Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The obvious choice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Subnautica could be added to base building games. Probably wouldn't have gotten into Satisfactory if I didn't have the base building itch I got from Subnautica, now after 500 hours of factory construction I've had to start over on a new save because there's so much stuff in my game world that the framerate has become unplayable.

I'd say it's a game with tangential base building and not a management game in any sense of the word. You don't really manage the base you build and there's almost no meat to the basic base based gameplay.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mrenda posted:

I've never played one of those Factory-style, supply this to that to get something new games. I know very little about them as I'm probably stuck in Management Game Mode from twenty years ago. Is there one with that's considered this slickest introduction that also allows you to just futz about creating stuff without risking your setup (I think one has things attacking you, and if they're anything like city builders there might be disasters.) Are you even free to create a random assortment of things (so there's a meta goal of being the biggest/richest like Tycoon games) or are they all set where you have to achieve one specific goal?

Factorio is the gold standard and you can make the biters non-aggressive or disable them altogether. Satisfactory is pretty much first person Factorio without aggressive animals (like non-aggressive biters they are simply an obstacle between you and other resources that you can tackle at any point), and looks much nicer. The Dyson Sphere Project everyone in this thread is playing r/n has no combat at all, and you get to build your factory on little planets that you can fly between.

All of them have a set goal in name only, something to spend your resources on to get a You Win screen and then go back to building your factory.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Davincie posted:

The devs of the new startopia aren't very good. Their Dungeon Keeper clone, Dungeons was incredibly slow and unchallenging gameplay wise, filled with awful reference meme humor and simply not very fun

I always wondered why Dungeons 3 has such high user reviews, like is it actually good or did everybody with any semblance of good taste just avoid the sequels because Dungeons 1 was so offensively bad?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
They Are Billions is kinda funny in how obvious it is that the development team just accidentally faceplanted into a winning formula with the survival mode. Like if they went in to early access with any semblance of there being a more important game mode than the Survival mode it would probably be 1/100th as successful as it was, but nah they released a perfectly paced fun mode that was extremely streamer friendly and IIRC they did so because they wanted some early access money for more music/art assets for their lovely campaign no one likes.

If you do buy make sure to remember you can mute unit voices cause lmao it's so embarassingly childish with the only female unit type in the game implying they were fuckin' the player last night like 1/5 times you click on one.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

T. Bombastus posted:

Crypt of the Necromancer is one of my all-time favorite games, and cyberpunk dystopias are one of my all-time favorite settings, so I was really looking forward to Industries of Titan; then the initial reaction was so lukewarm that it fell off my radar completely. Really glad to hear that they managed to turn it around.

I think most people who bought it when it went in to early access (myself included) just went 'wow this has like zero impactful decisions to make and you can only do 1/10th of the poo poo you see in the trailer, guess I'll check it out again when it's out of early access in a year and a half or whatever'

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Solarflare posted:

How is Industries of Titan these days? It looks really cool but I feel like I've heard nothing about it since it dropped in early access.

The one guy who's playing it posted that he loves it last page. It was extremely barebones when it entered early access so there wasn't much to talk about when it became available.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Megazver posted:

You could also buy Legend of Keepers with the coupon. It seems to be a hybrid management/roguelite game. Has anyone tried it?

I didn't like it but it's not bad. Uninteresting to me, mostly because there's pretty much zero management gameplay, but if you want a low-stress rpg roguelite with mediocre humor you'd probably like it.

Megazver posted:

Moonlighter was supposed to be in the same vein. I haven't played much of either, so I can't say how well they compare.

Moonlighter absolutely sucks and I have no idea how it has such a high user review score on steam :v: There's nothing enjoyable about it besides the art style.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
No trains?! :ohdear:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Krataar posted:

If you had to play a prison architect like game, what sort of businesses or industries would you want to manage and build? Ideally something other than airports or am existing game

make a game where you manage a Hedonism 2 style tourist trap hotel

alternatively if you want an idea people would actually like and are ambitious make a Umbrella Corporation style bioweapon lab manager.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
There's like 5 dozen kairosoft games that fit the description 'management game' and the ones with price tags attached never have any IAP stuff afaik.
If you want more there's an inactive thread for 'em where goons recommend a bunch of their favorites: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902403

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Outside of anything related to army management I found it pretty intuitive. There's a ton of info on every UI panel but it's almost entirely stuff you can figure out at a glance.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Krataar posted:

I bought song of syx. I haven't been this confused since I downloaded dwarf fortress. I did the tutorial, but when I went to start it said I didnt have vegetables. What else do I need to know to get started? I havent found any good guides.

lmao can it start you with the wrong food type in the tutorial? You start with a small stockpile of a plantable food (afaik just either vegetables or fruits), and you can't finish a farm unless you have the amount listed in the construction costs in the build menu. The amount you currently have is listed in your stocks on the right side of the screen, though I can't remember if it tallies them up before you build a warehouse. Your short term options to get more plantables to finish a farm is to just harvest them from the map using the 'gather harvestable plants' command or w/e it's called. It's in the menu on the bottom with a brown/green thingy with a tool inside. Longer term option is trading for them, which is ezpz and cheap.

If you're diving in without doing the rest of the tutorial uhh buildings are mostly a square you can drag to size the room, and then you choose where to place the objects inside the room. Generally there's a mandatory object you want that increases how many lil guys can work in the building and then a secondary object or two that increases the speed they work. Fill up a bunch of the building with the mandatory objects but add enough of the secondary thing that you reach 100% efficiency or close to it. I think it tells you to gently caress off if you try to finish the building without adding doors, but you also need to place some doors.

While the woodcutter building lets you sustainably harvest wood, it's slow and you'll want a lot of wood near the start so feel free to clear cut large areas of forest around your starting point.

Build a farm, huge warehouse, janitor, woodcutters, hunter's cabin, and dormitory. The janitor is the only one of these that isn't drag and drop, you just place the prefab building (you can rotate things with R) and then you can staff up to 10 people in it IIRC. Just expand from there building whatever you think your colony needs at the time.
Big things to keep in mind when choosing where to build poo poo:
  • You want to minimize travel distance from a place that produces something to storage for what they're crafting and what they need to craft it
  • Buildings that extract, refine, or craft anything are noisy and you want to keep any down-time poo poo like dormitories/lavatories/eateries out of the noise range. Holding right click shows you a tile's details, including how noisy it is. Producing raw foods is silent but IIRC anything that refines them in to a non-raw form is not.
  • You don't need 1:1 dorms to citizens, but services have a maximum range people will travel to reach so you can't cram them all in to one little housing district for long. Effectively, people live where they work and will just sleep on the ground and not bathe/poo poo at all if there aren't any facilities near them.
  • You probably want an administration building before a library--you'll eventually want absolutely massive libraries/admin buildings but if you get some admin points you can tax nearby settlements for a hefty sum of raw resources. This still isn't a super high priority and you can go like a decade in game without either and be doing fine.

Do whatever you want from there, it's not hard to have an unhappy/starving village but it's pretty much impossible to actually lose if you have a farm/fishery/pasture already built (which is probably why it's the very first thing the tutorial wants you to do).

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Isolation also protects the room from damage. Lower isolation = janitor will have to repair things in the room more often.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Dungeons 1 was so bad it's the only game I've ever removed from my steam account :argh: Playing it was a more unpleasant experience than the weird 99 cent anime games my friends keep sending me which are already Completely Unenjoyable.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

LLSix posted:

My cultivators only grow grass which is terrible. It takes more power to run the cultivator and harvestor combo than the plant powerplant provides.

You need like 15 samples of a plant and then the cultivator can cultivate it. Use your bioscanner.

You can't seem to harvest plants with rare minerals until you've got the research to handle that mineral completed, though, but you can still make a nice sustainable carbon/iron farm with some basic plants.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Thompsons posted:

Yeah it seems like a system the game really should tell you about but it doesn't say anything at all really, is there like some menu you go into to tell the cultivator what to grow?

There's a desert mission that's meant to serve as like a cultivator tutorial but it's kinda flawed in that it auto-sets your cultivators in the area to grow the special mushroms you're there for. Led to me assuming your cultivator just grows the most valuable plant in its immediate area, so I was growing lovely basic grass in the boondocks of my main base for like 15 minutes without noticing, when I could have just been growing whatever I wanted near the center :v:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I think clicking through to a full size screenshot on The First Men's steam page is the quickest I've gone from "ooh this looks really good" to "Ohh this is ugly as goddamn hell"

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

KillHour posted:

I do find it funny that for a long time, RAM sizes kept going up and up and then like a decade ago everyone decided "Yeah we're good with 8/16."

K8.0 posted:

Two things happened around then : games got massively better at streaming in content, and SSDs became mainstream. 8 gigabyte consoles followed shortly after. Game states are generally fairly small, so as long as you can keep enough data in ram for sound and graphics, you're pretty much good.

K8.0 covers videogames but:
Most RAM-heavy things want more read/write speed more than they want more than 16gb of memory. You can fit massive amounts of photo/video/audio data in there and the main issue is having your photo/video editor write changes fast enough to feel responsive.
If you DO need more data than that for some niche usage, as K8 mentions SSDs have fast enough read/write speeds you can selectively move things in/out of memory. If you're editing a 8 hour long ultra-HD movie for some ungodly reason you don't generally need more than like 30 minutes of it in memory at once.
I think it's less of a thing these days but Windows also used to have hard limitations on how much RAM a single program could use at once (iirc 4.3 gb?) and you needed to do weird back-end bullshit to trick it in to thinking your program was multiple programs at once.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

skooma512 posted:

Tried Amazing Cultivation Simulator.

Expected Chinese Stardew, but it's actually Chinese Rimworld?

Should be noted that the cultivation in the title is spiritual cultivation and in reference to a Chinese genre of fiction (xianxia) where getting close to enlightenment is the equivalent of going super saiyan and lets you explode people with your punches.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

toasterwarrior posted:

Aaaaand they just finished development yesterday, no more future plans for content. Not a particularly great sign in 2022, hopefully it ended up more feature complete than Spacebase DF-9. I wonder if proper swimming was ever added, it was extremely weird seeing fluid physics in the game but creatures still walked underwater and never drowned.

Booooo but I guess they probably just weren't getting enough return on their updates to justify it. I think they kinda poisoned their own well with their 1.0 release only adding a couple small, buggy features that also broke a major part of the game.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

tildes posted:

I’ve enjoyed it so far in co-op, but it’s definitely not a management game if that’s what you’re looking for. It’s basically beat for beat Terraria + some of the structure and mechanics of Valheim, but isometric instead of side on.

I'd like to be pedantic and say it's not isometric but the common usage of isometric in videogames (aligned to a grid where the boundaries of each cell are on a 2:1 slope) is technically even less accurate to the word :eng99:
Anyway I agree it's not really a management game, at least presently. It's got the bones to add town-building if they want but presently there's not really anything to do besides explore and figure out what everything's about -- it's good exploration so far though. Finding the weird super long slime tunnel and then figuring out why it exists is especially a cool as heck moment.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Harminoff posted:

Heads up, stay away from the Kairosof games, they are controller only for some reason.

lmao what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Alkydere posted:

The cultist assigned to the farm will take care of all of that but then won't actually harvest the plants. Nor can anyone be assigned to the cook station.

Tier 2 farm lets your cultists harvest plants. The harvest box has limited space though and you need to pull the resources out of it every time you're in the colony. I dunno if food spoils on the ground but theoretically you should be able to cook like 2-3 days worth of food if you wanted to loop in a dungeon several times.

That said I feel kinda surprised at how limited the colony progression is -- the health of your cult ties in to the gameplay less and less as you go on, it feels like there should be some really hard to maintain buffs to reward you having a good colony you take care of, but once you've unlocked all the temple rewards it's like 'oh, guess I'm just building up the colony for the sake of building up the colony now' and there isn't much depth there.

Seems to be a thing with Devolver published games, Loop Hero also had that feeling like "This could be a game you could play 100 hours of if they tweaked it a little, but instead it has a definitive end way earlier than you initially expected."

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 12, 2022