Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Alternatively, since everyone is expecting them to lose in the first round, the Saints are going to stomp through everyone en route to their second Super Bowl where they will beat Kansas City. Alvin Kamara will win SB MVP, Brees retires a champ and heads to NBC, and New Orleans has many unofficial parades since all the official Mardi Gras ones will be canceled.

Alternatively Kamara dies of Covid and Brees gets his ribs crushed like a Mortal Kombat brutality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mcmagic posted:

You can't draft a QB 6 overall who is worse that Trubisky and be considered a great GM. He also had his pick of all 4 tackles in this year's draft and drafted the worst one.

Wirfs and Becton both definitely look good but Andrew Thomas is looking good too. He had some down weeks but when he got it together he was looking worthy of the pick.

I think the Joe Judge hire was great, the ODB trade worked out great, he hit on a bunch of picks besides Jones and Barkley (Lawrence, Carter, Hill, LeMieux, Slayton, Love, Ximines, Coughlin, Hernandez), signed a shutdown corner on a cheap deal, a great sign and trade for Leonard Williams, a pro bowl caliber LB in Martinez and a pretty good signing in Fackrell and Logan Ryan. They had a top ten defense and an offense that ranked 31st out of 32nd in points. Jones only had Alex Smith, Drew Lock, Dwayne Haskins, Carson Wentz, and Sam Darnold behind him in QB rating. Jason Garrett was a poo poo rear end hire and Jones was a terrible pick. That alone would get most GMs fired but I think Gettleman has done enough to warrant a good GM label. If he can't fix the offensive woes, yea, can his rear end, but most teams would kill for the turnaround he's done so far.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know if Gettleman should be fired, I do know that the burden of proof is on Daltos here because...well...

The Giants getting Sudded may have broken him for good.

*Has one okay FA period while loving up multiple early first round picks*
This team.... they have a wealth of talent.

Well they have Joe Judge whose cornier than a Bazooka Joe comic strip talking about the respect for the game so they got that I guess.

They don't have wins in the worst division maybe ever but they can whine and white knight for the shield like NFL Champions.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kiimo posted:

Alternatively Kamara dies of Covid and Brees gets his ribs crushed like a Mortal Kombat brutality

Taysom Hill

Super Bowl MVP

:colbert:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jameis*

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
2017: 3-13
2018: 5-11
2019: 4-12
2020. 6-10

Turn around?

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Ches Neckbeard posted:

2020. 6-10

Turn around?

Only another decade to 16-0.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ches Neckbeard posted:

2020. 6-10

Turn around?

Your team took 6 years to rebuild from Hue to present day. It takes time to develop and assemble talent.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Doltos posted:

Your team took 6 years to rebuild from Hue to present day. It takes time to develop and assemble talent.

So you can look at that record and with a straight face still say

Doltos posted:

but most teams would kill for the turnaround he's done so far.

Cause they were 11-5 before Eli finally broke. I don't see a turnaround in that record.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Also they went 6-10 against a VERY easy schedule in the worst division in NFL history. Their whole "progress" this season is based on one trap game for the Seahawks.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I hate defending the Giants, but their star player and offensive focus was out for the entire year.

Barkley is the difference between making the playoffs and not.

They’re still not a good team, but it’s a young team, and they’re not in salary cap hell like some other teams on that tier.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Abugadu posted:

I hate defending the Giants, but their star player and offensive focus was out for the entire year.

Barkley is the difference between making the playoffs and not.

They’re still not a good team, but it’s a young team, and they’re not in salary cap hell like some other teams on that tier.

Barkley isn't even our star player. He's a boom/bust RB that doesn't fit the offense at all. I think it's totally reasonable to lambast Gettleman for the Jones and Barkley pick up but to ignore all the other positive moves he's made is to turn into mcmagic or something equally as worthless.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Ches Neckbeard posted:

2020. 6-10

Turn around?

every now and then I get a little bit lonely
And you're never coming 'round

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Now sure, he's hosed up on every single major decision he's ever had to make, but you gotta appreciate his work on the details. If we had somebody else, we might not have been able to reach 2nd place in the worst division in football. The important thing is that we finished better than the Cowboys.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Doltos posted:

Barkley isn't even our star player. He's a boom/bust RB that doesn't fit the offense at all. I think it's totally reasonable to lambast Gettleman for the Jones and Barkley pick up but to ignore all the other positive moves he's made is to turn into mcmagic or something equally as worthless.

lol don't take it out on me.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Doltos posted:

So what is he going to do to address the QB situation and what do you expect their record to be next season? Because if you don't think he'll have a winning record after five years...

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

on the bored wop posted:

"Touch" is for video games and gynecologists

I know, I'm late but: you rang?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

My teams marquee players were mistakes but my GM is still good.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

So what is he going to do to address the QB situation and what do you expect their record to be next season? Because if you don't think he'll have a winning record after five years...

18, 19 and 20 were Gettleman years. Don't know why I included 17. Perspective maybe

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Then you can him. I think he's gone no matter what because he missed the boat on the QBs. That's usually the death sentence for GMs and I doubt any draft talent will really turn Jones around, regardless if its Chase, Pitts, or Smith.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

My teams marquee players were mistakes but my GM is still good.

You're not wrong. Prior to this year I was calling for Gettleman's head like the rest of them. He built a top ten defense through several decisions that other GMs probably wouldn't have been good enough to do though. That's intriguing. I just wish he wouldn't be allowed to draft offense outside of the line.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gettleman is a terrible gm because hes all about the body and potential and not about what's on film or between the ears and that ends badly. Quite often.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I feel iffy calling John Lynch a good GM and he built a super bowl team from scratch in 3 seasons.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The Texans have hired Nick Casiero, formerly of the Pats, to be their GM.

Sorry Texans fans, looking like you're getting the Patricia/McDaniels redemption tour.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Spoeank posted:

I feel iffy calling John Lynch a good GM and he built a super bowl team from scratch in 3 seasons.

He at least seems to be really good at finding players to fit the systems that his coaches run which in and of itself is pretty impressive. I know all GMs to this to an extent (well the ones that don't suck) but he and Shanahan kind of seem to just keep pulling guys they can plug in out of anywhere. That team was pretty loving dire too before he was hired. I'd definitely call him good.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

tarbrush posted:

The Texans have hired Nick Casiero, formerly of the Pats, to be their GM.

Sorry Texans fans, looking like you're getting the Patricia/McDaniels redemption tour.

Matt Patricia is also a possibility. He's a defensive wizard and the Houston D looks really, really, bad.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Hizawk posted:

Matt Patricia is also a possibility. He's a defensive wizard and the Houston D looks really, really, bad.

I feel cruel even thinking of that, given how generous the Texans have been to the Dolphins

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Spoeank posted:

His fleecing of the Bears was artistic.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Reading this story on the Athletic about Earl Thomas:

quote:

Harbaugh publicly supported Thomas in early May after TMZ reported about an altercation a month earlier in which Earl’s wife Nina pointed a gun at his head after she allegedly found him in bed with another woman. Quietly, team officials fumed that Thomas did not notify them of the embarrassing incident but instead took to Instagram to get ahead of the story.

Thomas had extremely limited contact with team officials and did not participate in much of the Ravens’ virtual offseason program but reported to training camp in shape and in good form. Behind the scenes, however, things were significantly worse than the previous year. Thomas was blowing off meetings and walk-throughs and incurring more fines. When he did practice, he did it on his terms. He snapped at coaches and teammates, his behavior ranging from volatile to completely withdrawn.

“He was just surly all the time,” one Raven said.

Things came to a head during a training camp practice on Aug. 21, when Thomas misplayed a coverage and gave up a long touchdown pass to tight end Mark Andrews. Fellow starting safety Chuck Clark was incensed, spiking his helmet and yelling in Thomas’ direction that he wouldn’t be blowing coverages so often if he attended walk-throughs. Thomas then sucker-punched an unsuspecting Clark, one of the most respected players on the team. Teammates and coaches got between the two before the incident got even uglier.

Thomas was sent home. Several players fumed, making it clear to Harbaugh and general manager Eric DeCosta they didn’t want Thomas back in the building. Harbaugh met a group of veteran leaders on the team who told him Thomas needed to go, with only one offensive player dissenting. It hardly mattered that it was just three weeks before the regular-season opener against Cleveland, and the Ravens, a team with Super Bowl aspirations, didn’t have an experienced replacement behind Thomas. Two days after the altercation, the Ravens sent out a 17-word press release: “We have terminated S Earl Thomas’ contract for personal conduct that has adversely affected the Baltimore Ravens.”

quote:

Earlier this season, Houston expressed interest in Thomas. It was a move that made sense on paper, but things changed after the Texans and Ravens played in Week 2. Players from the two teams talked about Thomas after the game, and when word leaked that Houston had interest, Texans players reached out to then-coach Bill O’Brien and the front office to tell them they didn’t want to play with Earl Thomas.

https://theathletic.com/2300975/2021/01/06/earl-thomas-iii-where-seahawks-ravens/

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There's a lot of discourse about this play online and I don't care about any of it, I just find it very funny

https://twitter.com/_rone/status/1345944919895105537

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also FO finished DVOA for 1983, which is only important in that it finally gives us Marino's rookie season and to no surprise:

https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/1346841589826654208

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
From the eye test and my faulty memory I don't remember Ben's rookie season being all that impressive. I mean he won all the time, but I didn't feel like it was him winning so much as maintaining a platform that allowed the rest of the team to get the job done.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Same, I remember him being adequate and the team relying on their running game and defense.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

From the eye test and my faulty memory I don't remember Ben's rookie season being all that impressive. I mean he won all the time, but I didn't feel like it was him winning so much as maintaining a platform that allowed the rest of the team to get the job done.

It was 2004, so everyone was absurdly efficient, but yeah, Ben's thing as a rookie was that he could just complete 15 yard passes at will, then they'd get into the red zone and Bettis would rush 7 consecutive times to eventually maybe score.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

It was 2004, so everyone was absurdly efficient, but yeah, Ben's thing as a rookie was that he could just complete 15 yard passes at will, then they'd get into the red zone and Bettis would rush 7 consecutive times to eventually maybe score.

Or fumble at the 1

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

Also FO finished DVOA for 1983, which is only important in that it finally gives us Marino's rookie season and to no surprise:

https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/1346841589826654208

DVOA is stupid

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

a neat cape posted:

DVOA is stupid

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Grittybeard posted:

That was back at the beginning of his running around in the pocket and shrugging off defenders until Burress or Ward uncovered. It was undefendable for years

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

It was certainly infuriating, I'll give it that.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

Also because of how good their defense and running game were, Ben threw a lot less than other QB. IIRC, I want to say his record in games where he had 25 or more pass attempts his first few years was atrocious until Santonio Holmes started showing up around 2008 and their second run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/MikeTriplett/status/1346841551863996418

lol yeah that sounds doable