Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I was digging Frieren until they met the fighter guy and typical tropey anime poo poo started happening. I hope they cut back on that in the upcoming episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Whirling posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is going to be a tournament arc eventually

oh, damnit

I hope her fight with the demon diplomats is cool at least, might bounce depending on how that goes

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I've watched the first 5 episodes of Pluto and there's a lot to like. It's refreshing to watch an animated show that takes it's characters and the situations they're in seriously. Each episode is close to an hour long so there's plenty of time too tell side stories, and it takes it's time to reveal the motivations of the main players in the mystery.

The animation itself isn't anything special, but the character designs are cool if you're familiar with the show from the eighties and recognise the inspirations Unfortunately a lot of the CGI used doesn't blend particularly well.

Some times it's hard to understand the psychology of the robots if you're expecting them to be like most other sci fi stories. It's interesting to see them treated the way this author does.

Definitely worth a watch in my opinion.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

starkebn posted:

I was digging Frieren until they met the fighter guy and typical tropey anime poo poo started happening. I hope they cut back on that in the upcoming episodes

Okay, so after the initial set up of Frieren being a weirdo who doesn't understand human relationships due to lifespan, the show is just now bog standard fantasy poo poo that has nothing to do with that.

It didn't even take very long. Disappointing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

what's some good anime for kids under ten that won't bore me. scifi preferred bc scifi is ftw

unironically: Ben-10

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

original or reboot?

I can personally vouch for these, I watched basically all of them with my kids

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Dungeon Meshi is the first anime in a long time I've been happy to keep watching, it's a buy from me

starkebn
May 18, 2004

While a lot of the people seem to be raging against "woke" again, and it feels very twitter brained as always, I personally would prefer a joke to be something I don't understand but could possibly lead to me learning more about the intent of the artist than have it "localised" so it feels familiar.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I always come down to “did this character talk like a regular person in the original?” If so, then they should talk like a regular person in the translation. If accuracy to the dialogue requires weird or stilted dialogue, it should be changed to reflect accuracy to the character.

this could be taken very uncharitably

"why don't the people in this japanese cartoon talk normal like me dangit!"

I'm not saying translation should just be each word presented in the same order, I know that's not a good way to translate, but I wouldn't want some Shinto concept westernised just because I haven't encountered it before.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I think you can talk about Shinto in English.

yes, the part of localisation I don't want is changing concepts to more "relatable" things from the country you're localising it to. I have no problem with making sentences make sense grammatically.

Different groups of people are talking about different parts of the concept of localisation.

If you change a character's skin tone or sexual orientation because you think it's going to offend someone in the country you're localising for it's changing the original artists intent.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I think the reason it's being talked about right now is this

so depending on how you read some sections, and if they lean far enough in certain directions, you could say that's what could happen.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

net work error posted:

Bring back the translators note

:yeah:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I just watched all 13 episodes of "Uncle From Another World" in an afternoon because people were talking about it in another thread. I haven't laughed out loud so often at a show for a long time. Seems like there should be more though, but it ends in a fine place I guess.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Augus posted:

drat dungeon meshi got really dark

I'm interested right now, but I hope the tone doesn't completely change forever.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Dungeon Meshi back to a lighter tone just loving around with some weird monsters, so that's good. I liked the more serious episodes, but like Cowboy Bebop before it, having just half a dozen or so "important" story episodes is a good balance.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The Cowboy Bebop soundtrack being so epic papers over most other deficiencies the show might have. Just like most Star Wars movies.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I just find personally that different voice actors' tone, inflection, timing etc. can put across a different personality for the characters and I generally prefer whatever language the media began with.

I think it probably mostly comes down to how you first experience it being what you end up preferring.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Dang, the Dungeon Meshi writing is so good. The latest episode is incredible in such simple seeming moments that are easy to follow and get much more from them too. The dream sequence just unfolds so naturally, exposing more and more character as it's goes.

starkebn has issued a correction as of 12:32 on May 11, 2024

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They weren't "gay-baited" for 12 years, they thought their incest headcanon was real. The show even made fun of them for it.

I don't really know anything about the shipping on tumblr, but that poll is Castiel / Dean who aren't brothers. Maybe that's why it lost, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Scarabrae posted:

trying to enjoy MHA, after 110 episodes its starting to get interesting

lol