Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

vyelkin posted:

Supposedly Schalke really wanted an obligation to buy on the loan because they're in financial trouble but Liverpool said no, so there's an option to buy but only if we think he's good enough. Given that context, it does seem like a weird statement.

I made a similar statement when I was seconded from my team at work for a couple of weeks last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Celtic’s season is so bad they’ve killed Marseille too.

https://twitter.com/goal/status/1356582515499220992?s=21

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1356590566012821505

:byewhore:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Total Meatlove posted:

A pretty excellent big-dick move.

C'mon Fat Frank, put in your CV.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Was he a jerk at United? I thought the only problem with him was that he was injured a lot.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

If anyone deserves a :byewhore: it's this lad

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1356361850179514374

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

Was he a jerk at United? I thought the only problem with him was that he was injured a lot.

He was unequivocally terrible the entire time he was at United.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

holy crap i can't believe he was still on the roster, i thought he'd gone years ago

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Total Meatlove posted:

Imagine being that player lmao

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

pik_d posted:

Up pops a sad Shevchenko

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

pik_d posted:

Imagine if I told you he was still going to a better run and coached club

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The most incredible rojo stat is that as far as I can see he hasn't been sent off in his senior career

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Ozan obviously Kabaks himself to make it at Liverpool

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Total Meatlove posted:

Imagine if I told you he was still going to a better run and coached club

Doesn't matter if his new manager doesn't want him so bad he's willing to resign over him being signed. His confidence has been shattered.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Rojowns and it's a shame he didn't make it, good luck to him.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

pik_d posted:

Doesn't matter if his new manager doesn't want him so bad he's willing to resign over him being signed. His confidence has been shattered.

if he's not a baby he won't take it personally, this isn't the first time avb has tried to resign so it's well beyond just a single transfer

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Karl Sharks posted:

if he's not a baby he won't take it personally, this isn't the first time avb has tried to resign so it's well beyond just a single transfer

He's a professional football player though

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

pik_d posted:

:lol: it’s still a better proposition than 2021 Celtic

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

What's happened to Celtic and why is it considered Brendan Rodgers' fault

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Bundy posted:

They’ve been stagnating - partially due to a lack of proper competition as Rangers rebuilt, partially because they’d hit a ceiling in terms of funds and capability outside of establishing themselves in European competitions proper*, and this season they had a really, really, absolutely horrible transfer window** where they paid £15m on absolute shite and one decent prospect.

And then kept Neil Lennon in charge even though he doesn’t like doing things like ‘training’ or ‘analysis’.

Also the masons.

* This is the bit that’s Brenda’s fault, he didn’t really get them over that hump.
**Their £5m goalkeeper can’t even dive :lol:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Bundy posted:

Rodgers hosed off mid title challenge which led to .....
Lazy managerial of Lennon rather than putting effort into finding a more modern and technical manager.
Lennon ended up having some sort of falling out with the players at the start of the season and it's obvious they've chucked it.
We've also had a ludicrous series of problems with players and covid restrictions to the extent I think total meatlove has done some sort of deal with the devil.

quote:

partially because they’d hit a ceiling in terms of funds and capability outside of establishing themselves in European competitions proper
This is nonsense, we've plenty of money we've just not invested it well over the last two years. Main failing has been that our key creative players are burnt out or injured and turnbull has been the only good signing in that area.

quote:

they had a really, really, absolutely horrible transfer window** where they paid £15m on absolute shite and one decent prospect.
We only spent 10 million on shite :colbert:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Total Meatlove posted:

Jesus he's a bit lazy but resigning over signing him is a bit harsh

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

jre posted:

It’s obviously a bullshit reason, Marseille (and the entire Ligue 1 organization at this point) are a disaster and this is just an excuse. He could easily be managing anywhere else and he knows it.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Gigi Galli posted:

It’s obviously a bullshit reason, Marseille (and the entire Ligue 1 organization at this point) are a disaster and this is just an excuse. He could easily be managing anywhere else and he knows it.

It's a really unprofessional move to do that to player. Did he not also have some sort of weird public meltdown at the end of his spurs career ?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

jre posted:

It's a really unprofessional move to do that to player. Did he not also have some sort of weird public meltdown at the end of his spurs career ?

Oh, for sure. It's awful for the Ntcham but I guarantee you that's not why AVB resigned.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Oh, for sure. It's awful for the Ntcham but I guarantee you that's not why AVB resigned.

He didn't resign, he offered to resign and has been subsequently suspended by the club, so it's even funnier.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

jre posted:

this isn't the first time he offered, he just wants out and they keep trying to get him to stay

it's less to do with this one signing and just not seeing eye to eye and wanting gone

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

"You can't quit we're suspending you!" is a new twist

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

AVB is absolutely not quitting just over Ntcham, it's just the latest annoyance of many this year which has been an absolute shitshow for French football

in all honesty, he was never going to stay past the end of the season regardless and I'm pretty sure once supporters stormed the training ground and got a match postponed it was probably just, whatever the next thing was, would be it

like others have said he's been trying to get out for months and I don't blame him

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Is there a decent summary of what's going on in French football somewhere?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

Is there a decent summary of what's going on in French football somewhere?

Here is the abbreviated version:

-LFP, the French league, agreed a deal with Mediapro back in 2018 for Mediapro to cover Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 games starting in 2020.
-Mediapro offered an absurd amont of money, way more than other offers, including Canal+, who historically had carried the league matches on its network for years and years.
-LFP agreed to this deal despite a lot of people expressing concern over the figures involved and Mediapro’s ability to pay.
- Mediapro and LFP’s contract began for the 2020-2021 season, Mediapro made 1 payment in August 2020 then demanded to renegotiate due to the COVID pandemic
-LFP told them “gently caress you, pay me” and they went to court where Mediapro agreed to pay €100m to terminate their contract
-LFP then allowed for companies to bid for the rights Mediapro had, and LFP got owned when Amazon, DAZN, and Discovery bid way lower than what LFP was hoping for, and Canal+ and BeIN told them to gently caress off and didn’t even bid.
-LFP eventually agreed a deal with Canal+ to cover the rest of the season at a greatly reduced cost, and the league is getting roughly half of what they would have with the Mediapro deal

Clubs are going to be in some serious financial states due to the vastly reduced income.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Here is the abbreviated version:

-LFP, the French league, agreed a deal with Mediapro back in 2018 for Mediapro to cover Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 games starting in 2020.
-Mediapro offered an absurd amont of money, way more than other offers, including Canal+, who historically had carried the league matches on its network for years and years.
-LFP agreed to this deal despite a lot of people expressing concern over the figures involved and Mediapro’s ability to pay.
- Mediapro and LFP’s contract began for the 2020-2021 season, Mediapro made 1 payment in August 2020 then demanded to renegotiate due to the COVID pandemic
-LFP told them “gently caress you, pay me” and they went to court where Mediapro agreed to pay €100m to terminate their contract
-LFP then allowed for companies to bid for the rights Mediapro had, and LFP got owned when Amazon, DAZN, and Discovery bid way lower than what LFP was hoping for, and Canal+ and BeIN told them to gently caress off and didn’t even bid.
-LFP eventually agreed a deal with Canal+ to cover the rest of the season at a greatly reduced cost, and the league is getting roughly half of what they would have with the Mediapro deal

Clubs are going to be in some serious financial states due to the vastly reduced income.

it needs highlighting, even if it makes sense and would be obvious to some, the league didn't do due diligence to make sure mediapro could pay their insane price

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Karl Sharks posted:

it needs highlighting, even if it makes sense and would be obvious to some, the league didn't do due diligence to make sure mediapro could pay their insane price

and now Canal+ is paying less than they did under their previous deal, and less than they would have had the LFP accepted their bid in the first place

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Thanks for summarising! Who would have thought there would be short sighted financial mismanagement in the upper echelons of football!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
After working in Russia, which randomly and arbitrarily changes foreign player quotas to placate Putin (who does not know poo poo about football or sports or sports management) and "to help the national team", and China, which randomly and arbitrarily sets up salary caps to placate the CCP (who does not know poo poo about football or sports or sports management) and to "help the national team", AVB has probably seen enough of anything that can fall into the broad category of "bullshit" that his tolerance for it is very low

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
So it sounds like there will be some French club fire sales in the summer

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
That's why Leeds got Raphinha for cheap and Rennes were even getting CL money

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Alexeythegreat posted:

After working in Russia, which randomly and arbitrarily changes foreign player quotas to placate Putin (who does not know poo poo about football or sports or sports management) and "to help the national team", and China, which randomly and arbitrarily sets up salary caps to placate the CCP (who does not know poo poo about football or sports or sports management) and to "help the national team", AVB has probably seen enough of anything that can fall into the broad category of "bullshit" that his tolerance for it is very low

given Marseille's penchant for an imaginatively wide array of 'bullshit' I'm amazed he ever agreed to manage in the first place

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Pato signed for Orlando City, done deal

https://twitter.com/orlandocitysc/status/1360619123135381506?s=21

Hope he scores a ton tbh; if he’s smart he won’t be playing on turf though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Gigi Galli posted:

Pato signed for Orlando City, done deal

https://twitter.com/orlandocitysc/status/1360619123135381506?s=21

Hope he scores a ton tbh; if he’s smart he won’t be playing on turf though.

Why did they choose a picture of him that looks like an ad for an anti-depressant?