Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Look at ship flipping too. i.e. scavenging enough parts from wrecks to refurbish a wreck. The ship buying terminal is a weird looking thing in the north side of Kleg Commercial.
Finding a heavy tug brace to fit on your ship so you can tow ships around.

So is the strat there to find a derelict, tug it around to other derelicts to repair it, buying the license for it, and then selling it for a profit? Sounds cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well the tug is its own optional goal apart from refurbishing ships. Its a nice rare bit of hardware that lets you reposition ships. Otherwise manoeuvring while docked will wreck both ships.

You just harvest gear and cart it over on your own ship to the one you want to fix instead of selling the parts

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
A message from the publisher regarding Cities Skylines 2:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/the-way-forward-an-update-from-the-team-behind-cities-skylines.1665858/

A very poorly managed project

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mayveena posted:

A message from the publisher regarding Cities Skylines 2:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/the-way-forward-an-update-from-the-team-behind-cities-skylines.1665858/

A very poorly managed project

Is there a good place to read about the DLC in question and what happened?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pylons posted:

Been playing a lot of Ostronauts lately. I think I've got the early game loop down, I'm keeping a good handle on my mortgage and buying a salvage license every day. I'm slowly expanding my ship, but I'm wondering basically what my next goal should be? I'd imagine it's hiring a crew so I can grab the valuable salvage out of derelicts quicker (and hit more of them in a run), does that sound about right or is there something before that step I'm overlooking?

I played for a couple of hours last night. My 26 year old hacker/mechanic pilot guy boarded a ship with a bunch of broken parts, tossed what would fit into his tiny ship on the floor, then I crashed into something near (or maybe the actual) the main station and bounced off and drifted for about a day unable to repair my nav console because I didn't have a screen until the ship seemed to hit something else and broke apart into a thousand pieces.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dirk the Average posted:

Is there a good place to read about the DLC in question and what happened?

- game was set to come out october 24, 2023 on pc and consoles
- like a month before launch, they announce that they're delaying the console release and refunding that preorder money
- they also made a post about performance problems that will be in the game on release
- game comes out, mixed reviews, technical step up from the first game in many ways, but has a lot of problems
- before the game was released, the official communique was that modding support (a huge part of the first game) would be out shortly, with one C:S1 (not C:S2) customer interaction person saying "a matter of days not hours" or something like that
- game doesn't come out with mod support
- after it was released as a very buggy game, somewhat fixed with patches over the first month or two (including tackling many of the graphics performance issues, to their credit), they announce the roadmap for modding support, which was a few months for code mods and the map editor, but way longer for custom assets
- in between then (code mod release) and now, is a weird jumble of a few patches, weird customer communique, the increasing frustration of the community over the game being basically unfinished, with lots of elements of its hyped up "simulation" being badly designed or not fleshed out
- finally they release the first asset pack DLC for the game, "Beachfront Properties"
- the mood turns sour when people realize its really only like 10 european style houses, 10 north american style houses, a handful of fancy houses, and four new palm trees!
- notably lacking from this "Beachfront Properties" DLC is a beach, game doesn't have a beach (weirdly it does have a sand texture you can lay down through the developer tools if you want to make a beach)
- the DLC gets across the board terrible reviews for being a sloppy and small DLC, along with not having, you know, beaches
- it sits at a 4% rating on steam currently

Basically they pushed out an unfinished game, modding support has been very slow to roll out, the CEO of the dev studio has had some questionable interactions with the community, and the DLC was small and sloppy and not worth the 10$ (at least in my opinion) that it was sold at.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That's an awesome summarypiratepilates. The only thing missing is specifying how the dev CEO posted on the marketing/dev blog "you all suck and your bitching is making me sad so we're not going to talk to you anymore" and then came back the next week, opening with "I got a phone call from Sweden [i.e. from Paradox] and...", the latter being an actual verbatim quote. That's gotta be mentioned. :allears:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

City skylines 2 doesn’t have bridges yet ??

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Does it even have the skylines?!?!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
it barely has cities

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
It did have 2 though! FPS on release

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

I played for a couple of hours last night. My 26 year old hacker/mechanic pilot guy boarded a ship with a bunch of broken parts, tossed what would fit into his tiny ship on the floor, then I crashed into something near (or maybe the actual) the main station and bounced off and drifted for about a day unable to repair my nav console because I didn't have a screen until the ship seemed to hit something else and broke apart into a thousand pieces.

It took awhile for me to figure out but the main station is actually on a moon of Jupiter. You hit the moon. Same thing happened to me when I was disassembling a wreck and we slowly drifted and crashed into it when I was preoccupied.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Did Stranded Alien Dawn ever get good?

I'm lukewarm on Rimworld.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

It took awhile for me to figure out but the main station is actually on a moon of Jupiter. You hit the moon. Same thing happened to me when I was disassembling a wreck and we slowly drifted and crashed into it when I was preoccupied.

oh my god.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

as for general salvage tips:
Working components are worth much more than broken ones. You can scrap broken ones for parts to use to repair other broken ones back to functionality. Wrecks are also usually littered with a lot of components.
As for salvage value here's a rough list in descending value.
Reactors > Nav consoles > heaters/coolers/co2 scrubbers > intakes/rcs units/pumps > gas canisters/doors
Small sensors are cheap and easy to remove too, like the n2/o2/co2/thermostats. they arent worth much but they're easy to remove and you can haul a lot of them.
Disassembling the walls and floors to sell isnt worth it, but you'll want to do it to expand your own ship. Or if you find a nice ship with a carpeted interior so you can jazz up your ship.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wait I can just make my ship bigger with the walls? :aaaaa:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Wait I can just make my ship bigger with the walls? :aaaaa:

Yup! Find a big derelict, knock a hole in its hull (to allow you to access the outside of your ship while it's docked), then do your expansions to your ship (leave one wall unconstructed until the last minute), seal yourself in the new expansion, and knock down one of the former outer walls of your ship.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah. Ships in the game are ridiculously primitive devices. As long as you have nav, life support (optional), thrust, fuel for that thrust and battery power it'll work. Balancing your ship or making sure it has enough thrusters etc does not seem to be a consideration. And if all you want is space to store junk you can rapidly install large sections of cargo webbing to your ship for more haulage.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ah, so it's like the ships in Space Engineers

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really really like the part of the Space Engineers where you have to figure out and fix complex ship.
Not so much the rest of the game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I like building a movable base, either rover or spaceship, and designing factory setups, , I just wish there was a reason for it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

LLSix posted:

I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I can see where I'd want more from it, and it definitely isn't perfect, but when you settle into a scenario it feels really good without letting you get too complacent.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

LLSix posted:

I'm playing it right now and I like it, however if you are lukewarm on Rimworld, you are never going to like Stranded: Alien Dawn.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Two days ago I paused in Captain of Industry, planning on cleaning up my oil production. 48 hours later I still haven't unpaused.

Now I remember why I burned out on my first CoI game. Naphtha processing is brutal!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Two days ago I paused in Captain of Industry, planning on cleaning up my oil production. 48 hours later I still haven't unpaused.

Now I remember why I burned out on my first CoI game. Naphtha processing is brutal!

Pretty sure this unbuilt thing is going to take more resources than my entire factory. I'm just about to re-do my manufacturing because I've unlocked the T3 science so I need to make those, and I don't have space in my current build to add it other than as a truck-fed only thing somewhere else. So timing says now is the time to build a new area and tear the old one done.

After I've done that I'll need to start exploring the new techs like water reclamation and recycling as well as the more advanced oil stuff that you are already doing based on your mention of Naptha which I certainly don't have! I'm recycling heavy and light oil to make diesel is as advanced as my oil is.

Edit: Also I almost never pause, I just design & build stuff while my factory is running and making parts to construct the new stuff.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Honestly I haven’t needed to get beyond a single oil refinery set. I’m reprocessing byproducts into Diesel of course but as soon as I unlocked Mega Vehicles I started replacing everything with hydrogen excavators and trucks, fueled by a big electrolysis farm running of of nuclear power.

Now I’m only burning Diesel to run my two-slot crude tanker and to make Rubber (there’s another ship exporting surplus sulfur and importing Sludge to turn into Fuel Gas and Compost but it’s running on Heavy Oil which I need to change someday).

Down to 1 pollution from vehicles and 4 air pollution from my exhaust reprocessing setup (there’s one building somewhere which is still venting exhaust, I need to track that down someday too). I set up CO2 sequestration pumps, even, to handle the reprocessing output (and I need to route CO2 from poo poo like ethanol and gas kilns there as well someday, maybe shave a pollution off for that and another for the exhaust fix). Fewer than two dozen Diesel vehicles left, most of those because they’re slated for upgrade to Dump Trucks instead of side grade to hydrogen-fueled Trucks.

Loans are really cool. I haven’t needed one on centuries but a couple of times early on I was able to rapidly pull out of a maintenance spiral instead of falling very far before pulling back up by borrowing a bunch of Copper.

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
i put a few hours into CoI earlier this week and enjoying it enough. I think the finiteness of everything is really messing with me in a way that DSP and Factorio didn't, because I knew I could always go further out if I ran out of a resource. Is it spoiler-y to explain how I'm going to get around this? I feel like my biggest issue right now is that more than either if DSP or Factorio I have no loving clue what my factory is going to look like 10 techs down the road. the sense of scale is way different

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just set the off island “colonies” to infinite

However, once you get recycling up and running at max , you use a lot less of everything

The top tier nuclear plant is a Magic one that creates its own fuel also

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

With finite resources you're eventually going to engage in long term trade agreements with other islands, which are both infinite and a net positive for you.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

1) there’s more of basically everything already on your map than you’ll ever need. Except crude oil, basically to force the player to get used to building and running an import pier.

2) recycling is a big deal, if you can afford to put 5 Unity into those edicts then 90% of the time when your population uses something you’ll get unsorted recycling back. I can almost always afford that once I’ve unlocked them; upgraded housing and food variety both get you silly amounts of the stuff.

3) definitely set off-map deposits to infinite. There’s also more there than you’ll ever need when limited but it feels much better.

I started on the back side of the Gold Peak map and I’m actually running out of places to excavate excess rock, both to keep concrete going and for fill. Lots of slag is getting crushed for concrete as well which also limits on-map fill generation. I think I’m about to start importing rock from the off-map quarry, for the first time ever.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

finally got a computer that can run it so wicked pumped to try captain of industry before i buy i had one or 2 questions:

is there a sandbox/freebuild mode?

can you build/issue orders while paused?

if you death spiral is it always fixable and/or fairly obvious early on? (I hate making some bad decisions in the first hour or 2 of a game for example that will gently caress you over at hour 50)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's exclusively sandbox, you can do anything with the game paused, and sometimes but death spirals usually happen because you're not paying attention to something. The game has super helpful alerts on storage you can set to ping when it drops below a certain percentage and this goes a long way to make sure you're at least aware of the fact that your water/fuel/food/whatever is dropping. You can pin resources to the side of the screen too which gives you a very clear indication of your stock of things and whether it's increasing or decreasing. But even then there's fail states that come fast because multiple things dry up simultaneously.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

COI is always freeplay, there's no campaign, and the game is super lenient about letting you pause to work. In fact it actually has a separate set of autosaves that only trigger/overwrite while paused so you don't lose progress if your game crashes or your house loses power while you were setting up your Ultimate Oil Refinery (Final)(Version 3)(Actually Final I Swear).

Death Spirals are not always obvious but are usually fixable. What really helps is setting alerts on various storage buildings: you know something has gone horribly wrong if the poo tank between your settlement and your sewage plant is filling up. Or if you're running short of machine parts for maintenance. The game has some set already but a bit of thought into more alerts can give you enough time to turn a death spiral into a little whoopsie.

Also remember that while the resources on the maps are very clearly used up over time they're all actually way more massive than you think. It takes work to actually use up more than one or two deposits by the time you reach end-game as it currently is. Oil is the only real exception as you're meant to scramble a bit to set up off-shore drilling or start trading. Even then once you use up a resource on your island you have off shore mines/drills which can be set to unlimited, OR you can start doing contracts to trade with other settlements which are all absolutely unlimited.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thanks everyone just bought that bad boy im really excited for this one ive been wanting a factory game just in a real world non-sci fi setting forever!!

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I think I finally have a real nice oil setup that's compact and foolproof, but gently caress me if I can figure out a food situation that isn't a spaghetti hell. Too many overlapping products are making it hard to arrange a anything cleanly, and I haven't even gotten to snack foods, canola, or poppy. And that's not counting crop balancing being a nightmare.

How much water do farms actually need? Some comes from rain, but I think that's deducted from what it says on the tin.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Enigma posted:

I think I finally have a real nice oil setup that's compact and foolproof, but gently caress me if I can figure out a food situation that isn't a spaghetti hell. Too many overlapping products are making it hard to arrange a anything cleanly, and I haven't even gotten to snack foods, canola, or poppy. And that's not counting crop balancing being a nightmare.

How much water do farms actually need? Some comes from rain, but I think that's deducted from what it says on the tin.
The answer for everything but potatoes is "some" so you can think of it not any more than you should plan for a water source as soon as feasible.

I think people have done closed loop studies to see how much rain actually falls on a field but the important part is to satisfy the "some" or your crops die and you need irrigation for that no matter how much water falls out of the sky.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
One thing about CoI's death spirals -- which definitely do exist -- is that you can usually recover without too much fuss. I ended up in the "wait, why is this building suddenly short on workers? wait, why is my food supply at 0 months? oh poo poo my groundwater reserve ran out" situation first time I played. I paused nonessential production and emergency built some rainwater collectors while doing some trades to tide me over until I could get desalination running.

Sure, half my population died in the famine and that would have been very sad ... if I couldn't just turn on the beacon and replace them after recovering. Plenty of refugees in the post-apocalyptic sea who just can't refuse the call of a good beacon.

Spirals happen if you overbuild and exhaust some perishable resource before getting its longer-lasting replacement up and running, but the time pressure is mild unless you dial the difficulty settings up. The game also makes it relatively easy to set alarms on critical resources like food, diesel, water, etc, and trading lets you cover sudden unexpected deficits in any particular good with something else.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Enigma posted:

From my game, about 2-3 water collectors per farm's worth or 1 groundwater pump per 3 farms.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Honestly I set up full desalinization for all my water needs and very rarely have I not been able to run all of their output through the same smart pipe splitter and down a couple of mk2/3 pipes, including the settlement’s drinking water. I build so farms are lowest on the distribution priority and use the first notice that I’ve lost a crop to drought as an indicator that we need more desalination.

I also beeline for water reprocessing: with large cooling towers your power plants are using only a quarter of the listed water (assuming you’ve prioritized the cooling tower re-input, which you have to do for your turbines not to back up anyway), and same for the settlement once you get the second water treatment tech. That’s the majority of your water consumption, cut off at the knees.

Some cooking requires water, and steel, and exhaust capture if you’re running it (also can be mitigated with cooling towers), but once you’ve got steam cooling and wastewater treatment your largest single water drain will be loving Concrete of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abuse balancers

They are the true magic tech of the game

When in doubt, put a balancer in