Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
cheap prerolls are solid dynavap speedloaders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/virginia-mother-charged-murder-4-year-old-son-dies-eating-thc-gummies-rcna53449

4 year old eats THC gummies (delta 8) and freaking dies

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

This is a pretty good Drug Scare article. It doesn’t say anywhere that THC killed the kid, but both the reporter and cop in the linked statement drat sure imply that as hard as they can.

What’s the LD50 for THC again?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

:thunk:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Loucks posted:

insanely high. from what I understand you would die of oxygen deprivation from smoking before you hit LD50. not sure about edibles — especially for a child.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

dee eight posted:

I found a new thing today! If I take the screen out of my old brass pipe, then store bought joints fit perfectly at the bottom of the bowl.

*Smokey Bear voice* Remember, only YOU can prevent mustache fires!

whoah you have a pipe made of brass??

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I looked it up for mice its like 400mg/kg, so in theory I could leave one of these gummies on the floor and kill a mouse holy poo poo that's actually crazy. What's a kid weigh? Like 20-30kg? Probably lock up your weed poo poo if you have kids regardless seems like a solid policy.

edit I found one source that says for dogs 3g/kg
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23796481/

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021

Salt Fish posted:

I looked it up for mice its like 400mg/kg, so in theory I could leave one of these gummies on the floor and kill a mouse holy poo poo that's actually crazy. What's a kid weigh? Like 20-30kg? Probably lock up your weed poo poo if you have kids regardless seems like a solid policy.

that’s anywhere between 6.5g to 48.9g for a 16.3kg child. 65 100mg gummies would do it with the rat numbers or 480 gummies with the dog numbers which is a little high. if we could get a picture of the jar, then get goons to guess how many gummy bears would fit in the jar, we could probably calculate the LD50 from that

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Obama2 posted:

if we could get a picture of the jar, then get goons to guess how many gummy bears would fit in the jar

man I'm bad at that game

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
So what you're saying is it just takes one 30 gram gummy

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

https://twitter.com/iambillary/status/1585079185206235137

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

the milk machine posted:

whoah you have a pipe made of brass??

hell yeah, it's one of my faves. old skool chamber pipe from the 70s

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

fuckin mouse ate my sourdough loaf so now I'm getting ideas

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Loucks posted:

This is a pretty good Drug Scare article. It doesn’t say anywhere that THC killed the kid, but both the reporter and cop in the linked statement drat sure imply that as hard as they can.

Unfortunately it does

"NBC Washington reported that an autopsy found THC — the ingredient in marijuana that gets people high — was the cause of death."

For sure be careful with the weed candy around childs cause that little bastard will eat a kilogram of weird tasting gummies easy.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
how and why. if there's actually a reasonable lethal dose for kids I feel like that's something to tell people

my guess is that the kid died of something normal that kids die of like cutting themself or a plastic bag or something while high. not sure how much i trust the parenting skills of someone that leaves a giant rear end thing of edibles sitting out

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

really sucks rear end for that mother, goddamn :( what a fuckin nightmare

that's so crazy to me, like I could see an edibles OD causing your heart to start beating really fast and hyper-high-anxiety (especially without knowing what's happening) causing your heart to fail or something, but THC itself being the cause... this feels like the inverse of "died with covid, not of covid." like the article even says the kid died two days after ingestion, that sounds... extremely not like THC poisoning though honestly I have no fuckin idea what that would sound like

sure is good that the last few decades have really made it easy to trust both state death explanations and corporate media shitheads

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
It sounds more like an extreme amount of active ingredient in the blood stream cause multiple organ shutdown.
Cannabinol has such an insane LD50 because it doesn't override normal body function it has it's own system it interacts with, but a little tiny person would probably have a hard time filtering out blood toxicity levels of THC.

2 days sounds about right for kidney shutdown.

Again we really don't know how much he ate

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Recent cannabis use and myocardial infarction in young adults: a cross-sectional study

As cannabis is finally studied at an appropriate scale we're going to keep finding negative health consequences from use, too many people fall into the trap of thinking less harmful (Than alcohol, tobacco, etc) is the same as not harmful.

If cannabis had anywhere near the dire effects on your body that alcohol does we'd already have a pretty good idea of it, but it's not entirely without medical consequence to users.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i swear when this story first started giving coverage they were saying the kid ate the gummy(s) and died days later which makes it seem like they ran a blood panel and went "yep he was high on them marijuanas and thats what did it"

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
it's impossible to speculate accurately between the moms statement (which is obviously a lie), the cops assumption based on an empty container (which is meaningless (can you imagine how many empty weed containers i have kicking around)) and the autopsy report not being public.

I would assume the blood test would be pretty definitive on the cause of death but the exact reason for the mechanical failure in the body is harder to prove, organ shutdown kills you but what actually caused the organ shutdown is up to interpretation.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Wheeee posted:

Recent cannabis use and myocardial infarction in young adults: a cross-sectional study

As cannabis is finally studied at an appropriate scale we're going to keep finding negative health consequences from use, too many people fall into the trap of thinking less harmful (Than alcohol, tobacco, etc) is the same as not harmful.

If cannabis had anywhere near the dire effects on your body that alcohol does we'd already have a pretty good idea of it, but it's not entirely without medical consequence to users.

I'd like to see this study done for different methods of cannabis consumption, considering this is for smoking weed and :smuggo: I vape.

E: I missed this paragraph

Smoking cannabis was the most prevalent primary method of consumption (76.3%, 95% CI 74.3%–78.4%) relative to vapourization (11.3%, 95% CI 9.8%–12.8%) and other forms of consumption, including edibles (12.4%, 95% CI 10.8%–13.9%).

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

yea it takes multiple consumption methods into consideration

it’s also a starting point, cross-sectional studies like these can highlight areas requiring further research but don’t independently prove anything

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

look, I've jammed burning plant matter into my mouth and lungs for 20+ years and

and

well I forgot my point but drat I love my steamroller

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
there's no way weed is worse for me than all the diet soda and microplastics i ingest

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I think people can probably agree that letting a child eat like 5000 mgs of THC is probably a bad idea even if it doesn't necessarily kill them

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Stevie Lee posted:

there's no way weed is worse for me than all the diet soda and microplastics i ingest

i would never put poison in my body i'm extremely health-conscious, i say as i spend two hours a day inhaling heavy diesel engine exhaust on my work commute

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

drat horror queefs posted:

I think people can probably agree that letting a child eat like 5000 mgs of THC is probably a bad idea even if it doesn't necessarily kill them

yeah I can get behind that i guess

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Bought weed.

Cat

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
the girls are looking so good

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
and of course the only girl that matters

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Extremely headbumpable.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

boya

here’s some more wasp pets I found outside. It’s freezing at night now so I think they’re sleeping :kiddo: or dying..

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

take my energy in hoping it's the later

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

tinctures were on sale so I grabbed some to try for the first time. after a couple days, seems like this tiny bottle should last longer than edibles usually do

anything worthwhile/interesting applications besides just under the tongue?

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

put it in drinks/food etc. but sublingual is the best way to use tincture imo

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
taking a tolerance break until Thanksgiving, please smoke a bowl for me

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
i almost universally only eat my weed but good to know

are the stiiizy vapes reputable?