Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The greatest injustice is that there will be no second season of My Roommate is a Cat.

It's about a cat that goes from living on the street to living with a human so it's basically an isekai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Soma Cruz arc when?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Castlevania's biggest sin was the erasure of Grant DaNasty.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Can't wait for the HxH guy to also die with all his characters also permanently stuck on a boat.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

Yeah 9 eps in to s2 of promised neverland and that's a ton of convenient plot points happening all at once

Season 2 of TPN is maybe one of the most baffling things I've seen out of an anime studio in the modern era. most shonen is about milking the fanbase for as long as possible, but TPN just decided to condense 3/4 of the plot into one season and end it with a slideshow that makes no sense unless you've read the manga.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

galagazombie posted:

The Anime went to poo poo because after the terrible Manga finale ended the franchises profit potential the producers told them they weren't going to fund more seasons so just throw together something on zero-budget to fulfill contractual obligations and milk whatever little money from fans there was left through pre-orders of the disc-set. Plus there's the fact that a huge amount of anime these days exist (and are funded) mainly as vehicles to push interest and sales of the still ongoing source material. And since the Promised Neverland source material had ended (regardless of if it had ended bad or good) the anime lost a lot of its reason for existing.

Can't wait for Demon Slayer Season 2 to be animated by A-1 pictures and come out looking like way of the househusband.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

on one hand, I get why Demon Slayer got huge. It has charming characters and decent fight scenes and the anime is fantastic looking. On the other, I don't get how it was the manga that finally broke the One Piece streak and sold a ridiculous 82 million volumes.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

The head captain dies

As does every fluff villain

Quincies are the only people who have the capability of actually annihilating a soul rather than just pushing it forward through the cycle of reincarnation, so pretty much the only ones who actually die during the series are the losers who get owned in the final arc and the miniboss villain in Hueco Mundo that's there just so Uryu can be not useless for a couple chapters.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

All shonen series tend to do their supporting casts dirty to one degree or another but Bleach was particularly bad. The only side characters that got good fights were the ones that were still kinda villains like Kenpachi and Kurotsuchi.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my favorite thing about bleach is how it never introduced terminology for a ghost dying despite that being pretty much the only thing the manga was about. most of the ghosts did not die, due to popularity or kubo's bad writing habits. but this does not change that the various ghosts were constantly brought to the edge of ghost-death. another funny bit was how most of the important ghosts were nobles, meaning they were the result of ghosts bumping ghost uglies and pumping out ghost babies. they were never human. ghost

Burn the Witch implies that there are multiple afterlives and where you go when you die primarily depends on your geographic location at time of death.

Kubo's cosmology is wild.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

are you talking about the domme lady because she was brought back to life by the war-crimes captain in the final arc

Oh yeah I forgot Uryu doesn't actually kill her. She gets killed by the assassination guy.

I almost thought Uryu actually accomplished something at some point in the series.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

Tanjiro feels like he works cause he's cartoonishly nice and that's his most defining trait but his niceness doesn't get in the way of his goals or his effectiveness, doesn't stop him from standing up for himself, and ends up becoming a boon for him more than anything.

it seems like every fight in KNY ends with the demon telling a sob story about how they eat humans because no one loved them or whatever and Tanjiro's like "that's super sad but you still gotta die, dude."

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Rewatching Samurai Champloo and it's way better than I remember it being.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

It's really good, y'all!

I think it was kind of a victim of its own hype back when it first came out, being Watanabe's follow up to Bebop. removed from those expectations it's a very good show but people expected the next bebop.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Champloo was insanely popular at the time it came out. wtf are you talking about?

I remember the reaction being more mixed but all I have to go on are memories from 15 years ago so I could be talking out of my rear end.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

lmao so many nerds will be big mad that Faye doesn't have her hooters hanging out constantly.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

My biggest issue is that Spike's suit really doesn't translate well to live action. It looks weird that a guy who has to do kung fu and gunfights constantly would wear something that would restrict his movement so much.

like that promo still that's clearly from the vicious chapel fight. He's bloodied and scuffed up but that slimfit single breasted suit coat is still buttoned and immaculate. This might just be a me issue but it looks super weird to me.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

New baki season out
I wonder if yujiro was deployed on iraq

Yujiro exists beyond state borders. The US knows that their military could never defeat him, he's basically allowed to exist as a stateless walking god. No one in Iraq would be a challenge for him to fight so there's no reason for him to ever go there.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

Ed isn't non binary though, her name is just Edward and she repeatedly says she's a girl iirc

Umm if you would consult my headcanon I believe you would find...

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I can't wait until we get Netflix's live action AOT and all the death and destruction is responded to with whedonesque "well that just happened" non jokes.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

christmas boots posted:

It also suffers from that thing where writers have no sense of scale since he ends up killing about 80% of all life on earth which I'm pretty sure just means everyone's completely hosed in the long-term.

This was a problem from the very beginning of the show.

The people in charge of the city decide to just ice 25% of their population in like episode 2 for the lulz. The scout regiment takes laughably huge casualties throughout that make no sense, especially since there's no real mention of people getting conscripted into the scouts and basic training in universe takes 3 years. There's no way they would be able to come close to replenishing their numbers. You gotta just roll with the idea that the huge numbers being thrown around are there for dramatic effect.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

genericnick posted:

They ice 25% of the population because they lost a large part of the arable land. The scouts lose a lot of people but most of the mass causality events are years apart. What?

They say that the scouts take about 30% casualties on every mission. That's a higher casualty rate than the battle of Antietam. any unit that suffered those kind of casualties regularly would find itself unable to replenish itself fast, particularly when you consider the time to train new recruits and the fact that only the biggest death wish psychos enter the scout corps because both entering the military and the scout corps specifically are voluntary.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I don't know if I can watch Jojo week to week. I gave up on GW about halfway through and just binged it when it was over.

Is the ED anywhere near as good as Jodeci?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

No idea why they swapped stone free with stone ocean but whtever
the setting being a jail helps the adaptation, where part 5 Italy could look kinda bland this season's prison looks the part

The same reason they localize all the stand names. Araki doesn't understand copyright.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Reik posted:

https://twitter.com/weedventoaureo/status/737868911908118530

I couldn't make it through the Giorno arc, got maybe halfway. Is there anything in there I need to know for Stone Ocean?

From what I understand part 5 is the most isolated of all the Jojo arcs. I don't think anything from it is necessary to know for future parts.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

christmas boots posted:

the best part of this is that we’re now one step closer to an adaptation of Steel Ball Run.

unless they use this season as a stopping point lmao

They're going to need to take a loooooong break after this season to give Araki more time to finish the Winds of Winter of manga.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

lol Jojolion has been running for over a decade at this point.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Golden Wind is still good, you shouldn't just skip it because you don't like Giorno's power.

It's no Diamond is Unbreakable.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

The whole time I was watching GW I was thinking that Sticky Fingers would have been a much better stand for a main protagonist, with GE probably being better on a side character too dumb to use it properly outside of a couple moments, basically the same way The Hand was in DiU. Sticky Fingers is a stand with a lot of really cool tricks and uses while not being too obviously godmode like Gold Experience or even Crazy Diamond.

also despite watching several videos about it and trying my hardest to understand it I still don't get how King Crimson works. It has the same problem as GE where it just does what the plot needs it to do. And I hate the final battle and the concept of Requiem stands in general.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Joeseph creeped and saw his mom naked lmao.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I literally got to the current last episode of AOT before I realized that there's still half a season left to go. This final season has been dogshit. I'll probably watch the back half after it's all aired to just see the end of the train wreck.

this show is pretty much the anime equivalent of Lost. huge mystery box where the driving force of the story is hoping for another lore dump so you’ll actually understand what’s happening, but after the show put all its cards on the table at the end of season 3 it just exposed how awful the plot and characters all are now that they have to carry the story.

Retromancer has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Dec 3, 2021

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

rewatching 1998s spriggan and it rocks so hard, they really just decided to make it go hard every scene
plus, you can make a case for it being anti imperialist if you want

all I remember about that movie is the dude being really into his knife having a knuckle guard and the kid with magneto powers somehow using them to move snow around.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

My take on AOT is that it's basically anime Lost. It was a mystery box show that when it put all its cards on the table at the end of season 3, just exposed how shallow its plotting and characterization was the whole time.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

So I started watching 86 Eighty Six on the recommendation of some anime tiktoker and so far it's pretty good. The premise is that in response to basically skynet happening a neighboring country built walls around itself, kicked all the non white people out of the country and pressed them into military service fighting the robots. I'm only a couple eps in but so far its pretty solid. Gives AOT crossed with Gundam vibes.

It's weird that Japan seems to have a lot of media involving purging minorities recently though.

Retromancer has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Jan 31, 2022

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

does the movie make the FMA anime ending make more sense?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Pitch posted:

I watched the Demon Slayer movie and I'm still confused about exactly what part of the train was infinite. The first season had several demons who can warp space to make mazelike building interiors people can't escape from, so I expected something like that. But actually the train was so finite that they specifically called out how the five protagonists could split up to cover the entire thing.

You didn't see the pair of time travelers playing the niche 2d fighting game Mugen in the background?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

christmas boots posted:

also fmab: I want to seize power and become the undisputed leader of this country so that I can put myself on trial for war crimes, because apparently no one else is going to do it.

The way that the ending of FMAB bends over backwards in order to shield the goody good boy war criminal Roy Mustang from facing any consequences for any of his actions is incredibly lol.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

christmas boots posted:

True, but to be fair if anything should earn you a pardon, helping kill God* seems reasonable enough.

*or Demiurge whatever

Like if they had shielded him from war crime tribunals, fine.

If they had done plot stuff to give him his eyesight back, fine.

But the fact that they did both and also gave him a promotion kinda irritates me.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I was going to say that this leaves Naruto as the last big shonen franchise not adapted into a lovely live action movie, but nope, they're doing that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

goddamn look at this poo poo. Half of these look like mediocre con cosplayers.