Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bro Dad posted:

i refuse to watch a lupin dub where he doesnt use the term fujicakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

an actual dog posted:

lol if you think everything from the 80s or 90s looks like Akira

akira is a live action documentary tho :shrug:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

an actual dog posted:

lol if you think everything from the 80s or 90s looks like Akira

Yeah, Akira is cheating

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

if y'all ain't seen jin-roh somehow go watch that, it's loving pretty

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Bro Dad posted:

i refuse to watch a lupin dub where he doesnt use the term fujicakes

the pioneer dub is legit so good, the only thing i dont like about it is shoehorning in modern refs. i dont need to hear jigen talk about ebay. i'm sure there was a tough/way too old joke they translated it to but they went the wrong direction with it

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxjL3OmzMfs

"This is grandpa's suppository holder!"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

crepeface posted:

kill la kill is an extremely horny anime built around the japanese pun of fascism = fashion by studio trigger and it is batshit. if you gave it a miss because of the aforementioned horniness, give it another shot
i started watching this late yesteday night. i dont have any other frame of reference for anime besides spirited away but i'm 3 eps in and it's been v enjoyable

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Bokura wa naku tame ni umareta wake ja nai yo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7myzgxz9nI

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Xaris posted:

i started watching this late yesteday night. i dont have any other frame of reference for anime besides spirited away but i'm 3 eps in and it's been v enjoyable

keep us updated if you turn into a horned up sex freak!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoieEbdnW2Y

A boy from a grim future Earth is recruited by a mysterious woman to take a journey on a steam train shaped spaceship to Andromeda to fulfill his greatest goal, to receive a robotic body which will enable him to live forever. On the way he sees how people are treated by this upper class of immortals (and by the systems required to maintain their lives), and how even the ones who aren't evil are dissatisfied, and questions whether this is even a thing that he should want.

There is a rather long TV series from the late 70s, two theatrical movies from the early 80s, and some assorted side stories I've not watched. The TV series is better than the movies, narratively, though the movies aren't bad.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Hodgepodge posted:

not strictly and anime, but the only time i've encountered sometime too anime to be bearable is disgaea and that was at least half down to being painfully saccharine which i guess is nic soft or whatever's thing and a monkey cheese sort of humor that lead to a weird buck rodgers parody when i wanted to be carving a bloody path through hell

I think my journey from weeb to casual anime viewer began when I had a roommate who was playing Disgaea.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

you ever think about the fact that LOGH was an OVA and was sold in like 25 episode chunks for nearly $700 a pop. 2500 yen an episode! a steal!

Watch LOGH folks, it's good

Old Berserk too.

TheLaundryGoon
Jan 11, 2021

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

recognizing that one needs a break from the forums exists on what you might call a spectrum of dignity. on one end is just drifting away for a bit and on the other is seraph84 or whatever it was. in between lies comedy and regret.
Hey gently caress you buddy, I take breaks too! I'm just coming off a week break right now! One time I took a full 3 months!

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

err posted:

Watch LOGH folks, it's good

110 episodes is a loving lot but its so worth it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I'm about 7 episodes into Re:Zero and the main character is kind of obnoxious but likng it so far. I feel like in most other shows the death would be treated as a minor inconvenience to a pretty OP ability but it's done a pretty good job selling the fact that the trauma of constantly dying would gently caress you up mentally in pretty short order.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

kill la kill is an extremely horny anime built around the japanese pun of fascism = fashion by studio trigger and it is batshit. if you gave it a miss because of the aforementioned horniness, give it another shot

the latter half of klk kinda falls apart, but the early eps own

also it gave us the owl day meltdown post so it can't be bad :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGqMPFmPWZ8

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

christmas boots posted:

I'm about 7 episodes into Re:Zero and the main character is kind of obnoxious but likng it so far. I feel like in most other shows the death would be treated as a minor inconvenience to a pretty OP ability but it's done a pretty good job selling the fact that the trauma of constantly dying would gently caress you up mentally in pretty short order.

Yeah, it’s drat good. I’m glad it’s airing again. Watching Subaru’s brain turn into jello is really compelling. There’s even a plot reason for why he doesn’t become a complete husk of a person, because the show totally embraces the idea that his experiences absolutely would wreck anyone

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm queued up to follow eight anime this season helpp

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

an actual dog posted:

I'm queued up to follow eight anime this season helpp

it owns so much all the covid delayed anime is fuckin back just as covid is getting way worse in japan

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
actually klk is good

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Stoked about Hajime no Ippo and the upcoming blu-ray release, it's a shame the dub is loving trash because if it got a good one it would have been perfect Adult Swim fodder with its mix of drama and dick and poo poo and fart and bro jokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4exGlfooSOA

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Xaris posted:

You watched all the good eps.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

BULBASAUR posted:

actually klk is good

The First Half Of <----- Insert this in to fix your statment

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

It might be closer to the first third? Because the climax tournament of the first half sux too. Once you get to Gamagooris car its gonna be downhill

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 12:31 on Mar 21, 2023

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

Truga posted:

the latter half of klk kinda falls apart, but the early eps own

also it gave us the owl day meltdown post so it can't be bad :v:

requesting the meltdown post

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Good soup! posted:

Stoked about Hajime no Ippo and the upcoming blu-ray release, it's a shame the dub is loving trash because if it got a good one it would have been perfect Adult Swim fodder with its mix of drama and dick and poo poo and fart and bro jokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4exGlfooSOA

Dragonball Z has power levels, Hajime Ippo has dick sizes.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I think it's because when it came out there was the thing about it saving anime and being a game changer or whatever but instead of something like say cowboy bebop, it was just horny annoying cringeworthy ultra anime poo poo that a vocal contingent of anime fans couldn't shut the gently caress up about

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Good soup! posted:

I think it's because when it came out there was the thing about it saving anime and being a game changer or whatever but instead of something like say cowboy bebop, it was just horny annoying cringeworthy ultra anime poo poo that a vocal contingent of anime fans couldn't shut the gently caress up about

its fine. action anime made by trigger. no idea what people expect out of it

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Good soup! posted:

thats every anime though

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

sound like there should be a warning of some sort...

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Action anime made by trigger which was the first major project they had after splitting from Gainax. I think everyone wanted Gurren Lagaan 2

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Good soup! posted:

I remember when Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann aired too

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

SerCypher posted:

thats every anime though

lmao right? every single season i feel like i see dozens of people hyping up some B grade shonen anime as the greatest anime of all time, i really dont understand how this is any different

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
there never has nor will there ever be anything in anime that Gilgamesh didn’t do first and better.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Western interest in anime went through a bubble period in the 00s that popped really badly, leading to a low period from 2008 to 2012 where there wasn't even Toonami on TV. Kill la Kill came out right when the new streaming era had established itself and people really started being into anime again, and it's been regularly available since. Hits a bunch of weird buttons for goons too lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tbh outside of maybe One Piece, I haven't been in any nerd circles that have talked endlessly about a particular anime every few seasons being The Incredible Savior of the Medium so idk what to tell you, for some reason klk was loving everywhere and given how particularly loving awful it is, perhaps that's just what makes it stick out even more

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

genuinely do not understand how so many ppl continue to have such strong opinions (in either direction) about klk, that poo poo aired 6-7 years ago.

it's a semi-popular show that gets horny more than once.

Hodgepodge posted:

requesting the meltdown post

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Hey everyone! I don't wanna yell at anyone while I'm all tired and about to lay down for bed, so now I'm rested and ready to type. My guess is that all of you pretty much think I don't spend any time thinking about the kind of probations I hand out, but I really actually really really do. I've been your moderator for about 22 months now, and this entire time I've been working on this post I'm posting right now, sort of like a state of the address or something, or like a supreme court opinion on adtrw. Anyway, onto the meat of the matter, I feel that alot of you are being too hard on Japan, the writing doesn't deserve the constant derision it receives because it's not terrible, it's just mediocre. If you're being too hard on shows for being just medocore then you're sort of going to be driving away our main clientele, which as a moderator is my top priority to protect. I know tokyo ghoul or tomo-chan or franxx or whatever is mediocre to all of you but people coming here from crunchyroll and reddit are not going to enjoy a wall of "It's terrible" if they're here to discuss their new favorite anime or manga. On the point of being too hard on japan, all of you know that japan has been through alot in the past century, and if satoshi kon's work is any indication into the goings on inside japan and specifically the anime industry, then japan was pretty much like a sea of porcupines before the 2011 tsunami. I see such a dramatic change in the soul of anime because of the tsunami and I feel that kill la kill was an embodiement of that change. Love hina was filled with hope and ambition and stayed focused around those themes well into negima, but now anime is so filled with anger, and I think all of you need to relax a little with the negativity towards what is an isolated island nation trying to reach out to the world just because you thought their writing was lackluster. They were just annilihated by the most powerful tsunami we've ever seen and there wasn't a country in the world 1/10th as prepared for tsunamis as japan was, and then a nuclear meltdown followed and it's like an infected wound in the soul of japan. There is hope in anime still, but it's a nation in mourning, and in recovery, so just take it easy. There doesn't need to be a massive ban storm for you guys to get the picture because I know how much smarter all of you are than the rest of the forums and as an aside if you hadn't realized it yet, I'm not going to be flinging insults at anyone, ever, it's not who I want to be.

christmas boots posted:

there never has nor will there ever be anything in anime that Gilgamesh didn’t do first and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSPKAB70xtg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 23:40 on Oct 22, 2023