Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the 50 million dollar incentive is reaching the super bowl both years. it has to be both or nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Please, I cant take any more bad news. Please do not pair Newton with Rivera again.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Cam's agent signing large checks to Adam Schefter trying to set up that fake market.

Cavauro posted:

the 50 million dollar incentive is reaching the super bowl both years. it has to be both or nothing

:hmmyes:

This is great.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

In order to distract myself from the insanity of politics, Ill try and break down the Vikings FA.

Anthony Harris S
Had a great 2019 and was one of the best safeties in the NFL according to PFF. Got franchise tagged, and MN couldnt find a willing trade partner. Had a pretty average 2020. Wont be resigned.

Eric Wilson LB
Normally WLB that filled in for Anthony Barr at SLB when he tore his pec and went out for the year. Had a few good games, might be brought back if they cut Barr for his big cap hit or as depth.

Rashod Hill RT
Swing tackle, decent enough at that. Probably wont be resigned.

Sean Mannion QB
The usual back up QB in case cousins goes down. Been around for a few years, will probably get brought back cause he knows the system, unless the Vikings use one of their million 6-7th round picks on a project QB.

Ameer Abdullah RB
3rd String RB that is really only here for kick returns and to score 1 TD against the Lions each time MIN plays them. Probably wont return.

Dakota Dozier LG
Absolute trash guard. Gtfo

George Iloka S
Safety that played with Zim back in MIN. Wasn't even on the roster at the start of the year, but was signed as depth. Honestly wouldn't be suprised if he gets brought back to fill Anthony Harris' spot due to cap space and knowing Zimmer's system front and back.

Todd Davis LB
Back up MLB that did decently when Kendricks went down. Will probably be brought back.

Brett Jones C
Back up C that played 1 game and did well at guard. Somehow didnt play over Dozier cause the Vikings dont know how to put together a decent oline. Hopefully he comes back and can be our token 1 inside olineman that has a good season before falling off a cliff for the 3 years after.

Hardy Nickerson LB
Back up to Todd Davis. Was about as effective as a 3rd string MLB could be. (Terrible)

Jaleel Johnson IDL
Late round DT who is best served as a role player. Got more playing time this year and was unspectacular. Probably wont be brought back.

Chris Jones CB
4th overall CB. Wont be resigned.

Ifeadi Odenigbo EDGE
Best used a situational pass rusher to spell better players. Zim seems to like him so he will probably be brought back. Likely the 4th String DE after Hunter, Wonnum, and whoever The Vikings draft in the 1st round.

Mike Boone RB
3rd RB. Is a SPARQ god. Does decently enough to probably get resigned for the minimum at most.

Chad Beebe WR
3rd WR who is more flash than production. Might get resigned but the Vikings desperately need an upgrade assuming that Irv Smith doesnt take over as the slot receiver.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cam should go to Pittsburgh and whenever big ben feels fat and sleepy on the weekend he can just let Cam take it.

So like. 5 games for Cam 11 for big ben. Probably be better than Rudolph.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

BlindSite posted:

Cam should go to Pittsburgh and whenever big ben feels fat and sleepy on the weekend he can just let Cam take it.

So like. 5 games for Cam 11 for big ben. Probably be better than Rudolph.

Mason Rudolph is better than Cam

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Colts have a ton of cap space this offseason, but also a ton of guys entering free agency:

Phillip Rivers - Has played well enough that if he gets his foot healthy in the offseason and wants to come back, he'll probably get another 1-year deal on par with his current one

Jacoby Brissett - Almost certainly gone unless Rivers decides not to come back for some reason.

TY Hilton - Started slow this year, but has picked up a lot of steam toward the end of the season and is an important foundational piece and locker room leader. Should absolutely be re-signed.

Justin Houston - Has been solid, but definitely a step down from his production last year. Wouldn't mind bringing him back for the right price, but I expect he'll find a better deal elsewhere.

Denico Autry - Our second-best DL and a great complimentary piece to Buckner, should be re-signed but might be too expensive

Malik Hooker - Never quite lived up to his potential, and the rookie Julian Blackmon has already taken his spot. Gone.

Xavier Rhodes - Came in on a cheap prove-it deal, and successfully proved it. Has been our CB1 all year and played very well, should get a decent extension.

Le'Raven Clark - Backup swing tackle, thoroughly replaceable

Tavon Wilson - Depth safety, thoroughly replaceable

TJ Carrie - Depth signing at CB that has actually played pretty well. Will likely test the market to get a starting gig somewhere, but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back

Trey Burton - Much-heralded offseason acquisition, hasn't done much and probably isn't any better than TE3 on our depth chart

Marlon Mack - A good runner whose season ended to injury in Week 1. Would love to have him back, but Jonathan Taylor and Nyheim Hines own this backfield now.

Anthony Walker - Was on his way to being a bust, but Leonard and Okereke have made his job in the LB corps a lot easier, and he's a good complimentary piece. Likely re-signs for a moderate deal.

Al-Quadin Muhammad - Sneaky good DE, and we don't have too much talent at that position. Should be re-signed.

George Odom - All-pro special teamer. Should be re-signed.

Zach Pascal - Diamond in the rough UDFA receiver, would love to bring him back.

Ashton Dulin - Speedy special teams stud, should be re-signed.

Mo Alie-Cox - Has developed into a capable receiving TE, should be re-signed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have to assume the Colts bring back Rivers even if they draft a QB right?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Gatts posted:

I would assume so. He'd be a great mentor option, especially since any QB the Colts are in position to draft is going to be a late-first prospect at best, and thus likely not ready to start right away.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Gatts posted:

I would assume so, even though they drafted Eason last draft

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

ShakeZula posted:

Phillip Rivers - Has played well enough that if he gets his foot healthy in the offseason and wants to come back, he'll probably get another 1-year deal on par with his current one

You sure about that?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You sure about that?

Honestly? Yeah, he had a decent season, and we lost by 3 in a playoff game against the hottest team in football. He missed a few throws, and he occasionally makes some frustrating decisions in general, but a lot of the problems in that game were uncharacteristic drops by the WRs and RBs. I'll take him over Brissett for sure, and I don't want to spend any draft capital on Wentz or Darnold. I expect they'll look at some guys in the draft, but unless they fall in love I don't see them moving up far enough to get one in the 1st.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gatts posted:

I don't think the Colts draft a QB since they drafted Eason last year. FA or a trade is their best bet to fill the gap. Rivers coming back is an option, but they're also linked to possibly getting Stafford or Wentz. I'd love if they could splurge and sign Dak.

But the Colts have other pressing needs in the draft and can't spend it on grooming another QB after just drafting Eason. They will need to fill holes at LT, CB, and DE.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think the Colts draft a QB since they drafted Eason last year. FA or a trade is their best bet to fill the gap. Rivers coming back is an option, but they're also linked to possibly getting Stafford or Wentz. I'd love if they could splurge and sign Dak.

But the Colts have other pressing needs in the draft and can't spend it on grooming another QB after just drafting Eason. They will need to fill holes at LT, CB, and DE.

Yeah, I think Rivers with Eason as primary backup is the most likely scenario going into next year.

I think they'll look closely at the top 5-6 QBs in the draft, and if one falls they might pull the trigger, but I don't see Ballard giving up what would be needed to go from 21-ish to top ten. Pass rush and a Castonzo replacement are both just as pressing, and there's a decent chance the long-term solution to one or both of those is sitting there at their pick.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Paint Crop Pro posted:

In order to distract myself from the insanity of politics, Ill try and break down the Vikings FA.

Anthony Harris S

With his (and the team's) mediocre year I can't imagine that his price tag will be out of this world. He could be back on a short deal just because the dip in the cap will likely just be this year (I would assume) and he knows the system. Most of the other guys are backups or trash.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
After today’s game I’m curious to see if they prioritize Jonnu or Corey. I would have put my money on Jonnu before but he’s really disappeared as the season wound down. Him and firkser fill similar roles imo, wouldn’t be mad at letting him walk and trying to reup Corey. Depends on the money I guess. Really no rhyme or reason to which one of them gets the lions share of the targets

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Bumping this thread because finally we have reached tampering season.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lots of good WRs this year.

How much is fuller gonna make coming off his injury?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Considering the caliber of receivers coming out this season, the caliber of receiver in FA and their relative cost...man does it make sense to just load up on 2nd rounders

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Lots of good WRs this year.

How much is fuller gonna make coming off his injury?

Fuller got popped for PEDs too

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I feel like Fuller, while a good and useful player, has been overhyped on what he could be and not what he is. Before the injury and suspension stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him on my team (imagine I'm a fan of all teams here), but...well.

It's just hard to point to how much you're gonna offer I guess.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Absolutely agree with you goons about all the considerations with Fuller. That's why I am wondering if he might be a relatively decent contract for what kind of player he could be.

My number one dream is Curtis Samuel. Dude is great and did a bunch of snaps out of the back field on wonky plays.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Fuller shouldn't be your first/best option, but if you already have a guy like that then he's worth bringing in

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Fuller is a good fit with deshaun Watson so if Houston is trying to keep him (lol) they should be resigning him ASAP. Of course I’m assuming easterby is going to decide he’s a character risk and not offer him anything.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sounds like patrick peterson is gone. i'd assume KC or TB are favorites but he'd be a second or third CB so who cares about fit.

he's in a weird spot though, he cannot match up against speed and he's physical at the LOS but not at tackling. probably not moving to safety because of that. he's still really quick mentally, just that doesn't get you a whole lot if you are disguising coverages to get picks but you don't have the speed to recover and go get the ball.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone want to post this?
https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1359151311338504200

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Is Patrick Peterson still pretty good or is he cooked? I'm sure he's lost a step with age regardless.

Nm, dumb and didn't see hifi's post for whatever reason.

Sounds like he probably won't be worth whatever he'll ask for.

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 9, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

quote:

Top 50 NFL free agents in 2021: Best team fits for Dak Prescott, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Bud Dupree, more
play
Domonique Foxworth makes the case that Dak Prescott would be better off leaving the Cowboys. (0:58)

7:30 AM ET
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
print
It's never too early to examine NFL free agency, which will be running the 40-yard dash on one bad wheel this offseason. Lost revenue from the COVID-19 pandemic forced the NFL and NFLPA to negotiate a $175 million salary cap floor for 2021, a sizable dip for projections of well above $200 million.

The final cap number could end up higher than $180 million, but teams are preparing for the worst. This is bad news for the NFL's middle class. This is not so bad news for top-of-the-market players such as Dak Prescott, Trent Williams, Brandon Scherff and Justin Simmons. They'll get paid regardless.

Once colleague Kevin Seifert's top-50 free agent rankings hit the streets a few weeks back, we analyzed rosters, made calls to league personnel and mapped out the best fits for the best players available, led by a massive surprise that Dallas can stop with the use of the franchise tag. Here are my thoughts on each player's ideal landing spot come March:

Jump ahead:
Dak Prescott
JuJu Smith-Schuster
Bud Dupree
Aaron Jones
Patrick Peterson

1. Dak Prescott, QB
Best fit: Carolina Panthers

EDITOR'S PICKS

Predictions for 43 wide receivers who could change teams this offseason: Barnwell on a stacked list

Kiper's first mock draft for 2021: Will Justin Fields or Zach Wilson be the No. 2 QB?

Ranking the top 50 NFL free agents: Dak Prescott, Bud Dupree and more
OK, so we're having a little fun. Dallas keeps saying it will extend Prescott, but a deal isn't close. Many people around the league still expect that to happen. But the Cowboys have said that for two years. At what point do we stop believing them?

Franchise tagging Prescott a second time will lock the quarterback into a $37 million salary, which instantly becomes a benchmark for per-year value on a long-term deal. With Dallas picking 10th overall in a strong draft for quarterbacks, selecting a passer for one-eighth the annual price isn't a terrible strategy if you're still unwilling to meet Prescott's demands. Dallas isn't in terrible cap trouble with $14.2 million in space, but that's with Prescott off the books. They have work to do.

In Carolina, Teddy Bridgewater's future is murky after his late-season struggles, and the Panthers have shown they are all-in on the quarterback carousel. They got involved in the Matthew Stafford sweepstakes. If Deshaun Watson becomes available, they will probably do the same. They have $10.9 million in cap space and could create more with cuts and restructures. Moving on from Bridgewater's contract would hit Carolina with $20 million in dead money, but they would also have $22.9 million in salary cap off the books.

Let Prescott and offensive coordinator Joe Brady get weird with a schemed-up mix of spread and NFL offensive concepts.

2. Trent Williams, OT
Best fit: Jacksonville Jaguars

San Francisco tried to re-sign Williams before the regular season but might have missed the window. After a stellar year in the Bay, Williams is eyeing top-shelf tackle money. If he goes to the highest bidder, Jacksonville needs just about everything and has $74 million in cap space. Protecting Trevor Lawrence is a start, though Williams might want to sign with a contender.

3. Leonard Williams, DL
Best fit: New York Giants

I continue to hear the Giants will put forth a strong effort to keep Williams, who broke out with 11.5 sacks and 30 quarterback hits. Williams likes the way DC Patrick Graham got him loose with stunts and tilted fronts. Keep the party rolling with a big payday before the new league year. If that doesn't happen, Williams will have plenty of suitors after realizing his enormous potential in 2020.

4. Brandon Scherff, G
Best fit: Washington Football Team

This offense isn't dynamic enough to lose an anchor on the interior line -- especially a top-three guard. And coming off Scherff's $15 million franchise tag, Washington can structure a long-term deal that takes up less cap space than that in Year 1.

5. Hunter Henry, TE
Best fit: Indianapolis Colts

This offense is ready to take off ... once it figures out the quarterback spot. Adding a new dimension at tight end to complement young pieces Jonathan Taylor and Michael Pittman Jr. will set up the new quarterback nicely. Let Jack Doyle handle the dirty work and Henry will get open. Don't sleep on the Chargers keeping him, too. Losing him would be big for Justin Herbert.

6. Yannick Ngakoue, EDGE
Best fit: Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens traded for Ngakoue with a long-term plan in mind. They will have trouble re-signing both Ngakoue and Matthew Judon, and Ngakoue's unique pass-rush skill set makes him more than a rental. Baltimore, with $14.9 million in cap space, could franchise tag Ngakoue if it doesn't come to a new deal by March.

7. Bud Dupree, EDGE
Best fit: Tennessee Titans

The Titans are desperate for pass-rush help, and Dupree won't fall flat like Jadeveon Clowney and Vic Beasley did there. Plus, Tennessee might get a slight discount (key word: slight) with Dupree recovering from a torn ACL that could hamper his early-season production. Dupree proved to be a beast the past two years. The Steelers want to keep him but are $33 million over the cap.

8. Kenny Golladay, WR
Best fit: New York Giants

Golden Tate could be done in New York, Sterling Shepard never emerged as a true No. 1 and Darius Slayton is a fifth-round pick. Time to invest in a top-of-market guy for Daniel Jones. Detroit can franchise tag Golladay, but that's hardly a slam dunk after he played five games for the Lions last season. The Giants signed high-priced corner James Bradberry last offseason, and he played well for them. Might duplicate that strategy at receiver.

9. Justin Simmons, S
Best fit: Denver Broncos

Denver should and will do everything possible to keep Simmons, who is perfect for Vic Fangio's defense. If Denver is in on Fangio for another year, they must be the same for Simmons, one of the game's most complete safeties who will have a massive market if Denver doesn't stop him.

10. Allen Robinson II, WR
Best fit: Washington Football Team

It feels like he's done in Chicago, and Washington needs a top guy to elevate the offense. Terry McLaurin is terrific, but most around the league still consider him a high-level No. 2. And Washington almost landed Amari Cooper last free agency. They won't miss this time. Washington is exhausting all options at the quarterback position and wants to surround the position with weaponry.

11. Jonnu Smith, TE
Best fit: Buffalo Bills

What better way to take this offense over the top than with a tight end who can catch up the seam or take a fly sweep 20 yards? Dawson Knox is a solid option but could use a complementary piece next to him. Buffalo is $1.6 million under the cap but has several veterans it can release or whose contracts could be restructured. After 15 wins and an AFC title game appearance, the Bills can think along these terms: What moves will put us past the Chiefs in the AFC?

12. Trey Hendrickson, EDGE
2021 NFL free agency coverage

• Ranking top 50 free agents »
• Biggest looming free-agent decisions »
• Top offseason needs for all 32 teams »
• See more on free agency »

Best fit: Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons need help at several spots on defense after Dante Fowler Jr. produced an underwhelming three sacks last year. New Atlanta GM Terry Fontenot helped draft and develop Hendrickson in New Orleans. He's very familiar with his skill set. Some teams will have concerns about Hendrickson as a one-hit wonder who benefited from playing opposite Cameron Jordan (6.5 sacks in his first three seasons before a 13.5-sack breakout last year), but the Saints might be more comfortable giving him that money because of the large file they have on him.

The Falcons have serious work to do before free agency while sitting $41.7 million over the cap.

13. Chris Godwin, WR
Best fit: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Godwin is prepared for the franchise tag this year. It's the cleanest way for Tampa to try to keep its Super Bowl core intact. He's too good to let leave the building. The Buccaneers have at least five key free agents and want to keep as many as possible. That process starts with Godwin.

14. Aaron Jones, RB
Best fit: Green Bay Packers

This seems clear-cut: Let Jamaal Williams walk, franchise or transition tag Jones at what should be a very reasonable number (somewhere between $8 million and $11 million), then drop the hammer on defenses with a Jones-AJ Dillon combo. Dillon is the power back while Jones can do it all. This will make Aaron Rodgers happy. And isn't that important, given his postseason comments about an uncertain future?

15. Shaquil Barrett, EDGE
Best fit: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Barrett has shown Tampa enough over two seasons to become a mainstay. He was never going to duplicate his 19.5-sack performance in 2019, but he was solid this year with eight sacks and spectacular in the NFC title game with three more. The Bucs are riding the Tom Brady window, and the best way to do that is by retaining one of the game's best pass-rushers.

16. Taylor Moton, OT

Carolina plans to keep Moton via a long-term deal or a franchise tag. One of the game's emerging young tackles would have a robust free-agency market, but the Panthers likely won't let him get there. Whoever the quarterback is in Carolina will like this news: Moton posted an impressive 81.2 Pro Football Focus grade.

17. Corey Linsley, C
Best fit: New York Jets

Connor McGovern wasn't great at center last season, and since his $8 million salary is guaranteed for 2021, the Jets can kick him to guard. Linsley, one of the league's most consistent centers, gives New York a leader up front to help a young quarterback, whether Sam Darnold, a draft pick or a new option via trade.

18. Corey Davis, WR
Best fit: Chicago Bears

With Robinson on the way out, the Bears will have one of the thinnest receiver corps in the league. Davis is a solid -- if less spectacular -- reinforcement. Watch for New England or Baltimore here, too.

19. Lavonte David, LB
Peyton's Places

Through conversations with former players, coaches and key figures, Peyton Manning gets to the heart of football history and its cultural impact. Watch on ESPN+

Best fit: Miami Dolphins

Miami's defensive picture is nearly complete, and the image of David flying around with Jerome Baker at inside linebacker should excite coach Brian Flores. David comes from a 4-3 but has the flexibility and athleticism to play in Miami's 3-4 base. David is a Miami Northwestern High legend, too. And Miami has $21.7 million in cap space.

Dallas makes sense here, too, but the Cowboys have money tied to Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch. Many teams with a 4-3 are either saddled with bloated contracts at the position or have an emerging young player who needs to be paid. Watch for Tennessee, which could have a need if Jayon Brown walks and knows what David can do.

20. Joe Thuney, G
Best fit: Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati needs help across the offensive line. Snagging a premier free-agent guard is a good start. The Bengals could then double down in the second-tier tackle market and draft Oregon's Penei Sewell with the No. 5 pick. Lots of options for a team that must keep Joe Burrow protected. The Bengals have $32.7 million in cap space to make it happen.

21. Alejandro Villanueva, OT
Best fit: Los Angeles Chargers

Los Angeles has a major need at left tackle with Sam Tevi hitting free agency. Villanueva would be an upgrade, and though his best fit might be Pittsburgh, the Steelers probably won't be aggressive spenders. Villanueva is 32 but has only six seasons of tread as a starter, so he's still fresh, and his 74.6 Pro Football Focus grade is solid. Villanueva's offensive line coach in Pittsburgh, Shaun Sarrett, landed an assistant O-line job with Los Angeles this offseason.

22. A.J. Green, WR
2021 NFL draft coverage

• Mock drafts: Kiper » | McShay »
• Rankings: Kiper » | McShay »
• Meet the loaded, elite QB class »
• 30 big questions for Kiper & McShay »
Full ranking » | Pick order » | More »

Best fit: Baltimore Ravens

The truth is that Baltimore's offense is a tough sell for receivers who want the ball often. With a multitiered rushing offense lacking extensive passing concepts, Baltimore might be best off drafting receivers it can tailor to the system. But Green could fit because he's going on Year 11 and is a bargain if his low 2020 production (47 receptions, 523 yards, two touchdowns) was due to hesitancy returning from a foot injury.

If he's healthy and confident, he can provide experience and nuanced route running to a team that needs it -- without requiring high volume in an offense that can't provide it.

23. Matt Milano, LB
Best fit: Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati needs to get more explosive on defense, and Milano can anchor a linebacker corps lacking high-level talent. The Bengals could lose several players to free agency and must replenish. Milano created a strong market as a weakside 4-3 linebacker who can effectively blitz (3.5 sacks in 10 games last season). He might still be most valuable to Buffalo, which will attempt to re-sign him.

24. Haason Reddick, EDGE

Though Matt Rhule loves his Temple guys, Carolina's 4-3 defense might not fit Reddick, who finally found a home as a 3-4 pass-rusher. Denver has a big decision to make on Von Miller's $17.5 million option. Miller turns 32 in March, and even if Denver brings him back, it needs to plan for the future at pass-rusher opposite Bradley Chubb (though Malik Reed is a good in-house option).

25. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR
Best of NFL Nation

• Is Wentz the best solution for the Colts?
• Packers RB duo would be tough to replace
• Why Ravens must upgrade Lamar's bodyguards
• Rating Broncos' QB possibilities for 2021
• Way-too-early 2021 NFL Power Rankings

Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur will be looking for a yards-after-catch demon with toughness, explosion and blocking for his 49ers-based system (think: Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk). Smith-Schuster would fit as a do-it-all option opposite Denzel Mims and Jamison Crowder. He's not as fast as Samuel or Aiyuk but posted 409 yards after the catch last season, tops among free-agent receivers.

The Jets are taking a look at Smith-Schuster and Will Fuller V at the top of the market, as well as second-tier options such as restricted free agent Zach Pascal.

26. Desmond King II, CB
Best fit: Green Bay Packers

The Bucs targeted Packers slot corner Chandon Sullivan in the NFC title game, and Green Bay's struggles on the back end have forced elite cover man Jaire Alexander into zone coverage too often. King is one of the game's best slots and would instantly improve this unit, though Green Bay's pesky $28.1 million cap deficit is a hurdle. Wouldn't surprise to see Tennessee, which traded for King midseason, attempt to lock King up before free agency.

27. Curtis Samuel, WR

Urban Meyer recruited Samuel to Ohio State and once considered him his best playmaker since Percy Harvin. A reunion seems natural, as Meyer could use Samuel -- more playmaker than elite route runner -- all over the field. Samuel will be coveted as a slightly cheaper alternative to the top of the market. Also watch for the 49ers here. They love this style of player.

28. Shaquill Griffin, CB
Best fit: Dallas Cowboys

Defensive back should be a top priority for Dallas, and Griffin is considered the top outside corner on the market. He can cover and is a willing tackler. Seattle will try to keep him. The Cowboys have to throw some money at the secondary, even with $14.1 million in space and the Dak Prescott deal staring them down.

29. Marcus Williams, S
Best fit: Detroit Lions

New Lions coach Dan Campbell and defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn come from New Orleans, where they watched Williams intercept 13 passes and break up 30 more over four seasons. A defense in need of playmaking on the back end will explore signing the instinctual post safety. So will New Orleans. Players with his ball skills get paid.

30. Will Fuller V, WR
Best fit: New England Patriots

No team needs a playmaking upgrade more, and Fuller has some New England traits -- fast but isn't limited to deep balls, has run-after-catch ability, will have a robust but not outrageous market. The Dolphins also need a true vertical threat who can get it done at all levels of the field. Maybe he simply follows Deshaun Watson wherever he goes. Fuller is oft-injured but showed No. 1 qualities last season.

31. Patrick Peterson, CB
Best fit: Las Vegas Raiders

The Raiders need leadership in the secondary in the worst way. Peterson turns 31 in July and has made $94 million, so maybe team fit and contention will be most important to him. Also watch for Tampa, where Peterson's former coaches Bruce Arians and Todd Bowles are coming off a Super Bowl appearance.

32. John Johnson III, S
Best fit: Atlanta Falcons

The Rams will likely attempt to keep Johnson, whose football savvy will get him paid, but Atlanta's safety position is a major need, with Ricardo Allen the only veteran under contract with legitimate starter's experience. Cutting Allen would save $6.25 million on the cap. The Falcons could use that money to secure Johnson, a building block for Arthur Smith's first season. Watch for the Raiders, too, as Jon Gruden attempts to solidify his secondary.

33. Marcus Maye, S
Best fit: Philadelphia Eagles

Maye reunites with his position coach in New York, Dennard Wilson, who was hired by the Eagles this offseason. Also watch out for Dallas, which also needs safety help and made Dan Quinn, Maye's college coordinator at Florida, its defensive coordinator. At least six teams will be in the safety market.

34. Matthew Judon, EDGE
Best fit: Seattle Seahawks

Seattle somehow managed 46 sacks without dominant pass-rushers up front. The Seahawks aren't big free-agent spenders, but expect them to comb the market here. It's time to get recently acquired Carlos Dunlap a counterpart. Baltimore probably won't place a second franchise tag on the two-time Pro Bowler. Watch out for Jacksonville, where Urban Meyer just hired Ravens defensive line coach Joe Cullen as his defensive coordinator.

35. Leonard Floyd, EDGE
Best fit: Los Angeles Chargers

New coach Brandon Staley worked with Floyd in Chicago and Los Angeles, where Floyd revived his career with 10.5 sacks as a Ram. The Rams are strapped for cash after the Matthew Stafford-Jared Goff swap and could have trouble keeping in-house free agents. The Rams' $28.4 million deficit is the fifth largest in the NFL -- and that's before the QB trade hits the books, adding about $10 million.

36. Anthony Harris, S
Best fit: Cleveland Browns

Kevin Stefanski knows Harris' game well from his Minnesota days, and Harris has played strong or free safety in his career, providing Cleveland with much-needed flexibility as Grant Delpit works his way back from a torn Achilles. Cleveland can run it back with Karl Joseph, who played on a one-year deal, but needs reinforcements regardless. A few more pieces and the Browns are firmly contending in the AFC.

37. Larry Ogunjobi, DT
Best fit: Philadelphia Eagles

Philly loves interior defensive linemen who can get upfield and disrupt passing lanes. And with Fletcher Cox turning 30, it's time for more youth up front to pair with Javon Hargrave inside. Philly is already hard at work on the cap, reworking the contracts of Alshon Jeffery and Malik Jackson to ease the $53 million deficit. Cleveland wants to keep him but has to pay several ascending players, and Ogunjobi might be the odd man out there.

38. Romeo Okwara, EDGE
Best fit: Detroit Lions

A team with a minimal pass rush should work hard to retain the one player on the roster who gets consistent pressure on the quarterback. Trey Flowers will be back with guaranteed money on his 2021 deal, and a healthy campaign from him coupled with Okwara is a good start for Detroit's new defense. Also watch for New England, where Matt Patricia, who helped develop Okwara for three seasons in Detroit, is an assistant.

39. Chidobe Awuzie, CB
Best fit: Houston Texans

Houston needs help all over the depth chart -- and a viable corner opposite Bradley Roby. Awuzie missed half the season due to injury but will have a market due to his speed, size and coverage skills. Also watch out for New Orleans, where Kris Richard, Awuzie's coordinator in Dallas for two seasons, is joining the staff.

40. William Jackson III, CB
Best fit: Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers wanted to draft Jackson 25th overall in 2017. He went 24th to Cincinnati, and the team chose Artie Burns, who fell out of favor and is now in Chicago. Corner doesn't seem like a major need, but starters Joe Haden and Steven Nelson are 2022 free agents, and Mike Hilton and Cameron Sutton are free agents this March. Haden turns 32 in April. Getting Jackson covers Pittsburgh for any scenario. The Steelers face tough decisions at almost every position.

41. Marvin Jones Jr., WR

The Rams need more of a vertical burner, so not sure it makes sense to pair Jones with old pal Matthew Stafford in L.A. In Miami, Jones' veteran presence and savvy to get open would help Tua Tagovailoa -- or another big-named quarterback possibly available via trade. Jones and other veterans will be intrigued by Miami, which finally has an exciting team to match the South Beach sizzle.

42. Nelson Agholor, WR

Agholor turned a minimum one-year deal into an explosive 2020 campaign with 48 catches, 896 yards and eight touchdowns with the Raiders. Las Vegas should keep its own and reward a resurgent player. The Raiders had a top-10 offense with Darren Waller and Agholor as top options, and keeping Agholor helps Henry Ruggs III develop into a focal point without the pressure of having to carry the passing game. Agholor would fit the Jets' new attack, as well. They will evaluate him.

43. Richard Sherman, CB

Sherman raves about Robert Saleh, who was with him in Seattle and San Francisco. Why not make it three pairings? Sherman will have a market for his services but turns 33 in March and missed 11 games in 2020, so he should be reasonably attained. If Saleh wants a star veteran to set the tone for his younger players, this is the guy.

44. Melvin Ingram III, EDGE

Ingram played four seasons for new Raiders coordinator Gus Bradley, racking up 24.5 sacks from 2017 to 2019 before injuries and a mini-holdout derailed his 2020 season. Clelin Ferrell hasn't proved a consistent pass-rusher yet, so while he works that out in Year 3, give Ingram a big one-year payout to win on third downs.

45. Gerald Everett, TE
Best fit: Seattle Seahawks

Seattle has seen Everett's skill set twice a season and respects his ability. New offensive coordinator Shane Waldron was the Rams' passing game coordinator and will be implementing the system Everett knows well. Market is key for Everett, who never played more than 40% of the snaps until this season (57%). Can he handle being a No. 1? He's immensely talented.

46. Carl Lawson, EDGE
Best fit: Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings must address a pass rush that struggled as Danielle Hunter missed all of last season. It's uncharacteristic to see Minnesota rank 28th in team sacks. Lawson fits Mike Zimmer's style as a heavy-handed 263-pounder who can win with physicality and power. Plus he's from the Bengals defensive tree Zimmer knows well.

47. Jadeveon Clowney, EDGE
Best fit: Cleveland Browns

Cleveland tried to sign him last offseason, and now the Browns get him -- at a steep discount. The Browns need a pass-rusher opposite Myles Garrett now that Olivier Vernon is hitting free agency. Clowney's days as a high earner might be over. But he can still stop the run and apply pressure on the quarterback.

48. Andy Dalton, QB

The Broncos are combing the available QBs in the carousel, and if they strike out on the big names, the next-best option is signing a veteran to push Drew Lock. Dalton provides flexibility in Denver, which can enter the year with Lock as the starter and have a capable player ready to play if Lock doesn't curb his turnover issues.

49. Cam Newton, QB

Look, Newton's cold market last year clearly outlined where the NFL stood with him. He then threw eight touchdowns in 15 games and ranked 30th in ESPN QBR (47.0) while playing on a one-year, $1.75 million contract. Expecting a robust starter's market for Newton at this stage, after all the injuries, isn't realistic, and there's not a clear-cut home if New England doesn't bring him back. Maybe Washington or someone with familiarity will take a chance.

Otherwise, reuniting with Urban Meyer, his Florida coach, for a season as Trevor Lawrence's backup isn't the worst thing.

50. Eric Wilson, LB
Best fit: Minnesota Vikings

Minnesota generally likes to re-sign players it developed, and Wilson went from undrafted free agent to splash playmaker with 118 tackles, three sacks and three interceptions in 2020. The Vikings would be smart to make this work, especially with several key defensive players either coming off injury or aging. Minnesota has a $12.1 million cap deficit to assuage first.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Don't know how we pay Clowney and Harris then pay Baker, Chubb, Ward and Teller. I know the cap is fake but goddamn

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Thanks mcmagic. Sherman is a no-brainer. Id be surprised if he didn't sign with either us or the Raiders. The WR speculation JetsTwitter is melting down over just seems like something that wouldn't ever leak or maybe it's signaling for Deshaun, who knows.

quote:

The Jets are taking a look at Smith-Schuster and Will Fuller V at the top of the market, as well as second-tier options such as restricted free agent Zach Pascal.
Agholor would fit the Jets' new attack, as well. They will evaluate him.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I wouldn't mind the Colts picking up Henry, but I suspect the price tag is going to be beyond what Ballard considers fair value. I do think the Colts add a TE through free agency, but most likely it'll be one of the second-tier names (or, at worst, just re-signing Trey Burton to another short cheap deal).

Pascal's not going anywhere. TY might actually be available though, as much as it would pain me to see.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

ESPN did this last year and then the top 10 guys got tagged and the article fell apart.

Also Marvin Jones will come to the Rams.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i love the idea of a passing offense of carson wentz throwing to corey davis, darnelle mooney and cole kmet. might not even make it to 2500 yards for the season

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

ShakeZula posted:

I wouldn't mind the Colts picking up Henry, but I suspect the price tag is going to be beyond what Ballard considers fair value. I do think the Colts add a TE through free agency, but most likely it'll be one of the second-tier names (or, at worst, just re-signing Trey Burton to another short cheap deal).

Pascal's not going anywhere. TY might actually be available though, as much as it would pain me to see.

If the Chargers let Henry walk I will be stunned

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

quote:

19. Lavonte David, LB
Peyton's Places

Through conversations with former players, coaches and key figures, Peyton Manning gets to the heart of football history and its cultural impact. Watch on ESPN+

Miami's defensive picture is nearly complete, and the image of David flying around with Jerome Baker at inside linebacker should excite coach Brian Flores. David comes from a 4-3 but has the flexibility and athleticism to play in Miami's 3-4 base. David is a Miami Northwestern High legend, too. And Miami has $21.7 million in cap space.

Dallas makes sense here, too, but the Cowboys have money tied to Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch. Many teams with a 4-3 are either saddled with bloated contracts at the position or have an emerging young player who needs to be paid. Watch for Tennessee, which could have a need if Jayon Brown walks and knows what David can do.

He fucks up some of the factual information(the Bucs run way more 3-4 than the Dolphins do fwiw), but I think Lavonte David is a really good fit for the Dolphins because their MLB is a huge loving pain in the rear end where you either have to be able to shed blocks really well(which is what NE usually does), or have the instincts and skills to reliably beat blockers to their spot(which is a really high standard that it's probably impossible standard for most guys to meet unless you're a salty veteran)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i literally just bought a david jersey yesterday so if he walks i'm going to be furious

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

DariusLikewise posted:

ESPN did this last year and then the top 10 guys got tagged and the article fell apart.

Also Marvin Jones will come to the Rams.

Jones to the Rams feels like a given, he's got great chemistry with Stafford and he's from the area.

I honestly have no idea what Detroit is gonna do with free agents given how much the team has to be rebuilt. I really hope we sign Golladay to a long term deal since I literally only know one other WR that's still on the roster, but if he decides to test the waters and it comes down to a bidding war, I don't think the Lions are going to come out on top.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kidcoelacanth posted:

i literally just bought a david jersey yesterday so if he walks i'm going to be furious

Don't worry, he'll go into the HoF as a Buc.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ESPN posted:

1. Dak Prescott, QB

EDITOR'S PICKS

Predictions for 43 wide receivers who could change teams this offseason: Barnwell on a stacked list

Kiper's first mock draft for 2021: Will Justin Fields or Zach Wilson be the No. 2 QB?

Ranking the top 50 NFL free agents: Dak Prescott, Bud Dupree and more
OK, so we're having a little fun. Dallas keeps saying it will extend Prescott, but a deal isn't close. Many people around the league still expect that to happen. But the Cowboys have said that for two years. At what point do we stop believing them?

Franchise tagging Prescott a second time will lock the quarterback into a $37 million salary, which instantly becomes a benchmark for per-year value on a long-term deal. With Dallas picking 10th overall in a strong draft for quarterbacks, selecting a passer for one-eighth the annual price isn't a terrible strategy if you're still unwilling to meet Prescott's demands. Dallas isn't in terrible cap trouble with $14.2 million in space, but that's with Prescott off the books. They have work to do.

In Carolina, Teddy Bridgewater's future is murky after his late-season struggles, and the Panthers have shown they are all-in on the quarterback carousel. They got involved in the Matthew Stafford sweepstakes. If Deshaun Watson becomes available, they will probably do the same. They have $10.9 million in cap space and could create more with cuts and restructures. Moving on from Bridgewater's contract would hit Carolina with $20 million in dead money, but they would also have $22.9 million in salary cap off the books.

Let Prescott and offensive coordinator Joe Brady get weird with a schemed-up mix of spread and NFL offensive concepts.

I think Dak not being a Cowboy next season is even less likely than Watson getting traded to the Colts. No way Jerry lets Dak walk, especially this offseason.

That said... I definitely wouldn't hate having Dak here in Carolina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i hope the bengals sign them guys who that article said they should. How about you and yours?