Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Step into the grand tour
GRAND TOUR GRAND TOUR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

crepeface posted:

kill la kill is an extremely horny anime built around the japanese pun of fascism = fashion by studio trigger and it is batshit. if you gave it a miss because of the aforementioned horniness, give it another shot

Kill la kill is an embarrassingly anime anime to the point of being completely repellent

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Patlabor 2, animated or otherwise, is an outstanding movie

I know the original dub by Manga Entertainment is flawed and has some oddities in the script, but I'll be god damned of Peter Marinker doesn't completely own at Goto and the redub just seems, idk, a bit lifeless? Like the acting isn't bad and the script is more accurate but it just seems like everyone is going through the motions

(And the old script wasn't completely off the mark either, just some differences in the localization, phrasing, etc but I might be wrong so feel free to correct me lol)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Stoked about Hajime no Ippo and the upcoming blu-ray release, it's a shame the dub is loving trash because if it got a good one it would have been perfect Adult Swim fodder with its mix of drama and dick and poo poo and fart and bro jokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4exGlfooSOA

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I think it's because when it came out there was the thing about it saving anime and being a game changer or whatever but instead of something like say cowboy bebop, it was just horny annoying cringeworthy ultra anime poo poo that a vocal contingent of anime fans couldn't shut the gently caress up about

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tbh outside of maybe One Piece, I haven't been in any nerd circles that have talked endlessly about a particular anime every few seasons being The Incredible Savior of the Medium so idk what to tell you, for some reason klk was loving everywhere and given how particularly loving awful it is, perhaps that's just what makes it stick out even more

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Some of the choices for what anime to signal boost with broadcasts in the us has been weird too

No idea why viz doomed Naoki Urasawa's Monster to being on that Chiller network instead of literally anything else, though it may have just been passed on by a few of those other late night blocks

That and Cromartie High School should have both been on AS god drat it, give em both the exposure they deserve

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

yeah urasawa is criminally underappreciated in the us, probably because the only work of his that got adapted into anime was monster and that got fuckin buried

shame, too, monster would have done numbers given how much people fuckin loved paranoia agent over here

all the weebs in my life try to get me to watch one piece and i just wish they would give it up (luffy)

Yeah it's super loving weird, Monster is something that at first glance could have mainstream appeal ala Bebop but I guess an animated drama without mechs or super powers is a hard sell

I also have no desire to watch One Piece because I can't stand the art style and lmao I'm not watching 10,000 loving episodes or whatever, holy poo poo

Larry Parrish posted:

theres like 4 animes i actually like because the first ones i saw was cowboy bebop, kiki's delivery service, my neighbor totoro, and stand alone complex lol. the standard for me is set so insanely high that 99% of the genre is basically unwatchable. well, and dbz, but i knew it was stupid as a kid; i basically thought of it as animated power rangers, which also sucked really bad but was cool regardless.

i remember trying to watch inyuasha because it came on toonami and just being like 'god people actually like this...?'

Honestly, I'm the same way most of the time, although as I say that I'm glancing at my shelf and I see Blu-rays/DVDs for:

-Cowboy Bebop (move and TV series)
-Fist of the North Star (movie and TV series, thank god for SDBD discs, entire series on three fuckin discs)
-DBZ Kai
-Akira
-Patlabor 2
-Vampire Hunter D (w/ Bloodlust)
-Berserk

DBZ is still good and entertaining as gently caress, especially with Kai cutting out the filler and the great dub job, I will stand by that easily

gay_crimes posted:

Naoki Urasawa's Monster owns and it sucks that it isn't available anywhere aside from randomly being available on youtube the last time I checked

Yeah, and it's even more loving stupid that you can get the entire series with the dub and all but only in Australia, Viz put out a single DVD release and decided welp not worth it, and had it on Prime/Netflix for a short amount of time before just taking it down from everywhere, why the gently caress wouldn't you at least keep it up for digital purchase :psyduck:

Sucks even more that HBO passed on Guillermo del Toro's proposed adaptaion of it too, which is another :psyduck: thing for me, I'm not sure how you look at that series treatment, see a guy like del Toro behind it and go "nah son" given the costs couldn't have been too high to produce it either (no CGI, no extravagant setpieces, etc)

Another weird thing is the differences in the soundtrack and I'm wondering if someone here can answer - the music for the dub had to be rearranged and moved around due to some licensing issues IIRC, so the original Japanese track and the English track have two different soundtracks

Thing is, the :filez: version that I got a while back has both and while they are indeed different, the soundtrack of the english dub mirrors the japanese soundtrack that was up on Netflix roughly a decade ago (if that makes sense). The Japanese language track on these rips, however, is completely different, and honestly nowhere near as good and tracks sound out of place which I'm aware is dumb because that's the original but eh :shrug:

For instance, the song that plays in ep 19 when Dr. Gillen goes into the basement and has the realization about the boy in the photo (some spoilers here) during the dub is something I'm 90% sure I I heard when I watched it on Netflix with subs wayyyy back when

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAP0uMU1qxI&t=741s

But in the subbed version that's online and everywhere else it's silence until a different song plays later in the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqHvT4kAGTQ&t=740s

What in the gently caress is this discrepancy lol, did the official Viz release change the soundtrack for both language tracks when it was officially available and all the other Japanese tracks taken from the original release?

Apparently it's sacrilegious among the fans, but honestly, I prefer what I first heard in the dub and that first video much of the time

Good soup! has issued a correction as of 15:32 on Jan 12, 2021

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

yeahhhhh that's a good point, it takes at least 4-5 episodes for the actual hook of the series to even begin to kick in, I forgot about that

that's probably my only complaint with the series as a whole, but at least it's not FOTNS where you can effectively skip about 75% of that first arc because those filler episodes are loving dire. still salty about the dub ending right when the series begins to hit its stride with the three brothers

e: also yeah, highly recommended if anyone hasn't seen it yet, Monster is one of those "Anime for People Who Wouldn't Like Anime" things where a few close friends who can't stand the thought of this poo poo have binged the entire thing

and that soundtrack is loving stellar, to the point that I'd be disappointed if a few of the tracks/motifs weren't used for the proposed live-action version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2WEZngxDFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrBSNa4ezzU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq_nK6KwK_A

Good soup! has issued a correction as of 15:57 on Jan 12, 2021

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

hahaha that's cool

I've talked too much about Monster but the only other thing I'll say is that is also the rare show that has an amazing last leg and finale

and mannn the last few minutes of that final episode :stare:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

It's somewhat open-ended but in a way that totally works for the plot, while providing enough closure for basically everyone

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

my issue with Korra is that it raised the stakes entirely too high with the antagonist in the second season - all the stuff with Vaatu, the spirit world, plunging the world into darkness, all that poo poo - that felt like it outweighed every antagonist after it

Bad Guy Anarchist and Bad Lady Fascist kinda pale in comparison to "I want to destroy absolutely everything because I'm a spirit who is thousands of years old and also directly connected to the origin of the Avatar"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Is there ever gonna be anything more outta the Vampire Hunter D franchise or is that firmly dead and buried

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it was a rather long series of books and very few of those have been adapted into other media. there was a cgi show that got stuck in development limbo a few years ago. otherwise yeah, pretty much dead.

drat that sucks, I always liked that universe

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO6atoWprlg

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

im sad FOTNS will likely never get the "broadcast tape audio" sort of :filez: release that DBZ got because god drat the audio for the TV show is an absolute mess

doing a rewatch while taking care of my kid at night and I made it to the scene where Raoh spares Toki and god drat what a great scene with some cool dynamics going on, but boy is this even sadder than I remember lol :smith:

It would be cool to see a remake of this show and rework a few of the more dated elements (that treatment of Mamiya uh yikes :chloe:) because so much of this is good and I'm forever salty that it still hasn't caught in on North America like it has in other places outside of Japan

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

net work error posted:

Patlabor 2 rocks hard

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-x65yPMBDw

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

so I forgot to keep up with the Discotek release of Hajime no Ippo and :drat: looks like it has already sold out everywhere I've seen online

loving dope, hope it keeps up and we get New Challenger and Rising down the line (and fingers crossed Madhouse does another season in the future)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mirello posted:

As someone who loves the show, and follows the manga, I'm ok if they don't make any more of the anime. I think it ended at a really good and hopeful point. If they did make new seasons, there's a lot they should cut out imo. And I dont see how you could do the last three years (since ippo retired

I can see that yeah, but I'd still like to see more just for the sake of seeing them try to animate Woli (lmao) and seeing Ippo with his brains scrambled might be good because Takamura and Sendo are both a million times cooler at this point imo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

There's Angel Cop where the real enemy is a Jewish conspiracy lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gimme another season of DB super gdi

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Got the first HJI collection in the mail, pretty sweet sleeve

But the inside:

lol who gives a poo poo about the fight with Oda??? :cmon:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

violence jack

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Eh, I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with Cowboy Bebop :shrug:

If it sucks, hey, it's not like the original will be going anywhere

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

slayers is excellent but its weird fixation on body shaming a 15 year old makes it kinda iffy for kids.

Zurtilik posted:

The "flat chested" girl with like C cups.

wtf

anime really was a mistake

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DBZ Kai is good and has a good dub if that's your thing

Could never get into Naruto because all the characters look dumb as poo poo and not in a goofy way, just stupid lol

Same with One Piece I guess, the art style doesn't jive with me

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The only bad thing about kai is the final chapters being cropped for widescreen with that weird rear end green tint to everything

The new music is good though - so good that a bunch of songs got reused for Super

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

One day, maybe one day, we will get a berserk adaptation that isn't truncated or just embarrassingly bad

Also lol at funimation going with Bang Zoom instead of NYAV with the original dub cast for the new seasons, it's like they knew it was terrible and didn't want to subject the original cast to it*

*The movies had the dub cast at least and they were flawed but not terrible imo, but a whole bunch of changes they made were pure :psyduck:, that Boscogn fight lmaooooo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

just watch Cromartie High School

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Also the dub for Kai is a massive improvement over Z, but the broadcast dub has some funny rear end poo poo in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68i7ray2Qo

Also unrelated but mannnnnn the dub for Hajime no Ippo is even loving worse than I remember, it isn't so much the cast but the poor direction and weird script, everybody just talks in one tone - scenes where characters are whispering or tired/raspy, the dub actors are just talking with the same exact voice as every other scene and it's loving dumb

Also Takamura sounds like a massive dork instead of a tough guy, kiss of fuckin death

And the pronunciation on the names lmao "MAKA NO OOOHCHI"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I rewatched all of DBZ a couple years ago and came to the conclusion that it's better than the manga or Kai. Sure, some of the filler episodes are pretty lovely. But a lot of the additions make the story better. In the manga, Bulma just vanishes halfway through the Namek arc. The show giving her her own little adventures is an improvement. The additional challenges along Snake Way make the story better. There are even a couple little glimpses of normal people reacting to the apocalyptic events of the show and they're great, there's nothing like that in the manga.

People talk about Kai as if it took out all the powering up, but there's still a lot of powering up. Most of the cuts aren't powering up, it's fun stuff like Goku in hell or Piccolo getting a driver's license.

Mannnnn agree to disagree - my recent attempt to watch a bit of Z didn't work out. For every neat episode like Krillin/Yamcha/Tien/Chiaotzu training against the fake Saiyans, the driving episode, and being stuck in HFIL, there is a massive amount that is an absolute slog to get through. So many staredowns that last for a solid minute, consisting of slow dissolves back and forth (lots of padding like this), Fake Namek, the orphans with Gohan early on, a bunch of Buu saga stuff that thankfully got axed with Final Chapters, it really adds up to a ton of useless bullshit that just wastes your time. Also, Z's dub has not aged well, even taking into account when Funimation went back and redubbed the Saiyan saga and part of the Namek saga before it catches up to the broadcast premiere and Goku's voice takes a solid backslide and you have Grandma Freeza and cringey scripts to listen to

You also have the Garlic Jr. Saga which has a cool idea - How would Earth fare without Goku saving the day constantly - but ends up being wack and should be tossed in the garbage

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bootleg Trunks posted:

The best part of dragon Ball GT is the theme song

The Japanese one not the US one

Oh man the opening and a few of the endings are superb, such a shame they got wasted on a wet farts of a show

When it comes to gundam, I enjoyed the original (with Char's Counterattack), 0080, 0083, and 8th MS Team the most

Subs are perfectly fine obviously but I do appreciate these shows all having solid dubs (for the most part)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TIL there was an attempt to dub Legend of the Galactic Heroes with Ocean Studios and im now super sad it never materialized because it sounds like it would have been pretty good given the era it was pitched

https://www.veoh.com/watch/v142025789msdEXkrh

Tbh i wish the series has a better title though :v:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://comicbook.com/anime/amp/news/dragon-ball-z-actor-freeza-christopher-ayres-hospital/

normal country, i bet even king cold gave his people healthcare

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah it's still fantastic

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

8th MS Team and original Gundam are both very good, I think the dubs for both are solid too

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

leftist anime: I don't want her pussy to be all sad and tired out.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Speaking of translations, I get the sense that Discotek's subs for Hajime no Ippo are too 1:1 at times, somewhat stilted lines sprinkled throughout and could have used some more of a localization touch?? If that's even a thing?

I don't remember the Geneon translation too well but I can't recall seeing as much near-awkwardly formal english lines as on these blu rays