Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I used GeForce Now while it was in beta. It was decent. But publishers pulled their support and I doubt the service is worth the sub now.

I've ordered a Shadow PC to be activated this month. Being able to install my own poo poo, including old games, mods and demanding software, on the instance is a major draw for me.

I'm sure publishers will gut Shadow eventually as well, though.

Edit: there's also a service called Paper Space or something you might wanna look into.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, I wonder how long they'll keep that price. I guess they're in whatever phase it is that allows companies to bleed money for years and years before turning a profit.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The copy in this blog post is truly disgusting to read, but here you go:
https://shadow.tech/en-gb/blog/news/choose-your-shadow-configuration

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

My Shadow Boost activated today. The only game I've tried so far is Control, which doesn't feel too bad even at 40ms.

I like the launcher/streamer software. It's very light on bullshit features and detects my Xbox controller just fine.

So far I've no complaints about using it as a work computer. Handles Unity, Creative Cloud and Blender fine.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Ah, that's a bummer. I haven't used any devices other than my old wireless 360 controllers.

For whatever reason, the last couple of days the latency to the AMS server dropped by 5-10 ms. Feels good, man.

I filled up the harddrive almost immediately and added another 256gb to my subscription for an extra 3€/month. I imagine they're gonna expand this microtransactional aspect of the service at some point.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yup, I'm pretty satisfied too. I've had issues once or twice, but restarting the stream fixed them. The only real downside to Shadow, for me, is the 30 minute inactivity time limit. I understand why it's in place, but it's annoying having to babysit the computer.

The lowest tier is indeed a good deal. Apparently the Ultra and Infinite tiers, which aren't available in Europe, are severely bottlenecked by lovely CPUs — so if you're a 4K gamer you probably shouldn't bother.

It still feels like magic to me, being able to stream a much more powerful PC on my ancient laptop.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The article says that Google are shutting down their internal game studios, not the service. It's just a matter or time of course, but still.

I hope the 150 affected devs got decent severance packages.

Mescal posted:

When I lock the OS it doesn't ever time out. Try that
Interesting! Gonna try it out.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 1, 2021

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Lib and let die posted:

I'm not even on a supported OS (Gallium on chromebook) and my only complaint about Shadow is...Comcast.

gently caress a data cap.
They recently released a beta version of the launcher for Chrome OS. Doesn't matter if you've no issues on Gallium — just an FYI for other Chromebook users.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I waited six months. :smithfrog:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

In news that should surprise no-one, Shadow are undergoing restructuring and are trying to find a buyer.

https://shadow.tech/blog/news/a-new-beginning-in-sight-for-shadow

Upgraded tiers are on hold, but as I understand it Boost accounts should roll out as usual.

Anybody's guess what's gonna happen long-term. But I doubt the new owners want a business that haemorrhages money.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Apparently the alpha version of the Shadow Launcher supports multiple screens. poo poo's good!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, probably not. It's a shame, because the tech is pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Shadow have been bought by some French billionaire and they're making a lot of changes.

Two of the biggest news: 1) They're downgrading Ultra and Infinite accounts to base Boost hardware. Boost is the only tier available now.

2) The only subscription model going forward is month-to-month. The precious price has doubled to $30/€30 per month. Doesn't matter if you previously had a yearly contract — everyone is getting downgraded and hit with the new pricing.

I'm cancelling my subscription. I've been very happy with the service, but €30/month for the now ancient Boost tier hardware isn't a particularly good deal. I'd rather put that money towards buying a PC and using Parsec/Rainway/whatever.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 26, 2021