Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I thought the first 8 episodes of Season 4 of Attack on Titan were really good at criticizing war and nationalism and stuff but then it got more fascist-y and then went back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

christmas boots posted:

As a manga reader I'll just say there's a lot riding on the last chapter but generally speaking I think the narrative's opinion on fascism as an ideology is pretty clear and, while sympathetic and understanding to a degree as to why people go down that road, not supportive of it.

I thought how they built, early on, that there was a LOT of tension in the motivations of a lot of characters blimping in to Marley was really great story telling. Everyone is friends....for now, and they didnt really know at the time how divergent things would get.

All the stuff following Falco and Gabi is absolutely loving brilliant.

Havent read the manga. Dont intend to.

pillsburysoldier has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Apr 2, 2021

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Kit Walker posted:

I’m still at a complete loss as to how the show is going to end except I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be real bad for a lot of people. The only heroic figures left right now are all either dead or jailed and I think Armin is gonna be the dude who sorts everything out

Poor loving Bertolt. In any other story he'd be that hero. They never had a chance, the way they were raised

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I like my hero academia because most of the professional heroes kinda suck, all the hero-cops were just gonna let a kid die in the second episode, 2 major arcs follows 1) a character who believes professionalization of heroism is gross and fake and 2) another character whose entire syndicate is an evil subversion of Buddhism, whose man goal is to impose monetary/economic barriers on villains and professional heroes changing the systrmic licensing the government regulates into a biological one, that's pay to play. Though i dont like how the law enforcement apparatus never seems to be wrong or ill intentioned so far

Also the last four years were ghastly, so groups of kids coming together to accomplish big things really resonated with me as hopeful

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Too dorky

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dreddout posted:

I'd argue at heart it's a right wing show but that's mostly due to superheroes as a genre being right wing

also the MLA are literally patterned off of leftist guerilla movements, though their ideology is magneto poo poo in a world where everyone's an x-men
The standard hegemony under a blonde haired blue eyed strongman being a lie whose time is quickly running out is a bit on the nose

I dunno what mla is though . I only watch dubs

pillsburysoldier has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Apr 3, 2021

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

He's even decked out in red white and blue lol

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Also all might as a social icon being a way better teacher of heroism than all might the teacher.

I dunno there is a ton of really fun subtext to MHA that's played so straight that I'm never sure if the author intended for it or not.

"Crime goes down when a murderer targets only cops" is particularly wtf. Though that's explicit text

pillsburysoldier has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Apr 3, 2021

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Casey Finnigan posted:

e: MHA would have ended up being a hell of a lot better if it was about a powerless Deku getting through things with his knowledge and ingenuity, rather than just about a kid arbitrarily being handed the most powerful weapon in existence.

That was what he tried, exactly, before and no one liked it lol

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Is vigilantes gonna be made into an anime?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Relin posted:

what does that make all for one then

Cancel culture :smug:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Gantz is fascist

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

gantz is never coherent enough to be anything more than an idiotic spectacle.

Isnt it prettg explicitly about a termination squad forced to murder what are essentially alien refugees who aren't really bothering anyone?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's one of the early premises which was repeatedly contradicted and discarded. i think the final explanation was that the aliens are invaders and a different godlike race of aliens sent the gantz technology for no particular reason.

That last part happens a lot in the dudes stories. In Inuyashiki, the old man and teen are obliterated because of an alien's fender bender so they put their consciousnesses into robot bodies and hightail it out of there before they get in trouble

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Ostiosis posted:

Here lies eren, he never scored

Eren sucked so much the whole anime. That he had such devoted friends his whole life is somehow less believable than the rest of the show

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Aaron Sorkin Presents: Attack on Titan

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Spoilers, sheesh

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Gripweed posted:

In Gigant a lady with huge tits grows 500 feet tall to fight monsters naked.

Classy

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Trump in anime is always funny. They always make him out to be a selfish oaf, but they just cant really plug in to the sheer spectacle of Trump

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is good and extremely shitlib

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Oh hey season 5 dub of MHA dropped

Lol endeavor is such an abuser and dumbass weenie

Edit that sucked

pillsburysoldier has issued a correction as of 06:18 on Apr 12, 2021

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

err posted:

I loved the original Berserk anime. I should read the manga to find out what happened after the anime.

Faries and wizards, dude

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Vash the Stampede is a lib

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Mirello posted:

shut your dirty mouth.

He got wolfwood killed by Vash convincing him that he too could live in an unrealistic ethos, wolfwood not knowing that Vash is a literal superhuman alien with powers that can get him through his bullshit antics

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Hodgepodge posted:

wolfwood's weapon is literally a gigantic cross

Like a dog

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I will say about MHA, it does seem to nail annoying public tv discourse

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The Promised Neverland season 1 is good. Im 3 eps into seasons 2 and it got a little dumb but i dont see why people flipped out about it yet

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

God the children-in-war storyline for this last season of attack on titan is so loving good

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The Voice of Labor posted:

is there an anime that explains the bubble economy?

I feel like there should be

Dororo

Entitled to the sweat on your own brow? Lmao

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://youtu.be/H1YIgwPsX5Q

This is good anime

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

A NEET from the Big City Is Still Unemployed Here, too

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dororo is actually about bubble economies though.

Even though the creepy loving weirdos start to give the two child protagonists that regard each other as siblings some romantic feelings

But the horse ripping that guy's head off owned

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I like that Yaoyorozu is constantly coded as a rich kid and unintentionally snobby while Kendo, who is infinitely cooler, is down to earth and just as clever and more practical

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Invincible is an ok anime

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

a cyberpunk goose posted:

i just finished this yesterday and also thought it was "ok"

it even has the anime trappings of a 28 year old woman in a 14 year old body :anime: they barely stuck the landing on that one

I literally JUST watched a compilation of all of Javik's dialogue in Mass Effect before starting Invincible

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

HootTheOwl posted:

Legion is Robot, right?

Ya he was cool i think

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lmao people watch this?

Iunno dude, animation has to be extremely, extremely lazy/bad before i start noticing it while watching something i enjoy.

I noticed it for new berserk and when my gf tried to have me watch Re:Zero

God Re:Zero sucks

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

WrightOfWay posted:

Invincible's animation wouldn't really be out of place in your standard mid-budget shounen tv anime. The bigger problem is that the art style is painfully generic and intentionally so. All it's really got going for it to stand out visually is the few times it amps up the gore.
Yeah it seems like they REALLY skimped on funding episodes 2-7 and realized they had an assload of money for the last episode to do animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

christmas boots posted:

I know someone made this for season 1 and I haven't watched it yet, but I love the idea of a "successful loop" cut of the series that cuts out everything from the loops where he dies. He must seem so goddamn manic-depressive.

Dark Souls the animation