Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Slickdrac posted:

Unless it's something like Software Inc, which will be in EA until approximately 2045

Adding more stuff no one asked for, like hardware and consoles, instead of addressing the fact that it's apparently impossible to be a one person company that can make something small but useful and saleable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Polikarpov posted:

You can lose a lot of food to spoilage if you're not preserving it by smoking or pickling it. Different food spoils at different rates, so grains and root veg keep for a while but fresh greens and raw meat spoil quickly.

Yea I mostly produce root vegetables and meat goes to the smoker before anything else.

I should give it another go, it's been a while.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I mostly produce root vegetables and meat goes to the smoker before anything else.

I should give it another go, it's been a while.

Try it out, come back with what's not working and we can try and talk through it.

In general, I do find food super tough the first five years; you really need 3 - 4 hunter/fishers right away, and then it's a long wait until you have enough people to support farms and then enough time to have cleared out the farm (to build them) and then to have cleared out the farm (from rocks and weeds). You have to be careful about not going hog wild with all of the useful production buildings you can put out right away because you need so many of your first 30 people to just be farming.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Yeah farms are a multi-year investment. You have to clear the field, then pick rocks and plant clover for a couple years to get fertility up to a decent level before you start your crop rotation.

If fertility is too low farming can be net negative in that game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Steam Farm Fest is on until May 4. Haven't looked hard at it, but hopefully there's some good demos in there.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

skeleton warrior posted:

Keep in mind that the number of people who work in the building is scaled to how far they have to lug poo poo, and as you need to move more poo poo through that same transport, you'll need even more workers. So put at least a little thought into how to centralize production so you're not transporting literally from one side of the mountain to the other.

One thing I'm not clear on here - what is the advantage of moving up to the higher tier distribution buildings? It says that the work is being done by monks and yaks, which seems like they're generally higher upkeep than lowlanders, so... ????

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Do you want to shave those yaks yourself?

:v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rustys Retirement looks interesting and a great way to lower my productivity even further

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The proliferation of these toolbar games that only take up a third of the screen is neat to me. Laser targeted productivity killers.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So someone finally invented a cozy factory game and it's oddspark. For certain. Thanks for the recommendation, my grown son is really enjoying it. I keep getting stuck but I'll continue to play.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

One thing I'm not clear on here - what is the advantage of moving up to the higher tier distribution buildings? It says that the work is being done by monks and yaks, which seems like they're generally higher upkeep than lowlanders, so... ????

The mid-tier distribution has a base cost in artisans, and then an accelerating cost in artisans as you move farther/more. The high-tier distribution has a base cost in monks, and then a smaller accelerating cost in yaks as you move farther/more.

At tech level 0-2, yeah, mid-tier distribution is the right choice. But once you get the higher level of yak building, usually three things are happening: you're usually stressing over trying to get enough artisans; usually you've solved monks for your research levels, which gives you a bunch of excess monks; and the mid-tier yak building is cheap and easy to set up and you can have a huge number of yaks. Then once you get Yak Utopias, well, yaks are super cheap for a while. (Until perfume starts to be an issue.)

Don't think of it as a strict advantage. Think of it as options. Use yaks on your biggest, longest routes, and be amazed at the number of artisans you get back. Use those artisans for smaller, easier routes rather than assign monks (who you have excess of, but not enough to go all-monk-yak travel).

Or go fully into the spirit of the game and think of it as ying-yang, a balance that must be maintained as each plays their part where they are designed to fit.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Played a bunch of manor lords today. Made it to the year 2 battle and claimed a second plot. Seems very slow and a lot of ui elements are missing that makes gameplay a bit frustrating until you figure it out and even then the lack of useful ui is annoying.

Started in a region with no usable farm land, but i guess having to wait 2 years before you can get a second stable food supply is normal with the way farms work.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SettingSun posted:

The proliferation of these toolbar games that only take up a third of the screen is neat to me. Laser targeted productivity killers.

There are others? They dont seem to have a tag or genre name yet. could you share some?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2788870/Mini_Settlers_Prologue/

Which game does this remind me of?
I swear I've played a different minimalist city builder/management game with practically exact same art style before but I can't remember it's name.

EDIT: Masterplan Tycoon

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 1, 2024

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Foundry comes out tomorrow, looking forward to it. I bought the itchio version and have added the steam key they provided.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 1, 2024

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mayveena posted:

So someone finally invented a cozy factory game and it's oddspark. For certain. Thanks for the recommendation, my grown son is really enjoying it. I keep getting stuck but I'll continue to play.

I'd been eyeing that and checked it out after you post, seems pretty good so far. Hopefully it stays interesting.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Foundry comes out tomorrow, looking forward to it. I bought the itchio version and have been promised a steam key, hope it happens tomorrow as well.

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked for this. Had a factory game itch after finishing up the latest PoE season but was holding out for this. I played about an hour of the demo a few months ago and stopped not wanting to burn out on it before EA release. I hope it's fleshed out enough that there's something to do in the 'end game'. I liked it better than Techtonica because you weren't (at least not at the start) stuck in a cave.

Very interested in Oddspark but it seems like the content is a little thin at the moment. Gonna wishlist that one and keep an eye on their patches in the future.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

There are others? They dont seem to have a tag or genre name yet. could you share some?

The other one I am most familiar with is Desktopia

I think there are more. I'll ask my partner since she is the one who's playing them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Oddspark devs say 15-20 hours are in the game. It'll be more for me as I'll replay it (it's procedurally generated) to keep optimizing.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What's the main deviations of Foundry from Satisfactory (or Factorio, other than pov)?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's more of a minecraft randomly generated world (complete with the water physics) without as much of a focus on exploration. I think it plays cleaner than satisfactory. You have factorio style recursive handcrafting, and the power floors and block based construction mean you're not spending as much time making fiddly clicks as satisfactory.

As compared to factorio, it's 3d, and there's no biters. That's about the main difference. You can also dig out big underground mines to find advanced resources. That's pretty neat. You can tell from playing that the devs are heavily inspired by factorio and modded minecraft.

The one thing I don't like is the way the building ui works. Each building has a physical control panel that you need to control via an in world interface. idk why they went with that over the standard "click on the building from any angle and you get a 2d ui element"

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 1, 2024

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

The one thing I don't like is the way the building ui works. Each building has a physical control panel that you need to control via an in world interface. idk why they went with that over the standard "click on the building from any angle and you get a 2d ui element"
i prefer this way to be honest. a feeling of physicality is important for these minecraft modpack inspired games - its one of the ways they can be better than just booting up gregtech or something.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mayveena posted:

Foundry comes out tomorrow, looking forward to it. I bought the itchio version and have added the steam key they provided.

I got that email and I figured I'd add it to my Steam pile just because it'll be easier to keep ahold of than the itch.io version.

Then I saw Trupen and Real Civil Engineer put out a video and I'm now frustratingly hyped up and want it to come out TODAY! I'm off today! I'm also off tomorrow but think of the entire day I'm wasting not playing the game!

totalnewbie posted:

What's the main deviations of Foundry from Satisfactory (or Factorio, other than pov)?

From what I've seen it's basically Factorio + Minecraft. The entire world is voxel which makes things a lot easier and cleaner to set up than Satisfactory's more fiddly stuff because everything is going to be on a 3D grid. Honestly from what it looks like, it's a lot more like some of the factory mods for Minecraft, like Thermal Expansion or Create or even *gasp* Gregtech expanded out to a more Factorio sized scale and balancing (Thermal Expansion, Mek, and Create have relatively short advancement, Gregtech is 3D Pyanadon's and just...goes forever).

Also unlike Satisfactory, the procedural, voxel world means everything is destructible. So it's not just the same (admittedly absolutely beautiful) world every single time.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Completely agree! I'm pretty far into it now, probably on the last tier of current content in Oddsparks. It's just lovely.

I'd say the game it reminds me of most is actually Autonauts, only cuter and much less janky, with a much more interesting gameplay loop. Compared to Autonauts there's no fiddly programing of you helper guys- your sparks just work in buildings or walk down roads. Of course the fiddly programing was the whole appeal of Autonauts, but if you liked the whole cozy vibe but wanted a more polished experience with fewer fiddly parts, Oddsparks is worth a look.

I'm impressed by how the game gives you new tools at exactly the right time. There are geographical concerns- certain production buildings can only be put in certain places- and I was just getting to the point where I was like "this game needs trains" and they introduced a spark that can carry a whole stack but takes up the whole road (usually sparks can walk past each other on either side of a path), and it was perfect for the new logistical needs the new areas had.

Another example- just when I was getting tired of carrying around so many different building materials to set up new production lines, in addition to all the sparks I needed for different tasks, they introduce a remote storage chest that you can always access for the purposes of crafting. You can set one of these up at the end of each of your basic material production lines and never have to carry basic materials again. They're slightly balanced by the fact that you need items that drop from enemies to craft them, so you can't just spam them everywhere.

The combat is... tolerable. It's simplified Pikmin. You send your guys in to attack and pull them out when there's trouble. It works. And you can just overcome anything by throwing wave after wave of guys at it- if you've got a productive enough factory you can afford to overcome most challenges with raw numbers.

It's just engaging enough to give you an incentive to build an army of the little swords guys, and the rewards are worthwhile. Every guy you make needs a pink gem (or a guy that had been made with a pink gem), and only enemies drop the gems. You can't just set up an endless production line of sparks, you need to kill enemies to make new guys (Pikmin style). If that sounds obnoxious, it's not, because more difficult enemies drop clumps of gems, and bosses drop clumps of clumps of gems. I had a distant guy-making factory that wasn't near a fast travel point, so I set it up where I could drop off these clumps of clumps in a box that would be transported across the map where it would be rendered down into dozens of pink gems to power the factory for a while, and eventually the finished guys would be brought back to where I dropped off the gems. It took time, but it was really satisfying to set something up that, at the end of the day, was two boxes- one where I put these boss clumps, and another where I collect my guys a while later, knowing that there was a vast factory sprawling across the map to accommodate it.

The game is not without flaws. I'm still not sure about the research system being talking to people in town. It involves a lot of running around and dropping items off. In fact, running around and dropping items off at your factories is often the ideal way of making progress, which seems like a bad thing for an automation game. Just take a dozen stacks of X and drop it off at a factory that makes Y, without any concern for logistics or actually supplying that factory long term. It works pretty often in the early game.

It's also kind of light on content at the moment. The villagers stop talking at the end of the woodlands content, which is basically a simple area to get you used to the game (they still give progress, but don't have any flavor text, which was the whole point of having them I thought). The mountains are the only other biome, but there is actually a fair bit of content there, I kept thinking "well, this is it, that was fine" but then opening up a new tier with more interesting tools.

Still, there's very clearly room for more biomes out there, and the tools to make expanding out there a fun challenge. I like how much long distance logistics there ends up being, so I'm looking forward to future content that's way out there.

I'm really looking forward to future updates. This game has a lot of potential!

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 1, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Oddsparks is super fun. Nice style, decent enough controls, building and setting up things is pretty easy and feels good. There's no time pressure and very little resource pressure so you're mainly spending time building or re-routing your stuff to solve the next quest problem or make your current stuff more efficient. Quest progression is pretty linear but in combination with the gameplay it's set up to absolutely wreck you with dopamine if you have adhd brain, which might be a good or bad thing.

There's a reasonable amount of current gameplay but it's definitely still early, and the map feels a little unfinished - not just that there are only two current biomes, but the existing biomes feel like they could maybe use a little fine tuning wrt resource placement and such. There are a few UI improvements that would also be really nice like sort options, move to storage, trash items, etc. I've gotten my money's worth out of it so far.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
What I find really annoying with Satisfactory is the inexplicable lack of controller support; all these factory games from much smaller devs like Foundry, Techtonica, Planet Crafter, play great with a controller and the Satisfactory devs just don't seem to care. So odd.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

What I find really annoying with Satisfactory is the inexplicable lack of controller support; all these factory games from much smaller devs like Foundry, Techtonica, Planet Crafter, play great with a controller and the Satisfactory devs just don't seem to care. So odd.

Seven years ago when Satisfactory first released, there wasn’t much demand for controllers. Maybe 1.0 will include real support.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah, seems like the Steam Deck is a big boost in sales for a lot of games and Satisfactory works well under Proton so here's hopin!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Foundry off to a rocky start. I'd come back in a couple of hours if you're trying to buy it and are unable to. As of this moment the store page disappeared. Oh yeah, it's Paradox, no surprises here!

Edit: Up now

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 2, 2024

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Eiba posted:

It's also kind of light on content at the moment. The villagers stop talking at the end of the woodlands content, which is basically a simple area to get you used to the game (they still give progress, but don't have any flavor text, which was the whole point of having them I thought).
Once you finish the woodlands quests the game does warn you that the dialogue is unfinished from here on, it's just one of those early access things.

I'm really enjoying the game as well. It's cute and relaxing. As you say it's a bit light on the automation. You can just hand feed everything if you want because most machines (at least the second-tier recipes and later) work slow enough that just filling a 4 slot delivery hopper + filling the machine will keep it chugging along for a while. But of course there's also a nice dopamine hit from setting up a proper production chain. The game provides some tools to help with measuring item throughput and such, but it's really not a game that you need to or should optimize.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mayveena posted:

Oh yeah, it's Paradox

All I need to know they jumped the shark awhile ago and are up there with EA and Ubi as avoid everything list.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

pixaal posted:

All I need to know they jumped the shark awhile ago and are up there with EA and Ubi as avoid everything list.

They became a publicly traded corporation and instantly went completely to poo poo. Imagine that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Foundry Release trailer. If you can do everything in that trailer I think it'll be pretty popular but we'll have to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfP8MZQGlfY

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

pixaal posted:

Normally I'd agree but this is a bit different from the usual Paradox fare. From what I can tell someone created a project on itch.io way back when that was basically Voxel Factorio, or perhaps Minecraft Tech Modpack but actually part of the base game and not kinda shoved in.

Someone at Paradox went "Hey, that actually looks good" and now Paradox are primarily offering publishing, marketing and maybe a bit of tech support. Because Voxel Factorio/Factory Minecraft is exactly what just came out on Steam today.

Even poo poo publishers are allowed to have the occasional good game studio.

Managed to get to automating machine parts (basically factorio gears) and I'm enjoying this so far.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Normally I'd agree but this is a bit different from the usual Paradox fare. From what I can tell someone created a project on itch.io way back when that was basically Voxel Factorio, or perhaps Minecraft Tech Modpack but actually part of the base game and not kinda shoved in.

Someone at Paradox went "Hey, that actually looks good" and now Paradox are primarily offering publishing, marketing and maybe a bit of tech support. Because Voxel Factorio/Factory Minecraft is exactly what just came out on Steam today.

Even poo poo publishers are allowed to have the occasional good game studio.

Managed to get to automating machine parts (basically factorio gears) and I'm enjoying this so far.

Yeah I guess the devs didn't want to go indy and have to worry about publishing et al which is fine, I might do the same if I were an indy dev

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Alkydere posted:

yeah this is - so far - dangerously like the good parts of factorio and satisfactory smooshed together. Remains to be seen if they've perfectly nailed the feedback loop that made factorio so amazing, but positive signs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I've reached tier 2 science and am irritated that my nearest backup of iron (xenoferrite) is super close but requires tier 3 science to reach. Second closest is pretty big but under water. This is important because I'm already starting to make a noticeable dent in my starting iron.

Also I was amused that the starting rubble on top of the initial deposits grew with crystals in the shape of X for Xenoferrite (Iron) and T for Technum (copper).

Oh and because I was an itch.io backer, I get a skin with a top hat and necktie.

awesmoe posted:

yeah this is - so far - dangerously like the good parts of factorio and satisfactory smooshed together. Remains to be seen if they've perfectly nailed the feedback loop that made factorio so amazing, but positive signs.

Their FAQ said they already have a modding community and are planning to make the game very moddable. As long as the devs don't do anything too stupid, this game will live or die on its modding community. There's even a dev supported tool you can download from Steam to make your own dedicated server.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I sure hope they mod the nighttime out, i hate it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mayveena posted:

I sure hope they mod the nighttime out, i hate it.

What’s wrong with it, just a visual problem/too dark sort of thing, or does the game have some kind of annoying threats at night like a Minecraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Night just gets dark and affects solar if you get that far. There's no enemies besides yourself.

You do get street lamps fairly quickly though.

Edit: speaking of "no enemies besides yourself", guess who did mining beneath the water with explosives? Game has Minecraft water "physics" so I had to fill it up with dirt and mine it out by hand just so I didn't have to deal with the entering/exiting water noises and the weird effects it has on shaders (you're a robot so you don't need to breathe). As an aside the drill really could use a little more range.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 3, 2024