Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There's a lot of discourse about this play online and I don't care about any of it, I just find it very funny

https://twitter.com/_rone/status/1345944919895105537

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also FO finished DVOA for 1983, which is only important in that it finally gives us Marino's rookie season and to no surprise:

https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/1346841589826654208

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

From the eye test and my faulty memory I don't remember Ben's rookie season being all that impressive. I mean he won all the time, but I didn't feel like it was him winning so much as maintaining a platform that allowed the rest of the team to get the job done.

It was 2004, so everyone was absurdly efficient, but yeah, Ben's thing as a rookie was that he could just complete 15 yard passes at will, then they'd get into the red zone and Bettis would rush 7 consecutive times to eventually maybe score.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

Nah, he was traded by Parcells in 2008 when they were blowing up the team after Cam Cameron.

I can't find it at the moment, but I recall an article years ago about how apparently how during Zach Thomas' peak years, Miami was known for basically crediting him with a tackle or assist anytime a defender went down within five yards of him. They, and also Baltimore during the Ray Lewis years, were giving out a ton more tackles to their players than other teams. On the other side a few teams were known for being a lot more stringent with crediting tackles or assists, I recall the then-St. Louis Rams and Seattle being specifically mentioned where their guys were getting credited for lot less.

Yeah, tackles are assigned by the home team, and certain teams went comically overboard, which is why if you add up tackle numbers for teams, you'd see some would have hundreds more then other teams. It's where the Ray Lewis got 15 assists for jumping on the pile 2 seconds after the play ends stuff came from.

The good Zach Thomas story I have is from that Cam Cameron season where he cut Keith Traylor, some long time vet the game before the end of the season, and when Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas heard about it, they cornered Cameron on the flight and just screamed at him the entire time.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shinji2015 posted:

Let's say that Watson get moved, and any team interested can make it happen. Where are his top landing spots? My choice would be Carolina, of course, but like someone said here or in the draft thread, there's only a few teams where he wouldn't be an instant upgrade

Pretty much any of: Patriots, Dolphins, Raiders, Broncos, Football Team, Giants, Bears, Vikings, Panthers, or 49ers would become instant contenders with him and should pay the asking price of presumably 3 firsts + other stuff. Add in the Browns if you want to get spicy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

He came into Miami, down 17 in the 4th, and loving beat us. Ive never been so mad at someone I liked (that Ive never met) ((minus when Shia Labeuf started getting arrested)

That whole season he had like 5 of those, just absolutely comical last minute drives that had no business working, and he just pulled a golden horsehoe out of his rear end over and over again.

Okay, granted most of those were rushing TD's, but still.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

The one against Miami would exactly this. Maybe 4 rushes and a few passes, including a 20 yard bullet after the dude was throwing wobbly ducks 3 previous quarters. It was like they flipped a switch. He was barely moving against us but suddenly he was hitting us for 8-10 yard gains on the ground. Ive never seen that team collapse so quickly against a QB that they were otherwise dominating

If you want to see 5 minutes of some of the worst shot put throws and blind luck to beat a team... Tebow vs the 2011 Bears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7442CfruiA

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

All pros: 18 AFC, 11 NFC

Skill:

Aaron Rodgers
Travis Kelce - 50
Tyreek Hill
Derrick Henry
Stefon Diggs
Davante Adams

OL:
David Bakhtiari
Quenton Nelson
Corey Lindsley
Brandon Scherff
Jack Conklin

Front 7:

Aaron Donald - 50
Bobby Wagner
DeForest Buckner
Darius Leonard
TJ Watt
Myles Garrett
Fred Warner

Secondary:

Xavien Howard
Jalen Ramsey
Tyrann Mathieu
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Budda Baker

ST:

George Odum
Morgan Cox
Cordarrelle Patterson
Jason Sanders
Jake Bailey
Gunner Olszewski

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was kind of surprised Gunner Olszewski was the punt returner, but turns out he had the highest average return in the last 9 seasons.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

shirts and skins posted:

Special Teamer — Matthew Slater, New England

Hall of Famer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL2f9l2ZtIY

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Roquan Smith probably should've been first team all pro over , I dunno, let's go with Wagner.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

tarbrush posted:

Mildly amused that Jakeen Grant is an all pro anything.

That's how I feel about Gunner. I think punt returner is probably just the 2nd most devalued position. (Behind Kick returner)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

2nd team is just the next highest vote getters, so if just about everyone has the same first teamers, then you get random homers giving 1 vote to their guy and stuff like that happens.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Don't know how to look this up and not certain I would care enough to do so if I did, but how many All-Pros are there that don't have a single Pro Bowl to their name? Has to be a pretty rare occurrence.

I bet in the bowels of the 2nd team special teamers, there's a bunch, but yeah, I don't think PFR puts a mark for 2nd team all pros, so it's hard to search.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also thank you Ben Baldwin for giving me the Punting Stats I need at this moment:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also here's some fun punting stats.

The Chargers gave up 564 yards on 37 punts this season, the 2nd worst team, the Jets gave up 446 / 38. The 3rd worst gave up 321 on 33. Truly incredibly awful work Chargers.

The Patriots gave up 71 yards on 12 returns, which is pretty ridiculous, but not quite the Saints, who gave up 46 yards on 20 returns. Though, that was likely by design, as the Saints had the 2nd shortest punts, while the Patriots had the 4th longest average.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sourdough posted:

Huh, silly but I get it. Would’ve thought AJ Brown or Allen Robinson or someone would’ve gotten a homer vote or two plus a decent chance at a non homer vote or two

It's doubly silly because the all pro voting sheet is 2 WR slots, 1 RB slot and a "FLEX" spot, which has led to some incredibly stupid things like the same guy being the 1st team WR / RB and the 2nd team Flex.

Also some voters (Peter King) believe the Flex slot should be a slot receiver, and that's how you end up with Cole Beasley getting votes over like DeAndre Hopkins.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/1347655306789015553

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1347732047499042818

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

My brain says Tampa should have no problem with WFT but they also are exactly the kind of team tampa played down to during the regular season like the Giants and Bears. They are better than the bum teams that they feasted on at the end of the year like Detroit

The Football Team just struggled brutally to beat a team that was intentionally trying to lose. The week before they got roundly spanked by a 5 win Panthers team.

The difference between them and the Lions could thread a needle

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

really queer Christmas posted:

Washington was starting haskins against the Panthers though. Eagles also aren't that bad with hurts in there, Doug just gave up

Hurts was 7/20 for 72 yards and a pick when they put in Sudfeld. The Eagles were super duper bad that game and Doug still had to scrub it up even more.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

STEM people are good at trivia contests and writing logic loops and really really really loving bad at things like human interaction.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GD_American posted:

ahahaha stop stop stop cmon

Imagine believing that after trying to explain to one how a bug in their code occurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This is real, source in replies

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1348465772251783169