs. Grifters are fun to play, and despite its other flaws UA3 makes it easy to mechanically execute just about any character concept. You just set an identity to "Con Artist", put some points into it, and then fill in the "of course I can" statements with things like "make people trust me" and "act like I belong".

Original concept

UA3's corkboarding process is a real struggle for new players (and GMs) but one of the advantages is that, if you have a piece of content you want to appear in the game, even as a player, you can add it to the game when it's your turn to put a setting element on the board. So a lot of people will write up their characters, groups, locations, etc as modular pieces that can be dropped into the game during worldgen (or introduced later). So after the campaign was over I worked up a plug and play version of Adrian. I don't know how much demand there is for maladjusted grifters (which are never in short supply in UA), but I love writing up my player characters as NPCs after the fact.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Another Unknown Armies character. Yoshida the Cleaner - the guy who mops up Japan's one train suicide a day. Latest in a long line of corpse cleaners, stretching back from the Tokyo Subway all the way back to the Kanto Quake. Travels a lot for work, which is great since he's also a member of ¥0, the Japanese successor conspiracy to the old Mak Attax cabal. The pursers handle the special orders, he just talks to a ghost here and there.

On the job

Relaxing at Rose's, the walkup izakaya outside the station in Nagoya

UA3 has really grown on me. I actually went back and read all the spell schools in book 1, and the lore sections of books 2 and 3.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

A campaign I was in (dungeon world) just wrapped much earlier than expected so that means the retirement of one of my better PCs before I got to do as much with him as I'd like.

Morlin the Mirthful is the biggest loving elf you've ever seen. He was exiled for "standing up to the injustices of a venal and vindictive king" (he didn't want to pay his back taxes) and since then he's been a professional barbarian - he attaches himself to the entourage of a rich person (we had a princess PC) and plays up a fake Conan persona to make his patron look open minded, quirky, tough, etc. He always wears embroidered vests, open of course, and the less competent he is at something the more likely he is to get competitive about it, often to his humiliation. He misses his ex husband but assumes said ex husband does not reciprocate. When a conversation gets awkward he will either hit on people or just walk out and claim that he's just being traditional (it is not).

His highest stat is charisma and he's a total dipshit with a less tragic back story than he tells people.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Simon Seven-Coppers

Simon Fetting was born the son of an unknown mercenary father and Elia Fetting, a local prostitute. As a child, Simon was mainly neglected by his mother, spending his time in the streets. He was the ringleader of a gang of local streethoods. Simon took his first life when he was 11, a young boy he and his posse beat to death in the streets of the town. As he grew into adolescence he garnered a notorious reputation with the local authorities as violent and troublesome youth. During his teenage years, Simon had many run-ins with the law, being accused of many different crimes and misdeeds. As a teen, one of his more egregious crimes was the vicious rape of a townswoman, not to mention the many robberies, burglaries, thefts and brutal, violent assaults. Known from even a young age for his appetite for cruelty, as an adult he grew into a menacing individual, using his base cunning to engage in crime with deft aptitude, always with penchant for violence. Known for having absolutely no limit to the depravity of his criminal acts, his willingness to do anything to make a few coins along the way eventually earned him the moniker, “Simon Seven-Coppers”. A well-known villain and criminal, Simon eventually copped himself a 3-year prison sentence for assaulting a sheriff. Shortly after he was released from prison, Simon Seven-Coppers joined up with the notorious Mathers Gang. He now lives a life of robbing, killing and looting with the Mathers Gang as an incredibly brutal and thuggish bandit gang member.

-Chaotic Evil

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Here are a couple of characters for an upcoming campaign I'm planning.

King Charles IV “the Tyrant”

Born as the heir apparent to a powerful kingdom, Prince Charles was destined for a life of extreme privilege from the moment he came into the world. Growing up he was taught the manners and formalities of a crown prince. His father, King William VII the Well-Served, was a dutiful monarch who appointed resourceful and able councillors. He balanced listening to the concerns of the nobles with firm demonstrations of his authority. Prince Charles grew up as a member of the fashionable, leisurely elite with a penchant for fine clothes, art and other luxuries. He would often spend time at the royal estate riding his fine thoroughbreds through the countryside and lounging with his close retainers and staff. He attended many public events where his fashionable good looks and refined, cultured taste won him much the admiration of attendees.

His life would change dramatically when his father, the king, died peacefully in his sleep. While the country mourned the loss of their beloved king, they looked brightly towards the future in the hands of the young King Charles IV. As Charles was a stranger to matters of state, his father's loyal advisor, Lord High Chancellor Constantine Farvello, offered his guidance to the young king. An effective, resourceful administrator, Lord High Chancellor Farvello was instrumental to the young king's burgeoning success. The first order of business was the kingdom's finances. There was a great discrepancy between the royal coffers and the new economic demands of a growing kingdom.. Lord High Chancellor Farvello wisely suggested a detailed and efficient tax policy that would restore the royal coffers. King Charles signed these into law on the Lord High Chancellor's prudent advice.

Another problem arose when crime in the kingdom increased due to lax enforcement of law and order. A wise and benevolent king, Charles, on the advice of his chancellor, employed the army to protect his citizens and bring criminals to justice. A minor issue with some guild masters brought itself to the attention of the king. The chancellor graciously offered to handle it for Charles, utilising his expertise in economic matters and familiarity with guild enterprises to resolve the issue at hand. The kingdom was now running smoothly and effectively. However, tragedy struck when the king caught wind that a coalition of nobles sent an ultimatum to the offices of the crown demanding that some deceitful and corrupt merchants be released. These nobles reaped the benefits of these corrupt men who were in their employ. Chancellor Farvello warned the king that the release of these men would cause great harm to the public good. These nobles believed they could easily coerce the king into releasing criminals, thus making a mockery of the king’s authority.

Their treachery didn’t end there. The chancellor introduced the king to a man who claimed to have been hired by the coalition of nobles to kill him. The chancellor reimbursed the would-be assassin for his troubles and strongly advised that the noblemen be arrested and executed. The king was fearful of this plot and was lost for a course of action. Luckily, Chancellor Farvello devised a clever plan to capture the noblemen. After all was said and done, the chancellor showed great resolve and service to the crown by capturing and arranging for the execution of these traitors. The king watched the condemned one by one as they walked to the block, pondering to himself about what wicked elements exist in his kingdom. Chancellor Farvello, as always, had a solution. A wise and politically astute man, the chancellor informed the king which nobles were loyal to the crown. He suggested the king grant these supporters the lands and estates of the traitors who plotted against him. He also suggested that stricter safeguards against treason be implemented. King Charles resolutely enacted these measures.

The king feels he would be lost without his loyal, competent advisor who provides him with such reasoned counsel and so fervently ensures the enactment of his divine will as law.

Chancellor Farvello

- Art By Nadav Igra aka Hellbeard

Coat of Arms of House Farvello

Constantine Farvello was born to relatively humble origins in the minor noble house of Farvello. He grew to be a studious and diligent young man, with a noted talent for organization. It was these qualities that led him to seek a career in government. He successfully secured a minor position in the provincial administration at the young age of 23. He soon proved himself to be an effective and thoughtful administrator, and quickly rose through the ranks of the kingdom’s bureaucracy. A man totally driven by ambition, Constantine found he had a gift for underhanded tactics and political maneuvers. This allowed him to thrive in a competitive environment. After many more years of clever scheming and artful political maneuvering, Constantine eventually found himself within the good graces of the crown itself. His efficacious service awarded him the position of Lord High Chancellor.

As chancellor, Constantine Farvello was now chief advisor to the king. This of course gave him immense power and influence over the affairs of state. The ambitious chancellor’s exceptional rise in political power naturally led him to aspire to become equally as wealthy. To that end, he invested a great deal of his salary in the establishment of weaveries and dyeworks. These ventures initially saw great success, but he became too greedy, and the resulting oversupply caused a catastrophic price crash. Farvello’s investments now in ruins, his solution was to use his influence over the newly crowned king, who had recently succeeded his father. He persuaded the young king to enact a royal edict that placed heavy taxes on goods and raw materials that were unrelated or in direct competition to the chancellor’s own enterprises. This led to a massive increase in the cost of production of these goods. However, Chancellor Farvello’s enterprises were naturally unaffected by this new tax policy. With this, Chancellor Farvello achieved the windfall he desired.

Eventually, components crucial for the manufacturing of other goods became so expensive that craftsmen turned to less than legal methods to attain them. As a result, crime increased. Chancellor Farvello enacted harsh punishments for petty theft, tax evasion, and smuggling of untaxed goods. He cracked down on criminal organizations such as thieves guilds. He employed the full strength of his majesty's army in the roads and towns to enforce his will. Besides the crown sheriffs, he hired many thugs and vicious brutes as local constables to enforce these measures. Eventually these deprivations totally incensed the guilds and their masters protested to the king. However, Chancellor Farvello had them all imprisoned “under orders” from his majesty. This blatant display of tyranny enraged much of the nobility, and together they sent an ultimatum, demanding that the king absolve and release the imprisoned guild masters. Chancellor Farvello convinced the king that these noblemen were traitors and that they should be arrested and summarily executed. Chancellor Farvello invited the disgruntled nobles to negotiate an accord, where they believed the king would agree to relax many of the policies that led to the dispute. This was a trap. Upon arrival, each nobleman was arrested. Those who resisted were cut down where they stood. Chancellor Farvello had these nobles executed and their lands confiscated. Then he convinced the king to grant these estates to his own key allies in the nobility.

The Chancellor set a precedent that anyone who questioned his authority was guilty of “treason against the king” and was arrested and put to death. The people of the kingdom grew to live in fear of the king’s wrath, unaware of the Chancellor’s insidious and absolute influence over the crown.

Chancellor Farvello portrays himself to the common people as a man who is doing the best he can to keep the kingdom from falling apart. Ever the master orator, the Chancellor frequently gives grandiose speeches to the public in which he depicts himself as a gracious public servant who stands on the side of the people against the malevolent forces within the kingdom. In public, he often pleads mercy for the common folk before his king. Fervently backed by the kingdom’s draconian army, Chancellor Farvello is now the de facto ruler of the kingdom. The nobles of the realm now greatly fear him as an influential man of power. They tread lightly around Farvello, who they know they must either side with or bargain with as there are no other alternatives. Period.

trapstar fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 15, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

One of my players is The Divine in Monster of the Week. He's slam picked the Trident weapon option and has been rolling with he's the distant surfer bum relative of Poseidon.

At a level up he took a pet seagull which he named Dana Gully

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

I’ve got a warforged bard named Radio that was made out of jukebox parts I’m playing in a 3.5 campaign next weekend. I haven’t played 3.5 since like, it came out. I’m excited.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Watch out for a warforged bard named video made out of tv parts. They are your sworn enemy.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Only if they kill the radio star

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Tulip posted:

A campaign I was in (dungeon world) just wrapped much earlier than expected so that means the retirement of one of my better PCs before I got to do as much with him as I'd like.

Morlin the Mirthful is the biggest loving elf you've ever seen. He was exiled for "standing up to the injustices of a venal and vindictive king" (he didn't want to pay his back taxes) and since then he's been a professional barbarian - he attaches himself to the entourage of a rich person (we had a princess PC) and plays up a fake Conan persona to make his patron look open minded, quirky, tough, etc. He always wears embroidered vests, open of course, and the less competent he is at something the more likely he is to get competitive about it, often to his humiliation. He misses his ex husband but assumes said ex husband does not reciprocate. When a conversation gets awkward he will either hit on people or just walk out and claim that he's just being traditional (it is not).

His highest stat is charisma and he's a total dipshit with a less tragic back story than he tells people.

I love this!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Len posted:

One of my players is The Divine in Monster of the Week. He's slam picked the Trident weapon option and has been rolling with he's the distant surfer bum relative of Poseidon.

At a level up he took a pet seagull which he named Dana Gully
I remember playing the Divine as Roman goddess of battle Bellona and ended up falling for the slacker TV salesman. opposites attract.

---

Devika Velyapur is part of a two-person Confidence team with her mentor, “Lord” Simon Alfric.

https://imgur.com/a/a1JUZk5

It’s a 1930s Fate Core pulp game. DV is a Mystic orphan and a former queen of the red jasmine cult, an aspiring high-roller, believes kids are smarter than adults (despite only having a fifth-grade education and traveling with someone who has two doctorates), and is Simon’s Bestie.

Simon and Devika are the only two people in the party without any competence in combat. They’re solid at burglary, deceit, rapport, athletics, sneaking… not so much at dealing with the consequences of these things.

Unlike other teen characters I’ve played in feng shui, masks, or tales from the loop, their best friend/parental dynamic is with another player character. Lord Simon is conflicted that he puts her in danger in order to rake in loads of cash. Devi is jealous of all the pretty-boys that lord Simon hangs around with. And while they’re friends with the rest of the party, their constant thieving isn’t well received.

Can an orphan have codependency issues?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I forgot about this thread! There's a podcast dedicated to telling people about your character and one of my players was on it

https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-home-for-wayward-ocs/episode/094-kyle-and-noah-203080887

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Most recently, we listened to a lot season one of Dungeons and Daddies and a friend decided she wanted to run a similar premise, where schoolkids transported to the Forgotten Realms discovered previously unknown abilities.

In the end we had an teenage emo [bard] whose name I forget, the school nurse [cleric] (the one exception to the children rule) who I called Nurse Benis and the name stuck, and a kid in jorts and 3 wolf shirts who does mall kung fu with Sifu Barry [my character, a monk].

We had a lot of fun fighting the Forgotten Realms doppelgangers of our bullies. I found a kung fu move name generator and every time I rolled an attack I called out a new one. The character was a huge dork in the real world and gained confidence in themselves and their abilities in Faerun as they levelled - eventually I lost my glasses and a speech impediment as a nod towards the monk's purity of body/soul progression, which was a fun little addition.

Unfortunately COVID struck and the game fell over a bit, but we all still laugh fondly and idly talk about picking it back up again (and then of course S2 of Dungeons and Daddies came out).

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Here's another one of my characters. He’s the type of hero that's in a similar vein to heroes like Prince Hans (Frozen), Gaston (Beauty and the Beast) and Homelander (The Boys).

Alfonso Donn

Born to a guild affiliated tailor in the Kingdom of Trirella, Alfonso grew up in relative comfort. Growing up in the coastal town of Havenport, Alfonso had an adventurous spirit. His father paid for swordsmanship lessons for him. Alfonso was a natural swordsman and quickly became skilled with a rapier. His success bolstered his self-confidence.

From a young age, Alfonso was unusually fond of himself. He thought all those around him loved him as much as he loved himself. As he grew up, this arrogant self-love evolved into grandiosity. Alfonso began to see himself as a “hero” to the people in the city. He went to great lengths to help others if he thought it would bring him adoration. Alfonso let any appreciation go to his head. He started to proclaim himself as “The Hero of Havenport”, paying bards and minstrels to sing songs of his deeds.

A narcissistic man, Alfonso now sees himself as Havenport’s watchful guardian, a gift bestowed upon the people of the city. However he destroys those who stand in his way and or question his “heroism”. In his twisted and corrupt mind, he is just and noble no matter what he does. Those who oppose him are villains who could never triumph against his virtuous strength and deserve to die.

Alfonso knows he is the greatest hero there ever was or will be. He knows he is destined to become the courageous friend and savior of all of Trirella. Bow your head to the great Alfonso Donn!

-Neutral Evil

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

trapstar posted:

Alfonso Donn

this character is great, big fan

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

this character is great, big fan

Thank you!

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

A goofy little project I made for my character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0aD4DYyTXk

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Beaches Springbreaker

A Pathfinder 1E Magus I've been playing as in a Rise of the Runelords campaign that's been running for several years now and is just about to wrap up.

Beaches Springbreaker was born Reginald Mithrilsmith III, heir to the Mithrilsmith fortune and their massive network of mithril mines and armor forges.

Reginald was raised with the best education money could buy but never took to any business or economics lessons, instead only ever showing an aptitude for swordplay and magic studies. He was generally lazy and was a near-constant disappointment to his father. When Reginald was 20 his father died unexpectedly in an accident and Reginald found himself in control of his inheritance much earlier than he was ready for.

In spite of his unreadiness the Mithrilsmith company basically ran itself and Reginald soon found himself loving the hollow life of the idle rich for a decade with no real friends or family to speak of, his boredom only interrupted by requests to sign off on decisions he did not understand. One day while walking on a beach he came across a group of revelers who invited him to join them.

They called themselves Parrot Heads and told Reginald tales of a magical place where everyone was one big family that loved and cared for one another: Margaritaville. Under the watchful, loving eye of Father Jim Buffett the Parrot Heads spent their days as peaceful farmers. Reginald joined immediately and, in Parrot Head tradition, took a new name for his new life: Beaches Springbreaker.

In reality, Father Jim was a brutal and tyrannical leader of a doomsday cult and Margaritaville was a hellish compound with terrible living conditions for anyone not in his inner circle. The true purpose of the Parrot Heads was to act as fanatically loyal and cheap labor in Margaritaville growing, distributing, and selling illicit substances throughout the land.

At first Beaches didn't experience any of this up close, instead being invited to live in Father Jim's mansion in the center of the compound. For a brief time Beaches had everything he wanted until he revealed to Father Jim that before moving to Margaritaville he'd sold off his entire company for well under its true value. Furious at losing a promising source of regular income, Father Jim threw Beaches out of the mansion and forced him into hard labor in the fields.

Eventually, Beaches couldn't take it anymore and became desperate to get back into Father Jim's good graces. In the dead of night he stole a small supply of drugs and escaped the compound. When he meets the party in the campaign he is wandering the area selling drugs and preaching the doctrine of the Parrot Heads, hoping to find anything out in the world that will get him back in Father Jim's inner circle.

Personality-wise Beaches is a huge piece of poo poo who is very self-serving and excellent at deceiving only himself. He is always trying to run small scams on people but has a charisma score of 7 (extremely low in Pathfinder) so 95% of the time everyone can immediately tell that he's super untrustworthy. He has an armadillo named Ricky as his familiar, who is also a huge piece of poo poo as far as armadillos go.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

Beaches Springbreaker

A Pathfinder 1E Magus I've been playing as in a Rise of the Runelords campaign that's been running for several years now and is just about to wrap up.

Beaches Springbreaker was born Reginald Mithrilsmith III, heir to the Mithrilsmith fortune and their massive network of mithril mines and armor forges.

Reginald was raised with the best education money could buy but never took to any business or economics lessons, instead only ever showing an aptitude for swordplay and magic studies. He was generally lazy and was a near-constant disappointment to his father. When Reginald was 20 his father died unexpectedly in an accident and Reginald found himself in control of his inheritance much earlier than he was ready for.

In spite of his unreadiness the Mithrilsmith company basically ran itself and Reginald soon found himself loving the hollow life of the idle rich for a decade with no real friends or family to speak of, his boredom only interrupted by requests to sign off on decisions he did not understand. One day while walking on a beach he came across a group of revelers who invited him to join them.

They called themselves Parrot Heads and told Reginald tales of a magical place where everyone was one big family that loved and cared for one another: Margaritaville. Under the watchful, loving eye of Father Jim Buffett the Parrot Heads spent their days as peaceful farmers. Reginald joined immediately and, in Parrot Head tradition, took a new name for his new life: Beaches Springbreaker.

In reality, Father Jim was a brutal and tyrannical leader of a doomsday cult and Margaritaville was a hellish compound with terrible living conditions for anyone not in his inner circle. The true purpose of the Parrot Heads was to act as fanatically loyal and cheap labor in Margaritaville growing, distributing, and selling illicit substances throughout the land.

At first Beaches didn't experience any of this up close, instead being invited to live in Father Jim's mansion in the center of the compound. For a brief time Beaches had everything he wanted until he revealed to Father Jim that before moving to Margaritaville he'd sold off his entire company for well under its true value. Furious at losing a promising source of regular income, Father Jim threw Beaches out of the mansion and forced him into hard labor in the fields.

Eventually, Beaches couldn't take it anymore and became desperate to get back into Father Jim's good graces. In the dead of night he stole a small supply of drugs and escaped the compound. When he meets the party in the campaign he is wandering the area selling drugs and preaching the doctrine of the Parrot Heads, hoping to find anything out in the world that will get him back in Father Jim's inner circle.

Personality-wise Beaches is a huge piece of poo poo who is very self-serving and excellent at deceiving only himself. He is always trying to run small scams on people but has a charisma score of 7 (extremely low in Pathfinder) so 95% of the time everyone can immediately tell that he's super untrustworthy. He has an armadillo named Ricky as his familiar, who is also a huge piece of poo poo as far as armadillos go.

I love this character already. Sounds like a real piece of work, but also has many flaws someone could relate to. So a piece of poo poo who is also a well-rounded character concept.

trapstar fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 29, 2022

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Alethia Dwendal

Art source

I'll preface this by saying I know literally nothing about Critical Role, but I'm playing in a campaign set in Exandria, this is my new character, who I played for the first time tonight.

Alethia Dwendal is just a perfectly normal ordinary woman. Her parents did perfectly normal ordinary jobs until they both died in a tragically normal accident. She was sent to a Normal Orphanage for Unremarkable Children, where she grew up. Then she made a living for a while doing perfectly normal ordinary jobs, until she discovered a completely normal set of thieves tools in a completely normal place and decided to use them to become an adventurer. She likes to talk about her old normal life a lot, but obviously, not to an abnormal degree.

There are rumours. Some people say it's not a coincidence that she has the same name as Princess Alethia, second in line to inherit the Dwendelian Empire. Some say that reports that Princess Alethia died are in fact false, and that this Alethia Dwendal is the very same royal, now on the run from some sinister force. Of course, Alethia dismisses these rumours. Pure coincidence, she's perfectly normal! And really, if she was this princess (and she definitely isn't), why wouldn't she change her name? But some are not persuaded. They think the tiara and the giant emerald brooch on her coat imply the inverse. They think that when Alethia reminisces about her first grand ball at "the orphanage", she actually means "the palace". Nonsense, says Alethia, as if an orphanage couldn't hold a ball! Even orphans need to have fun too.

There is another, less well known rumour. This one whispered in much more hushed tones. They say that in fact, Alethia Dwendal is a con artist, deliberately pretending to be the Worst-Disguised Princess in Recorded History, finding gullible sorts and then raking them for all their money. All those princess rumours? She was the one that spread them. Some even say she's a spy, looking for anyone who might be willing to fund a coup, turning them over to the Empire once she's roped them into believing they're supporting a pretender to the throne. And the rumour says, she's hunted down and killed people who threatened to expose her. Alethia has nothing to say about these rumours, for some reason nobody around has asked.

---

At this point I have no idea what the character's backstory actually is, whether she's oblivious princess, or conwoman, or spy, or full WIFOM actual princess playing dumb. Either way I had a blast on this first session with her, playing a (possible) princess who is doing a horrendously awful job of pretending not to be a princess.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Alethia Dwendal

Art source

I'll preface this by saying I know literally nothing about Critical Role, but I'm playing in a campaign set in Exandria, this is my new character, who I played for the first time tonight.

Alethia Dwendal is just a perfectly normal ordinary woman. Her parents did perfectly normal ordinary jobs until they both died in a tragically normal accident. She was sent to a Normal Orphanage for Unremarkable Children, where she grew up. Then she made a living for a while doing perfectly normal ordinary jobs, until she discovered a completely normal set of thieves tools in a completely normal place and decided to use them to become an adventurer. She likes to talk about her old normal life a lot, but obviously, not to an abnormal degree.

There are rumours. Some people say it's not a coincidence that she has the same name as Princess Alethia, second in line to inherit the Dwendelian Empire. Some say that reports that Princess Alethia died are in fact false, and that this Alethia Dwendal is the very same royal, now on the run from some sinister force. Of course, Alethia dismisses these rumours. Pure coincidence, she's perfectly normal! And really, if she was this princess (and she definitely isn't), why wouldn't she change her name? But some are not persuaded. They think the tiara and the giant emerald brooch on her coat imply the inverse. They think that when Alethia reminisces about her first grand ball at "the orphanage", she actually means "the palace". Nonsense, says Alethia, as if an orphanage couldn't hold a ball! Even orphans need to have fun too.

There is another, less well known rumour. This one whispered in much more hushed tones. They say that in fact, Alethia Dwendal is a con artist, deliberately pretending to be the Worst-Disguised Princess in Recorded History, finding gullible sorts and then raking them for all their money. All those princess rumours? She was the one that spread them. Some even say she's a spy, looking for anyone who might be willing to fund a coup, turning them over to the Empire once she's roped them into believing they're supporting a pretender to the throne. And the rumour says, she's hunted down and killed people who threatened to expose her. Alethia has nothing to say about these rumours, for some reason nobody around has asked.

---

At this point I have no idea what the character's backstory actually is, whether she's oblivious princess, or conwoman, or spy, or full WIFOM actual princess playing dumb. Either way I had a blast on this first session with her, playing a (possible) princess who is doing a horrendously awful job of pretending not to be a princess.

Reminds me of that woman who claimed to be Princess Anastasia.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

trapstar posted:

Reminds me of that woman who claimed to be Princess Anastasia.

The Princess Anastasia story was indeed one of the sources I drew on when making the character! There were a bunch of claimants, who were variously mentally ill, con artists, simple fantasists, and amnesiac princesses cursed by a lich.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Reveilled posted:

The Princess Anastasia story was indeed one of the sources I drew on when making the character! There were a bunch of claimants, who were variously mentally ill, con artists, simple fantasists, and amnesiac princesses cursed by a lich.

Those liches do be vengeful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmEGOiAfsws

trapstar fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 1, 2022

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Flinn (original family name unknown) was a war orphan growing up in the streets of your typical fantasy city, when he started to exhibit strange uncontrollable powers. A normally reclusive Elvish sorcerer named Daggerath recognized the stirrings of power in this small lad causing chaos in the street, and she took him in to teach him how to control his Wild Magic. The two of them became something of an unlikely family.

Unfortunately, Daggerath had been an activist in her previous life, and hearing Flinn's life story reignited her desire to improve the lot of the people. This did not go over well with the upper classes who profited from their suffering. One morning, Flinn came downstairs to find Daggerath dead at the breakfast table, Flinn's own knife protruding from her throat, and the town constabulary beating down the front door. Flinn fled back into the streets, but with a new desire for revenge against the corrupt, rich, and powerful.

Now, Flinn Daggerath stalks the city at night, hunting the "untouchable" parasites who would harm the common people.

What keeps Flinn from just being "fantasy Batman" is that he's small, scrawny, and unkempt, with pale skin and the kind of grubbiness that never really washes out completely. Behind all that, he has tons of points in Deception, Persuasion, and Sleight of Hand, and specializes in illusion magic for infiltration and quick getaways. The constant threat of his Wild Magic blowing up in his face adds some spice. He also talks like a 1930's Bowery boy.

He's my beautiful unicorn PC and I love him.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Kokoro Wish posted:

...this boy is my longest running D&D 5e character in about a 3 year campaign now:

Then:

Now:

So an update on this lad.

Biktik has matured somewhat, and since helping to reclaim and repopulate a once defunct Magical College run by Dragons known as Hightower. He has become their Physical Education instructor (since he's kind of an idiot, but very physically capable). It helped that within him is still the spirit of an ancient Brass Dragon, who has now become almost a friend (and Grandma) over time.

He's been joined by his ward, Emily. Quite a while ago, the party raided a cult, killing many, but Biktik spared a few, including a few magically plague stricken Hyenas the cult employed. Turns out those Hyenas were transformed villagers, and one who he questioned was Emily. A young girl whose entire family had been transformed, and the party had more than likely killed. He took her under his protection, vowing to return her to what she was, or something as close as possible, so she could live beyond this.

Fast-forward to today. She has been enrolled at the school after one of the faculty recognized her magical potential. With the aid of the school's facilities, she's been given back some of her humanity, restoring her body partially and her mind fully. The Hyena-girl now has an almost genius level intellect and has taken on the profession of her remembered father, that of a tinker, but taken to magical extremes. She still has a current of dark power flowing through her due to her demonic transformation, but is a rising star of the school.

Biktik couldn't be more proud. She's basically his daughter at this point, and has even taken to calling him "Papa" and taking his surname.

Now though, it looks like descendants of the Dragon that resides within him have taken notice. Some even came to the school. It turns out she was once the head of an entire Flight of Brass Dragons, and since word of her return has come to light, an argument of succession is underway. She had manifested to those at the school to tell them that she was dead, and she liked it that way. If anyone was to ask about this, she placed all power on Biktik as her representative. Eventually the Dragons present also abdicated responsibility as neither of them wanted it, despite being the possible figureheads, putting the mantle of possible successor of the entire flight on him, a Kobold. He had the blessings of the Lady and head of the clan, so why not? Now he is pitted again two Adult Brasses for the head of the clan, both of whom have been fighting a play-war with their Kobolds for centuries, costing thousands of lives.

It's up to him to take the mantle and stop this useless waste of Kobold life.

The campaign is still going, and the other members of the party have character threads that are just as strong as this. Plus there's the actual main story that's ongoing, that's just seen Emily get gifted some kind of weapon by a fragmenting god, for believing in the aspect of him that was such a good teacher and guardian of children, like her Papa. The GM has been an absolute star and I can't wait to see where this all goes.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 1, 2022

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
We stan a Jojo kobold

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
A Jojobold, if you will.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

This is a character that I'm planning on playing in an upcoming campaign.

Alexandra "Alex" Dempsey

Alexandra “Alex” Dempsey was born to mage parents who had met during their tenure at the The Vitrill Academy of the Arcane in the splendorous city of Feathluna and now own a very successful magic shop there.

Alex lived the privileged life that comes with affluence. Growing up, she was known for her beauty and her wit. However her parents ensured that Alex did not take her good fortune for granted. Alex was expected to help out in the shop and work hard at her studies from a young age. They made sure Alex refined her skills in magic and spellcraft. As a result, Alex developed confidence in her abilities. When she came of age, Alex followed in her parents' footsteps and enrolled in the Vitrill Academy of the Arcane. It was one of the happiest moments of her parents’ life.

Alex stood in awe upon arriving at the university. Even living in Feathluna, she had never seen anything so grand and amazing. Her parents had already taught her quite a lot about magic but now she was ready to be taught by the best of the best, the true experts. Her future professors would be some of the greatest mages in the land. Alex was eager to learn all that she could from these masters.

In her first class, Conjuration, Alex met some girls who were part of her mother’s sorority, Epsilon Phi. After Alex mentioned her family ties, the Epsilon Phi girls invited her out to spend time practicing their spells and studying. Her new friends eventually invited her into the sorority and Alex accepted. Alex had a great time studying and bonding with the girls in her sorority and became involved in many extra-curricular activities.

During her tenure at the university, Alex has become a powerful mage. She has impressed her professors with her tenaciousness and her resolve. Alex is now skilled and powerful in many schools of magic. She is a force to be reckoned with. Alex has also found a home among her sisters of Epsilon Phi. She knows that whatever the future holds, she is ready for it.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Lynn the Scoundrel

Lynn Feroe, called “Lynn the Scoundrel'' by his detractors, was born into a pampered existence as the recognized bastard son of his upper class father. He is a well-known habitual gambler with a fondness for drink and women. Devilishly handsome and charming, Lynn has broken the heart of many a young lady. An arrogant man full of flair with a talent for the dramatic, Lynn makes a point of always proving himself right. Lynn is always the first to jump at the chance to defend the honor of a lady in combat. This has led him to be thought of as self-righteous by some. He holds his personal honor in very high-esteem and is quick to defend himself against any and all slander. It is wise to never trust a word out of Lynn Feroe’s mouth as he is a braggart and a compulsive liar. Although not without his flaws, Lynn’s heart can be said to be set in the right place and he can often be seen protecting the helpless and defenseless from unfair malice and injustice. Whilst he may be a little out of touch, Lynn considers himself as a hero of the disenfranchised and shows great passion and determination when doing what he believes to be right.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

(Image is from Junji Ito - The Whispering Woman)

My favorite character ever was in Vampire: The Requiem. She was from Clan Mekhet, which are basically a more down-to-earth version of the Lasombra from VTM. They're sort of the thieves of the setting - quick, insightful, and can usually turn invisible. She was specifically a Hollow Mekhet, which is a subsplat that loses an extra chunk of their soul when they die, so they tend to be even more detached than a normal vampire. She had extremely low Humanity and was practically feral, but she had a perfectly normal ghoul (a Renfield basically). She would often just lurk invisibly and whisper stuff to her ghoul, who would speak and act for her in Vampire society.

She was tremendously strong and could wreck people barehanded, so that combined with the invisibility made her fairly intimidating, but she wasn't just a monster. There were still traces of her former life that would come to the surface sometimes. She'd remember to breathe and could try to empathize with people, but usually it only highlighted the tragedy of just how little of her was left. Without her ghoul, she usually wouldn't even remember to dress herself or brush her own hair. And sometimes she'd flip out and beat people to death with a manhole cover or rip somebody's arms off.

Unfortunately, the game I tried playing in crashed and burned before anything really got to happen, and VTR games are impossible to find, so I doubt I'll ever get to really play her for real :(

worm girl fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 7, 2022

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

worm girl posted:

(Image is from Junji Ito - The Whispering Woman)

My favorite character ever was in Vampire: The Requiem. She was from Clan Mekhet, which are basically a more down-to-earth version of the Lasombra from VTM. They're sort of the thieves of the setting - quick, insightful, and can usually turn invisible. She was specifically a Hollow Mekhet, which is a subsplat that loses an extra chunk of their soul when they die, so they tend to be even more detached than a normal vampire. She had extremely low Humanity and was practically feral, but she had a perfectly normal ghoul (a Renfield basically). She would often just lurk invisibly and whisper stuff to her ghoul, who would speak and act for her in Vampire society.

She was tremendously strong and could wreck people barehanded, so that combined with the invisibility made her fairly intimidating, but she wasn't just a monster. There were still traces of her former life that would come to the surface sometimes. She'd remember to breathe and could try to empathize with people, but usually it only highlighted the tragedy of just how little of her was left. Without her ghoul, she usually wouldn't even remember to dress herself or brush her own hair. And sometimes she'd flip out and beat people to death with a manhole cover or rip somebody's arms off.

Unfortunately, the game I tried playing in crashed and burned before anything really got to happen, and VTR games are impossible to find, so I doubt I'll ever get to really play her for real :(

Wow that sounds kind of heartbreaking. Interesting concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Devika “Miss Vicky” Velapur might be India’s richest orphan. Well, self-made orphan. Wait, that sounds bad.

After the death of her parents in 1934, “Vicky Vela” (as she goes by on hotel ledgers) was sold by a crooked uncle to the Red Jasmine cult. Her mystical sensibilities led her to be appointed queen, which would’ve seen her inhabit the spirit of Kali and undo humanity, purging it of its evils from the great war. Uh oh.

Luckily, she was rescued by “Lord” Simon Alfric, fake Britain and Con Man.

what separates Devika from most urchin/criminal/mystics is her commitment to making friends. All honey, no vinegar. But the girl has to get paid, with Viki helping to mastermind heists:
— of the New York Museum of natural history
— in the Yukon
— on the private island of Rockefeller
— underneath Lake Placid.

Plus smuggling things to various circus folk, foiling a murder on a cruise ship, stranding a Nazi zeppelin, and helping stop an earthquake machine that would’ve scuttled all navies in the south China Sea. As well as protecting her mentor’s boyfriend’s sister from general Francisco “Franky” Franco, wearing only the most fashionable outfits, all with only most of a middle school education.

Pic: https://imgur.com/ZdRBfDR

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 11, 2023