Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
deca-dence is pretty marxist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Dr. Killjoy posted:

you know you can jack off to military uniforms and regimentation without being fascist you know right?

yeah isn't the entire plot of fma like "look at this terrible fascist country" and then the main characters do a coup

animist
Aug 28, 2018

wolfs posted:

oh god damnit the last thread had a post about Blindsight and i was curious where that poster had gotten that point of view on the story

my hot take on Blindsight and Echopraxia is that peter watts is basically a coward attached to feeble positivist notions of consciousness. He wants to believe he's totally rational and in control of himself, and he's terrified of letting go of that illusion of control.

all his characters -- both human and alien -- reflect his fear of alternative ways of thinking (from the standard western model). nobody and nothing in his books can be cognitively different without being "broken", insane or sociopathic or a cold paperclip maximizer.

like don't get me wrong, the novels are creative and all. but the moral of Echopraxia is basically just "wouldn't it be spooky if your brain... did stuff without asking you???"

like, dude, I don't mind when it does that. it's pretty cool to have a heartbeat actually.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

desperately wish anime discussion online wasnt 90-95% people talking about the latest c grade seasonal shonen lol

what, you don't like isekai???

animist
Aug 28, 2018
ok this is the book kind of anime but baki the grappler is truly indescribable

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i feel like Lain anticipates the emotional experience of posting on twitter fairly well. except it's not nearly boring or obnoxious enough to be genuinely realistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018
wait actually I think it's closer to how the decaying brain of a Facebook boomer interprets reality