Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I also just got access to a Shadow over the last few days and after a bit of hacking on the old chromebook I managed to get the client up and running in Gallium. Having lived the better part of the last two decades at 30FPS I can't really offer much criticism outside of the lack of native chromebook support. For some reason I'm consistently getting a 45ms ping to their data center but ~10ms to everything else.

DMC5 is in sale at a price that won't break my heart if the input lag is a huge factor so I'll likely take that for a test drive tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

So far DMCV is running really well, even on my unsupported setup (HP Chromebook 15 w/ GalliumOS). I'm not playing at any high level and I'm awfully rusty with Vergil but so far I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in how the game feels as compared to when I played it on PS4 at release, though I think the real test is going to be getting Royal Guard going with Dante.

The very first time I ran the game last night I had a little bit of stutter, I turned on the H.256 streaming option tonight and I had no issues whatsoever. Tomorrow I'll set it back to the standard codec and see if the stutter returns.

For reference I'm about 45 minutes away from their Miami datacenter.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 15, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm not even on a supported OS (Gallium on chromebook) and my only complaint about Shadow is...Comcast.

gently caress a data cap.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I was told I had to wait 3 and got mine in 2 in South Florida. I think they overestimate like restaurants do.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

GFN's problem is that it's a curated selection. IMO they will always be second rate to a full desktop environment with install permissions a la shadow.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

True but shadow is 3x the price and has limited storage.

I mean, you're getting what you pay for. Of course GFN is cheaper - you simply can't play as many games with it.

I can only speak for my own tastes, but I generally only play a handful of games at a time so this isn't really that big a deal for me. I don't need fortnite and among us and skyrim bloated to 3x its usual install size with mods and Microsoft flight simulator and apex and destiny 2 and Monster Hunter world and devil may cry 4 and 5 all installed at the same time.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I took the Shadow "chromebook" "app" for a test drive yesterday and...wow, what a disappointment. It's not a Chrome-installable app, they just fussed around the edges of the Shadow Android app to make it work "better" on a chromebook.

Because it's an Android app, it relies on whatever lovely emulated version of Android is running in chros which has entirely substandard gamepad support - my DS4 is useless save for the cardinal directions on the d-pad - no face buttons, no directional sticks, no shoulder buttons or triggers. ds4drv does fuckall to recognize is in crostini. It worked immediately upon plugging it in when on GalliumOS.

Just a real half-baked attempt at native chromebook compatibility.

I guess I'm going to spend my morning getting my linux environment up and running again. what a waste of a loving saturday that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mescal posted:

Wow, that sucks. I would send them some feedback telling them how bad it is. Or complain on Twitter or something. I assume Steam works well with chromebook--try what I tried and load the shadow launcher through steam for controller support. IDK what most of the stuff you said means but if the app itself works outside of controller support, if you can get it to launch that way it might work fine.

The Linux container that runs on chromebook doesn't have support for sharing gamepads from the main chrome system to the linux container so Steam isn't able to pick up the controller. It's trivial and mostly automated to flash back to a full Linux installation though so I'll probably be back playing dmcv tonight