Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

animist posted:

my hot take on Blindsight and Echopraxia is that peter watts is basically a coward attached to feeble positivist notions of consciousness. He wants to believe he's totally rational and in control of himself, and he's terrified of letting go of that illusion of control.

all his characters -- both human and alien -- reflect his fear of alternative ways of thinking (from the standard western model). nobody and nothing in his books can be cognitively different without being "broken", insane or sociopathic or a cold paperclip maximizer.

like don't get me wrong, the novels are creative and all. but the moral of Echopraxia is basically just "wouldn't it be spooky if your brain... did stuff without asking you???"

like, dude, I don't mind when it does that. it's pretty cool to have a heartbeat actually.

lol that's kind of a good point. besides my brain is giving me the wrong emotions all the time, it's not spooky as much as annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good soup! posted:

I think it's because when it came out there was the thing about it saving anime and being a game changer or whatever but instead of something like say cowboy bebop, it was just horny annoying cringeworthy ultra anime poo poo that a vocal contingent of anime fans couldn't shut the gently caress up about

theres like 4 animes i actually like because the first ones i saw was cowboy bebop, kiki's delivery service, my neighbor totoro, and stand alone complex lol. the standard for me is set so insanely high that 99% of the genre is basically unwatchable. well, and dbz, but i knew it was stupid as a kid; i basically thought of it as animated power rangers, which also sucked really bad but was cool regardless.

i remember trying to watch inyuasha because it came on toonami and just being like 'god people actually like this...?'

Larry Parrish has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Jan 12, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i only watched dubbed anime op. if i hear that mickey mouse voice on an anime i just turn it off. you know what i'm talking about. like vanille from ff13's voice. i can't take it seriously and so as a defense mechanism i just watch poo poo that's dubbed because its less common. also for real subbed anime sucks to watch. the whole point is to look at the cool drawings but i can't do that and read the subtitles.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
try to tell me that black lagoon's english dub isn't superior and i will laugh at you. however the japan arc does kind of gently caress up and do the thing where everyone's speaking english even though there's supposed to be a language barrier in a few spots.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RaySmuckles posted:

bumping "planetes" again; its about space garbage men. it definitely can be a bit...overly silly in moments, but the whole thing is an excellent view of capitalism and imperialism and is good hard space sci-fi. its really worth a full viewing cuz the ending is incredible

anyone got any recommendations for things to watch with this vibe and style? its exactly up my alley

i've already seen some: like cowboy bebop and stand alone complex, but i would love to explore more.

planetes pwns. i dont really have a suggestion quite like it, but psychopass is a lot like SAC. it's a quasi cyberpunk world but takes it in different directions than what it means to be human or whatever. dont watch the other seasons, you'll understand why if you finish s1.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
even just faye's outfit in cowboy bebop makes me uncomfortable so you can imagine how it feels when someone's like oh hey have you heard of kill la kill my dude ??

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I appreciate reincarnated as a slime for making goblins into people whereas goblin slayer made them into rapists

the wandering inn is a semi-endless web serial that clearly has a lot of anime influences but the goblins in it are pretty based. for some reason i think the misunderstood forest midget kind of goblin is cool, and its rare to find outside of literally like a handful of fantasy books.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and it's still miles below shows that aren't horny at all

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Killjoy posted:

apply healing staff to a small clump of cancer in an opponent’s body, turning them into a The Thing-like monstrosity in seconds

bing bang boom no rape needed

a web novel i read had a side character who was a 'biomancer' which was pretty body horror because thats basically what his magic did

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fascism wouldn't be dangerous if it wasnt appealing. Hell, the heart of horseshoe theory isnt even wrong; much fascist and communist writing differ only on how they define the 'in group'. Fascists support the perceived majority and communists everyone, minus our enemies. It does blur a little. Most of that is fascist thinkers intentionally piggy backing on known populism, but it doesnt magically stop being inherently appealing because of that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hodgepodge posted:

eh, tbh this is a really weak understanding of communist and fascist writing. i get what you're saying in terms of contemporary politics, but if you have any deeper understanding this stuff you're not showing it right now

the stuff in the twitter link had a really good concise point: fascism is fundamentally the aestheticization of politics, and communism responds to this by politicizing art.

libs have hosed that up a lot by coopting the superficial aspects of it, but optimistically this might drive a synthesis (note that this is not an endorsement of cozying up to the fash).

I dunno I think a lot of dumbass libs are like 'wow why would anyone be a fascist??'. My post overly simplified but fascism would never have succeeded if it was not on some level appealing and convincing. I think you have to be kind of a surface level dipshit or a sociopath to fall for it, but that's my own bias speaking up. If I really though that many people were stupid I'd be a liberal.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

I imagine the author has a lot of complicated feelings about what happened considered his sister died and he lived, and one of the major changes he made in the short story was that he killed off the character representing him as well.

But, as long as we're sharing hot takes about Grave of the Fireflies I remember a take someone on these forums had a year or two back that was that Grave of the Fireflies was right-wing and problematic because it depicted the bombing of Japan as a bad thing and asked the viewer to sympathize with citizens of a country that had been inflicting atrocities on China.

the libs in this forum come up with some absolute brain genius takes dont they. like Firefighters Are Reactionary guy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ghost in the shell was my first anime besides kiki's delivery service and totoro (which pwn) and when i later joined the air force and realized it had a lot more to say than 'wow cool cyberpunk' i was slightly thrown for a loop lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
watch planetes you loving losers.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robo Reagan posted:

that was a pretty brutal self own

ya

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Welcome to the NHK is a legit good novel, an okay manga, and a weird anime. It was odd experiencing them in succession, kind of like seeing Flanderization occur in real time.

Weird as the adaptations are, I'd legit recommend the novel to depressed folks who think the world isn't going to get any better. It's a legit work about how the only thing we have in this world is each other, so please be kind, and how not expecting big changes or massive upheaval of one's life, and instead making small incremental day to day changes to pull you out of the hole is the best way to go. Dumb as it might be to admit, it helped me a lot when I was in my 20s, alone and scared and unsure of where my life was going

It's legitimately one of my favorite anime and personally as a barely sociable freak with an over active imagination like that it was very relatable. I, too, want my wierd sucidial girlfriend to appear out of thin air. I wouldn't credit it with changing my life or anything but I did stop drinking and start forcing myself to hang out with people around the same time.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KomradeX posted:

Did how bad 90s localization could be just convince the absolute most soft headed people that anything that isn't literal 1:1 translation is bad?

No, they're the kind of people who freak out when a fan translation of an LN doesn't have those brackets instead of quotes. I don't know why these people don't just learn Japanese. Well other than it takes effort and jacking off to anime doesn't.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read a lot of English web novels and there's a lot of ones I skipped because they just had bizzaro formatting and really wierd stilted dialogue, almost like they were written by a non-native or sometimes even non-fluent speaker, and I was super confused because nobody in comments ever mentioned it.

Then I downloaded a fan translation by accident when I was pirating an LN once and was like... Oh. That's why, these wierdos are writing stuff thats purposefully like incredibly lovely translations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the best webnovel translation was the one where the guy intentionally and openly refused to translate any common noun. it was almost completely unreadable, because obviously there weren't footnotes or anything explaining what all these untranslated terms meant.

isnt that just reading chinese or whatever at that point lol. except with latin characters

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Voice of Labor posted:

is there an anime that explains the bubble economy?

I feel like there should be

planetes. arguably welcome to the NHK although it's more about the fallout and how it's affected people.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dr stone is just okabe from steinsgate without being funny or sympathetic

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sometimes im convinced that the Japanese equivalent of the CIA funds all that. same with shows like psychopass where Japan is inexplicably a superpower and has magic future tech but is also isolationist with little to no foreign contact.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im slightly convinced part of it is just garbage translation making it seem even longer but i don't know enough to say

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't finished it but Ive liked it so far. I hate marvel poo poo mostly but that doesn't mean I hate superheros. However one punch man s2 was big fail.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WrightOfWay posted:

The greatest watch ever made.

I had one of those in the air force.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best isekai is actually grimgar of fantasy and ash, and it's major fail that there's no second season of the anime because it's very beautiful.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TenementFunster posted:

Black Lagoon is a leftist anime. they kill just so many nazis in ep 5. i rest my case.

it's all about how the wake of the cold war has created the space for incredibly brutal organized crime lol. there's even an actual CIA officer in it. it's pretty woke for a crime show.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its mediocre at best but uh, a hero's war counts as an isekai where one of the main characters just shrugs, drops the main 'plot', and goes to lead a violent semi-democratic revolution in the federation's largely independent duchy where slavery is still practiced. the other hero is aware and sends a bunch of material aid. the federal monarch basically has to shrug and accept it because they declared that the recognized hero is above the law basically.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont recommend reading it, its one of those web novels that has a really neat premise and setting where it largely goes nowhere because the author sucks or didn't storyboard in the slightest

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

the pervert character ruined the show for me.

I tune him out because almost every anime I've ever seen has one of those.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Voice of Labor posted:

what's the word for isekai when the character isn't transported to an alien world but their regular world becomes alien to them? special-kai?

Schziophrenia

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not everything can be masterpiece of historical fiction Nioh and Nioh 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's how you know she's a good guy