Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

singateco posted:

Your favorite anime/manga makers are probably right-wing nationalist/militarist shitface just like FMA author lady, I'm sorry to say
unless you like Yugioh. Yugioh dude is cool

you know you can jack off to military uniforms and regimentation without being fascist you know right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what if masturbation is fash

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

DemoneeHo posted:

So I'm rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and i'm like Edward, you should have let the ice alchemist try to kill the Fuhrer

"Try" being the operative word, cause Bradley would have instantly wrecked ice guy even if the latter were at full strength

IIRC his plan was to freeze the capital so Father couldnt hit the big genocide button, which mightve actually worked

I think he even says "Do you know what shape this country is in?"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
alas as a filler character he was doomed from
the start

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

you haven't explained yourself so I'm guessing you completely made this poo poo up! gently caress you!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Let me take a stab at it. It's fascist because the country continues to exist despite the fact that not only was it built on a foundation of genocide, that was it's raison d'etre from the start and additionally one of the most high-profile war criminals in the government received a pardon and will likely become the leader at some point. The indigenous people are not granted sovereignty and incremental reforms appear to be the basis for hope going forward.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!

christmas boots posted:

Let me take a stab at it. It's fascist because the country continues to exist despite the fact that not only was it built on a foundation of genocide, that was it's raison d'etre from the start and additionally one of the most high-profile war criminals in the government received a pardon and will likely become the leader at some point. The indigenous people are not granted sovereignty and incremental reforms appear to be the basis for hope going forward.

So basically the ending of WWII?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Hodgepodge posted:

So basically the ending of WWII?

i mean probably a coincidence y’know?

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Dr. Killjoy posted:

you know you can jack off to military uniforms and regimentation without being fascist you know right?

yeah isn't the entire plot of fma like "look at this terrible fascist country" and then the main characters do a coup

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Akudama Drive is very good, that is all

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, there's that 'Resurrect John Brown and give him a Battlemech' meme going around, and I decided to do a thing. Maybe a t-shirt design or something, dunno. It's still a work in progress - I'm still tinkering with the mech design (Trying to find a balance bettwen Gundam and Eva), but I could use some help with the text - The NGE title is just a placeholder, I need something that captures the essence of John Brown by way of obtuse, overly verbose anime/game titles in the vein of 'Neon Genesis Evangelion' or 'Tactical Espionage Action'.

so far, all I've got are 'Revolutionary Abolitionist Catalyst/Incitement', or something like that.

McKilligan has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Jan 8, 2021

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Honestly I think I liked the first FMA Anime better than Brotherhood. It's been like a decade since I've seen either though.

Edit: From what I remember the first anime portrayed the genocide poo poo as being much graver than is portrayed in Brotherhood.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the second anime skipped over 99% of the poo poo from the first anime that was considered canon so people didn't have to watch it twice (also so you have to buy both shows i guess :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

animist posted:

yeah isn't the entire plot of fma like "look at this terrible fascist country" and then the main characters do a coup

loling remembering the Vic Mignogna stan group that was run by his mother, and the highest rank for a member in the group (reserved for vic himself) was "fuhrer-king"
you know, because it's just like what they called the leader in the anime! nothing alarming about that!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The weird part of original fma with young hitler though

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ToxicAcne posted:

Honestly I think I liked the first FMA Anime better than Brotherhood. It's been like a decade since I've seen either though.

Edit: From what I remember the first anime portrayed the genocide poo poo as being much graver than is portrayed in Brotherhood.

IIRC the first one didn’t show a lot of the genocide (although I think there was another one towards the end) but it did go a little heavy on the implied rape for that one girl, Rose, I think. It did make Mustang the one who murdered Winry’s parents though which was kind of a ballsy move

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Truga posted:

the second anime skipped over 99% of the poo poo from the first anime that was considered canon so people didn't have to watch it twice (also so you have to buy both shows i guess :v:

they're both on streaming; my preferred frankenstein is first 26 episodes of fma > episode 11 of brotherhood and then finish it out

or just watch both if you have time i guess

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

watched the following today:

Otherside Picnic has a great premise and I like the characters but I'm not sure if it works yet? I'm still pretty hype for it tho

Cells at Work! Code Black is like normal Cells at Work! in that it takes an idea that snappy in manga form and stretches it out a bit to far to work as an anime. The unhealthy body premise does kind of rule and how like, suicidal the cells are is a dark lol for me. I'll probably eventually drop it

Yuri Camp Season 2 camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Maya Fey posted:

genuinely curious why it wouldnt lol

i have no idea, i don't really know anything about ghibli stuff. i have nothing against anime and goons who go all gbs mt everest and xbox-ram crusade against it are weird, but i just haven't really watched anything besides spirited. i'd like to watch more though, it was a fun movie. i'll checkout porco rosso next.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

anim

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

McKilligan posted:

So, there's that 'Resurrect John Brown and give him a Battlemech' meme going around, and I decided to do a thing. Maybe a t-shirt design or something, dunno. It's still a work in progress - I'm still tinkering with the mech design (Trying to find a balance bettwen Gundam and Eva), but I could use some help with the text - The NGE title is just a placeholder, I need something that captures the essence of John Brown by way of obtuse, overly verbose anime/game titles in the vein of 'Neon Genesis Evangelion' or 'Tactical Espionage Action'.

so far, all I've got are 'Revolutionary Abolitionist Catalyst/Incitement', or something like that.

This is cool and my suggestion is JOHN X BROWN like gun x sword, thank you for listening. I like simple more than obtuse.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Or a wierd combination word like OVERABOLITIONIST RIDER BROWN like its a super robot show

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6riDJMI-Y8U

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

maybe speed grapher

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

an actual dog posted:

Otherside Picnic has a great premise and I like the characters but I'm not sure if it works yet? I'm still pretty hype for it tho

the lns are extremely fun. the author is a huge internet/urban legends dork and goes out of their way to even cite specific 2ch threads for inspiration

also very serious about the main characters being gay

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

deciding to get even more hype for yuri Stalker

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

oh god damnit the last thread had a post about Blindsight and i was curious where that poster had gotten that point of view on the story

but also, how come there’s no fun bleak scifi animes now? girls last tour did pretty well i thought

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

the lns are extremely fun. the author is a huge internet/urban legends dork and goes out of their way to even cite specific 2ch threads for inspiration

also very serious about the main characters being gay

im liking this guys vibe

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
C-SPAM: located in a parking lot between a sex shop and a crematorium > leftist anime: Saying this will also get you killed

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
C-SPAM: Saying this will get you killed - Report spam -> Block user

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

maybe speed grapher

speed grapher is a cool show

need more anime depicting the rich as the depraved perverts that they are

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Final Version - I have it on good authority that the japanese isn't TOO garbled.

McKilligan has issued a correction as of 04:35 on Jan 9, 2021

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Iron Blooded Orphans has some solid bits, the antagonists are almost 1 for 1 analogs for NATO, and resisted by child soldier mercenaries turned national liberation fighters.

There's a major emphasis on the ability of space-NATO to vilify its enemies by controlling the media narrative, and cynically using accusations of "illegal weapons" as a pretext while it stockpiles those same weapons in the vastest quantities, and massacres striking colonial workers on behalf of corporations.

The worst villain even paraphrases Sankara, from the imperialist perspective, explaining that it'd be a waste to kill non-ideological professional soldiers, and the important thing is wiping out the revolutionaries and colonial rebels.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Step into the grand tour
GRAND TOUR GRAND TOUR

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Megazone 23 seems pretty CSPAM to me.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

an actual dog posted:

Cells at Work! Code Black is like normal Cells at Work! in that it takes an idea that snappy in manga form and stretches it out a bit to far to work as an anime. The unhealthy body premise does kind of rule and how like, suicidal the cells are is a dark lol for me. I'll probably eventually drop it

Yuri Camp Season 2 camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp

Watched all these episode 1's and they were good.
Cells at Work! Season 2 also is airing this season.

So I'm a Spider, So What? is probably going to be cool and first ep was decent.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

net work error posted:

Watched all these episode 1's and they were good.
Cells at Work! Season 2 also is airing this season.

So I'm a Spider, So What? is probably going to be cool and first ep was decent.

aoi yuki gonna carry im a spider entirely on her voice acting and im ok with that

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bout to watch inuyashiki for the first time, mostly blind

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
kill la kill is an extremely horny anime built around the japanese pun of fascism = fashion by studio trigger and it is batshit. if you gave it a miss because of the aforementioned horniness, give it another shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

leftist anime BEASTARS is back, demonstrating why we must collectivize the distribution of pussy by having every character go completely batshit in its absence