Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chillgamesh posted:

i like avatar the last airbender. i like anime

is that that film with the blue cgi people

Xaris posted:

does Spirited Away count as anime? i just saw that for the first time a couple of months ago, it was very good. i havent seen the rest of ghibli stuff

spirited away is good, but my favourite ghibli by far is porco rosso. it's so loving good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

an actual dog posted:

yo what the hell why does this forum love death so much

watch akudama drive

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the second anime skipped over 99% of the poo poo from the first anime that was considered canon so people didn't have to watch it twice (also so you have to buy both shows i guess :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

kill la kill is an extremely horny anime built around the japanese pun of fascism = fashion by studio trigger and it is batshit. if you gave it a miss because of the aforementioned horniness, give it another shot

the latter half of klk kinda falls apart, but the early eps own

also it gave us the owl day meltdown post so it can't be bad :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

genuinely do not understand how so many ppl continue to have such strong opinions (in either direction) about klk, that poo poo aired 6-7 years ago.

it's a semi-popular show that gets horny more than once.

Hodgepodge posted:

requesting the meltdown post

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Hey everyone! I don't wanna yell at anyone while I'm all tired and about to lay down for bed, so now I'm rested and ready to type. My guess is that all of you pretty much think I don't spend any time thinking about the kind of probations I hand out, but I really actually really really do. I've been your moderator for about 22 months now, and this entire time I've been working on this post I'm posting right now, sort of like a state of the address or something, or like a supreme court opinion on adtrw. Anyway, onto the meat of the matter, I feel that alot of you are being too hard on Japan, the writing doesn't deserve the constant derision it receives because it's not terrible, it's just mediocre. If you're being too hard on shows for being just medocore then you're sort of going to be driving away our main clientele, which as a moderator is my top priority to protect. I know tokyo ghoul or tomo-chan or franxx or whatever is mediocre to all of you but people coming here from crunchyroll and reddit are not going to enjoy a wall of "It's terrible" if they're here to discuss their new favorite anime or manga. On the point of being too hard on japan, all of you know that japan has been through alot in the past century, and if satoshi kon's work is any indication into the goings on inside japan and specifically the anime industry, then japan was pretty much like a sea of porcupines before the 2011 tsunami. I see such a dramatic change in the soul of anime because of the tsunami and I feel that kill la kill was an embodiement of that change. Love hina was filled with hope and ambition and stayed focused around those themes well into negima, but now anime is so filled with anger, and I think all of you need to relax a little with the negativity towards what is an isolated island nation trying to reach out to the world just because you thought their writing was lackluster. They were just annilihated by the most powerful tsunami we've ever seen and there wasn't a country in the world 1/10th as prepared for tsunamis as japan was, and then a nuclear meltdown followed and it's like an infected wound in the soul of japan. There is hope in anime still, but it's a nation in mourning, and in recovery, so just take it easy. There doesn't need to be a massive ban storm for you guys to get the picture because I know how much smarter all of you are than the rest of the forums and as an aside if you hadn't realized it yet, I'm not going to be flinging insults at anyone, ever, it's not who I want to be.

christmas boots posted:

there never has nor will there ever be anything in anime that Gilgamesh didn’t do first and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSPKAB70xtg

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

can you fuckin believe theyre making Fate Grand Carnival. what the hell

you better fuckin believe it lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Drifters introduces Nobunaga to a feudal world. He then quickly sees the opressed elves and goes "I can work with that".

drifters so so good holy poo poo

too bad it's like hellsing and will take 30 years to finish

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/elfboi_/status/1352054385489170432

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Koos Group posted:

INCOMING MESSAGE FROM FLAVIUS AETASS:

thotsky posted:

GITS:SAC

:stonklol:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just watch spirited away op, kids love that poo poo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
never not LWA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nzwuGZizEs

also, most planetes is really really good but i also really disliked the last 6 or so episodes

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nah, the first ~150 eps of one piece is some of the best anime out there imo

it starts a bit slow tho.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

christmas boots posted:

I mean I get it, but at least Arlong accepts being pirate and treats his crew well. That wannabe Captain Kuro though? He can gently caress right off.

yeah exactly, kuro's just another lovely guy

arlong knows exactly what's up and chooses to be a poo poo anyway :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Yossarian-22 posted:

Okay so if I'm going to fomo into the anime I feel like I missed out on as a kid, which ones should I watch dubbed and subbed between:

>One Piece
>DBZ
>Naruto
>Yugioh

And where should I start/how many seasons should I watch of each (doubt I'll be watching 900+ episodes of One Piece or every DBZ series lmao)?
just start watching and if it's not landing stop imo. like yeah, some of these start a bit slow (i.e. OP only gets real good at around ep 45), but if you don't like after a dozen episodes you probably won't :shrug:

it's only 20 minute episodes, so you can easily knock out 1-2 a night while falling asleep :v:

Yossarian-22 posted:

Also, as a basic af super heterosexual cisgendered man would I be able to stomach Sailor Moon? Likewise would my gf be able to stomach DBZ? :thunk:
lmfao what

Truga has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Mar 30, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

christmas boots posted:

if you’re going to do One Piece do One Pace instead

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
for the record the old sailor moon is a very good show, the new one clings to the manga too much while the old one is longer and explores the characters more better imo.

downside, there's like 200 eps for the whole deal

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Declan MacManus posted:

the dub is good, recommended so you’re not reading and you can take everything in visually

agreed, but i just learned japanese instead

if i'm gonna watch poo poo in a 2nd language anyway (there's like... 3? animes dubbed into my first language and they're all very bad) why not go full tilt amirite :v:

e: realtalk though do what you like better, i grew up on subtitles so idc about reading them while also watching thing, but some people loathe them

Truga has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Mar 31, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i'm hype

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Feldegast42 posted:

In the visual novel the only way to replenish your servant's mana was to give them some hankie pankie

Somehow that was mysteriously dropped in all the adaptations and endless spinoffs

it's not dropped it's just not explicitly mentioned anymore...

... most of the time anyway

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
don't pay for streaming services, they are a scam now. if you want to watch more than one show there's like an 80% chance you'll need to subscribe to multiple because some go on crunchy roll, some go on netflix, etc. nyaa.si has no such limitations :v:

torrent the shows and buy merch from the studios directly when you want to support them. they get a fuckton more of your money that way too, compared to what streaming sites/publishers pay for content.

also yeah, CR are a bunch of assholes. i've heard a bunch of translator getting paid starvation wages horror stories from their guys

net work error posted:

I didn't bring up the Honda anime since I figured people ITT wouldn't care but I'm glad someone else likes it. There's something really nice about seeing the MC slowly gain confidence in herself with small victories via the scooter.
I'm a sucker for shows about transportation helping people out.

yeah the cub show has been pretty great so far.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pillsburysoldier posted:

The Promised Neverland season 1 is good. Im 3 eps into seasons 2 and it got a little dumb but i dont see why people flipped out about it yet

i haven't seen s2 because i tend to binge non-episodic shows so i wait until the end of season and now i don't intend to, but apparently it got so bad there's no writer credits in some of the later eps lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

christmas boots posted:

Followup question: Why are Light Novels titled that way?

don't need to read a lovely editor's summary if you just get it from the title, op

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sharkopath posted:

Speaking of shin chan i saw adult empire recently and its surprisingly relevant and super cool, one of my favorite animated films now. Id watch it over every ghibli except porco rosso which i still love too much.

extremely :same: lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GoLambo posted:

I don't understand why there isn't a Legend of the Galactic Heroes thread in C-SPAM.

space libs had no chance against space germany without space stalin. c-spam logh thread ends

Homeless Friend posted:

N-KO sounds like what i'd call the knockout game if i put the racist knob from 10 to 11

lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bufferpigeon/status/1400316168372514821

lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
broke: pedo comics
woke: chipmunks

Truga has issued a correction as of 12:18 on Jun 5, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Retromancer posted:

on one hand, I get why Demon Slayer got huge. It has charming characters and decent fight scenes and the anime is fantastic looking. On the other, I don't get how it was the manga that finally broke the One Piece streak and sold a ridiculous 82 million volumes.

it's fairly simple, one piece is still quite the seller, but it's already a known thing, most people reading will just buy the latest volume. meanwhile yaiba is new, so a shitton of that 82 million is people seeing hype and starting reading, thus buying volumes 1-n.

it's an insanely good achievement regardless, but it's not going to last as people catch up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
apparently they got yoko kanno for the soundtrack so i'll download that and probably not watch the thing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Feldegast42 posted:

so apparently against all odds nagatoro actually ended up being good? Really didn't look that way

it was very good from the start tho??

Kit Walker posted:

Boy it sure was a trip finding out what sort of works Nagatoro’s author produced before it

this is true for roughly 100% authors lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ringo Roadagain posted:

yeah Miyazaki is a pedo and also likes Nazis

lol

lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

yeah drifters owns

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've only seen one gundam show and it was turn a and i'm glad i chose that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The best anime about a robot is the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō OVAs, and after watching that you can read the manga.

this is correct

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pulcinella posted:

The first handful of Blue Gender episodes are decent enough. They have some good, tense, almost scary moments. Not worth actually going back to, though.

Also Witch Hunter Robin is skippable, in case anyone was wondering. It’s like a nowhere-near-as-good GitS: SAC.

wtf. yeah, sure, whr is not as good as gits:sac this is true, but it's still pretty good and has a kickass soundtrack. of the two you listed whr is definitely the better one lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Good soup! posted:

i remember it being popular but nowhere near the touchstone that bebop was

i remember it being more popular/liked than bebop, but i preferred bebop myself and as a teen i was annoyed at this lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Reik posted:

No joke, Gintama has the best

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
live action one piece is gonna be just that icelandic climate plaque lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol, coward

(also, the recent versions of the game are all ages)