Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

tokin opposition posted:

deca dence is good

No it bad. It takes a hard turn right and goes all in on NeoLiberalism for the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's a common recurrence in a lot of speculative fiction where the writers understand Liberalism just isn't going to work and is responsible for the Space, Elf, or Space-Elf Fascists gaining traction, but because we've all been indoctrinated to reject anything left-wing out of hand, all the story can do is shrug its shoulders and embrace this kind of nihilism about what to do about it. Like UC Gundam can never really have a protagonist who's part of a Left-Wing movement that wants to overthrow both the Federation and the current iteration of Neo-Neo-Neo Zeon.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

and if it did, they'd be a villain with blonde hair and a mask of some kind to be beaten by the end

Has a Gundam AU ever done an evil Communist Char-Clone? Most of the time they're just on a gradient between aristocratic and Fascist. Though Rau was kinda the unintended embodiment of what I was talking about with Nihilism being the only choice when Left-wing alternatives aren't allowed.

tokin opposition posted:

working together in unison after destroying the world order of a giant corporation controlling everyone for it's own inhuman ends: public private partnership

At the End of Deca-Dence Not only is Humanity still a VR game for corporate wage slaves on a ruined earth, The exact same people are still in charge. They blew up a big monster and this apparently convinced the Spirit of Capitalism or whatever to make the game Farmville instead of Monster Hunter. They still live under the same system. It's peak NeoLiberal "Surely Capitalism will be fine if we're all polite about it."

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Supposedly 00 season 1 got a lot of flak in Japan for being "Not My Gundam". I wouldn't be surprised if the execs told the writers to course correct hard and thats why season 2 has much more traditional looking gundams, replaces all the political stuff from the first season with black&white superheroics, and inserts all the standard Gundam cliches that season 1 had purposefully avoided like having a Char.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Stairmaster posted:

famously apolitical series gundam 0079

UC may be political but it has a degree of abstraction that allowed certain people to ignore it a-la the “Wow cool robot” meme. 00 though had stuff blatantly about current events like the forever war in the Middle East.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Even the smallest bit of abstraction is enough for many people to convince themselves something isn’t political. Add to that that most people watching 00 were not even born when 0079 came out and it’s easy to see certain people complaining about “adding” politics to gundam. Remember how many people complained about “adding” politics to the Star Wars prequels despite the fact A New Hope has an entire scene where characters sit around a conference table and discuss the political issues raised by the films plot?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The TV series is the only correct way to watch 0079. The movies cut out all the cool monster of the week robots and awesome Gundam gadgets. Plus you miss the episode where it turns out the guys who are most successful at fighting the Gundam were a bunch of undersupplied nobodies who realized they could just use speeder bikes and IED's and be way more effective than the generals who always try to stop the Gundam with some new super-weapon.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As someone who loves Berserk: the comic, I would rather someone never learn that Berserk exists than show them the 2016 series.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

err posted:

I loved the original Berserk anime. I should read the manga to find out what happened after the anime.

On the one hand the first batch of arcs after the 90's anime ending are the best in the comic. On the other hand the series is in hiatus hell and may never be finished.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Getting rid of Ellis won’t get rid of the swearing at this point. It’s become too much a part of the show’s brand. “The vampires say gently caress” is what people want from it now.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Vampires as sexual beings has been around since Bram Stoker made Dracula about how those heathen Eastern Europeans with their raw animal magnetism will seduce our chaste innocent white women, and Vampires as being tormented supermodels who love to have tragic gay sex has been around since Anne Rice. But what I want to know is, since Vampire are undead and have no heartbeat or bloodflow, how are they getting boners and having all this sex?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Southpaugh posted:

hate to break it to you but the novel dracula is also about gay sex. Vampires are gay.

But it wasn’t tragic brooding supermodel gay. Which is the big thing Anne Rice popularized and has informed Castlevania since Symphony of the Night.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Carmilla is a lesbian vampire story that predates Bram Stokers Dracula

Still about how those heathen Eastern Europeans with their raw animal magnetism will seduce our chaste innocent white women.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

lollontee posted:

theyre basically equivalent to a rhetorical device for calling the mods pedos, by replacement of the true subject with the supernatural harlequin. it's a really neat trick for an oppressed underclass, as such was the condition eastern serfs, to publically proclaim that the people in charge are all murderous rapists who probably gently caress the children they later devour

and afterwards curtsying towards the audience of aristos to perform their legendary impression of a puppydog
This reading doesn’t really work since Vampires were originally essentially just blood zombies with no real aristocratic flair.
Vampires didn’t become associated with aristocracy until the 1800’s and the association was made by well off British men who were definitely going for a Victorian misogyny “They’re stealing our virtuous daughters!” angle. The vampire of the Eastern European common folk was more likely to be your improperly buried neighbor than your shitbag feudal lord.
Of the three works that created the modern Vampire The Vampyre, Carmilla, and Dracula all three are about the seduction of an innocent chaste upper class white lady, two of them by Eastern Europeans.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So you think Lord Byron and Sheridan Le Fanu were paranoid about swarthy eastern europeans snatching up white women? The Vampyre is literally about an English lord.

that’s why I said two out of three.
e: even if Sheridan and Bryon weren’t personally afraid of certain things they sure as hell knew their audience was. That’s part of writing a horror story. Like do you seriously believe upper class Victorian Brits weren’t racist against everyone and everything? Eastern Europe as some kind of not-white-enough barbarian land of horrors is a well worn trope of British literature, vampires or otherwise.

galagazombie has issued a correction as of 14:48 on May 19, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

lollontee posted:

right, but thats not really a cultural study. like yeah im sure the concept of a vengeful undead was used in a lot of contexts over the course of the history of folk tales and theatre, but that doesn't really prove anything against the argument

The argument was “Vampires were a way for the common people to insult the aristocracy” I went and showed how Vampires being aristocracy didn’t come until the 1800’s and even then were written by upper class dudes. That’s a pretty good proof against the argument.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s hilarious that one of DIO’s random henchmen had the power to just summon Vampire killing sunlight at will.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a “We have always been at war with the kill bots” thing going on.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

GoLambo posted:

I love how the FPA gets almost endless convenient second chances and still can't help but gently caress it up by bowing to lib poo poo every time.

To be fair the Empire was so comically self-sabotagingly evil and badly run there’s no way it could have survived long enough for Reinhard to reform it without author fiat. LoGH’s backstory falls for that pitfall lots of fiction does where it throws around numbers like “10’000 years” without realizing just how much time that is.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Anime went to poo poo because after the terrible Manga finale ended the franchises profit potential the producers told them they weren't going to fund more seasons so just throw together something on zero-budget to fulfill contractual obligations and milk whatever little money from fans there was left through pre-orders of the disc-set. Plus there's the fact that a huge amount of anime these days exist (and are funded) mainly as vehicles to push interest and sales of the still ongoing source material. And since the Promised Neverland source material had ended (regardless of if it had ended bad or good) the anime lost a lot of its reason for existing.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I don't know how much story the Demon Slayer anime has left to adapt, but if the manga ending was at least okay (I have no idea since I don't read it) they can still give the anime a good budget to sell the complete series box sets and such. This goes double if there's not much left to adapt. If they still have like a billion chapters of manga left to adapt though, then yeah, expect 1-2 more seasons before it either peters out into either zero budget or "we're not finishing this go read the source material if you care so much" territory.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Retromancer posted:

Burn the Witch implies that there are multiple afterlives and where you go when you die primarily depends on your geographic location at time of death.

Kubo's cosmology is wild.

Something about a tourist who hates curry dying in like India or White Americans learning that the afterlife of the Americas is based on native cultures instead of transplanted european ones and having to spend eternity larping as the locals seems like it could make for a great story.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I don't see the point of the 0079 compilation movies. You somehow make it too short to fit in all the fun stuff, yet simultaneously make it long enough at three full length films that you're not really saving any tie by watching it instead of just watching the series. Those "Mobile Armor of the Week" and "Jerks on speeder bikes with C4 are Gundams most dangerous foe" make the show.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Ivy's ending may have been a big "meh" but it didn't ruin what came before or insult the audience or anything. The show remains pretty good and I'd recommend it to anyone interesting. Other good shows have been ruined completely by their endings so Vivy got away pretty good.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I know the whole “war/terrorism is bad” theme of Gundam means there’s no way this ends well for Hathaway. But at this point the Federation has been written as so cartoonishly corrupt and evil for so long it’s hard to see him as anything but 100% totally correct and justified. Usually the federation gets by on the fact that this week’s iteration of Zeon are literally Space Nazi’s, but Hathaway is basically fighting for equal treatment of all citizens instead of preaching master race rhetoric, and is only targeting politicians rather than using WMDs on population centers.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
People need to stop shaming others for having fetishes. Are we supposed to blacklist everyone who wrote something that’s not missionary with the lights off in the bounds of matrimony? People like to masturbate, deal with it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m surprised that no one has tried to rip off Quantum Leap in an isekai. Protagonist gets killed or dies of old age and wakes up in a new world at the end of every chapter/episode. Would make a great first episode cliffhanger for the MC to set off on some grand isekai quest in ye olde medieval world and all of a sudden looks around and he’s in cyber world, smash cut to credits.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
ibo is also a great example of liberal magical thinking by way of Mcgillis. He’s convinced that fulfilling some obscure outdated rule will make the oligarchs in charge just hand over power to him. And he’s flabbergasted and has no idea what to do when they tell him “lol no the rules don’t apply to us you stupid peasant”. It’s like Trump impeachment in space.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Wing is so good because it called everything about Drone warfare and expressly told the audience it would be used by international capital to isolate first worlders from its mass murder in developing nations 15 years before anyone had heard of a Predator Drone. The only thing it got wrong would be everyone bringing back Napoleonic fashion, which honestly makes this a worse timeline.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What they didn't count on is that eventually everyone would have drones, and that the first world would get lapped by developing powers producing economy class drones while we continue making ridiculously expensive Sport Utility Drones.

They did predict that though. The entire climatic conflict of the series is about radical elements in the developing world making their own drones and then the Space Taliban decides to blow up the Earth.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

HootTheOwl posted:

The final arc of Gundam wing is all about Virgos and their bullshit shields and it sucks.

Even the writers realized they hosed up with the Virgos. They walked back hard on how effective their shields were. They just kinda decide during the last few battles that even even the Heavyarm’s conventional arsenal of old fashioned bullets can penetrate them. To say nothing about the Leos.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m not entirely opposed to dubbing per se but the specific context of the English dub industry usually makes them bad, and almost always inferior to subs. Sure maybe dubs would be good if they had more than five actors, serviceable dialogue, and actual directing, but they don’t. So there’s like a dozen dubs I actually like tops.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Actually you’ll find Marxism would have been much more successful historically if it had made everything about the butts. Soviet Realism that focused on rear end and tiddies would have crushed the west in no time.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
lol 86 is literally about a multi-ethnic group of enslaved janissaries trying to escape a racial supremacist ethnostate because they are being genocided for being ethnic minorities. One of the main plot lines is a woke liberal of the privileged ethnic group having a mental break down when she realizes that putting #thoughts&prayers on her Twitter profile does not make her a good person nor an ally.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As much as it’s verboten to badmouth LotGH I’ll say it’s not very leftist and is fact pretty lib. It’s pretty enamored with great man history for one, to the degree that actual material and economic factors are completely irrelevant. History is driven entirely by some idea of “virtue” and whether a society succeeds or not depends entirely upon if it’s leaders have enough virtue reserves. The idea that the masses might even have class interests is never even considered. And the eternal war that benefits no one, not even the ruling class, is kept going for nonsensical reasons instead of actual material ones. Like there’s no way a society that still uses loving serfdom for 90% of its population could last so long over a whole planet, much less half the galaxy during a total war. But LotGH has a super romantic view of authoritarianism being efficient and effective.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Fascists loving critique of fascism even when they know it’s critique is nothing new. They love Verhovens Starship Troopers for instance.
Of course I’ve seen pretty much every ideology do this to a degree. The logic of “See, even when they try to make fun of us we look cool and good!” is universal.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
To be fair to the M3 it was kinda bad “on purpose“. From what I remember they were designing the Sherman and were still working out the kinks with the turret and main gun, since America had spent the interwar period ignoring tanks and had to learn how to fit a 75 m gun on a turret. But lend lease needed a tank with a 75 gun to send to the British and Soviets immediately. So they took the Shermans general innards, slapped some armor on it, and stuck the 75 gun on the hull. So the tank was never really intended to be adopted as the mainline model, and the tanks main usage was by lend lease recipients, who got Sherman’s to replace them once it was finished in 42.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
From the premise Chainsaw Man sounds like the 3564855th manga about a quasi secret organization of doofuses who hunt demons/ghosts/Yokai or whatever using the the monsters own powers. But it’s got this kind of I don’t know, cynical?, avant-garde surrealism to it (I’ll add more buzzwords later) that makes it the only shonen fightan’ manga I’ve been into since I was as teenager.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’ve only read the book which I loved, but have always heard the Earthsea movie described like it’s The Room levels of bad. What’s so bad about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Kit Walker posted:

Eren’s not a nazi, though. At the very least, his character pre-timeskip is pretty loving far from that. The Marleyans are explicit Nazis except it gets stupidly muddled when it turns out they’re actually secretly controlled by one not-Jewish family that has all the actual power and are explicitly keeping all the other not-Jews in ghettos for their own good. Like, aside from the really poor historical parallelism there, it would be a really good critique of liberal “oh sweetie, I’d love to give you equal rights but we have to do it incrementally over time, you know?” ideology but as it is it’s just bad and stupid

That’s not what happened at all. The Tyburs weren’t oppressing anyone “for their own good”. They were expressly collaborators screwing over everyone else so they could live in luxury. The deal with the head tybur guy was that he felt guilty about that and planned to use the islanders as a scapegoat to get better conditions for mainland eldians.