Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The best part is that after the update the balancers can be placed in the air! Pre-update they had to be on the ground which made things messy, especially with belts since this update added the vertical lifts. Before belts just had the lazy slopes that took up a lot of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Been building ul my factory also. I always try to keep things organized but as soon as the factory starts expanding its back to spaghetti! Periodically I try to clean the spaghetti up but it always comes back.

Also adding roads really helps keeping thing organized and prevents the spaghetti from blocking important truck lanes.

Im 200 years in and just got to red science, ive also just reached the point where I need to expand away from the starter iron and coal deposits. I'm playing on the new Armageddon map from start point 2. I like how I need to bridge over to the other islands to get at the extra resources there. I just wish running conveyor belts up built slopes wasn't such a pain.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah some of the things that people have done with the surfaces are wild. I'm in the official server and people post some great pics:

As for building belts/pipes up slopes: use the retaining walls. You don't HAVE to, stone and ore makes a steeper slope than the walls would, but they give you nice vertical surfaces to send vertical pipes and conveyor lifts up and down.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Alkydere posted:

Yeah some of the things that people have done with the surfaces are wild. I'm in the official server and people post some great pics:

As for building belts/pipes up slopes: use the retaining walls. You don't HAVE to, stone and ore makes a steeper slope than the walls would, but they give you nice vertical surfaces to send vertical pipes and conveyor lifts up and down.

My factory (still first game on starter map) is an ugly monstrosity compared to the screenshots like this, and that oil build earlier.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I mean that one's obviously end game since they have a golden statue of maintenance.

It's all about how much time you want to put into it. Also every factory starts ugly and gets better as more techs are unlocked/more space is cleared via tree cutting and terraforming.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Deconstruction has a pretty good refund, you can set it to 100% I'm options though which can be helpful when learning or if you just like moving things. Play how it's fun for you COI let's you do that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Planning your factory is for nerds

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What's the best spaghetti simulator out there? Is it still DSP?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can make some truly unholy spaghetti in Satisfactory.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

DSP has the saving grace of bots and drones that you can set up to avoid the absolute worst of it. Idk about Satisfactory, but the first Big Cleanup I usually end up doing is around the time I’m spooling up bots.

I do wish they came up earlier in the tech tree though, unless I’m actively trying for them I can usually brute-force my way to ILS (either via metadata, or just pushing hard on yellow cubes) and let that be for a good while.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SettingSun posted:

You can make some truly unholy spaghetti in Satisfactory.

I made that!! And left it for two days so I could finish the space elevator needs, it was so badly tuned.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You folks are trying to convince me to try CoI again aren’t you😀 That game was totally opaque to me last time I looked at it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm tempted to treat myself to COI since it does seem to be like Anno but with factory lines funneling all sorts of industrial crap into a residential block

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

CoI is good and despite the existence of annoying to recover death spirals, it is a very chill game. Just practice responsible expansion so you can support all the new population and trucks you are making.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
COI is fun, here's my little boy. I started organized but I keep having to add onto it. This is all going to get rebuilt at some point. To save my sanity, I play at 100% deconstruction resources because otherwise I'd spend way too much time in planning mode. This way I can just justify it by saying I lose nothing by rebuilding so just plop stuff down, it doesn't need to be perfect.

The death spirals can mostly be averted with loans of items and making lots of "low supply" alerts. I set up low supply alerts for all the major things. I haven't figured out some of the more advanced stuff, like the most efficient way to route items around by truck (local on-site storage and dedicated haulers, a sorter per mine and on-site storage vs central sorting location, when to use smaller trucks when to use larger ones, that kind of thing). I'm only in the 3rd tier of research and my people are eating potatoes and vegetables and I haven't even upgraded my diesel to the next tier yet, I'm still using basic distilling. I'm trying to unlock the next bit so I can skip a step.

Honestly, my absolute favorite aesthetic is Mt. Trashmore and building on your landfill. Just like in real life!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 20, 2024

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I’ve given up and decided to make a food bus. This time I will finally make cake and snacks.

Also, the new map could really do with trains or a river barge to move stuff around the crater.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah any foods you want to use the excess of to make something else, you should probably run through a belt so you can just use a Balancer. Most stuff can be churned down for Animal Feed, once you’re factory-farming chickens, and you need a very small amount of excess Fruit to make Cake.

Sugar goes into yellow medical supplies and Cake, you need to divert either Corn or Potatoes to make Chips. That kind of thing.

Once you start making Chips you might have to actually look at your Salt production: until that point a single evaporation pond feeding into a single basic loose storage is several times more than you’ll need.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah any foods you want to use the excess of to make something else, you should probably run through a belt so you can just use a Balancer. Most stuff can be churned down for Animal Feed, once you’re factory-farming chickens, and you need a very small amount of excess Fruit to make Cake.

Sugar goes into yellow medical supplies and Cake, you need to divert either Corn or Potatoes to make Chips. That kind of thing.

Once you start making Chips you might have to actually look at your Salt production: until that point a single evaporation pond feeding into a single basic loose storage is several times more than you’ll need.

My peasants will eat potatoes and their vegetables, and they will like it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Am I supposed to be growing multiple things per farm or is it more beneficial to just make more farms that make one thing? I have been dabbling with Veg/Wheat on the same farm and that seems to be going okay but wasn't sure if there's any other good combos I should be utilizing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

explosivo posted:

Am I supposed to be growing multiple things per farm or is it more beneficial to just make more farms that make one thing? I have been dabbling with Veg/Wheat on the same farm and that seems to be going okay but wasn't sure if there's any other good combos I should be utilizing.

I do potatoes, fertilizer weed thing, vegetables, fertilizer weed thing, repeat. I'll probably need to add another couple farms before I expand my ghetto again.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

explosivo posted:

You need very little Bread to satisfy your people, because they’ve for sure got Potatoes and probably also Corn since it doesn’t need processing, so starches are well-covered. Because of that you don’t need a ton of Wheat when you first start growing it, and Vegetables even when you’re also delivering Fruit are demanded in relatively higher quantities.

I’m growing extra Soybeans alongside my Wheat right now, and I’m still winding up with enough extra Wheat that it’s routinely helping keep the Chickens topped up. About 2600 population if I recall correctly.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

explosivo posted:

If you grow multiple things on a farm you get a bonus to soil fertility that offsets the time spent on another crop. So while you don't get as much of the crops you get more total food.

Alternatively you can just say "gently caress crop rotation!" and flood the fields with fertilizer. However running some form of crop rotation, even if it's green manure, will drastically reduce the amount of fertilizer used. The amount of fertilizer needed for extra soil fertility grows non-linearly: going from +20 to +30 fertility costs more fertilizer per point of fertility than going from +0 to +10.

Also bread is the most efficient carb food source. Even if you don't give them potatoes or corn and just fill that food group with only bread they'll only need about half as much as they eat veggies.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

explosivo posted:

It seems best to have at least two things in a farm, even if one is fallow. The hit to fertility is pretty severe with one crop on loop. You can power through that with fertilizer, but it’s inefficient. I do two per farm. I don’t know if there’s a reason to go with three or more, unless you really want to reduce the production of each crop, which is arguably more efficient but also fiddlier than I care to take it.

Two farms each making both potatoes and vegetables will yield more than one farm making potatoes with no rotation and one making vegetables with no rotation.

Specific combos are mostly about production rate. Some crops take longer to grow. The farm UI will give an average yield per minute, and you can pick and choose what to pair up based on hitting your desired production rates, give or take.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 20, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I did it, I made a COI thread for COI discussion. :)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Clanfolk got a new big update and I think I'm going to jump in again. A redone map generator, a lot of water-adjacent features, beavers. I really liked the game when I played it last which was awhile back now, but it was a tiny bit sparse. It probably still needs more love and its a real EA game (compared to the "EA, but really more of a complete beta.")

That said feels like it may be worth another look if you were ever on the fence about it.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 22, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1612770/Sweet_Transit/

Trains are out in 1.0
Anyone knows anything about it?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played and refunded it back when it first came out in EA because it felt super rough. I really have no idea about the current state of the game though

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Enhanced old Anno games now available on Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/AnnoHistoryEditions

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

explosivo posted:

I played and refunded it back when it first came out in EA because it felt super rough. I really have no idea about the current state of the game though

I also tried the early access version and had a mediocre time. It has great art and music though.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Jack Trades posted:

Trains are out in 1.0

I like it. It's an older Anno game crossed with Factorio trains and that's really it and exactly what I wanted from it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Trains are out in 1.0

I enjoyed all the puzzle levels which also act as a fairly good signalling tutorial and have aced them. However the game's start has always hit me with a mixture of feeling that it's not done with decision paralysis on how/where to expand. I'll probably come back to it at some point now that it's done-done. I feel the balance, at least at the start, is a little tight since everything costs maintenance so you gotta spend wood to get workers but you gotta spend workers to get wood until you have some additional happiness goods to make the worker houses produce more workforce.

A+ music, art and I love a couple of the small bits of humor (The church you build for happiness is a church dedicated to holy trains).

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Its definitely got some jank like mentioned above but the game is good enough imo to buy if you like train games, im enjoying it a lot. The dev is one dude iirc and really good at replying to suggestions/complaints and implementing them. it does feel like a few kinks need to be worked out but not enough to stop me playing/enjoying it.

its also great on deck if that influences anyones decisions

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Clanfolk got a new big update and I think I'm going to jump in again. A redone map generator, a lot of water-adjacent features, beavers. I really liked the game when I played it last which was awhile back now, but it was a tiny bit sparse. It probably still needs more love and its a real EA game (compared to the "EA, but really more of a complete beta.")

That said feels like it may be worth another look if you were ever on the fence about it.
Oh sure, drop this at the tail end of my first playthrough...

(I enjoy it a lot, but I can definitely see how it gets thin after the first couple years. Still recommend to anyone who likes chill colony builders/who want something vaguely based on Rimworld but without the combat/who sees a game where the linen making process includes like 6 steps and goes "hell yeah".)

The biggest changes seem to be the negotiation system(they teased it a while back, curious to see how it works in action) and needing to care about flammability at all(lightning can set fields on fire, meaning it's not just a matter of "toss a flammable blocker in the sparks zone for your fireplace" now, maybe). Negotiation does still only have the "single mom-to-be in need " event to work with for now, but it sounds like more is on the horizon.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Oh sure, drop this at the tail end of my first playthrough...

(I enjoy it a lot, but I can definitely see how it gets thin after the first couple years. Still recommend to anyone who likes chill colony builders/who want something vaguely based on Rimworld but without the combat/who sees a game where the linen making process includes like 6 steps and goes "hell yeah".)

The biggest changes seem to be the negotiation system(they teased it a while back, curious to see how it works in action) and needing to care about flammability at all(lightning can set fields on fire, meaning it's not just a matter of "toss a flammable blocker in the sparks zone for your fireplace" now, maybe). Negotiation does still only have the "single mom-to-be in need " event to work with for now, but it sounds like more is on the horizon.

I agree on both it being a little thin still but also on it being a colony sim that’s leaning a little more into the “complex” primitive survival of say, a Vintage Story. That’s really what grabs me - I love Rimworld for what it is, but this is a Rimworld where your challenge is instead surviving and making it more comfortable so that you can expand and be even more comfortable and surviveable - and not in a way that involves complex kill boxes and artillery.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I agree on both it being a little thin still but also on it being a colony sim that’s leaning a little more into the “complex” primitive survival of say, a Vintage Story. That’s really what grabs me - I love Rimworld for what it is, but this is a Rimworld where your challenge is instead surviving and making it more comfortable so that you can expand and be even more comfortable and surviveable - and not in a way that involves complex kill boxes and artillery.
Oh, same. I like Rimworld plenty but find the combat the least engaging part(but there's not quite enough to do on peaceful mode), so this is basically perfect.

I also appreciate QOL stuff like the no fuss manner of wall replacement, every construction that's not a wall/floor/roof(including things you might not think of at first, like windows) being able to be packed up to move easily, and every task having a built in "no seriously, do this now" button.

And most importantly, all the animals are cute as hell. :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bhodi posted:

This is all going to get rebuilt at some point.

Narrator: It was never rebuilt.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Enhanced old Anno games now available on Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/AnnoHistoryEditions

I'd be tempted but when i contemplate how much more annoying setting up trade routes is in 1404 vs 1800 I can't be bothered.
New Anno when.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It's probably gonna be another year or two off for a new Anno.

Personally I really hope it's future/sci fi honestly. Or, dunno, something magical. Anything but historical. Yet Another Middle Ages Europe Anno has been done to death and really can't match the vibrancy that 1800 had. Seriously, I'd love something space colony themed.

After that I really hope the 9th Anno is literally "Anno 9" and they do something around the Mediterranean sea.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Something tomorrow near future crisis would be neat. Sea levels and fires giving you the basis for building more future proofed cities etc. (or capitalist hellscapes that exacerbate the problem your choice, no judgements)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Alkydere posted:

After that I really hope the 9th Anno is literally "Anno 9" and they do something around the Mediterranean sea.

I know it does not fit constant archipelago theme, but would kill for Anno 1521 set in Mesoamerica, perhaps with religion as new mechanic and conquistadors as some sort of crisis mechanic.

Anything but another European history. Please no Rome, no Vikings.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Something tomorrow near future crisis would be neat. Sea levels and fires giving you the basis for building more future proofed cities etc. (or capitalist hellscapes that exacerbate the problem your choice, no judgements)

Isn't that just Anno 2070 with extra steps?