Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
future boy conan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

*jeb! pose* finall,y my thread

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

crepeface posted:

kill la kill is an extremely horny anime built around the japanese pun of fascism = fashion by studio trigger and it is batshit. if you gave it a miss because of the aforementioned horniness, give it another shot

Kill la kill is an embarrassingly anime anime to the point of being completely repellent

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Good soup! posted:

Kill la kill is an embarrassingly anime anime to the point of being completely repellent

The first three eps are good tho

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!
not strictly and anime, but the only time i've encountered sometime too anime to be bearable is disgaea and that was at least half down to being painfully saccharine which i guess is nic soft or whatever's thing and a monkey cheese sort of humor that lead to a weird buck rodgers parody when i wanted to be carving a bloody path through hell

in conclusion thank you for listening to this deeply personal trauma from which i immediately recovered because none of my college roommates were judgy

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hodgepodge posted:

not strictly and anime, but the only time i've encountered sometime too anime to be bearable is disgaea and that was at least half down to being painfully saccharine which i guess is nic soft or whatever's thing and a monkey cheese sort of humor that lead to a weird buck rodgers parody when i wanted to be carving a bloody path through hell

in conclusion thank you for listening to this deeply personal trauma from which i immediately recovered because none of my college roommates were judgy

I liked the wierd buck rogers parody. I liked that the hell senate involves you beating the poo poo out of all dissentors, and you can abhuse the combination mechanic to get more votes by throwing weak anti senators onto higher level pro senators

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!

Meme Emulator posted:

I liked the wierd buck rogers parody. I liked that the hell senate involves you beating the poo poo out of all dissentors, and you can abhuse the combination mechanic to get more votes by throwing weak anti senators onto higher level pro senators

lol i forgot that part, that sort of owns

im sure there was a lot to love about that game but most of it just fell flat for me

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

crepeface posted:

kill la kill is an extremely horny anime built around the japanese pun of fascism = fashion by studio trigger and it is batshit. if you gave it a miss because of the aforementioned horniness, give it another shot

i see it didn’t even take 2 pages for perverts to start telling on themselves. true successor to the og anime thread

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

crepeface posted:

alternatively watch Promare which is all the great parts of kill la kill minus the extremely awkward parts and crammed into 1 hour 45 minutes of gay dudes being awesome

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
New She-Ra is honorary anime and good imho.

Also very gay.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Anyone whose ever been turned on by the symbolic representation of sex must be killed

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!
leftist things should be horny but avoid being creepy surely this can't be that hard

thinking about the forums and not feeling great for the chances of this ideal

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmlwhaEEgE

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySnuPN_3Xts

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqpqK64yjQY

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

not to be that guy that thinks 90s anime was better (anime now definitely has a bigger variety of art styles and overall higher quality)

but it's hard to beat this poo poo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky6UsOPjjHY

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!

KaptainKrunk posted:

not to be that guy that thinks 90s anime was better (anime now definitely has a bigger variety of art styles and overall higher quality)

likewise not to do the it was better before it was popular thing, but there's still a bit of an underground vibe that attaches to the older stuff in the west, perhaps in part to the specific choices of what to translate for the westerns market playing into this. lots of wild ideas and cyberpunk scifi.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

singateco posted:

Your favorite anime/manga makers are probably right-wing nationalist/militarist shitface just like FMA author lady, I'm sorry to say
unless you like Yugioh. Yugioh dude is cool

i liked Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei but it's hard to imagine that its traditionalist overtones aren't meant to be at least a little pro-fascist

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the 90's anime that anyone remembers is pretty fuckin' sweet. the rest of it was forgotten for a reason.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the 90's anime that anyone remembers is pretty fuckin' sweet. the rest of it was forgotten for a reason.

it's very top heavy. there's definitely a huge gap between like Giant Robo, Evangelion, Ghibli stuff, Cowboy Bebop, Kawajiri's work, Mamoru Oshii's stuff, Utena, Lain, LOGH, Berserk, the good sports/comedy/slice of life stuff on the one hand and then like...everything else that has been entirely dustbinned

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

KaptainKrunk posted:

it's very top heavy. there's definitely a huge gap between like Giant Robo, Evangelion, Ghibli stuff, Cowboy Bebop, Kawajiri's work, Mamoru Oshii's stuff, Utena, Lain, LOGH, Berserk, the good sports/comedy/slice of life stuff on the one hand and then like...everything else that has been entirely dustbinned

you ever think about the fact that LOGH was an OVA and was sold in like 25 episode chunks for nearly $700 a pop. 2500 yen an episode! a steal!

animist
Aug 28, 2018

wolfs posted:

oh god damnit the last thread had a post about Blindsight and i was curious where that poster had gotten that point of view on the story

my hot take on Blindsight and Echopraxia is that peter watts is basically a coward attached to feeble positivist notions of consciousness. He wants to believe he's totally rational and in control of himself, and he's terrified of letting go of that illusion of control.

all his characters -- both human and alien -- reflect his fear of alternative ways of thinking (from the standard western model). nobody and nothing in his books can be cognitively different without being "broken", insane or sociopathic or a cold paperclip maximizer.

like don't get me wrong, the novels are creative and all. but the moral of Echopraxia is basically just "wouldn't it be spooky if your brain... did stuff without asking you???"

like, dude, I don't mind when it does that. it's pretty cool to have a heartbeat actually.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZjB9RNoD5Q

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

eizouken is so good and im so happy it seems it made a lot of my friends into as big of dorks about animation (and specifically anime) as a medium as i am

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
all anime is horny and none are free from sin. anyway, the following video came across my feed, so i was reminded of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdeJ1FKdiQE

also, another horny anime is food wars. i haven't watched the later seasons but it looks like they've adapted the manga storylinf of starting a resistance force against a food fascist complete with military uniforms who wants to control how all cuisine should be enjoyed.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

crepeface posted:

drat now i have a smart reason to look at big tits and swords. thanks man, can i get an invite to your discord server?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

likewise not to do the it was better before it was popular thing, but there's still a bit of an underground vibe that attaches to the older stuff in the west, perhaps in part to the specific choices of what to translate for the westerns market playing into this. lots of wild ideas and cyberpunk scifi.

i think the 90s was the last gasp of all the animators that grew up in the student protest movement so you see all that grungy, pro-revolutionary stuff

as opposed to the 00s era of "fascism, but twee"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
horny is *not* praxis.

sex is capitalism.

procreation is production. does that mean something? I think so. someone else take over

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!

christmas boots posted:

horny is *not* praxis.

sex is capitalism.

procreation is production. does that mean something? I think so. someone else take over

we deeply regret to inform you that there is no ethical horny under capitalism. i apologize for the near 100% probability that this phrase made you think of sonic the hedgehog (if it didn't then, um, whoops i guess).

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

animist posted:

my hot take on Blindsight and Echopraxia is that peter watts is basically a coward attached to feeble positivist notions of consciousness. He wants to believe he's totally rational and in control of himself, and he's terrified of letting go of that illusion of control.

all his characters -- both human and alien -- reflect his fear of alternative ways of thinking (from the standard western model). nobody and nothing in his books can be cognitively different without being "broken", insane or sociopathic or a cold paperclip maximizer.

like don't get me wrong, the novels are creative and all. but the moral of Echopraxia is basically just "wouldn't it be spooky if your brain... did stuff without asking you???"

like, dude, I don't mind when it does that. it's pretty cool to have a heartbeat actually.

pretty sure they're about how cool monism is but go off

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

christmas boots posted:

horny is *not* praxis.

sex is capitalism.

reproduction of labor power

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

christmas boots posted:

horny is *not* praxis.

sex is capitalism.

horny is praxis you fool

you moron

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

KaptainKrunk posted:

wow, this puts all the CGI poo poo to absolute shame

re-watched Akira recently and had the exact same feeling

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Gasaraki was an interesting 90's anime, clearly taking influence from GITS, but perhaps also influencing GITS:SAC after it. I don't remember much about the story, aside from it being a somewhat impenetrable near-future political drama with mechs. The aesthetic was sort of dark and gritty, with lot of references to noh theater and Japanese religion. Watching the opening really brings me back to that late 90's zeitgeist. I wish current anime was more like this.

It was prolly super fash tho.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Jan 11, 2021

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

wow, this puts all the CGI poo poo to absolute shame

re-watched Akira recently and had the exact same feeling

lol if you think everything from the 80s or 90s looks like Akira

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Patlabor 2, animated or otherwise, is an outstanding movie

I know the original dub by Manga Entertainment is flawed and has some oddities in the script, but I'll be god damned of Peter Marinker doesn't completely own at Goto and the redub just seems, idk, a bit lifeless? Like the acting isn't bad and the script is more accurate but it just seems like everyone is going through the motions

(And the old script wasn't completely off the mark either, just some differences in the localization, phrasing, etc but I might be wrong so feel free to correct me lol)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

animist posted:

lol that's kind of a good point. besides my brain is giving me the wrong emotions all the time, it's not spooky as much as annoying

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Good soup! posted:

Patlabor 2, animated or otherwise, is an outstanding movie

I know the original dub by Manga Entertainment is flawed and has some oddities in the script, but I'll be god damned of Peter Marinker doesn't completely own at Goto and the redub just seems, idk, a bit lifeless? Like the acting isn't bad and the script is more accurate but it just seems like everyone is going through the motions

(And the old script wasn't completely off the mark either, just some differences in the localization, phrasing, etc but I might be wrong so feel free to correct me lol)

gently caress yeah Manga Entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCbUMEooHhI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i refuse to watch a lupin dub where he doesnt use the term fujicakes