Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
does Spirited Away count as anime? i just saw that for the first time a couple of months ago, it was very good. i havent seen the rest of ghibli stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Maya Fey posted:

genuinely curious why it wouldnt lol

i have no idea, i don't really know anything about ghibli stuff. i have nothing against anime and goons who go all gbs mt everest and xbox-ram crusade against it are weird, but i just haven't really watched anything besides spirited. i'd like to watch more though, it was a fun movie. i'll checkout porco rosso next.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

crepeface posted:

kill la kill is an extremely horny anime built around the japanese pun of fascism = fashion by studio trigger and it is batshit. if you gave it a miss because of the aforementioned horniness, give it another shot
i started watching this late yesteday night. i dont have any other frame of reference for anime besides spirited away but i'm 3 eps in and it's been v enjoyable

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

an actual dog posted:

goons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

an actual dog posted:

there was a beautiful episode of yuru camp today where two girls ate delicious eel and had a nice talk about their lives, and you're putting one brain cell towards thinking about this crap

thank you for mentioning this show. it's very good. so far thanks to this thread ive now seen spirited away, porco rossu, klk, and now yurus camp (still on s1 though). its a very gorgeous heartwarming show

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

an actual dog posted:

:yeah: !! The other heavy hitting shows in the genre are Non Non Biyori, K-ON, Hidamari Sketch, and if you stretch it a little A Place Further Than The Universe tho that one is gonna make you cry.

ok neat i'll put them on Plex. thats the sum of my entire anime experience but i'm down to watch more and i enjoy watching steaming hot bowls of soup and dumplings. what about Restaurant to Another World, is that any good?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

an actual dog posted:

I didn't get super into that but it's definitely worth a shot. I haven't watched a ton of food shows, the ones that really stuck with me are Silver Spoon (about an agricultural high school) and Wakakozake (the episodes are only 2 minutes long but you'll get it if you check the first episode)
Alright cool, I'll put em on the list too. fwiw I didn't intend to be looking for "food show" per se, in that it's known for being only all about food, just I enjoy stuff where it's gorgeous scenes of people are sitting around eating some nice looking steaming dumplings and talking or whatever in between other things happening like Yuru Camp and such. but those look good.

What about some action-y ones? I did enjoy KLK a lot even though i don't have a frame of reference.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i've now caught up with yuru camp. very good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
watch Laid Back Camp you freakin goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
ya'll should be watching Yuru Camp / Laid-back Camp
season 2 ends this thursday :smith: now im sad because i have nothing else to replace it with

kinda mixed feelings on Silver Spoon so far. it doesnt help Plex/Sonarr massively hosed up the episode/season arrangement and I didn't notice and scrambled around midway trying to fix it. i didn't realize it wasn't wrapped up in s2 though and it's been 7 years since it last aired, so thats a bummer.