Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It's probably not the case that I'm the reason that Chef Girl is in this game, but I take credit for it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Seems like half-genies may need a union!

In a sense, that is actually how Seven Sirens goes.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fun Kickstarter facts: Holly's existence in the game was one of the stretch goals. There are two chapters in the game that were added that way, which leaves me wondering how much of the game there would have been had they not met those goals. They also had two chapters that weren't funded, so there could have been even more.

There was a mermaid transformation in one of the earlier games. The series has a lot of variety.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Psycho Knight posted:

I think this is the moment where everything gets somehow even more fanservice-y in a little bit. The desert setting is familiar, although I can't remember if it happens now or later.

Earlier. Much earlier. An entire game's worth of earlier.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The first game doesn't really show any particular signs of being fetish-driven, from what I remember, unless you count Shantae's basic character design being apparently based on I Dream of Jeannie. I think they introduced the large character portraits for dialogue in the third game, which was the first time any of them had much visible detail, and that was also the game with the palace scene. I don't know if you could really call that a "fetish palace" as such, but I don't have any motivation to try to argue that coherently. The mermaid thing, sure, but the series has always had a rather goofy attitude toward long-term consequences. Everything gets resolved in the end, and the rest is more or less glossed over. The worst that happens is the Mayor goes off to sulk somewhere and asks you to bring him something to drink. Everything in between is just meant to be cute and funny.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I experience only mild pain watching you Pike Ball your way through screens full of archers and get pelted with arrows, when I'm pretty sure Bubble just negates them completely.

And you have to feel sorry for Wilbur in the end. He'd get proper nutrition if he were capable of closing his mouth.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The race is the other chapter that was a Kickstarter stretch goal. I don't know whether we would have gotten a shorter level without that, or whether this level wouldn't exist, but either way, it feels like this game would have been way too short without the stretch goals we got.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

So when you say the game needs a secret tracker, do you mean one aside from the one that shows you what items are in each stage when you select it on the map? Because I don't think there are any collectables that aren't shown on that.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I believe Shantae was one of the last games published for the Game Boy Color, in the era when they were making crossover GBC/GBA games. One of its secrets involves playing the game on a GBA system, where one of the NPCs will teach you an exclusive transformation dance - on a GBC system, she'll just say that it's for Advanced genies only. The dance still works, if you know it, but they won't teach it to you. For some baffling reason, if you own this game on the 3DS, it will also not teach you the dance, even though I'm sure they could have used the GBA emulation engine. Still waiting to get my copy of the Switch remake, which will hopefully include everything. Maybe they're waiting until there's a variant Switch they can tie it to.

One of the most frustrating things about the original game, aside from almost everything about the original game, is that the various warp dances are your reward for trading in Squids, one of the hidden collectibles. You can learn a dance in each town that will warp you back to that town, but I recommend stocking at least four Squids along the way for Rottytops' Caravan. It's a roving town that moves every night, so if you don't know the right dance, you may have some trouble finding it.

I will admit, though, that the original Spider transformation was really neat. It let you climb certain backgrounds freely, which I don't think they've ever done since. It's one of the few things that disappeared after the original game that I actually miss.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Squid Baron's been a fixture since at least Risky's Revenge. He was the first boss there, somewhat deflated by showing up so early in the game and thus clearly not being any challenge at all. In Pirate's Curse, he was more of a character, even indulging Shantae in a bit of questing before turning up as the third boss, claiming that appearing at the game's midpoint meant he was halfway to greatness. I'll leave it to your imagination what role he might have in Seven Sirens.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Finally, I can talk about the two plot expansions that didn't meet their stretch goals in the Kickstarter and thus weren't part of the game. Obviously, I only know the summaries that were provided as previews, since they never got fully plotted. However, one of them was to give Nega-Shantae more than a single cutscene of screen time and have her split from Shantae to become another boss fight/level, which could potentially have led to a DLC mode where you'd play as her, although that probably wouldn't have happened. The other was something about Risky building her own mech, and I think you'd have played as her for that sequence. A callback to the very first game, perhaps. I think the Nega-Shantae arc would have made the game feel a bit more substantial. Not sure about the Risky mech, but I'm sure they would have done something interesting with it had they reached the goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's canon. From the campaign: