Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I played the Anno board game with friends a couple weeks back, and won pretty strongly. Maybe knowing all the videogame icons came in handy.

The way the board game works is at the beginning you get a hand of cards representing your citizenry's consumptive desires, and over the course of the game, you need to produce those goods to score the cards. Every time you get a worker, you get another card. The game ends when one person satisfies all his population, and then you count the score, which everybody else at the table interpreted as "oh god I gotta get rid of these cards and avoid getting more cards", but I just figured it was one of those games that really wants to go on way too long, which it was.

Other tips I have is it's great to have boats to be able to use your neighbors' production, and also it's good to have a production facility everyone wants to use so you get gold to keep things going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SlothfulCobra posted:

I played the Anno board game with friends a couple weeks back, and won pretty strongly. Maybe knowing all the videogame icons came in handy.

The way the board game works is at the beginning you get a hand of cards representing your citizenry's consumptive desires, and over the course of the game, you need to produce those goods to score the cards. Every time you get a worker, you get another card. The game ends when one person satisfies all his population, and then you count the score, which everybody else at the table interpreted as "oh god I gotta get rid of these cards and avoid getting more cards", but I just figured it was one of those games that really wants to go on way too long, which it was.

Other tips I have is it's great to have boats to be able to use your neighbors' production, and also it's good to have a production facility everyone wants to use so you get gold to keep things going

My video on the board game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaJ9DE6pT_w

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Against the Storm 1.3 update has released
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1336490/view/4181104663284039653

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Szarrukin posted:

Isn't that just Anno 2070 with extra steps?

Even if that is what we someday got, 2070 is one of the greats. I'll take it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I'm waiting on reception for Sweet Transit, it's either that or Captain of Industry for my next logistics game. Hope the former does model city growth when you supply them with goods, that's always my minimum requirement for a transport game

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

By that standard CoI isn’t a Transit game, the settlement in CoI is basically a much larger, and modular, factory building which generates workers and Unity, your instant-build resource, when you supply it with food and other goods. There aren’t even little population sprites wandering around the hoisin or anything like that.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
I just want a coi/factory builder anno hybrid, complex supply chains and conveyor belts in anno.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah nah, I don't mean to call COI a transport game, I meant that in relation solely to Sweet Transit compared to its peers in the subgenre. If ST doesn't cut it then I'll go for COI

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Sweet Transit is a pure sandbox game, right? No explicit win state? I have trouble getting in to games like that. I am feeling the train itch, though, so it might be time to hop back in to Railgrade and finish the campaign.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

SettingSun posted:

Even if that is what we someday got, 2070 is one of the greats. I'll take it.

Yeah I wouldn't say no to a retread of 2070 with the mechanics of 1800 as long as they also avoid all the dumb metagame always online stuff. I think they've learned that lesson at least.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The tutorial for Sweet Transit is kinda bad. I've had to demolish and reconstruct a bunch because my buildings aren't close enough to each other and also not close enough to the water or other things. Sweet game so far so I'll power through it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1817800/Oddsparks_An_Automation_Adventure/

Has anyone played this and have thoughts?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2696580/Urbek_City_Builder__Trains/

A new Trains DLC for Urbek was just released. I haven't looked at it yet, but it looks like it's a rather big addition.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

I've only played the first village tier but I think it's really neat. It gets bonus points for being fully controller supportive and running really great on the deck.

I am struggling with the paths but that's part of the puzzle and have reached a point where I need to decide if I want to keep having small bespoke factories or combine into a larger single setup. I have unlocked a few bits and bobs which would make combining feel pretty good I think and the next "logistics" unlock is sorters and "blockers" whatever they might be.

It's also cute as heck and the noises the little guys make are adorable.

Like I say I'm very early but the impression so far is very positive.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Hadn't heard of this. "Pikmin but with factorio" is an elevator pitch that I can absolutely get behind, though. Looks a little light on content for now so I'm going to wishlist it and keep an eye on it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Okay, anyone lamenting the lack of a new Anno should be playing Laysara: Summit Kingdom.

Just like Anno, it’s not really a city builder as much as a production chain builder. Citizens have needs, buildings fill those needs when a certain number of road spaces away, but need supplies from other buildings that gather resources. Of course, supply buildings need workforces which means you need more and better houses which means more supply and so expansion is always a constant.

There are a couple of major differences with Anno. First, there’s no oversea or timed transport. Every map is self contained, so all connections are instant and there’s no “I don’t know if the problem is a lack of production or a lack of ships or just that the wind changed direction”. Second, you don’t need to ‘evolve’ your citizens as much because you put down houses specific for each tier of worker; it’s only at the beginning of a game that you’ll place buildings that will get radically reformed later (because you don’t have the tech at the start to get buildings to where you want them). Third, the big constraint on you is space. You have very limited space to build in, so there’s a lot of re-arranging* and muddling to try and keep your chains functioning while also not wasting potential places buildings could be.

Technically the game is in Early Access, but they’ve stated it’s mechanic complete and all coming changes are UI/interface adjustment and additional scenarios, including a coming campaign.

I think it’s really neat, especially the completely non-European focus, but it’s also kicking my rear end on the hard setting.

*It will make Mayveena happy to hear that buildings can, cost-free, be fully rearranged and moved once placed.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

That DOES make me happy!!! I'm buying now :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Basebuilding Humble Bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/create-automate-manage

Includes Factory Town and Astro Colony

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone with impressions of Sweet Transit 1.0? I'm in the mood for management but if it's not up to spec I still have the latest Songs of Syx beta to try

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone with impressions of Sweet Transit 1.0? I'm in the mood for management but if it's not up to spec I still have the latest Songs of Syx beta to try

I'm enjoying it but it is in spite of itself. It is extremely Anno. Workers live in houses that have needs you fill with goods and services that they travel to work to. Everything has a range that you can extend with a train network, which operates exactly like Factorio's train system. And I mean exactly. Load/unload conditions, chain signals, blocks, the works. Importantly, you can name the trains.

I mentioned a few days ago that the tutorial really sucks. It did and still does. There is very little directly explained to the player and I've had to figure out a lot on the fly. Did you know that the warehouse needs to personally store building materials for you to build with them? No other storage will work, and it isn't intuitive how to move goods between storage buildings. Goods you ship by train are stored at the station and similarly to before need to be moved out of there, and you can't just request a storage building to get it. Goods need a market to distribute to people and THOSE buildings can request goods be delivered to them. You can have work sites low on workers and also have workers lacking jobs and the game will not inform you what the problem is with either building (likely, they are too far away from each other).

Music is weirdly good though. Has an old timey wild west saloon vibe.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Manor Lords is out in early access on Steam and GamePass. I'm just looking at the player numbers on Steam and the thing just goes. It's not even prime time in Europe yet.

https://steamdb.info/app/1363080/charts/

It already passed the all time player count for Cities: Skylines II.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hype chasing is exhausting. Game looks good, but a lot of people playing / wanting to play it is not an indication of quality (re: Palworld). It will generate a ton of user impressions though which ARE indications of quality.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Why has Manor Lords caught on so hard? I'm interested, but the response seems outsized.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pre-release hype via effective marketing/streamers & youtubers getting paid to talk about it if I had to guess.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Hooded Horse has good marketing and a good reputation for picking quality games to publish. It's been high up on most wishlisted for like over a year.

Game also looks good and fun.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I won't lie this review sold me on it.

Installing now, will report back.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I will try manored lords and report back

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Hype chasing is exhausting. Game looks good, but a lot of people playing / wanting to play it is not an indication of quality (re: Palworld). It will generate a ton of user impressions though which ARE indications of quality.

What? I love Palworld! Sure, it has no end game to speak of, thus the player fall off, but it will :)

Edit: it's major problem is that unlike Minecraft, its map is fixed. Thus no reason to replay it. I do wonder how they are going to address that.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 26, 2024

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

I will try manored lords and report back

Xbox PC is charging full price so make sure you get it from Steam. I joined Game Pass ultimate (already had it for the console) so it's only costing me $6 to try.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ive seen ambiguous amphibian say good things about manor lords and hes usually got a good opinion on these games

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Manor lords is all right. Very EA. Half the game play seems blocked which is very disappointing. Don’t really know what the point of it is beyond building a medieval village which is kind of boring

On the plus side it is very pretty. But you need to play at max speed for anything to happen which ruins the animations so .. lol idk

I’ll see if I can refund it

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

euphronius posted:

Manor lords is all right. Very EA. Half the game play seems blocked which is very disappointing. Don’t really know what the point of it is beyond building a medieval village which is kind of boring

On the plus side it is very pretty. But you need to play at max speed for anything to happen which ruins the animations so .. lol idk

I’ll see if I can refund it

That's my impression during demo. In the demo you build like 5 houses and a market, and it took a whole hour.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 26, 2024

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
More like Manure Lords amirite?
Jokes aside it looks good, but probably needs a lot more time to cook. Curse of early access.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I played for like 30 minutes on my lunch. Built some cute houses and set up basics. I liked the natural bendy roads and the sort of sim city zoning style of building residential buildings. Seems you can tool with it to make small close together neighborhoods or large wide open plots.

Im trying it more tonight
Will report back

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 26, 2024

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

My home internet is in serious crisis, I've been downloading Manor Lords for three hours and only half done sadly. Router rebooted several times, no help. Geezus. well I hope you all have fun with it!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm tempted to give Manor Lords a shot. Seems like the current state is early EA, seems promising, not a lot of content yet. Which seems not great for an asking price of $40(though it's launching on sale for $30)

Then again, maybe early access is moving away from the pay less early, pay more later model?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

EA sales models tend to follow trends. The current hotness is to debut at discount then keep it a steady price, maybe a sale for major updates. Lots of EA raises the price at 1.0. Factorio did, V Rising is about to do it, etc

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SettingSun posted:

EA sales models tend to follow trends. The current hotness is to debut at discount then keep it a steady price, maybe a sale for major updates. Lots of EA raises the price at 1.0. Factorio did, V Rising is about to do it, etc

Minecraft also did this I paid like $10 for my copy. This is really the better way to do it, reward early supporters, and if you have a good eye for promising games you can reduce your gaming budget.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I didn’t refund and kept at it. It’s depth is coming out a little bit more in the specialization of houses.

Again running the game so fast just nukes the animations which is a bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh gosh, a cute pikmin style automation game is basically my dream game. I'm definitely going to have to try this, but I'm curious about other people's experience too- is it very early access, or like a real game that's going to be getting more polish?