Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

If I had to complain about one aspect of that fight, I'd have to single out the icicles. I think those things last for a full minute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Between the crushers, the elevator section and now the dash, this really is heavily based on Mega Man X, huh?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They always seem simple but I forever have trouble with the kind of boss in the second phase. A boss on its own with fast but predictable attacks like the first phase might kill me while I spot the tells but after that it's just making sure the timing's right. But a slow moving boss that takes up a lot of the screen with a rotating pattern and a few distractions to make me stop paying attention and take longer is always a disaster.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Blaze Dragon posted:

Between the crushers, the elevator section and now the dash, this really is heavily based on Mega Man X, huh?

MMX got it right, so might as well imitate it.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

In this week's update, we start World 4, entering the Puzzle Realm itself and...oh dear...they did WHAT with the level design?!

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Oh, the game is done being polite now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, this looks intensely unfun.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

That’s a valid argument, even though I like the harder levels - to each their own, I guess. If you want unfun, wait until you see the World 5 secret levels.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

anilEhilated posted:

While the game is brutal at times, it feels like theenglishman is trying to show what the game is capable of throwing at the player. There's no real time limit to the stages, so a perfectly valid strategy is to farm up the puzzle meter and then use the robot suit to plow through nasty enemy areas.

Also, as said, there are folks who love the difficulty that this or a Dark Souls or other precision platformer offers.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Also, as said, there are folks who love the difficulty that this or a Dark Souls or other precision platformer offers.

This game came out around the same time as Demon’s Souls - I wonder whether, if this game had been more popular, it would have resulted in the same conversations about absurd difficulty that later Souls games would.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 22, 2021

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You can definitely play this game in ways other than TEM is playing and reduce some of the challenge level it has, too. The aforementioned robot spam is one thing, but even just using powered-up shots more, spamming the crouch-slash, there's a lot you can do to manage enemies more easily.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough, if there are options that's honestly more than I initially gave the game credit for. The boss fights are top-notch, anyway.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Nighthand posted:

You can definitely play this game in ways other than TEM is playing and reduce some of the challenge level it has, too. The aforementioned robot spam is one thing, but even just using powered-up shots more, spamming the crouch-slash, there's a lot you can do to manage enemies more easily.

I decided not to overly rely on powered-up shots because I thought it would slow the pace of the videos. As for the rest of your suggestions....yeah, there's no excuse for that. I may not actually be that good at this game.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Oh, the game is done being polite now.

Henry may be a gentleman, but the learning curve sure isn't

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The current section reminded me a bit of the music levels in Rayman Legends. Feels like someone might be able to get through it without stopping at all.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I hope you like fighting Weaselby because these fights are a good chunk of World 4.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Fighting Weaselby and getting pushed by a conveyor, forever.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Imagine 4 Weaselbys on the edge of a cliff

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Miz Kriss posted:

Imagine 4 Weaselbys on the edge of a cliff

I have. 'Tis a wonderful thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The forward movement on the low attack seems a bit annoying. You simply can't attack something that's both small and too close.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

The forward movement on the low attack seems a bit annoying. You simply can't attack something that's both small and too close.

Probably the most annoying part of that attack, as I talked about earlier, is the extending hitbox during the actual attack animation. That being said, if you master the low attack, it’s an excellent way to play keep-away with some of the more powerful enemies.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
So the events of "Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure" take place on Earth-T? Would that be part of the Marvel or DC Multiverse?

I used to feel bad about never finishing this game. With every episode, I feel less and less bad about it because this looks really difficult.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Quiet Python posted:

So the events of "Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure" take place on Earth-T? Would that be part of the Marvel or DC Multiverse?

I used to feel bad about never finishing this game. With every episode, I feel less and less bad about it because this looks really difficult.

I'm thinking Marvel. The dynamic between Hatsworth and Weaselby seems to fit better with the Marvel rogues gallery.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I know it sounds like Weasleby used aggression on Cole to get him to help him, but I like to think that his "persuasion" is just him realizing that Cole is extremely greedy and loves any kind of gem. He'll persuade Cole with the power of capitalism.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

I know it sounds like Weasleby used aggression on Cole to get him to help him, but I like to think that his "persuasion" is just him realizing that Cole is extremely greedy and loves any kind of gem. He'll persuade Cole with the power of capitalism.

Let’s just say I think you’ll find the real ending very interesting :)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

theenglishman posted:

Let’s just say I think you’ll find the real ending very interesting :)

Given Cole has the same hair as the protagonist, and keeps knowing exactly where the suit pieces are and how to use them, I'm guessing time travel shenanigans. Or perhaps the suit grants eternal youth and Cole has been the Gentleman all along.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

My bullshit detector says that Cole is the real villain due to his knowledge of both puzzle realm & suit, as well as his love for gems. Maybe seeing two old men fighting is just a bonus :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The swamp monster is a strange aesthetic to appear in the puzzle world levels. Like, the gimmick fits, but why a swamp monster? There's no swamp anywhere!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

My apologies for not posting this update earlier today.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They introduce the swamp monster a level before the sewer level, don't use it in the sewer level, and bring it back for the level after the sewer level? What the hell!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Not even the swamp monster wants to be in the sewer.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I've found that if you time an up-slash precisely, the ballerinas just bounce off. It's pretty cool.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Only two more updates left! I feel like I can touch the Master Piece already.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Obvious Castlevania references aside, and this is a bit of stretch to connect the two because I'm sure there's been other games where you fight enemies on a bounce pad, I want to think that part was maybe a reference to this bit in Serious Sam The Second Encounter. I think there's actually another part with a bounce pad but that's the first one I found scrolling through. If Hatsworth had replaced the stacked monsters with the ballerinas as a Kleer substitute I'd have more of a case.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

So, did you like the Weaselby's Mansion level from last update? Have another one.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
I've been keeping up with this on youtube and you've done a great job with the game. :neckbeard:

I never got to the third world as a kid, so this has been great.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow, the sheer amount of enemies on the lower screen at some points was impressive. At a few points all of your blocks were enemy blocks so new defeated enemies just had to make new blocks, that hasn't happened before.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Finally, swamp monster in a swamp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I always thought Pokeys' hats flash red and yellow to indicate that it is a weak spot. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to attack the hat on some of those ones that are in tight spaces.