Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I still got to get around to playing the VNs of v When they Cry i got them on a stream sale a few years ago and I did pick up the collection if the other anime seasons cause Sentai had a new year's sale and it was 15 bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

net work error posted:

Thread hasn't talked much about Urasekai but it's been cool. If you like Urasekai you might also like Yami Shibai which is a series of shorts that are spoOOooOOoky in a very japanese borderline silly kind of way

Ive been watching that, up to the kinde action series, and some if them leave me wondering wtf just happened

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

When the Final Cut update drops

What is this?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Vlad Love. I don't think it's any good, but it Mamoru Oshii threw in a bunch of weird jokes and references all over, so I just watched it for that.

Maybe I'll give it a watch I've watched far more garbage anime than I should have

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Saw one of those this is what you think X looked like 20 years ago, this is what is actually was 20 yeara ago with anime, and Dirty Pair and Naruto being the two examples, and I hit to say ita a shame Dirty Pair isn't streaming anywhere

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Srice posted:

Dirty Pair: Project Eden is legally on youtube at least, it has been helpful since it's easy for me to just link that to pals and tell them: this is the good poo poo right here, watch it.

I didn't realize that, going to have to watch that again

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nice I really liked SSSS Gridman and it was my first real exposure to Ultraman

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah but I haven't watched Power Rangers in like 25 years

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

cinnamon toast crunch and apple jacks

This one sounds pretty good

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oddtaxi is pretty drat interesting so far

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Oddtaxi is really good, I'm only two episodes in but I was not expecting this cute animal show to be so suffused with contemporary alienation, depression and dread. It's like Animal Crossing as directed by the Cohen brothers.

I think I go in for the theory so far that this isn't an animal world where they act like humans but how this guy sees the world. He's not actually a walrus but his self vision of it is maybe like a Japanese Wilford Brimley

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Serf posted:

local man mad about anime translation, reveals that he is a nazi

https://twitter.com/Locksneedfartin/status/1386000194844700672?s=20

warning, this thread does become incredibly hateful towards trans people after a certain point. reading it is like chasing colonel kurtz, things just become more and more batshit along the way

I heard Nagatoro described as an Anime for dudes that like to be stepped on

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Apr 25, 2021

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Did how bad 90s localization could be just convince the absolute most soft headed people that anything that isn't literal 1:1 translation is bad?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Office Pig posted:

and nonwhites

True

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a vocal minority of really weird anime fans are fundamentally opposed to the very concept of translation. this includes some translators.

Which I don't get as long as what was meant was conveyed what's the problem. It's one thing to point to how 4Kids did stuff, or how bad 90s videogame translations could be and wasnt to do better, but you still have to make it understandable to thr audience no matter if it's subs or dubs, a level of localization makes it not awkward and stilted.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dreddout posted:

Also I find the artstyle unpleasant to look at, but hey that's just my opinion

A lotta reactionary manga seems to revolve around "hero is transported into another world wherein he's stronger than God for an arbitrary reason".

Followed by said hero introducing the inhabitants to modern Japanese culture and neo liberal economics.

I dont understand the appeal of escapist power fantasies that essentially revolve around turning said fantasy into a copy of the real society you are trying to escape from but with elves

Because instead of at the bottom like in real life, you're at the top

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Wasn't one of those ship girl accounts funded by the JADF to advance Japanese militarism?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Why do so many anime include the elevator pitch in their title now?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

pillsburysoldier posted:

A NEET from the Big City Is Still Unemployed Here, too

This one sounds plausible

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

net work error posted:

JAV titles are even better. This twitter account is very funny. https://twitter.com/javdottxt

This kind if sounds like one

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I had a video on YouTube today recommended to me called the crimes of modem localization, or something like that that was 40 minutes long and I couldn't say gently caress that hard enough

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

drat, did one of the translations age up one of the love interests to 18

I don't know cause gun to my head you told me watch that video I'd tell you pull the trigger

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

yeah it kinda reminds me of the ComicsGate dipshits thinking any Marvel/DC comic introducing a non-white male character is IMMEDIATELY a sign of the EssJayDoubley00 menace

https://twitter.com/SarahKTranslate/status/1391471775674818561?s=19

Ita insane the tizzy people work themselves into. Like its been a long while since I read a translation or listened to a dub that I thought was awful. But idk I was always very forgiving of even the worst dubs when I was growing up

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Srice posted:

I hate myself so I looked at it and it was immediately the exact same bad, ignorant talking points that always get trotted out by these freaks, right now to the exact same examples. And then I look at their twitter and learned they might be a pedophile.

You are a glutton for punishment. That 100% tracks that he's a pedo

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I finally got around to watching Keep Your Hands off Eizouken, and drat was that good I binged through like 7 episodes before i realized how late it was and had to get to bed. Just fantastic animation top notch

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dreddout posted:

My favorite thing about Tanya is that all the 4chan Nazis loved the show. Then they all had to drop it because the writer mentioned he was a communist in an interview.

You have to be pretty god them stupid to not realize the narrative is making fun of Tanya's tryhard psychopathy

Didn't know the writer was a communist, that owns. Bit it's pretty obvious because that show just showed what an utterly despicable character Tanya/ the Salaryman are

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Srice posted:

Some folks think that because nobody explicitly says "war crimes are bad, you shouldn't do them", that the show thinks it's good when Tanya commits war crimes.

Which is doubly crazy because there's literally a character on her side if the war that thinks she's an evil monster. But fascist morons will do what they do

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

It's literally the title.

I know but in the show itself he's like the only character that voices it. In case people didn't realize it and they still don't

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Having watched neither, which is worse RE: Zero or Konasuba?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

This is fast becoming are Technicals an Isekai? Or is an isekai a technical?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

[slaps roof of the isekai] this bad boy can transport all sorts of virgins

That's just a truck

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I think the other day on these forums someone made mention of an anime or manga that was about truck drivers whose job it was to hit people with their trucks so they could be reincarnated into fantasy worlds that needed them.

This I'm interested in

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I really liked the Comte de Saint Germain in the last season

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The real life Comte de Saint Germain was also quite the character.

Him and Emperor Norton are two of my favorite historical figures

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Is that Netflix translation of EVA worth watching? I heard it's not great, a buddy of mine still has the box set ADV put out years and years ago so should I kirst watch that, cause I haven't watched it since it was on toonami

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

its fine, they just inexplicably didnt get the license for 'fly me to the moon'

Okay, cause I remember the translation being contentious with people

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

my understanding is the translation is botched because they literally got the first draft script the ADV guys got and threw away.

Got it I'll borrow it from my friend

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The translation is definitely lower quality than the original, and weirdly stilted/overly literal in a lot of ways. And that's before you get into stuff like the 'questionable' Kaworu decisions or the actual literal nazi it turns out they had doing some of the subs, though I forget if it was the english CC script or one of the other languages that issue came up with.

Oh I missed that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

pillsburysoldier posted:

Anime has

Only

Gotten

Better

Well yeah, but I miss that 80s/90s art style anime used to have