Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Mayveena posted:

My home internet is in serious crisis, I've been downloading Manor Lords for three hours and only half done sadly. Router rebooted several times, no help. Geezus. well I hope you all have fun with it!

Had this same problem on game pass, and then when I went to go launch it, it got a patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Hype chasing is exhausting. Game looks good, but a lot of people playing / wanting to play it is not an indication of quality (re: Palworld). It will generate a ton of user impressions though which ARE indications of quality.

hype chase is for putting stuff on your wishlist and waiting til it comes out of ea or you're swayed by a sale and put it on your library

where you wait til it comes out of ea

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Synthbuttrange posted:

hype chase is for putting stuff on your wishlist and waiting til it comes out of ea or you're swayed by a sale and put it on your library

I like watching a game evolve and like starting a new game save on major updates and compare them it's fun to see where it goes and if the devs start going in a direction you don't like at least you got to play it before it was ruined and got to experience that. There's some real trash and some genres this doesn't work well with but Management games are one that really work well with EA.

Don't slow roll a single player story game during EA unless you can make it have good stopping points that feel satisfying between updates and have an actual game plan.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The emphasis on tactical combat/expanding via conquest in the description is giving me pause - is Manor Lords actually focused on being a city builder, or is it a tactics game pretending it's a city builder? Steam reviews are worse than useless for trying to puzzle that out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Haifisch posted:

is Manor Lords actually focused on being a city builder, or is it a tactics game pretending it's a city builder?

Yes.

(Serious answer: "It's Banished but you can stab people" pretty much sums it up. It's Banished but you also can't ignore the tactical combat, so if that's not fun for you Manor Lords probably won't be fun for you.)

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Haifisch posted:

The emphasis on tactical combat/expanding via conquest in the description is giving me pause - is Manor Lords actually focused on being a city builder, or is it a tactics game pretending it's a city builder? Steam reviews are worse than useless for trying to puzzle that out.

From looking at virtually unedited LP's it's 95% city builder and 5% combat, and you can turn the combat off while you're setting up the scenario. There's not a whole lot to the combat, really, but it is a functional progress check.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Complications posted:

you can turn the combat off while you're setting up the scenario.

Huge if true. I missed that.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Manor lords had less combat than Caesar 3 or Anno 1800. Combat isn't here so you can paint the map, it's here as a resource sink for your peasants and their production lines.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I played long enough to build 5 house before work and I'll play more when I get home.

It looks really good and I get the sense that services don't need to be right next to homes to benefit from them. Alot of colony/city games have absurdity short distances between where people will live and services. Lazy peasants can't walk more than 4 feet to get a loaf of bread.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

Huge if true. I missed that.

Stealth17Gaming's video is where I'm pulling that from. It looks like there's a precanned scenario with no combat threats, and you can custom set no combat threats in the settings below.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

pixaal posted:

I like watching a game evolve and like starting a new game save on major updates and compare them it's fun to see where it goes and if the devs start going in a direction you don't like at least you got to play it before it was ruined and got to experience that. There's some real trash and some genres this doesn't work well with but Management games are one that really work well with EA.

Don't slow roll a single player story game during EA unless you can make it have good stopping points that feel satisfying between updates and have an actual game plan.

:same:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I'm enjoying it but it is in spite of itself. It is extremely Anno. Workers live in houses that have needs you fill with goods and services that they travel to work to. Everything has a range that you can extend with a train network, which operates exactly like Factorio's train system. And I mean exactly. Load/unload conditions, chain signals, blocks, the works. Importantly, you can name the trains.

I mentioned a few days ago that the tutorial really sucks. It did and still does. There is very little directly explained to the player and I've had to figure out a lot on the fly. Did you know that the warehouse needs to personally store building materials for you to build with them? No other storage will work, and it isn't intuitive how to move goods between storage buildings. Goods you ship by train are stored at the station and similarly to before need to be moved out of there, and you can't just request a storage building to get it. Goods need a market to distribute to people and THOSE buildings can request goods be delivered to them. You can have work sites low on workers and also have workers lacking jobs and the game will not inform you what the problem is with either building (likely, they are too far away from each other).

Music is weirdly good though. Has an old timey wild west saloon vibe.

Thanks for this, I can usually power through bad tutorials or UI so I think I might pull the trigger. Anno but with a logistics system whose moving parts you need to think about does sound real good

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

played a bit more, Theres a lot of potential and its a lot of fun. I like that houses themselves can become produces and refiners of resources. In fact the bakery house upgrade is better than the communal oven.

still havent fought with anybody yet.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hihohe posted:

played a bit more, Theres a lot of potential and its a lot of fun. I like that houses themselves can become produces and refiners of resources. In fact the bakery house upgrade is better than the communal oven.

still havent fought with anybody yet.

It's certainly quite pretty.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Manor Lords is great, really scratching a different itch I had from playing Rimworld, and it looks really pretty too. It's definitely early access though because the tutorials are basically useless and I basically just make it further each time through trial and error. I've had bandits come through and ruin my stuff a few times already. Militia can handle it but it's still annoying. There's only one map right now so the only major difference between games is which part of the map you start on.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Manor Lords is great, really scratching a different itch I had from playing Rimworld, and it looks really pretty too. It's definitely early access though because the tutorials are basically useless and I basically just make it further each time through trial and error. I've had bandits come through and ruin my stuff a few times already. Militia can handle it but it's still annoying. There's only one map right now so the only major difference between games is which part of the map you start on.

Fertility and resource placement is random every game, the only thing that is static is the starting roads, forest, and region borders.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope the gamepass version is updated as much as the steam one, because i heard other EA games on gamepass are often behind on patches.

I am finding it hard as hell to feed everyone once i got above 25 population. The farms I have don't produce enough and fast enough to make bread and the game and berries i get aren't enough to build up a stockpile.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Played a little manor lords, it's gamepass so maybe I'm way behind patchwise.

Seemed alright I guess? It's still way too early in early access to get too much of an impression. Not sure there's enough content to really get a sense if the game is good, but it looks pretty and has a sleek UI.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tried out Laysara: Summit Kingdom. It's definitely Anno but unlike Steamworld: Build it does some interesting things with the mechanics instead of just being a straight copy.

I found it interesting that unlike in Anno 1800 upgrading houses doesn't give you a higher tier of population. Instead it gives you more of the same tier, which lets you start stacking up dense populations. Money is made via donation centers, which work entirely off of # of population in your range, and trading with other mountains.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I gave this a try yesterday and it's pretty fun. The core mechanic is your Sparks, little creatures that you use to do everything except the most basic resource gathering early on. You have a group of them following you, which you can manually command to harvest resources or attack wild creatures. But more importantly, they're also your automation power source and logistics.

You assign sparks to work in the production buildings, and then build paths between them and assign sparks to walk endlessly along those paths, picking up and delivering resources as they go along. You can add various conditionals to the paths to control the flow.

There are different types of sparks and while most of them can do any job, some are better at it than others. The Carry spark for instance carries two items at a time so is better at logistic, while the Crafty spark makes machines work slightly faster. Cutty sparks harvest trees faster and do more damage to enemies, and are necessary to take down larger trees that other sparks can't.

I really enjoyed the art style and the factory building. If I were to complain about something it's that the early progression is rather linear. You do quest 1 to unlock tech which allows you to complete quest 2 which unlocks tech necessary to complete quest 3 and so on, but I also didn't make it out of the first area yet so it's possible that it opens up into more free form later.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I hope the gamepass version is updated as much as the steam one, because i heard other EA games on gamepass are often behind on patches.

I am finding it hard as hell to feed everyone once i got above 25 population. The farms I have don't produce enough and fast enough to make bread and the game and berries i get aren't enough to build up a stockpile.

Trade for food I think is the way

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oddsparks report: It's good and cute!

It's exactly what I expected- Pikmin gameplay with basic automation and a really cute style.

Having little guys walking back and forth on roads is very satisfying and has some nice logistics challenges that are satisfying to fix.

For instance I had some little guys chopping a tree making logs, and some little guys in workshops refining those logs, but I also needed the raw logs to make more little guys, and the refined wood to upgrade those guys. I could only put the guy-maker and the tree cutter in certain places so they were pretty far apart and it took the little guys ages to walk back and forth down their little road. The wood processing I could put right next to the tree. I had it set up so that the guys dropped their logs at the processing place and then took the long road to the guy maker if the processer was full. This took ages as all my little guys would walk the full length of the road with empty hands after dropping the wood off at the processors. So I set up a gate that only let little guys with wood pass, so they'd walk back and forth between the tree and the wood processor quickly, back and forth to fill it up, and only if they had a piece of wood would they make the long trek to the guy maker.

That's a very simple overflow setup, but it was satisfying to figure out.

It's nice that, so far, there appears to be no limit to the number of little guys you can make, so you can brute force any issue you're having. Just throw stack after stack of stumpies at an enemy. Completely saturate a path across the whole map with a hundred guys carrying things. Optimizing combat or logistics is a matter of aesthetics, which I appreciate.

Collateral Damage posted:

I really enjoyed the art style and the factory building. If I were to complain about something it's that the early progression is rather linear. You do quest 1 to unlock tech which allows you to complete quest 2 which unlocks tech necessary to complete quest 3 and so on, but I also didn't make it out of the first area yet so it's possible that it opens up into more free form later.
Yeah, the first few quests are kinda odd. They're basic progression but you have to go back and talk to someone in town after each step. It has a little better verisimilitude than putting beakers into domes- you're actually giving materials to people who are helping you- but I don't think this kind of game needs that kind of justification for progress. It's pretty gamey and that's fine. But I guess it does kind of make it more cozy to be talking to people who are interested in what you're doing? The cozy vibes are important. At least for the introductory missions it could have been streamlined a bit more I guess.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So the more I play with Laysara, the more I'm enjoying what they did. I do feel it could use some UI work since having to link every building to its inputs and outputs is fiddly, but I love that it lets you have that control.

As a side note one thing the tutorial does explain poorly is that EVERY distribution center can split outputs. Normally production buildings cannot split output, but once you link them to a distribution building they can split the output as needed. The tutorial has you split the output with the Lowlander (lowest pop tier) building send it a long ways with the Artisan one. It's probably better to use the lower tier ones when possible but the artisan (and the later monk one) can absolutely split. Which is something I've used to save space and make a massive farm producing barley for beer on a lowland plateau and send the wheat and barley where its needed while saving space close to the markets for more population.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is this the thread for “Manor Lords”?

I am hype!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I was hooked on Foundation for a long time. I've been looking forward to Manor Lords and will see if my lappy top can run it without overheating.

The perfect game for me would be a slowly growing idyllic village I can afk and watch its inhabitants bustle about. Manor Lords is gorgeous, but Foundation might be closer to what I'm looking for, although building complex castles, cathedrals, and monasteries is a royal pain despite being a huge draw.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bell_ posted:

I was hooked on Foundation for a long time. I've been looking forward to Manor Lords and will see if my lappy top can run it without overheating.

The perfect game for me would be a slowly growing idyllic village I can afk and watch its inhabitants bustle about. Manor Lords is gorgeous, but Foundation might be closer to what I'm looking for, although building complex castles, cathedrals, and monasteries is a royal pain despite being a huge draw.

Yea, i got the itch for medieval colony sim and was playing foundation a lot before Manor Lords came out. Its a lot more of a chill village sim that anything.

euphronius posted:

Trade for food I think is the way

I set up a trade route to sell planks, but the merchent never buys them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Alkydere posted:

So the more I play with Laysara, the more I'm enjoying what they did. I do feel it could use some UI work since having to link every building to its inputs and outputs is fiddly, but I love that it lets you have that control.

As a side note one thing the tutorial does explain poorly is that EVERY distribution center can split outputs. Normally production buildings cannot split output, but once you link them to a distribution building they can split the output as needed. The tutorial has you split the output with the Lowlander (lowest pop tier) building send it a long ways with the Artisan one. It's probably better to use the lower tier ones when possible but the artisan (and the later monk one) can absolutely split. Which is something I've used to save space and make a massive farm producing barley for beer on a lowland plateau and send the wheat and barley where its needed while saving space close to the markets for more population.

On the Monks do I need to put a food market and food nearby? Or will that be sent up the shaft? Or just what? :)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

All houses need a food market nearby to give them food stuffs. The food and goods markets serve houses X tiles away depending on road tier.

However once you get tech level 1 you can put the actual food production buildings a million miles away.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Is this the thread for “Manor Lords”?

I am hype!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4059345

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Bell_ posted:

Check out Fabledom. It's in EA, but almost done, and releasing in May.

Farthest Frontiers is also nice in the idyllic growing village with people running around, but you get attacked every once in a while, so you can't go AFK completely.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Alkydere posted:

All houses need a food market nearby to give them food stuffs. The food and goods markets serve houses X tiles away depending on road tier.

However once you get tech level 1 you can put the actual food production buildings a million miles away.

Keep in mind that the number of people who work in the building is scaled to how far they have to lug poo poo, and as you need to move more poo poo through that same transport, you'll need even more workers. So put at least a little thought into how to centralize production so you're not transporting literally from one side of the mountain to the other.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

Keep in mind that the number of people who work in the building is scaled to how far they have to lug poo poo, and as you need to move more poo poo through that same transport, you'll need even more workers. So put at least a little thought into how to centralize production so you're not transporting literally from one side of the mountain to the other.

That explains so much. Like where my workforce and money kept going! So that is what the Monk version is for. I did notice that the donation shrine needed more artisans as they had to keep up with more population.

I got to building the shrine in the Talon map and then just threw my hands up in frustration because the final result was such a rat's nest. You had to build basically jewel encrusted pillars (fancier versions of the ones needed for the advanced monk science building) and it took me like 10 minutes to find the production chain for that (it's a tiny little thing under the Resource tab).

Also with the exception of 2 maps (one has them at max from the start, one has them off but has no fertile lowland plateaus) avalanches get stronger over time. So forests need to be backed up by avalanch walls and you'll start using big ol' foghorns to reduce their strength.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

skeleton warrior posted:

Check out Fabledom. It's in EA, but almost done, and releasing in May.

Farthest Frontiers is also nice in the idyllic growing village with people running around, but you get attacked every once in a while, so you can't go AFK completely.

I really like Farthest Foundation, but i find it super hard to keep everyone fed and all the service buildings have insanely short ranges you need to place them down everywhere. i dunno what it is with farms in that game, you put down a ton and produce thousands of units of food, but everyones always on the verge of starvation. Its like they eat all the food as soon as they can so none stays in the storerooms.

But its graphically really nice and having a big down really looks like a big town.

I had not heard of fabledom, but that looks fun as hell.

Also, I'll recommend Going Medieval. Its a voxel based game so you can do a lot of fun stuff with building and terraforming. I like doing mountain maps where i flatten out the land and make it green. Sometimes it does seem to take forever to do anything, and sometimes you think you've got a supported structure when its not and suddenly your massive underground area is now fully open to the sky. Also villagers arrive very slowly for some reason so you end up getting stuck at 8 for years. But still, its super fun and i really love how much freedom it gives you. They've added a ton to the game over the years, with water being a big one.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 28, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

how fleshed out ins Farthest Frontier? I've been waiting for it to un-EA

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

victrix posted:

how fleshed out ins Farthest Frontier? I've been waiting for it to un-EA

I haven’t played the latest patch that feels substantial but the last time I played it felt Pretty Done. I think there’s still some vagueness in saying that - it doesn’t have a crazy robust “end” game if you aren’t attracted to a more cosmetic rearranging and building of your city. Maybe the combat update has helped this somewhat, but I’m not convinced.

This isn’t to say it’s bad, it has a solid “settler to city” arc but it definitely feels like once you’re even reasonably wealthy and stable in the later tiers there isn’t too much that can upset that and there’s no “build a wonder and end” type of thing. It feels like a prettier vanilla Banished with a little more combat and some slight improvements and depth here or there. For me that’s a high compliment, but YMMV.

E: also I should say the “arc” of building is solid, but successfully doing that once, and maybe again on hard, is probably a 10 hour save each. If you’re looking for a “sink 200 hours in” game you had best be attracted to its aesthetics and want to lean into it creatively, imo.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 28, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm a bit more goal oriented so Against the Storm style loops are more my bag, thanks for the info

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ty - game looks fun

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

twistedmentat posted:

I really like Farthest Foundation, but i find it super hard to keep everyone fed and all the service buildings have insanely short ranges you need to place them down everywhere. i dunno what it is with farms in that game, you put down a ton and produce thousands of units of food, but everyones always on the verge of starvation. Its like they eat all the food as soon as they can so none stays in the storerooms.

You can lose a lot of food to spoilage if you're not preserving it by smoking or pickling it. Different food spoils at different rates, so grains and root veg keep for a while but fresh greens and raw meat spoil quickly.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Synthbuttrange posted:

Unless it's something like Software Inc, which will be in EA until approximately 2045

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

stuck on pine sapling. Please send help :)
Not stuck anymore, was trying to get the spark to log a too big tree

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 28, 2024