Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Xaris posted:

does Spirited Away count as anime
genuinely curious why it wouldnt lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Pitch posted:

I personally have a problem where I feel like genuinely good anime deserves more attention from me so I put it off but end up watching complete garbage the day it airs.

i do this with everything

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Southpaugh posted:

I always found the rebuild movies incoherent and kinda pointless. Not stoked for the final installment. I'd have to rewatch all the other ones first.

I say this as a big EVA nerd.

the rebuilds are really bad imo

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Dr Pepper posted:

Actually they own because it's Anno giving the fanbase what they want in the most insulting way possible

there's some stuff in there that makes me question whether he's actually involved at all

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

in patlabor i liked how the big mechsuit's standard weapon is just an enormous revolver

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

apparently that's a thing in the book (based on the author's experiences?) but ghibli thankfully removed all that poo poo from there as far as i can tell

the difference in how the story is perceived is interesting, in Japan it's considered a sad double suicide story where instead of keeping their head down and working with the aunt that takes them in they decide to shun society instead and die, whereas in countries with more of an individualistic culture it's a war tragedy where they fail to make it

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

This Dragon, Heart Disease

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

are you a bad enough dude to find out why "astolfo" is trending

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/04119__snail/status/1369005045568565251

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

the manga is always better. and thats a fact jack

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Little Witch Academia is probably a good one for kids

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Stairmaster posted:

you should just read the manga instead same with dragon ball

i read the db/dbz manga instead of watching the show and it probably saved me from an enormous amount of filler bullshit

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i read the entire db/dbz manga for the first time last year and i liked db better

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

might actually watch that one it's my favorite part

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

happy to report that one piece gets good around volume 16 so you only need to read 3000 pages to get there

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Ringo Roadagain posted:

very wrong. it’s good from the start and then gets great around volume 6 or 7.

i was mostly bored all the way to alabasta with a couple exceptions like arlong park. now it's really good though

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Bro Dad posted:

the best part of mha is when the artist became obsessed with the muscle bunny lady he created

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

now that it's ended im reading through attack on titan and it's probably the worst manga ive ever read, just terrible on every level, the art, the story, the dialogue, the characters everything, and it's somehow one of the most popular franchises of all time. and yes it is the children who are wrong

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Stairmaster posted:

you should have read muv-luv instead

reading the synopsis and going through the mcmahon gif stages

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

looking good. is that supposed to come out this year?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

watched promare and that guy is definitely kamina. youre not fooling me

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

christmas boots posted:

No, I want Araki to draw Guts and especially Griffith.
or

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

jeffrey's delivery service

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

JT Jag posted:

It’s a live performance by anime voice actors in character, same thing

ito’s cat diary is really funny

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Gripweed posted:

If you zoom in on the picture you'll see that they recreated the One Piece logo but with photo realistic bones.

One Piece Remaster

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

THis

e:

Maya Fey has issued a correction as of 08:56 on Sep 4, 2021

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

tokin opposition posted:

Live action serial experiments lain :sickos:

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/ddoniolvalcroze/status/1443234098403680268

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

aot is the worst manga i've ever read. drivel from start to finish

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i love when the jojos interrupt the battle to explain at long length their galaxy brain schemes to turn the situation around. its really cool & fun. i also liked when Speedwagon was doing that for a while, just following the jojo around being loudly astonished at everything that's happening and describing it in great detail

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1476904120858542082

:eyepop:

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Popy posted:

ive been watching patlabor and it rips

patlabor 2 has a really cool visual style

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

speaking of terrible endings ive finally finished reading knights of sidonia (after dropping it a couple times) and oh boy

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Drifting Classroom is cool . I’ve got the (live action) movie but haven’t watched it yet

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

thotsky posted:

S2 of GITS 2045 was really dumb. There are no cool stand-alone episodes like in S1, and the post-human plot is so messy. At least the final episode introduces some interesting ideas; if only the rest of the show had actually done a better job of setting that up it might have been kind of cool. However, I don't see that the baddies plan in any way addresses actual material concerns.

So people just walk around in the real world but living at least half inside their own personal fantasy. How are resources divided in the real world? Who feeds people? If half the country is dreaming that they are the prime minister, who actually makes decisions that affect the real world?

How do people meaningfully interact with one another? It seems to me doublethink would have to work very hard to keep peoples personal fantasies from being in conflict with another, so much so that cooperating on a complex project would be practically impossible.

It looked for a little while like they were implying that people would just literally live dream lives in boxes that saw to their needs, similar to the one Makoto wakes up in, a pretty famous philosophical concept, but then they abandon that in the very next sentence and I think the implication is that they were just shelters from the smart gas. Good thing they thought of preparing 3 million of those since the AE used gas and not a nuke of their own.

i've probably seen the 1995 movie like 20 times and i couldnt watch that trash

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

a7m2 posted:

other than gits and psycho pass, what are some good cyberpunk anime? especially ones that show the low life and not just the high tech
Blame! is a good manga, not sure about the anime movie they made a few years ago

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I had no expectations but negative ones for the Blame! movie, but the 3DCG actually works for the setting and fits the art direction. It perfectly captures the atmosphere of the manga and is a neat little contained story that could be slotted in to any point of the journey from the manga. If you're a fan then you should watch it, and if you're not a fan then maybe the movie will get you interested in the manga.

alright. adding it to the pile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Mirello posted:

I'm watching this 80s ova right now called bubblegum crisis. it's pretty fun cyberpunk stuff.

never watched it but i love the name